[Hamilton] Tipping Point Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2013 » [Hamilton] Tipping Point « Previous Next »

Hamilton (Hamilton)
Username: Hamilton

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heard an interesting fact today I HAD to turn into a puzzle. I don't know how well-known the factoid is, so it might be over soon:

There's something extraordinary about a very famous athlete's first every play in professional sports. I could only find two other instances of it ever occurring at the professional level, although I'm sure there are more.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"first every play"--I assume you meant "very first play" and made a typo? Is this in (American) football? If not, then by "play" do you mean "game"?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 18793
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this one particular athlete?
I assume the sport itself is relevant? Soccer? Baseball? Football? Cricket? Basketball? Hockey? Rugby?
Deholmes (Deholmes)
Username: Deholmes

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this found on tv bloopers show?
Hamilton (Hamilton)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"first every play"--I assume you meant "very first play" and made a typo? Yes Is this in (American) football? Yes If not, then by "play" do you mean "game"?

Is this one particular athlete? Yes
I assume the sport itself is relevant? Soccer? Baseball? Football? Cricket? Basketball? Hockey? Rugby? See above

Is this found on tv bloopers show? Noish
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 518
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did this extraordinary factor reflect well on the athlete, or badly?

Did it involve a significant amount of skill? strength? good luck? bad luck?

Did the extraordinariness arise from something the athlete did deliberately? Accidentally? Something that happened to him? Something that happened around him?
Hamilton (Hamilton)

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did this extraordinary factor reflect well on the athlete, or badly? Arguably both. Mostly bad.

Did it involve a significant amount of skill? Yope strength? good luck? bad luck? No to the rest

Did the extraordinariness arise from something the athlete did deliberately? Yesish Accidentally? No Something that happened to him? No Something that happened around him? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18796
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this in fact a blooper? Did the play turn out well for him?
Is the player's position relevant?
Hamilton (Hamilton)

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this in fact a blooper? "blooper" probably isn't the best way of putting it. Something went wrong. Did the play turn out well for him? No Is the player's position relevant? Yes
Sleepingbeaver (Sleepingbeaver)
Username: Sleepingbeaver

Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, football...
Did this happen during a run? catch? pass? tackle? Field goal kick? Punt?
Hamilton (Hamilton)

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sleepingbeaver (Sleepingbeaver)
Username: Sleepingbeaver

Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 7:34 am:
ok, football...
Did this happen during a run? no catch? pass? Yes to both tackle? Field goal kick? Punt? no to the rest
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18803
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he a quarterback? Wide receiver?
Did he throw the ball? Catch it? Did he catch his own pass (off a deflection)?
Hamilton (Hamilton)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he a quarterback? This Wide receiver?

Did he throw the ball? Catch it? Did he catch his own pass (off a deflection)? Yes to all. That's basically why it's extraordinary. His very first pass in professional football was to himself! Which also meant that he manage to have a 100% completion AND reception rate after only one play.

But who was the player?(Probably a Google away from a solve, if you're so inclined)
Ba1in (Ba1in)
Username: Ba1in

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure who the player you have in mind is, but I know it's happened more than once. For instance, ex-Vikings QB Brad Johnson is the only player to throw a touchdown pass to himself.
King_louie2 (King_louie2)
Username: King_louie2

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's the first career pass, then it would be Brett Favre (Google, indeed to the rescue!)
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's the first career pass, then it would be Brett Favre (Google, indeed to the rescue!)

****SPOILER ALERT****
It is indeed! A little research reveals that my initial source was a mixture of false and correct information. The pass in question was Favre's first play for the Packers and his first completion, but not his play at all. In his first game as a Packer, Favre got chased down, attempted to throw before the sack, and managed to grab the ball once it was tipped. The play turned out to be a loss of seven yards, so Favre might've risked letting the ball hit the ground, but wisely chose to eat the yards instead of risking an interception. So not exactly a blooper, but a rough start to a remarkable career.

I could find two other recent incidents of NFL QBs catching their own passes: The Brad Johnson TD and the Colts Curtis Painter, who two years ago caught a tipped pass and tried again! That's against the rules, but you can hardly blame Painter for not knowing the rule: Most QB's never catch their own pass throughout their professional careers.

I predicted a quick solve, and there you go. You can watch the video of Favre's pass here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ZLPZasEgo
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for posting the entertaining video because I honestly had barely any idea what you were talking about with all the American football jargon! How differently football has evolved across the Atlantic ;-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: