[Balin] We're not gonna pay (unusual ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [Balin] We're not gonna pay (unusual type of Lateral Adventure) « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18677
Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Came up with this idea while in Washington. I don't know if anything like it has been done on this forum before, but I figure it's worth a shot. And it's plenty lateral. So enjoy!

Your shift is almost over, working at the nearby movie rental shop. It's been a rough first day of work, but you feel you're getting the hang of the shop - even if the layout is confusing.

It's 10 PM. As you head to clock out, the manager stops you.

"Hold it, rookie," he says. "We have one last important task for you."

"What's that?" you query.

You both walk to his office and he heads to his computer, pulling up some information. "Our inventory count says that nine movies are missing. I have the customers and movies pulled up here, so..."

Suddenly, the lights flicker, and the office goes dark. "Crap," says the manager.

"What's wrong?"

"Lost the information. I can only remember some of it. But I can remember a few things. The nine missing movies were from nine different genres. There was a comedy, a musical, a romance flick, an old black-and-white film..."

"Wait, we have an 'old black-and-white' section?"

"Don't question our system. Anyway, there was also an epic, a sports movie, a sci-fi, a mystery, and something animated. Now..."

The lights come back on and the manager types furiously at his computer. "Rats."

"What?"

"Well, I've got the customers back, but there were five movies missing from each genre this morning. Four of them, each, got returned today, so I don't know what's missing. And I don't know which genre each customer has."

"What were the movies?"

The manager prints out a sheet of paper and hands it to you. "Here. Oh, and here's the customer list," he says, giving you another piece of paper. "Go find these customers and tell them to return their movies. Though I doubt they'll remember which one they have."

You sigh and take the lists, but after scanning them, you pause. "There's only eight customers listed."

"Well, the printer's been having problems," replies the manager. "Only eight of the customers printed out, but I remember the last one."

"Who was it?" you ask.

"You," replies the manager. "Your movie is actually due today, and if you don't return it, the fee will be deducted from your paycheck."

"Speaking of paychecks," you state, "do I get paid for finding all these movies?"

The manager scoffs slightly. "I don't get paid for overtime; why should you? Now get to it."

(Author's note: I'll put the contents of the two lists in the next post. I have to head out for now.)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18678
Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As you turn to leave, the manager grabs the customer list from your hand and scrawls something on it. You look and see that he's written your name and address at the bottom. "I don't need to know my own name and address," you mutter quietly.

You walk out to your car, parked outside the store, prepared to visit the customers. However, as you clap your hand to your pocket, you find that your car keys are missing. You check all your pockets, but nothing.

Sighing, you trudge back to the manager's office. "I can't find my car keys."

"Hang on," he says, tossing you a pair of keys from his pocket. "I'll look around for them while you go get everyone to return the movies. For now, borrow my car."

You catch the keys and head out to the manager's car, the only other car nearby. There is a GPS all set up.

Movie list:

Animated: Finding Nemo, The Lion King, Pinocchio, Shrek, Toy Story

Comedy: Airplane!, Animal House, Blazing Saddles, Dr. Strangelove, MASH

Epic: Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Schindler's List, Spartacus, The Ten Commandments

Musical: Chicago, Hairspray, Les Misérables, Mamma Mia!, The Producers

Mystery: Dial M for Murder, North by Northwest, Rear Window, Rebecca, Vertigo

"Old black-and-white": Casablanca, The Grapes of Wrath, King Kong, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, On the Waterfront

Romance: Annie Hall, From Here to Eternity, The Graduate, Love Story, The Princess Bride

Sci-Fi: Alien, Blade Runner, E.T., Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Sports: Bull Durham, Caddyshack, Miracle, Rocky, Seabiscuit

Customer list:

Charles DeLore, 413 Marcellus Drive

Aaron & Lynn Donaldson, 22 Adams Road

Renée Foster, 98 Sycamore Downs

Colin Harris, 21 Ball Lane

Lindsey Nicks, 4 Grassy Court

Alan Riszky, 3 Second Street

Ethel Smith, 190 Baker Terrace

Roy & Tia Speaker, 66 Reading Way

And handwritten at the bottom of the page:

Maria Collins, 75 Upper Circle
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 932
Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, so each genre has 5 movies listed. 4 of those were returned today, so theoretically we are going to need to determine which genre of movie each person has, and then determine which of the 5 they have.

Before you leave, drop a suggestion in the suggestion box that there should be a way for employees to log which movies were returned.

Might as well head to the first customer's house. Head to Charles DeLore's house and knock/ring the bell/make goofy faces at the door 'til someone answers.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 3920
Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before you head to Charles DeLore's house, carefully read the list. Do any of the names or addresses strike you as familiar?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18680
Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, so each genre has 5 movies listed. 4 of those were returned today, so theoretically we are going to need to determine which genre of movie each person has, and then determine which of the 5 they have. Either that, or we figure out the movie and then eliminate the rest of that genre.

Before you leave, drop a suggestion in the suggestion box that there should be a way for employees to log which movies were returned. There is, but the power surge knocked out the info.

Before you head to Charles DeLore's house, carefully read the list. Do any of the names or addresses strike you as familiar? Well, all the addresses are in this town, same as the store. And of course I recognize my own name and address. However, I'm not familiar with any of the rest.

Might as well head to the first customer's house. Head to Charles DeLore's house and knock/ring the bell/make goofy faces at the door 'til someone answers. I head over to Marcellus Drive and knock on the door. Before long, the door opens, revealing a 40-something-year-old man in his pajamas. He appears to be sucking on something.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 935
Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything interesting on those pajamas? Tell him you're here from the video store and you're looking for the movie he didn't return. When he opens his mouth to answer, see if you can get a look at what he's sucking on.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18681
Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything interesting on those pajamas? No, they're plain red. Tell him you're here from the video store and you're looking for the movie he didn't return. I do so, and he goes over and tears a page off a nearby box calendar. When he opens his mouth to answer, see if you can get a look at what he's sucking on. Well, he didn't open his mouth, so that doesn't help. But he did swallow whatever it is, and popped another one into his mouth. I think it was a cough drop.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18682
Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Googlepedia is not only allowed but encouraged.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4784
Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Balin, this looks really interesting . Can I just ask a basic question about the puzzle itself. Is this a woubit style christmas puzzle as in by following a series of links we will establish which person has each film e.g.

Cough Drop > Cold > Sore Throat > Little Hoarse > Seabiscuit (corny I know) .

Is this the sort of approach or is it more of a story we have to create?
Hardcore (Hardcore)
Username: Hardcore

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See what is on the calendar page. Ask about what movies he rented. If he doesn't remember, show him you list.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18685
Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Balin, this looks really interesting . Can I just ask a basic question about the puzzle itself. Is this a woubit style christmas puzzle as in by following a series of links we will establish which person has each film e.g.

Cough Drop > Cold > Sore Throat > Little Hoarse > Seabiscuit (corny I know) .

Is this the sort of approach or is it more of a story we have to create?

Um... neither really, or maybe a bit of both. Each character has a certain quirk or characteristic that will provide clues to the movie they have rented. The clues may give a hint to the title of the movie, or something else - plot points, actors... this is why I have allowed Wikipedia usage.

As an example, let's say that The Lord of the Rings was on the list, and one person had a ton of Olympic medals. The Olympic symbol is five rings, so someone with a lot of medals could be described as "the lord of the rings." I hope this makes sense.

Oh, and each person is unique - i.e. nothing DeLore does affects Riszky.

See what is on the calendar page. It's a joke-a-day calendar, showing tomorrow's date, June 18. The joke is that lame "interrupting cow" knock-knock. Ask about what movies he rented. If he doesn't remember, show him you list. You ask the question and show him the list, pointing to some of the movies. For each of them, he still says nothing, just giving that "I'm-not-sure" hand wave.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe joke a day = comedy. Or interrupting cow = character that interrupts. Or Saying nothing = silent character. Or cough drops = sick character.

Is there anything else you notice about Charles?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18687
Posted on Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe joke a day = comedy. Or interrupting cow = character that interrupts. Or Saying nothing = silent character. Or cough drops = sick character. Maybe... I need something solid though.

Is there anything else you notice about Charles? Well, he popped another cough drop into his mouth. Oh, there's something odd over there - it's June, but he has a small Christmas tree set up with a small present underneath it.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3935
Posted on Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything else on the calendar page? A handwritten note, maybe?

From the size and shape of the present, can you tell what's inside?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4792
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you ask Charles if he's got a cold? if he's lost his voice? Is it a real tree or an artificial one? Ask Charles if the present is his? or for someone else? Does he know it's June?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18691
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything else on the calendar page? A handwritten note, maybe? No, only the joke and tomorrow's date.

From the size and shape of the present, can you tell what's inside? It's about the size and shape of a deck of cards.

Is it a real tree or an artificial one? Looks real to me. Ask Charles if the present is his? or for someone else? Charles goes over and removes the present from the table - there's no nametag on it. He opens it, and it is indeed a deck of cards, brand-new and still in its packaging. He opens the cards, sits down at the table, and deals out a quick hand of solitaire, but doesn't play it - instead, he stands up and takes another cough drop. Does he know it's June? I would presume so...

Can you ask Charles if he's got a cold? if he's lost his voice? He doesn't answer, but rushes down a hall and apparently upstairs. I go to the foot of the stairs to see what he's up to, and he starts to walk downstairs, now smartly dressed in a black tuxedo. However, he stops as if realizing something and heads back up for a minute, before coming down again with the cheesiest grin I've ever seen. He stops at the foot of the stairs and takes another cough drop.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask him if he is ok... then ask him if he remembers if he saw a mystery.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4795
Posted on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you ask Charles if he's using a particular brand of cough drop? Is there anything different in Charles' attire after he comes downstairs the second time? Is Charles going out? is he a performer of some sort?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18692
Posted on Tuesday, August 27, 2013 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask him if he is ok... then ask him if he remembers if he saw a mystery. He doesn't answer again. I doubt he's going to say anything at all. Instead, he shakes your hand, then starts vacuuming the floor. And he takes another cough drop.

Can you ask Charles if he's using a particular brand of cough drop? They all look the same so I'd assume so, but he's pulling them out of his pocket and putting the wrappers back in that pocket. I can't tell from here. Is there anything different in Charles' attire after he comes downstairs the second time? No, just his grin. Is Charles going out? is he a performer of some sort? I have no way to know that, and I can't ask anything over the sound of the vacuum.

Just a reminder: you're trying to figure out a title for each person's quirks, not a genre. Once you figure out the title, you can eliminate each genre.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3942
Posted on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a bit confused... Where are you? Inside the house? Still on the doorstep?

Is there anything else you notice about the house?

Look at the hand of solitaire and try to play it.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lets see, so far Charles has:
1. Pulled out a page on a joke a day calendar for June 18.
2. Deals out a Game if solitaire.
3. Gets dressed in a tuxedo, then goes back up then down with a cheesy smile.
4. Shakes are hand, then vacuums the floor.
5. Takes lots of cough drops

I guess that this will be the fifth quirk, and then each quirk represents a movie from a genre.

Tell Charles to perform his last act in this strange event to see if there is a sixth quirk.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 937
Posted on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well silent Charles may equal silent movie, but as far as I know, the only silent movie on our list is King Kong, and that doesn't seem terribly in line with his actions.

Out of curiosity, will we be allowed to leave and come back later if we're stuck, or does our schedule not allow for that?

Hrm... Carol Kane's birthday is June 18th, and she was in Annie Hall. (I haven't seen this movie... anyone else care to ring in?) Charles seems a bit neurotic, which I know Woody Allen generally plays up in his movies.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4800
Posted on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking that maybe poor Charles suffers from a touch of dementia?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18695
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a bit confused... Where are you? Inside the house? Still on the doorstep? I've moved back to the foyer.

Is there anything else you notice about the house? No, nothing in particular. It's a very nice house though.

Look at the hand of solitaire and try to play it. I go to, but suddenly Mr. DeLore starts pushing the cards aside, as if he's looking for something. He does this for a few minutes, then spots something on the floor. He puts the something - another playing card - on top of the pile on the right, and rearranges the cards as they were. Then he takes another cough drop.

Lets see, so far Charles has:
1. Pulled out a page on a joke a day calendar for June 18.
2. Deals out a Game if solitaire.
3. Gets dressed in a tuxedo, then goes back up then down with a cheesy smile.
4. Shakes are hand, then vacuums the floor.
5. Takes lots of cough drops

I guess that this will be the fifth quirk, and then each quirk represents a movie from a genre.

Tell Charles to perform his last act in this strange event to see if there is a sixth quirk. OTWT entirely.

Well silent Charles may equal silent movie, but as far as I know, the only silent movie on our list is King Kong, and that doesn't seem terribly in line with his actions. There's no "silent movie" genre at the rental shop.

Out of curiosity, will we be allowed to leave and come back later if we're stuck, or does our schedule not allow for that? I can leave and come back if needed; plenty of time for that.

Hrm... Carol Kane's birthday is June 18th, and she was in Annie Hall. (I haven't seen this movie... anyone else care to ring in?) Charles seems a bit neurotic, which I know Woody Allen generally plays up in his movies. I ponder this out loud, and Charles seems to take notice when I mention Annie Hall, as if he's remembering something, but then just goes back to standing there.

I was thinking that maybe poor Charles suffers from a touch of dementia? That doesn't seem right.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4802
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should we establish what playing card he lifted from the floor?

Is it one of the 52 or maybe the joker or bridge rules?

You mentioned that we're looking for a 'title' for Charles quirks. Do you mean one word that could describe his overall behaviour or is it one title per quirk?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18696
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should we establish what playing card he lifted from the floor? I don't think it matters, but it was facedown so I didn't see it.

Is it one of the 52 or maybe the joker or bridge rules?

You mentioned that we're looking for a 'title' for Charles quirks. Do you mean one word that could describe his overall behaviour or is it one title per quirk? One movie per person. In Charles' case, the quirk is split in two - his actions, and the cough drops. This may vary from person to person.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4806
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Charles does these various things does he seem frenzied at all? is he happy? sad? angry? does he seem to enjoy doing these things?

Is Charles doing magic?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3951
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2013 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a movie called Cough Drop. Could this be relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18697
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Charles does these various things does he seem frenzied at all? is he happy? sad? angry? does he seem to enjoy doing these things? He displays the actual emotions for each things. For instance, when looking for the card, he seemed frantic.

Is Charles doing magic? No, I don't think so.

There's a movie called Cough Drop. Could this be relevant? OTWT entirely.

I remember seeing him flinch when I mentioned Annie Hall. I wonder if that's the right movie.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3956
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Annie Hall starts with a joke, and so does the encounter with Charles. Relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, there's a Christmas scene in Annie Hall, which would fit Charles' Christmas tree.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18698
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Annie Hall starts with a joke, and so does the encounter with Charles. Relevant?
Also, there's a Christmas scene in Annie Hall, which would fit Charles' Christmas tree. OTWT entirely - this is I think the hardest quirk of the entire puzzle, so I'll give you a hint: You want to get the TITLE from Charles' quirks.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3958
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a brand of cough drops called Hall's...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18700
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a brand of cough drops called Hall's... I think that's half of it!
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3961
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2013 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now for the 'Annie' half... are other Annies relevant here? Little Orphan Annie for example, who wears a red coat (Charles' red pyjamas)? And there seems to be a shoe brand called Annie that features a shoe called Tuxedo... Hmm. Just googling around, mainly...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18702
Posted on Monday, September 02, 2013 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now for the 'Annie' half... are other Annies relevant here? Little Orphan Annie for example Very close..., who wears a red coat (Charles' red pyjamas)? And there seems to be a shoe brand called Annie that features a shoe called Tuxedo... Hmm. Just googling around, mainly... No to everything else
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3966
Posted on Monday, September 02, 2013 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a musical and a film called Annie that are based on the comic. The musical and Annie Hall, incidentally, are both from 1977. Any of this relevant?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, September 02, 2013 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait,I'm confused.

Did each customer rent 5 movies, rent movie in a different genre, and we are finding what movie they didn't return, or did each customer rent 1 genre, and we have to find which movie they took, or did each customer rent one movie and didn't return it?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, September 02, 2013 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the tuxedo supposed to represent Oliver Warbucks, Annie's father?

Does the one card that Charles picked off the floor supposed to represent Annie? Is the back of the card red?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18704
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait,I'm confused.

Did each customer rent 5 movies, rent movie in a different genre, and we are finding what movie they didn't return, or did each customer rent 1 genre, and we have to find which movie they took, or did each customer rent one movie and didn't return it? Each customer rented one movie, each from a different genre. You have to figure out which single movie they rented, and then you can eliminate that genre for the other customers.

Is the tuxedo supposed to represent Oliver Warbucks, Annie's father? No.

Does the one card that Charles picked off the floor supposed to represent Annie? No. Is the back of the card red? Irrelevant.

There are a musical and a film called Annie that are based on the comic. The musical and Annie Hall, incidentally, are both from 1977. Any of this relevant? The musical is VERY relevant. Not that tidbit about the year though. If it helps, I've been using the musical's Wikipedia page to plan out Charles' actions. And as another hint, the plot of the musical is not relevant.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4808
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the song 'A new deal for Christmas' relevant. Do Charles actions represent songs from Annie? ....Of course they do... 'You're never fully dressed without a smile' covers the going upstairs tuxedo action.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4809
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh and 'We'd like to thank you Herbert Hoover' would explain the vacuuming handshake thing.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3973
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'A new deal for Christmas' = Charles deals a new hand of solitaire?
'Tomorrow' = The calendar page shows tomorrow's date?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3974
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Something was missing' = The playing card Charles was looking for?
The music was written by Charles Strouse = Charles' first name?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 947
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile' also fits his going back upstairs and coming down smiling.

Ahh, the lovely Boylan sisters! ;-)
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 948
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops, was so dorkily happy to see more musical stuff that I completely missed the fact that Peter already made that comment. Mea culpa.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to add, "a new deal for Christmas" the deal of cards was from a present under the Christmas tree.

I was looking all night at the Wikipedia page and the first thing I looked at was the songs, because it's Balin's puzzle of course, and I saw the song "tomorrow" and I wasn't sure. So I waited and then noticed I was right. Darn you doriana and Peter!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4812
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL Hardcore, I hate it when I'm beaten to the punch like that. My rule is that I'd rather post and be wrong than not post and be right.

We really should have gotten this part more quickly when you consider that Balin is running a musicals themed connections puzzle and he's a complete musical... eh how do I phrase this... NUT!!.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4813
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a wonderful concept Balin. A certain pedant to the gentry would approve I'm sure.

Is it time now to introduce the next customer?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18709
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the song 'A new deal for Christmas' relevant. Do Charles actions represent songs from Annie? ....Of course they do... 'You're never fully dressed without a smile' covers the going upstairs tuxedo action.
Oh and 'We'd like to thank you Herbert Hoover' would explain the vacuuming handshake thing.
'A new deal for Christmas' = Charles deals a new hand of solitaire?
'Tomorrow' = The calendar page shows tomorrow's date?
'Something was missing' = The playing card Charles was looking for?

Now this makes sense! I ask Mr. DeLore about this and he quickly bolts to a nearby shelf, grabs Annie Hall, and shakes my hand before heading off, presumably to return it. That's one down!

Also, his "not sure" hand wave was "Maybe." Nice job, all four of you!

We really should have gotten this part more quickly when you consider that Balin is running a musicals themed connections puzzle and he's a complete musical... eh how do I phrase this... NUT!!. I have no objections to this description. =D

This is a wonderful concept Balin. A certain pedant to the gentry would approve I'm sure. Thanks!

Is it time now to introduce the next customer? Sure. Where should I go now?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3984
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pheww... Let's see if the next one takes that long as well.

Go to the Donaldsons' place.
What does the house look like?
Ring the bell and see what happens.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18710
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pheww... Let's see if the next one takes that long as well. It shouldn't.

Go to the Donaldsons' place. I drive over to Adams Rd and find the correct house.
What does the house look like? It's actually a duplex, adjacent to 24 on the other side.
Ring the bell and see what happens. I ring the bell. The door opens and a man wearing a knitted sweater opens it. He looks to be in his late 20s. This must be Aaron.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3985
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Introduce yourself and ask him for the movie.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18711
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Introduce yourself and ask him for the movie. He invites me inside to the living room, where a woman (I suppose this is Lynn), also wearing a knit sweater, sits in a blue armchair. Aaron takes a seat opposite Lynn, in another blue armchair. I ask about the movie, and Aaron says, "I'm afraid I can't recall which movie we rented." Lynn responds, "Nor can I recall which movie we rented."
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3986
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What else is there in the living room? Do you notice anything interesting? Show them the list and ask them if they can remember anything now.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4820
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you ask Aaron or Lynn whether the know the person/people living across the street at number 24 (can't help thinking you mentioned that for a reason)

Can you check an assumption by asking whether Aaron & Lynn are man and wife and not brother and sister?

What colour are their sweaters? Are they plain or is there a pattern?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell them you like their sweaters. Then ask where they got them.

Ask them if they remember anything at all about the movie, like a specific scene, or character, or line.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18713
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What else is there in the living room? Do you notice anything interesting? Not much - a couple of lamps, some bookshelves, two nightstands...]

Show them the list and ask them if they can remember anything now. Aaron shakes his head. "Nope, nothing." "Nothing," Lynn echoes.

Can you ask Aaron or Lynn whether the know the person/people living across the street at number 24 (can't help thinking you mentioned that for a reason) \b["That side's been empty for a couple months now," says Aaron. "No one lives there." Lynn repeats, "That's right, it's empty; no one lives there."

Can you check an assumption by asking whether Aaron & Lynn are man and wife and not brother and sister? I ask Aaron this, and he states, "We've been married for 6 years," showing me his ring. "We were college sweethearts." Lynn nods in agreement. "College sweethearts," she replies, showing me her identical rings. "6 years."

What colour are their sweaters? Are they plain or is there a pattern? They're both a plain dark green.

Tell them you like their sweaters. Both say, "Thank you." Then ask where they got them. Aaron says that his mother made them as a wedding present. Lynn nods and comments, "Yep, his mom made them."

Ask them if they remember anything at all about the movie, like a specific scene, or character, or line. Both shake their heads no.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3987
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, Lynn repeats more or less everything Adam says... interesting...

Ask Lynn where she gets her hair done. (Just to see whether she answers at all, without Aaron's help.}
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18714
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, Lynn repeats more or less everything Aaron says... interesting...

Ask Lynn where she gets her hair done. (Just to see whether she answers at all, without Aaron's help.) Lynn answers, "I go to a salon on Fourth Street called "Marian's." Aaron nods in agreement, saying, "Yep, she goes to Marian's."
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For my own sanity in not having to keep scrolling up to see this --

Epic: Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Schindler's List, Spartacus, The Ten Commandments

"Old black-and-white": Casablanca, The Grapes of Wrath, King Kong, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, On the Waterfront

Sci-Fi: Alien, Blade Runner, E.T., Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Romance genre removed as we have found the responsible customer.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 950
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... they are repeating each other almost exactly. Ask them if King Kong rings any bells. Or possibly Spartacus (based on the "I am Spartacus" scene).

Ask them if there's anything they want to show us, or to tell us something about themselves.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 3992
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a quick questions: Are the people's names or addresses relevant in any of the cases?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18715
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... they are repeating each other almost exactly. Ask them if King Kong rings any bells. Or possibly Spartacus (based on the "I am Spartacus" scene). They both shake their heads. "No, we've seen those already," says Lynn. "Yeah, we've already seen them," replies Aaron.

Ask them if there's anything they want to show us, or to tell us something about themselves. I don't know exactly what to ask. Could you be more specific, please?

Something I just now noticed - the two Donaldsons look almost identical. It's as if one is a copy of the other - I guess what they say about married people looking alike is true.

Just a quick questions: Are the people's names or addresses relevant in any of the cases? ...Yes. Their names or addresses can be relevant.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to guess that the second part of the title is about the repeating and the first part is the names and numbers.

I notice there is 2 of everything. Duplex, 2 chairs, 2 rings, sweaters, and they say every thing twice.

For places, we have:
24 Adams rd.
4 st. Marian's
6 (married)
20 (age)

Maybe 4 st. Marian's is 4 saint Marians and Adams rd. Is dr. Adams.

Or maybe I'm crazy.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mirror= rear window?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 951
Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynn and Aaron also each have a doubled letter in their names.

Ask them what the last movie they rented before this one was.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I have a list of movies with double letters:

Animated: Pinocchio
Comedy: Blazing saddles
Epic: The ten commandments
Musical: Mamma Mia!
Mystery: Rebecca
Sci-fi: 2001: A space odyssey
Sports: Caddyshack

Wow balin, you just had to do that with the names. Well, that's part 1 done. The only genre without a double was old black and white.

Nice job kalira!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18717
Posted on Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to guess that the second part of the title is about the repeating and the first part is the names and numbers. That's not how it works this time. Remember, some of the quirks give titles, others give plot points, character names, actors, locations, or something else to do with the movie. This one is not a title.

I notice there is 2 of everything. Duplex, 2 chairs, 2 rings, sweaters, and they say every thing twice. I did notice that. Like I said, it's as one is a copy of the other.

For places, we have:
24 Adams rd.
4 st. Marian's
6 (married)
20 (age)

Maybe 4 st. Marian's is 4 saint Marians and Adams rd. Is dr. Adams.

Or maybe I'm crazy.

I'll save you the trouble and tell you that's all OTWT.

Mirror= rear window? I ask them about Rear Window, but they shake their heads. "Haven't seen any Hitchcock films lately," Aaron says. Lynn agrees, "No Hitchcock lately."

Ask them what the last movie they rented before this one was. "Gee, I can't remember. It's been a while since we've rented anything," Aaron says. Lynn echoes, "Haven't rented anything in a while."

Lynn and Aaron also each have a doubled letter in their names.

Ok, I have a list of movies with double letters:

Animated: Pinocchio
Comedy: Blazing saddles
Epic: The ten commandments
Musical: Mamma Mia!
Mystery: Rebecca
Sci-fi: 2001: A space odyssey
Sports: Caddyshack

Wow balin, you just had to do that with the names. Well, that's part 1 done. The only genre without a double was old black and white.

Nice job kalira!

This is very impressive logic. Unfortunately, this is also incorrect.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe copy's are important? Like the imposter in Vertigo?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4823
Posted on Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mad thought but as things seemed to be grouped in twos are there any relevant biblical references?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 952
Posted on Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many of the characters in Hairspray have repeated initials (Tracy Turnblad, Link Larkin, Penny Pingleton, etc.). There are also several returning actors who were in the original movie. Is there anything to this or am I just grasping at straws?

Is the only relevant thing their copying/looking similar? or are the other details also of importance?

Could it possibly be Blade Runner? The replicants are pretty much duplicates of humans, and one of them is specifically described as having implanted human memories.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18720
Posted on Friday, September 06, 2013 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could it possibly be Blade Runner? The replicants are pretty much duplicates of humans, and one of them is specifically described as having implanted human memories. I ask them about Blade Runner, and they both jump up. "That's it!" says Aaron, as Lynn grabs a movie from a nearby shelf. "Yep, that's it," states Lynn, as the two head out the door.

The only hint for that one was their copying each other. Copy -> Replica -> Replicant.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, September 06, 2013 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lets meet Renee Foster. When you get there, introduce yourself and state your business. Show her the list and ask her if you can come in. Describe Renee, her house, and the inside of her house.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18722
Posted on Friday, September 06, 2013 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lets meet Renee Foster. When you get there, introduce yourself and state your business. Show her the list and ask her if you can come in. Describe Renee, her house, and the inside of her house. I drive over to Sycamore Downs, and can hear some faint music pulling into the driveway. I knock on the door - the music is louder now - but no one answers. I try the knob, and it turns. I enter the house and the music is blaring, so I cover my ears quickly and look around. I head into the kitchen and there is Renée, wearing a red windbreaker, sitting in a chair with her back to me. She's bopping her head to the beat.

I try getting her attention, and even shouting, but I don't think she can hear me over the music.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4824
Posted on Friday, September 06, 2013 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you recognise the song?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 4004
Posted on Friday, September 06, 2013 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tap on her shoulder to get her attention.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, September 06, 2013 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sycamore downs sounds like some kind groovy disco dance song album...

As soon as you get her attention, state your business, ask her to turn off the music, and show her the list, if you can get her attention...
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4825
Posted on Friday, September 06, 2013 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sycamore Downs triggered an almost pavlovian like response from me and made me think of Horse Racing, too obvious I'm sure but nothing ventured...

p.s. Impressive kill by Kalira of the Bladerunner clue.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 953
Posted on Friday, September 06, 2013 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Silly Peter, in Blade Runner, it's "retire," not "kill." But thanks ;-)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18724
Posted on Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you recognise the song? No, but I think it's dubstep. I hate dubstep.

Tap on her shoulder to get her attention. She waves me off and keeps listening to the music. UGH.

As soon as you get her attention, state your business, ask her to turn off the music, and show her the list, if you can get her attention... I can't seem to get her attention...

Sycamore Downs triggered an almost pavlovian like response from me and made me think of Horse Racing, too obvious I'm sure but nothing ventured... Nice try. But no.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 4014
Posted on Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you tell where the music comes from? If so, try to turn it off.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18726
Posted on Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you tell where the music comes from? I can - there's a CD player on the counter, and the music's coming from there. If so, try to turn it off. I walk over and eject the CD from the player, stopping the music. The woman turns to look at me. "For... that was... HECK! The... what?" she yells.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

State your business now! finally, ay yi yi...
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What the... HECK! was... That for...

That is phrased weird...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18728
Posted on Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What the... HECK! was... That for...

That is phrased weird... Yes, it was. That's very strange.

State your business now! finally, ay yi yi... I tell Ms. Foster about the movie. "Movie? Which..." she says, scratching her head, before finally shrugging her shoulders. "Remember? Can't."
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 4018
Posted on Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She's talking backwards... and she's sitting with her back turned to you. Maybe there's a movie that tells the story in reverse chronological order? I haven't seen most of the movies on the list, so I need some cineasts to help me out!

Do you notice anything else that seems to be the wrong way round in her house?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, September 07, 2013 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is there a (...) after every word? Is that part of the puzzle or has balin kitteh has had too mani cheezeburgurs?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18730
Posted on Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She's talking backwards... and she's sitting with her back turned to you. Maybe there's a movie that tells the story in reverse chronological order? I haven't seen most of the movies on the list, so I need some cineasts to help me out! Only one I can think of is Memento, but that's not on the list... maybe this is the wrong track...

Do you notice anything else that seems to be the wrong way round in her house? No, just her.

Why is there a (...) after every word? Is that part of the puzzle or has balin kitteh has had too mani cheezeburgurs? No, it was to make the syntax of the backwards talk look a little bit less clunky.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18733
Posted on Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By "wrong track" I refer to "movie in reverse chronological order". The backwards bit is correct.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 4039
Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe it' a movie with a character that talks backwards. Or walks backwards. Or travels through time backwards. Or is backward in the sense of slow. Hmm. Any of these at least slightly OTRT?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18738
Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe it' a movie with a character that talks backwards. Or walks backwards. Or travels through time backwards. Or is backward in the sense of slow. Hmm. Any of these at least slightly OTRT? No, all OTWT.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 954
Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Romance and Sci-fi down, seven more to go.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 955
Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So there's music (dubstep) playing, and something about backwards. Well the "obvious" choice here would be "Rear Window." Backwards = rear, etc. Not sure how the music would tie in, though, unless it's not actually dubstep but just a piece of music played backward.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dubstep is supposed to be a robotic and technological sound. Maybe something robotic?

Is backwards relevant? Dubstep?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18742
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So there's music (dubstep) playing, and something about backwards. Well the "obvious" choice here would be "Rear Window." Backwards = rear, etc. Not sure how the music would tie in, though, unless it's not actually dubstep but just a piece of music played backward. OTRT (still a little off though), but wrong movie.

Dubstep is supposed to be a robotic and technological sound. Maybe something robotic? No

Is backwards relevant? Yes Dubstep? No (ish)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4832
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Working on a really wild theory.....

Is Renee holding a drink by any chance?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18743
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Working on a really wild theory.....

Is Renee holding a drink by any chance? No.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4834
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darn....

Is Renee still sitting with her back to you? Can you go to her front and tell us if you notice anything else relevant about her? or your surroundings? is her mood obvious or relevant?

Is a particular word spelt backwards relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18746
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darn....

Is Renee still sitting with her back to you? Yes. Can you go to her front and tell us if you notice anything else relevant about her? I do so, but she swivels in her chair so as to put her back to me again. or your surroundings? It's an ordinary kitchen, with the CD player on the counter. is her mood obvious or relevant? Seems frustrated with me.

Is a particular word spelt backwards relevant? Yes, though not quite a "word".
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A name? Of a character? A title? An actor?

I keep thinking skrillex= Shrek...

Nemo= omen?

Renee foster
Retsof eener
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4837
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the fact that her surname is Foster relevant? Australian lager relevant? Lager backwards is Regal which might throw up 'The Lion King' or 'King Kong'.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18748
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A name? Of a character? A title? An actor?

I keep thinking skrillex= Shrek...

Nemo= omen?

Renee foster
Retsof eener

Is the fact that her surname is Foster relevant? Australian lager relevant? Lager backwards is Regal which might throw up 'The Lion King' or 'King Kong'.

I'll just save space and say No to all of this.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 958
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pets bud? Is there a way for us to listen to the song in reverse?

Don't feel bad about the Skrillex = Shrek thing, btw, Hardcore. I went there myself, so you're definitely not alone :-)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18750
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pets bud? No. Is there a way for us to listen to the song in reverse? I don't think the CD player has a reverse setting.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 959
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask Renee what she was listening to.

Looking at the list of movies, all I can think about is RED RUM (looking at Dial M for Murder). I know that's probably not it, it's just what's going on in my brain right now.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2013 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is something spelt backwards? A phrase? Action? Character?

Palindrome?

maybe we should go to a different address so we can eliminate more genres. Lets go to baker terrace! if that's ok with everybody
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4842
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2013 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira , that's amazing . When I asked the question about whether Renee was holding a drink i was hoping she'd have a glass of rum in her hand just so I could arrive at Red Rum. I then asked what her mood was like hoping the answer would be laidback because laid back would be Dial which would have led me to Dial M for Murder.

It's either great minds think alike or fools seldom differ but nice to know my wild thoughts are shared by another.

Another random thought, is 'Little Red Riding Hood' relevant?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 4173
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2013 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could her red wind breaker be a reference to the little girl in the red coat from 'Schindler's List' (the only item shown in color in that entire film)?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18754
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask Renee what she was listening to. "There - music, that," she says, pointing at the open CD player.

Looking at the list of movies, all I can think about is RED RUM (looking at Dial M for Murder). I know that's probably not it, it's just what's going on in my brain right now. That's not it, but interesting thought.

Kalira , that's amazing . When I asked the question about whether Renee was holding a drink i was hoping she'd have a glass of rum in her hand just so I could arrive at Red Rum. I then asked what her mood was like hoping the answer would be laidback because laid back would be Dial which would have led me to Dial M for Murder.

It's either great minds think alike or fools seldom differ but nice to know my wild thoughts are shared by another.

Brilliant logic, excellent thoughts - all incorrect though. It's not as complicated as that.

Another random thought, is 'Little Red Riding Hood' relevant? No

Could her red wind breaker be a reference to the little girl in the red coat from 'Schindler's List' (the only item shown in color in that entire film)? It could be... but it isn't. Sorry.

Is something spelt backwards? Yes. A phrase? Action? Character? None of these though.

Palindrome? No

maybe we should go to a different address so we can eliminate more genres. Lets go to baker terrace! if that's ok with everybody

I leave Ms. Foster's house for now and drive to Baker Terrace. I walk up the path to the door and knock. An elderly lady opens the door and I explain the situation. "Oh, do come in!" she says, introducing herself as Ethel Smith. I walk in to her living room and sit down in an armchair. There's not much to this room - a small TV with a DVD player underneath it, a couple nightstands with books on them, a few shelves.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Show her the magical list of potato's, cheezeburgurs, and kittehs! Or movies.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18755
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Show her the magical list of potato's, cheezeburgurs, and kittehs! Or movies. That hasn't worked for anyone so far; I doubt it'll help with Ms. Smith.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Describe mrs. Smith and her house. Colors and everything.

Say it is a pretty house. Get her talking.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18756
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Describe mrs. Smith and her house. Colors and everything. She seems to be around 70, wearing a nightgown. The house is fairly small, but she seems to like it that way.

Say it is a pretty house. Get her talking. It is, so I do mention that. "Yes, it is nice. It's a bit small, but I live alone, so I don't mind at all." I show her the list of movies, and she shrugs. "I read a lot more than I watch movies. I did rent one, but I cannot remember which one it is or where I put it."
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

King Kong?

She seems to be talking in rhyme.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18761
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

King Kong?

She seems to be talking in rhyme. I don't think she's been talking in rhyme, but I suggest that, and she shakes her head. "No, I haven't seen that.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2013 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask her if she remembers the name of the last book she read.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18762
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask her if she remembers the name of the last book she read. "Why, I believe it's right there on the table next to you."
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the title?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18768
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the title? I pick up the book and look at the cover. It is called "The Great Big Picture Book of Nursery Rhymes."
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask her which nursery rhyme she was reading.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18770
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask her which nursery rhyme she was reading. "Oh, I can't remember. I read a lot." Perhaps I should read the book myself.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finding nemo?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18771
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finding nemo? Pretty sure that's not a nursery rhyme, but I ask about that movie. "Oh no, dearie. I haven't seen many films."
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4849
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the main protagonist of the Nursery Rhyme a boy or a girl? I take it Ethel would not understand the concept of an LTPF list of Nursery Rhymes

Is Ethel's address relevant? Baker... Pat-a-cake? The Muffin Man? Sherlock Holmes relevant at all?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18772
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the main protagonist of the Nursery Rhyme a boy or a girl? I pick up the book of nursery rhymes and flip through it, finding one bookmarked:

Rub-a-dub-dub,
Three men in a tub,
And who do you think they be?
The butcher, the baker,
The candlestick-maker,
All put out to sea.

I take a peek at the picture illustrating the rhyme. That's odd - instead of a butcher, a baker, and a candlestick maker in the tub, the picture shows three bakers. They're each wearing a chef's hat and holding a tray of rolls. Strange.

I take it Ethel would not understand the concept of an LTPF list of Nursery Rhymes Nah, the fourth wall is pretty solid here.

Is Ethel's address relevant? Baker... Well, it seems "Baker" might be relevant, especially given the picture. Pat-a-cake? The Muffin Man? Sherlock Holmes relevant at all? But I can't see how these might be any use.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For a rhyme I keep thinking musical, and for three bakers I keep thinking Mamma Mia! To... Many... PUZZLES! *Explodes dramatically..
with kittehs*
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask her if she has any relatives? If she knows a mr. Smith
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 968
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Romance and Sci-fi down, seven more to go.

Renee Foster potential clues: red windbreaker, dubstep(?), something backwards

Ethel Smith potential clues: Baker (name of street + rhyme), books, little old lady
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 969
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know on MASH the series, writers used to name nurses Able, Baker, and Charlie, based on the phonetic alphabet used at the time of the Korean war. Been a while since I saw the movie, so not sure if it's done there, but is that relevant at all?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18773
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know on MASH the series, writers used to name nurses Able, Baker, and Charlie, based on the phonetic alphabet used at the time of the Korean war. Been a while since I saw the movie, so not sure if it's done there, but is that relevant at all? No; I have actually not seen the movie. OTWT. (Doesn't eliminate it though; there's some movies that are correct answers that I haven't seen.)
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 970
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm. I think I may be a complete dummy.

Bakers at sea in the rhyme. Biscuits are made by bakers. Seabiscuit?
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin, you missed my questions! Are you eating to maniez cheezburgurs?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18774
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm. I think I may be a complete dummy.

Bakers at sea in the rhyme. Biscuits are made by bakers. Seabiscuit? I ask about it, but she shakes her head. "No, but I did see that one a few weeks ago."
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 971
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But... but... it fit so nicely...
*kalira falls out of her chair*
Le sigh. Moving backward again.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18776
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But... but... it fit so nicely...
*kalira falls out of her chair*
Le sigh. Moving backward again.
You were right to focus on the bakers. Look at the description of the picture again.
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2013 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin, you missed my questions! They are exactly above the post of the genres we have left.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18778
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin, you missed my questions! They are exactly above the post of the genres we have left. And I missed them twice - sorry. Remedied.

For a rhyme I keep thinking musical, and for three bakers I keep thinking Mamma Mia! To... Many... PUZZLES! *Explodes dramatically.. with kittehs* OTWT. Focus on the three bakers.

Ask her if she has any relatives? If she knows a mr. Smith I'll just go ahead and say that's irrelevant.

Renee Foster potential clues: red windbreaker, No dubstep(?), Not "dubstep," but the music, in some aspect, is a clue something backwards Yes

Ethel Smith potential clues: Baker (name of street + rhyme), Yes - focus on the "three bakers" That's all you need for this one books, little old lady
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For Renee foster, should we spell CD backwards and get DC? Mr smith goes to Washington?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18780
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For Renee foster, should we spell CD backwards and get DC? Mr smith goes to Washington? I quickly drive back over to Ms. Foster's house, turn off the CD again, and ask about that movie. She gets up, searches through a cabinet, and pulls out Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. "You... thank," she says, leaving through the back door.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 4060
Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back to Ethel Smith's house. Ask her if she remembers whether there was an actor called Baker in the movie.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18782
Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back to Ethel Smith's house. Ask her if she remembers whether there was an actor called Baker in the movie. I return to Ms. Smith's house and pose this question. "I don't recall, dear."
Hardcore (Hardcore)

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are rolls relevant?
Chef hats?
Trays?
3 bakers?
Bakers?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18784
Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are rolls relevant? Yes
Chef hats?
Trays?
3 bakers? And yes
Bakers?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 975
Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Complete aside... Thought this up today, since I can't think of a guess. With apologies:

Once upon a workday dreary,
As I pondered, bored and weary,
Over such a quaint and curious
Adventure of things Lateral.
While I read it (quite distressing!),
Never did there come a guessing,
As of someone reassessing
Something supernatural.
Nor a stab collateral.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Latventure.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 4067
Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that roll and role are homophones?
Are there three actors named Baker in the movie who each played a role?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18789
Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Complete aside... Thought this up today, since I can't think of a guess. With apologies:

Once upon a workday dreary,
As I pondered, bored and weary,
Over such a quaint and curious
Adventure of things Lateral.
While I read it (quite distressing!),
Never did there come a guessing,
As of someone reassessing
Something supernatural.
Nor a stab collateral.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Latventure. Very well writ. Poe would be proud.

Relevant that roll and role are homophones? Yes
Are there three actors named Baker in the movie who each played a role? No, getting there though
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4870
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are three different actors named Baker relevant? Has the same character been played by actors called baker? Are the bakers all men?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18795
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are three different actors named Baker relevant? Has the same character been played by actors called baker? Are the bakers all men? No to all of these, OTWT. HINT: The word "Baker" is not what you're looking for.
Kyeannpepper (Kyeannpepper)
Username: Kyeannpepper

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The profession 'baker'? Are there three bakers in the film?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18798
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The profession 'baker'? Are there three bakers in the film? No to both. Remember my answer to Doriana's last questions.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 984
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we looking for some synonym of sorts for baker? Cook? Breadmaker? *looks at movie list* Producer?

Bread --> money? Is that a road we should go down?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18801
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we looking for some synonym of sorts for baker? Yes, a "synonym of sorts" Cook? Breadmaker? *looks at movie list* Producer? None of these. Remember the roll/role relevance.

Bread --> money? Is that a road we should go down? No
Ba1in (Ba1in)
Username: Ba1in

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: The hint from the nursery rhyme involves one of the actors in the correct movie.
King_louie2 (King_louie2)
Username: King_louie2

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Three different characters in one? Is the fact that Peter Sellers played three different roles in Dr. Strangelove relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4895
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the clue a homophone of a word that is a synonym of baker?

Longshot this but is the military term Doughboy relevant as this could be a cryptic definition of a baker?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Three different characters in one? Is the fact that Peter Sellers played three different roles in Dr. Strangelove relevant? Very much relevant.

I ask Ms. Smith about Dr. Strangelove and a look of realization comes over her face. "Oh yes, that's the one I rented. Thank you for reminding me." She rummages through a drawer for a moment and pulls out a movie, then heads out the door.

The clue: three bakers with rolls = three roll sellers = three-role Sellers
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charles DeLore, 413 Marcellus Drive
Aaron & Lynn Donaldson, 22 Adams Road
Renée Foster, 98 Sycamore Downs

Colin Harris, 21 Ball Lane
Lindsey Nicks, 4 Grassy Court
Alan Riszky, 3 Second Street
Ethel Smith, 190 Baker Terrace
Roy & Tia Speaker, 66 Reading Way
Maria Collins, 75 Upper Circle

Well, hie thee on to another house... Let's say Mr. Riszky's place. Knock or ring, as the case may be, and introduce yourself and tell him why you're there.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, hie thee on to another house... Let's say Mr. Riszky's place. Knock or ring, as the case may be, and introduce yourself and tell him why you're there.

I drive over to Second Street, but on my way, I notice the car is slowing down. Shoot - it's out of gas. Fortunately, I see the neon lights of a "Coconuts" gas station nearby - well, most of the lights, the T and second C are burned out - and pull up to a pump, where the car comes to a stop. There is a sign on the pump: "Prepay after 6 PM."
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have any money with you? If so, use it to fill up the tank.

Are there other cars/people at the gas station? Do you notice anything else?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there other cars/people at the gas station? Do you notice anything else? No, nothing in particular. There's only one car, in a parking space near the entrance. It's fairly late at night, so the gas station is empty.
Do you have any money with you? If so, use it to fill up the tank. I do have a credit card, but since the sign says, "Prepay," I should head inside.

I walk into the gas station, heading straight for the counter. "Hi, I'd like 25 dollars on..."

"Hold it right there, missy," says the woman at the counter. "No siphoning."

This is strange. "Siphoning? No, I want to..."

"Quiet!" she states. "You have all the equipment for it. No siphoning allowed."

O-kayyy...

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, October 04, 2013 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it appears we have another "mystery" on our hands... perhaps we look behind our "Rear Window" in our trunk to see what "equipment" we indeed have to work with.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, October 04, 2013 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it appears we have another "mystery" on our hands... perhaps we look behind our "Rear Window" in our trunk to see what "equipment" we indeed have to work with. Well, this is my boss's car, but I open up his trunk. Nothing out of the ordinary in there - jumper cables, emergency reflectors, first aid kit... that sort of thing.

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, CO ONU S is almost the reverse of SUNOCO, so maybe the "prepay" works backwards, too...

Start pumping gas and see what happens.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2013 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, CO ONU S is almost the reverse of SUNOCO, so maybe the "prepay" works backwards, too...

Start pumping gas and see what happens. The pump won't work without payment.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4908
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hold it right there missy? Does the lady think you're a woman ?

Go back inside but this time with your Credit Card clearly visible in your hand. Explain that you want to pay for gas. Ask to speak to the manager if she continues to act in this strange manner.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are a woman, Peter... Remember our name was the last one on the list, written in pencil? Maria Collins.

Try turning your back to her and handing her the card behind your back?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hold it right there missy? Does the lady think you're a woman ?

We are a woman, Peter... Remember our name was the last one on the list, written in pencil? Maria Collins.

Go back inside but this time with your Credit Card clearly visible in your hand. Explain that you want to pay for gas. Ask to speak to the manager if she continues to act in this strange manner. I do this, but the woman - according to the badge pinned to her shirt, her name is Meg Nata - still declares "No siphoning equipment!" I ask to speak to the manager, but she just shakes her head. "No. Siphoning."

Try turning your back to her and handing her the card behind your back? I try, but I can still hear her: "No siphoning! I can see you have the equipment.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4909
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yeah I forgot that we're a lady in all of this. Is the colour Magenta relevant?

Ask her to go and fill your car for you.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yeah I forgot that we're a lady in all of this. Is the colour Magenta relevant? I did not even think of that. No, but OTRT.

Ask her to go and fill your car for you. Ms. Nata shakes her head. "Self-serve. And no siphoning. Get rid of the equipment."

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a cell phone visible? If so, put it away.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a cell phone visible? If so, put it away. My phone is in my pocket, but she can't see it. Even so, I put it in the car before coming back in. "No siphoning!" That didn't work.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4910
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She is,wearing a name tag yes? Thats another anagram of her name. Is there anything else written there?

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no one has bothered to ask if there is a credit card reader on the pump itself, but for some reason, I doubt this is that simple...

Actually, I'm thinking that this may give us another movie clue, perhaps about our own movie, even???

Did we make it all the way to Second Street? If not, is our current street relevant?

Are we still wearing a nametag from the store?

Do we perhaps need to purchase something from inside the store to be able to purchase/pump fuel?

I know these are all probably way off base, but just trying to get some momentum going...
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is an anagram of "No siphoning" relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She is,wearing a name tag yes? Thats another anagram of her name. So it is. Is there anything else written there? No, just her name.

no one has bothered to ask if there is a credit card reader on the pump itself, but for some reason, I doubt this is that simple... Might as well try it. I check the pump and there is a card reader. I swipe, but the display shows the message "PLEASE PREPAY".

Actually, I'm thinking that this may give us another movie clue, perhaps about our own movie, even??? No, this is the halfway puzzle. No movie hints here.

Did we make it all the way to Second Street? If not, is our current street relevant? The GPS showed about a mile or so to go, but I didn't see the street name as I pulled in, and there are no visible signs nearby.

Are we still wearing a nametag from the store? I am. I'm still wearing my work uniform - blue polo shirt, nametag, khakis, black shoes.

Do we perhaps need to purchase something from inside the store to be able to purchase/pump fuel? I doubt it. She's been yelling about my possessing siphoning equipment, so I think she wants me to not take something into the station.

I know these are all probably way off base, but just trying to get some momentum going...

Is an anagram of "No siphoning" relevant? No, but OTRT
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4913
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have an iPhone? the word siphoning almost contains an iphone....(more increasingly desperate questions later)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have an iPhone? the word siphoning almost contains an iphone....(more increasingly desperate questions later) I do, but that's not the answer. Remember, Ms. Nata keeps saying "No siphoning - I can see you have the equipment. So maybe it's something actually used for siphoning she's yelling about.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Shoe" anagrams to "hose," which is used in siphoning... perhaps try going in without your shoes on?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Shoe" anagrams to "hose," which is used in siphoning... perhaps try going in without your shoes on? I leave my shoes in the car and walk in. Ms. Nata looks at me and says, "How can I help you?" Slightly unnerved by this demeanor switch, I give her my credit card and ask for $25 on the pump. She swipes the card and returns it, saying, "Have a good evening." I head out and fill up the tank.

Should I continue to Second Street, or ought I go somewhere else?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wheeeee, all gassed up and nowhere to go... oh wait... that whole job thing. Damn.

Yeah, let's go ahead and continue on to Second Street. And once more, knock or ring, as the case may be, and introduce yourself and tell him why you're there.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wheeeee, all gassed up and nowhere to go... oh wait... that whole job thing. Damn.

Yeah, let's go ahead and continue on to Second Street. And once more, knock or ring, as the case may be, and introduce yourself and tell him why you're there. I drive up to Mr. Riszky's house, but as I approach the front door, I see a sign on it: "Visitors Go Around Back Please".

I walk around back, where I see a gigantic shed painted to resemble... what I'd guess to be a kitchen sink. I find the door and walk in, where I am granted by what I believe to be the strangest sight I've seen tonight.

There's a man running around on the floor (which is painted to look like an ace of diamonds, by the way - weird), swinging a piece of wood at a duck, which flapping around all over the place, apparently trying to direct it towards a goat baa-ing away in the corner.

OK... so this is Mr. Riszky. I'd leave, but I doubt my manager would let me off the hook so easily.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2013 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And I thought Mr DeLore was crazy...

Try to get his attention and tell him why you're there.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And I thought Mr DeLore was crazy...

Try to get his attention and tell him why you're there. I call out to him and he glances back at me, calling out, "I'm listening!" before turning back to flailing that board at the duck. I explain why I've come by, but Mr. Riszky just hollers, "I can't remember what I rented! And I don't know what I'm doing either!" No kidding...
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Updated movie list

Luke 23:34 relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Luke 23:34 relevant? Creative, but No.

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diamond = baseball diamond?
Swinging a piece of wood = swinging a bat?
As for the other visuals, I'm not drawing any connections... maybe some of the other brilliant lateralists can.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diamond = baseball diamond?
Swinging a piece of wood = swinging a bat?
As for the other visuals, I'm not drawing any connections... maybe some of the other brilliant lateralists can.

It's actually a pretty big piece of wood. Mr. Riszky just took a breather, and I got a better look at it. The wood has three circular holes in it, and the center one is largest.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2013 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the piece of wood a pillory?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2013 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the piece of wood a pillory? Actually, it does look like a stock... er, stocks... whatever it's called. Yeah, that's what it is.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4918
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you ask Mr Riszky if he's trying to hit the duck with the stocks? or is he trying to catch it?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can, take a closer look at the duck and the goat. Anything of note?

Thinking/noting aloud -- no need to confirm/deny this stuff, Balin :-)
  • a corner goat, or perhaps a goat corner {depending on which is the important part)
  • Riszky is "stock"ing the duck, or maybe trying to duck the goat (again, depending on which is the important part)
  • a red ace of diamonds
  • we had to go to the back
  • we are currently inside a "sink"ing shed
I'm still stuck on baseball at the moment, which is probably not helping us.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4919
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira, I'm like you in that I've also got something stuck in my mind and I can't shake it off. I keep think about Frasier Crane. Mr Riszky's use of 'I'm Listening' and the stocks could be a vehicle for 'tossed salads'. I know none of this is relevant but 'I don't know what to do with those tossed salads and scrambled eggs. They're calling again' (now spend rest of day humming Frasier theme tune)
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I know that diamonds mean money for this art". Is that relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you ask Mr Riszky if he's trying to hit the duck with the stocks? or is he trying to catch it? It looks like he's trying to hit it towards the goat.

If you can, take a closer look at the duck and the goat. Anything of note? Not particularly, except that Mr. Riszky is trying to hit the duck towards the goat.

Thinking/noting aloud -- no need to confirm/deny this stuff, Balin :-)
a corner goat, or perhaps a goat corner {depending on which is the important part) "Goat" is important, "corner" is not
Riszky is "stock"ing the duck, or maybe trying to duck the goat (again, depending on which is the important part) Hmm... he's trying to hit the duck with the stock towards the goat. Think that.
a red ace of diamonds Has some importance
we had to go to the back Not important
we are currently inside a "sink"ing shed "Sink" is important, "sinking" is not, nor is "shed"
I'm still stuck on baseball at the moment, which is probably not helping us. Not baseball, no.

Kalira, I'm like you in that I've also got something stuck in my mind and I can't shake it off. I keep think about Frasier Crane. Mr Riszky's use of 'I'm Listening' and the stocks could be a vehicle for 'tossed salads'. I know none of this is relevant And you are correct in that assumption but 'I don't know what to do with those tossed salads and scrambled eggs. They're calling again' (now spend rest of day humming Frasier theme tune)

"I know that diamonds mean money for this art". Is that relevant? No
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The duck - the drake?
The goat - scapegoat?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The duck - the drake?
The goat - scapegoat?
No, OTWT
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is 'stock' as in 'stock exchange' relevant? Sinking stocks?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh wait, you said 'sinking' is not important. Forget about the last question.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WAG: duck + goat = duckgoat ~ Dakota?

South Dakota is the setting of the end of NbNW... Not sure how the other parts would fit in, but maybe this would be a start?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4920
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For a WAG that's pretty darn inspired Kalira. I hope that's right.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WAG: duck + goat = duckgoat ~ Dakota?

South Dakota is the setting of the end of NbNW... Not sure how the other parts would fit in, but maybe this would be a start? Very nice guess. Incorrect though.

Let's see... He's trying to hit a duck with a stock towards a goat. And something about an ace and a sink. Hmm...
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the goat is a buck then buck, stock and duck all rhyme. Any kind of track there?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the goat is a buck then buck, stock and duck all rhyme. Any kind of track there? No, the key is "Goat" not "Buck."
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If we change one letter in each word, we get deck, stick and goal... does it bring us any closer?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If we change one letter in each word, we get deck, stick and goal... does it bring us any closer? Much. "Deck" is wrong, but the others are correct.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4946
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh my, we really should of gotten this a bit sooner....

He's hitting a puck with a stick towards a goal so he must be representing the movie 'Miracle' which is a hockey movie.

While Redwine, Kalira, Doriana, Jondahr and myself are busy kicking ourselves and slapping our foreheads maybe you could introduce us to the next customer.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh my, we really should of gotten this a bit sooner....

He's hitting a puck with a stick towards a goal so he must be representing the movie 'Miracle' which is a hockey movie. I ask him about "Miracle" and he says, "No, I have that movie. It was a Christmas present. See?" He pulls the movie out of... somewhere, and there is indeed a bit of wrapping paper stuck to it.

I know this one-letter-off thing was right... so what's the movie?

While Redwine, Kalira, Doriana, Jondahr and myself are busy kicking ourselves and slapping our foreheads maybe you could introduce us to the next customer.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume "ace" and "sink" should be "ice" and "rink"?

So it *has to* be a hockey movie, but "Miracle" seems to be the only one on the list. The only other possibitlity I could think of is Pin-hockey-o.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume "ace" and "sink" should be "ice" and "rink"? That's correct. "One-letter-off" is correct, and "hockey" is correct.

So it *has to* be a hockey movie, This is incorrect. *evil grin* but "Miracle" seems to be the only one on the list. The only other possibitlity I could think of is Pin-hockey-o. That's not it either.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaaaaah *lightbulb*

ROCKY!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaaaaah *lightbulb*

ROCKY! Closer, but still wrong. "Rocky" is 2 letters off.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm... jockey --> Seabiscuit?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4949
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Balin you crafy so and so!

Note to self 'Never ever assume you've posted the right answer'.

I won't say how many of my children I would have bet on Miracle being the solution.

Think Doriana might have it . I'll just wait here in the corner with the pointy hat on tucking into some freshly made humble pie.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm... jockey --> Seabiscuit? There we go.

I ask Mr. Riszky about Seabiscuit; he grabs my hand and shakes it. "Thanks, it'd completely slipped my mind," he says, running into the house (presumably to get the movie) and then out the door.

Where to now?

Note to self 'Never ever assume you've posted the right answer'. I believe that's LTPF Commandment #13

I won't say how many of my children I would have bet on Miracle being the solution. That was my red herring. Part of me was hoping someone saw through the trick; the other part is rubbing its hands together diabolically.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's head to Colin Harris' place. What does the house look like? Knock, ring the bell or whatever and see what happens.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's head to Colin Harris' place. What does the house look like? Knock, ring the bell or whatever and see what happens. I drive over to Ball Lane and knock on the door. An older man opens the door. "'Ello?" I explain I'm here about the movie he rented. "'Fraid I can't recall which film. But come in, pull up a Tony, take a penthouse." He has a very strong accent.

"Can I get you a kitchen?" he asks, walking over to the refrigerator. As he does, he touches the wall a couple times. "Hmm."
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. "Tony" could be a hint to musical...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. "Tony" could be a hint to musical... I ask him if he rented a musical, and he scratches his head. "Don't recall, I fear," he says, touching the wall again. "Still want something to kitchen? Maybe a cold pig's ear or a nice Harrods? Or a glass of terror and slaughter?" He walks back over, and his knee is twitching really noticeably. Don't know why I didn't see that earlier.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear... I think I may get this... and I hate to ask... is Cockney rhyming slang relevant? I believe "Tony" -> Tony Blair -> chair... "Pig's ear" could be beer, and "kitchen" -> kitchen sink -> drink. (If this is accurate, I am both surprised and proud that I could get this many.) Not entirely sure about the others' specific changes.

So... touching the wall, twitching knee... (Will come back to these in a bit, fire alarm is going off)

Remaining movies

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear... I think I may get this... and I hate to ask... is Cockney rhyming slang relevant? I believe "Tony" -> Tony Blair -> chair... "Pig's ear" could be beer, and "kitchen" -> kitchen sink -> drink. (If this is accurate, I am both surprised and proud that I could get this many.) Not entirely sure about the others' specific changes. That's exactly right. The others: "penthouse": penthouse suite -> seat, "Harrods": Harrods sale -> ale, "terror and slaughter" -> water.

So... touching the wall, twitching knee... (Will come back to these in a bit, fire alarm is going off) His knee was just a little wordplay: "cocked knee" = "Cockney." The wall is what you need to focus on now.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4958
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah but he would 'ave said 'arrods not Harrods !!

Is there anything relevant on the wall ? a picture? light? does his touching the wall make any sound?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4959
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

btw I'm surprised Rhyming Slang doesn't make more appearances on the forum . My favourite example of the more modern 'mockney rhyming slang' is someone who hates americans is discribed as Listerine.

American > Yank > Septic Tank > Shortened to Septic > AntiSeptic > Listerine.

While I love americans you can't deny that it's very creative.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it more of a "tap" than a "touch"? Tap -> map -> NbNW? Tap -> nap -> Finding Nemo (there was a video game called Little Nemo in Slumberland, to explain this if it seems off the wall)

Or wall -> call -> Dial M for Murder? Wall -> fall -> Vertigo?

I'll leave off other random guesses until I hear these are wrong, and see if we get any other clues :-)
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops, "Little Nemo..." was a comic and a movie. Though there was a video game made of it, the name was somewhat different. Back to your regularly scheduled LatVenture.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah but he would 'ave said 'arrods not Harrods !! True. I was too busy patting myself on the back for that bit of slang and forgot to drop the H.

btw I'm surprised Rhyming Slang doesn't make more appearances on the forum . My favourite example of the more modern 'mockney rhyming slang' is someone who hates americans is discribed as Listerine.

American > Yank > Septic Tank > Shortened to Septic > AntiSeptic > Listerine.

While I love americans you can't deny that it's very creative. I like it.

Is there anything relevant on the wall ? a picture? light? does his touching the wall make any sound? I touch the wall - it's really sticky. I touch it in a few more spots around the room - all of it is super sticky.

Is it more of a "tap" than a "touch"? Tap -> map -> NbNW? Tap -> nap -> Finding Nemo (there was a video game called Little Nemo in Slumberland, to explain this if it seems off the wall)

Or wall -> call -> Dial M for Murder? Wall -> fall -> Vertigo?

I'll leave off other random guesses until I hear these are wrong, and see if we get any other clues :-) I shall oblige: These are all wrong.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4964
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would touching the wall enlighten you as to why it's sticky? is there some glue like substance there? or is it just really greasy and grimey?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course they are all wrong, Balin. :-P Also, Peter, I've heard that Listerine one before and I have always quite liked it as well.

We've been running around like chickens with our heads cut off, so why don't we go ahead and take Mr. Harris up on his offer. Take a load off and have a drink (water please, or else Murphy's law indicates we *will* get pulled over 5 minutes after we leave). Watch Mr. Harris and see if he does anything else interesting in the meantime.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would touching the wall enlighten you as to why it's sticky? is there some glue like substance there? or is it just really greasy and grimey? I can't tell why, but the whole thing is really sticky.

We've been running around like chickens with our heads cut off, so why don't we go ahead and take Mr. Harris up on his offer. Take a load off and have a drink (water please, or else Murphy's law indicates we *will* get pulled over 5 minutes after we leave). Watch Mr. Harris and see if he does anything else interesting in the meantime. He brings me my water, touching the wall a few times as he does so. I suppose I'll need to figure out what's up with the wall.

Hang on, he just went out into the backyard. I look through a window and he is playing croquet.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Colin's quirk is rhyming slang. The hint for the movie also needs to be determined using rhyming slang.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I'd figured that much :-P Just trying to determine what rhymes with our clues that might relate to one of our movies.

Not sure what movies these might relate to, but...

Sticky -> tricky? picky? There are several names that rhyme as well; are any of those relevant?

Croquet -> bouquet? okay?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I'd figured that much :-P Just trying to determine what rhymes with our clues that might relate to one of our movies.

Not sure what movies these might relate to, but...

Sticky -> tricky? picky? There are several names that rhyme as well; are any of those relevant?

Croquet -> bouquet? okay?

None of these. You're looking for a bit of slang that can tie on to both "sticky ( _____ )" and "croquet ( _____ )".
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4970
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are 'sticky' and 'croquet' the actual rhyming word or the begining of a two word slang

e.g. Sticky Wicket > Picket, Sticky Bun > Fun
Croquet Mallet > Pallet , Croquet Hoop > Scoop?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are 'sticky' and 'croquet' the actual rhyming word or the begining of a two word slang This

e.g. Sticky Wicket "Wicket" is the correct word, but the rest is incorrect > Picket, Sticky Bun > Fun
Croquet Mallet > Pallet , Croquet Hoop > Scoop?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4975
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it our favourite sport Cricket?

How about Croquet Lawn? Fawn, brawn dawn?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel like whatever our rhyme is, it's going to end up being a few layers of rhyming slang deep...

sticky/croquet wicket -> ticket -> ticket booth -> tooth -> tooth fairy -> ?
Any of that relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it our favourite sport Cricket? No, but "cricket" is the correct meaning of the slang. Now you have to connect "cricket" to one of the movies.

How about Croquet Lawn? Fawn, brawn dawn?
sticky/croquet wicket -> ticket -> ticket booth -> tooth -> tooth fairy -> ?
Any of that relevant? None of this.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mother of all derps... Jiminy? From Pinocchio?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mother of all derps... Jiminy? From Pinocchio? I ask Mr. Harris about Pinocchio and he starts up in surprise. "Right! Forgot to return it." He thanks me before going upstairs to get the movie; shortly afterward, he comes down and leaves.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Peter... that solve really goes to you :-)

It appears we skipped over Lindsey Nicks on our list. How about we head over to her house next?

Remaining movies

Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4979
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just beat me to it Kalira. I was logging in to answer Pinocchio.

Oh well back to the drawing board.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have Typing Fingers that give a +2 to Swiftness. Also I wasn't sure when you'd be on again, so just figured I'd try to keep the plot advancing. But to paraphrase a movie that the answer wasn't: "I like that drawing board. That's a nice drawing board." ... Does it give you any bonus stats?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It appears we skipped over Lindsey Nicks on our list. How about we head over to her house next? Sounds like a plan, so I head over to Grassy Court, which is a very grassy court indeed. This is by far the largest house I've been to tonight, and after ringing the doorbell and explaining why I'm there, Ms. Nicks, who appears to be around my age, invites me in.

"So do you remember which movie you rented? No one else seems too," I tell her.

"I'm really sorry, but it's completely slipped my mind." She seems very nervous, as she's pounding one hand into the other repeatedly - first a closed fist, then a flat hand, then with two fingers pointing, then the fingers again, then fingers again, again, again.... Strange nervous habit.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 614
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That nervous habit seems like paper-rock-scissors... But I can make no connection with any of the films...
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4980
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like that idea Redwine.

Grassy Court - Is Tennis relevant? Ray Milland's character in Dial M For Murder (one of my all time favourite movies I might add) was a retired Tennis player.

Also without giving too much of the details fo the plot away I can say that a pair of scissors plays a very significant role but I'm struggling to find a reference to rock and paper.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4981
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira - absolutely no apologies necessary . This puzzle is all about teamwork .
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That nervous habit seems like paper-rock-scissors... But I can make no connection with any of the films...

Grassy Court - Is Tennis relevant? Ray Milland's character in Dial M For Murder (one of my all time favourite movies I might add) was a retired Tennis player.

Also without giving too much of the details of the plot away I can say that a pair of scissors plays a very significant role but I'm struggling to find a reference to rock and paper. Well that was easy. (The scissors bit - the "court" was an unintentional clue.)

After I ask about Dial M for Murder, Ms. Nicks thanks me, goes to get the movie, and leaves, just like everyone else has.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heh, well that's what you get for unintentionally including one of Peter's favorite movies :-)

I guess we should head on to the Speaker house now.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heh, well that's what you get for unintentionally including one of Peter's favorite movies :-) I love that movie too. Only seen it once though.

I guess we should head on to the Speaker house now. Indeed, as it's the last one before I have to go check in with the manager again.

I drive over to Reading Way and knock on the door of #66. The Speakers invite me into their kitchen, where I explain what I'm doing, like always, and they tell me they can't remember what they rented, like always.

As for the kitchen, it's pretty sparse. On a nearby cabinet are two books - a recipe book and a Bible.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a closer look at the books. What kind of recipes does the cookbook purport to contain? Anything of note about the Bible?

Are the Speakers doing anything interesting?
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not "To Serve Man", is it? *spends waaay too much time on TVTropes*
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a closer look at the books. What kind of recipes does the cookbook purport to contain? Looks like they're cookie recipes, although the ingredients don't make sense. For instance, the first one calls for 1 cup of flour, 29 oz. sugar, and 35 eggs. Another asks for 66 chocolate chips, 5 oz. oatmeal, and 5 scoops of pecans. Strange. Anything of note about the Bible? It's an ordinary Bible, ESV.

Are the Speakers doing anything interesting? Nope.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4987
Posted on Friday, November 01, 2013 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remaining movies

Is there any indication that the Speakers have tried any of the recipes? Is the bible closed ? or open at a particlar verse?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, November 01, 2013 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any indication that the Speakers have tried any of the recipes? The kitchen doesn't appear to be used much, so I'd guess they haven't. Can't be certain though. Is the bible closed ? or open at a particlar verse? It is closed, and there are no bookmarks or folded pages.

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Genesis 29:35 and Revelations 5:5 relevant?

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Genesis 29:35
English Standard Version (ESV)
35 And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, “This time I will praise the Lord.” Therefore she called his name Judah.[a] Then she ceased bearing.

Footnotes:

Genesis 29:35 Judah sounds like the Hebrew for praise

Revelation 5:5
English Standard Version (ESV)
5 And one of the elders said to me, “Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.”
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Genesis 29:35 and Revelations 5:5 relevant? Yes. Kaylee has posted the text, so look there.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben-Hur's first name is Judah. Relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben-Hur's first name is Judah. Relevant? Most definitely.

I ask the Speakers if they've rented Ben-Hur, and you know the drill from here. That's all eight movies. Time to go back to the store.

I drive back to the store, arriving just as the manager's car runs out of gas again. I manage to slip into a parking spot before heading back in. "Hey boss, I got everyone to return their movies," I call out, heading to the back. "You found my car keys?"

"Yeah, here," says the manager, tossing them over. "But you still haven't returned your movie yet."

"Oh yeah," I respond, cringing a little as I return his keys. I look over the list - the only genre left is musicals. "I'll head back home and get it."

"Better hurry," calls the boss, as I rush out the door.

I quickly find my car in the parking lot and get in. Since this is a new job, I don't know my way around, so I open the glove compartment, move aside the car manual and a receipt, and pull out the GPS. I plug it in, set the destination, and head home.

Arriving at my house, I rush to the cabinet where I keep my movies, figuring it'll be in there. Unfortunately, looking through the shelves, I see all five musicals on the list, and there's no bar code or tag that tells me which is the rented one. Think, Maria, think... how can I figure out which film needs returning?

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MUSICALS:
Chicago
- I know "Cell Block Tango", that's about it
Hairspray - are the 60's relevant?
Les Misérables - er, this one was done at my high school but I forget what it's about *facepalm*
Mamma Mia! - I was cheated by you and I think you know when...(no not you balin cat xD)
The Producers - omg it's Timon O_O that's all I remember...

*ponders*

and why didn't I suspect that we had the musical? balin cat, which rhymes with matt, loves all teh musicals

there should be a musical about cheezburgur

...excuse the madness, kaylee's brain is scrambled from NaNoing...buh

whyfore no Wicked? me loves teh Wicked...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MUSICALS:
Chicago - I know "Cell Block Tango", that's about it
Hairspray - are the 60's relevant?
Les Misérables - er, this one was done at my high school but I forget what it's about *facepalm*
Mamma Mia! - I was cheated by you and I think you know when...(no not you balin cat xD)
The Producers - omg it's Timon O_O that's all I remember...

None of the above, other than the titles, are relevant.

*ponders*

and why didn't I suspect that we had the musical? balin cat, which rhymes with matt, loves all teh musicals I was wondering if anyone would have guessed that.

there should be a musical about cheezburgur

...excuse the madness, kaylee's brain is scrambled from NaNoing...buh

whyfore no Wicked? me loves teh Wicked... So do I, but there's no movie version of it.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clearly the movie you should return to the store is RENT ;-P

Are only the titles relevant? You've been pretty miserable all night... Les Mis?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are only the titles relevant? The clue you're looking for will lead you to the title of the movie. You've been pretty miserable all night... Les Mis? I'm pretty sure my feelings have nothing to do with whatever the clue might be. Everyone else had something tangible that hinted to the right film....
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the clue inside the house? If so, look around the house for anything odd. Maybe we should check out that receipt that was in the car?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the clue inside the house? If so, look around the house for anything odd. As far as I know, there's nothing in the house that'll help.
Maybe we should check out that receipt that was in the car? The receipt is actually from the rental store, but the title of the movie is blurred out. I can only see the price of the rental ($7.29) and the amount of money left on the gift card I used to pay for it. ($17.71).
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm. Les Mis is not set in 1771, and 1771 translated to letters is not ABBA... Can't figure any connection with 7.29/729 at the moment.

Check out the car manual?

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you still have the gift card you used to pay as well? If so, let's have a look at that as well.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out the car manual? No pages are marked or folded over, but maybe if I knew what pages to look at...

Do you still have the gift card you used to pay as well? If so, let's have a look at that as well. I do, but there's nothing special about it.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe you could look at pages 7, 17, 29 and 71 of the car manual?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe you could look at pages 7, 17, 29 and 71 of the car manual? Sounds like a plan. Now that I know where to look, I see that all of these pages have a couple sentences marked in pencil. The writing is in badly mangled English, but here's what they say:

Page 7:

If muffler smoke and fix yourself, layy road look below car. Follow steps next page. If no fix self, take mechanic.

17:
Fortunately car reliable, few problems. We hope sr or madam happy with car, work for many years.

29:
When pulling traffic, sure clear both directions to miiss other cars. Do not speed on road or turns.

71:
To park car, push handle P, off engine. Be sure after park lock doors, no one robb you. Keep all items safe and not seen, or on you.

Sheesh, is this a manual for a car or a driver's ed class?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if relevant, but all 4 of our numbers are prime.

Finding the 7th, 17th, 25th, 29th, and 71st letters (in whatever iteration of each you like) yields nothing of interest.

Is there anything of note on page 25, just out of curiosity?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh geez, I think I may have realized something after posting my last.

Ignoring weird grammar, we still have misspelled words...
7: layy
17: sr
29: miiss
71: robb

Putting in order of our price (7.29) and remaining balance (17.71), you get:

layy miiss sr robb
Les Miserables (final 'les' sometimes ellided [unless the word for that one is on page 25])?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh geez, I think I may have realized something after posting my last.

Ignoring weird grammar, we still have misspelled words...
7: layy
17: sr
29: miiss
71: robb

Putting in order of our price (7.29) and remaining balance (17.71), you get:

layy miiss sr robb
Les Miserables (final 'les' sometimes ellided [unless the word for that one is on page 25])? Sounds right!

I grab Les Misérables from the shelf and drive back to the rental shop. I hand it over to the manager, who confirms that's the right movie.

"Thanks for the help," he says. "See you back at work tomorrow."

I shake my head. "Sorry, but I think I've had enough of this job," I respond, placing my name tag on his desk. "I like puzzles, but this is ridiculous." Ignoring his objections, I head back out to my car and drive back home. Halfway there, I realize the manager's car is out of gas. Well, that's not my problem anymore, I suppose....

I'm pretty worn out from all this driving around and figuring out random quirks, so I figure I should pop in a movie to relax. Hmm... a musical sounds good. How about...

...RENT.

****SPOILER****

Clearly the movie you should return to the store is RENT ;-P And it took until yesterday for someone to figure out the gag I'd set up since the very beginning, with the puzzle title...

Great solve all of you - this was a fun adventure to run.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4999
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great work Balin.

Very creative.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome puzzle :-)

And I guess I would have quit that job too.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something I just remembered was this question and answer from 2 months ago:

Just a quick questions: Are the people's names or addresses relevant in any of the cases? ...Yes. Their names or addresses can be relevant.

That was true: their names OR addresses were relevant. (It was their addresses, though in some cases small hints were in their names as well.) For you, it was the name.

Charles DeLore, 413 Marcellus Drive Marcellus could be shortened to Marcel, as in Marceau, the mime. DeLore does not speak in the puzzle.

Aaron & Lynn Donaldson, 22 Adams Road Their house number is 22, and John Adams was the 2nd president. It was pointed out that both "Aaron" and "Lynn" also contain double letters; I don't remember if this was intentional or not.

Renée Foster, 98 Sycamore Downs Her house number is 98, plus the word "downs", were intended to imply "countdown", hinting to everything being backwards.

Colin Harris, 21 Ball Lane "Ball" becomes "lane" in rhyming slang (ball and chain -> lane).

Lindsey Nicks, 4 Grassy Court Blades of grass - scissors also have blades. ("Nicks" also hinted at scissors.)

Alan Riszky, 3 Second Street Everything was one letter off. His house number is one number off from the street name (3, 2nd).

Ethel Smith, 190 Baker Terrace Baker = baker. Pretty basic.

Roy & Tia Speaker, 66 Reading Way 66 books in the Bible, and "reading" as in the action not "Reading" the city.

Maria Collins, 75 Upper Circle Maria Collins sounds like Maria Callas (the soprano - and a slight hint there from "Upper"), but you already knew it was musicals by then.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: