[psymann] Sally's Encounter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2013 » [psymann] Sally's Encounter « Previous Next »

Psymann (Psymann)
Username: Psymann

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sally looked into the night sky and saw a UFO. Its lights blinked as it descended towards earth. It landed, and then two aliens got out of it and walked towards Sally.

Sally wasn't surprised, excited or bothered in any way by this. Why was she so calm?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5504
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she also an alien?
Psymann (Psymann)
Username: Psymann

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynne:
Was she also an alien? No
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the "aliens" human beings? Or actual extra-terrestials?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5506
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she physically see them? Or were they invisible? Was she blinded by some light?
Did the aliens look like a couple of friends of hers?
Was it Halloween and she wasn't surprised by anything?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5508
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Sally a non-human animal?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 548
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this happening in real space around her, or is she watching a film (or otherwise separated from the night sky/UFO/aliens but still able to observe them?)
Deholmes (Deholmes)
Username: Deholmes

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Sally a baby? infant?
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Due to the database deleting loads of profiles, mine (psymann) included, I have had to send in my psydkik to respond to this puzzle. Apologies for the confusion.

Jondahr:
Were the "aliens" human beings? Yes
Or actual extra-terrestials? No

Lynne:
Did she physically see them? Yes
Or were they invisible? No
Was she blinded by some light? No
Did the aliens look like a couple of friends of hers? No
Was it Halloween and she wasn't surprised by anything? No
Was Sally a non-human animal? No - nor was she a human animal ;-)

Wiz:
Is this happening in real space around her Yes
or is she watching a film (or otherwise separated from the night sky/UFO/aliens but still able to observe them?) No

Deholmes:
Is Sally a baby? infant? No; she's an adult
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5524
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the aliens intend to approach Sally? Was this planned? Was she waiting for them?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynne:

Do the aliens intend to approach Sally? No
Was this planned? No
Was she waiting for them? No
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they aliens in the sense "strangers"? For instance, are they people from another culture?

And was it a UFO simply because Alice had never seen a flying vehicle like that before? Or a flying vehicle at all?

Was she part of a "pre-science" culture and some strangers landed in a helicopter? Or something along those lines?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jondahr:

Are they aliens in the sense "strangers"? For instance, are they people from another culture? Not quite

And was it a UFO simply because Alice had never seen a flying vehicle like that before? Or a flying vehicle at all? No

Was she part of a "pre-science" culture No
and some strangers landed in a helicopter? Yes
Or something along those lines? So yes, something along those lines

So now you know that some people landed in a helicopter. But that's not to say the original puzzle statement was incorrect in any way...
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a special kind of helicopter?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jondahr

Was it a special kind of helicopter? No
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5530
Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they 'resident aliens' of the USA? People who don't have a green card for whatever reason?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the helicopter a "UFO" because she couldn't make out that it was a helicopter (and therefore "unidentified")?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynne:
Are they 'resident aliens' of the USA? People who don't have a green card for whatever reason? Close, but No due to a false assumption

Jondahr:
Was the helicopter a "UFO" because she couldn't make out that it was a helicopter (and therefore "unidentified")? Yes :-)

Part-solved:
Sally looked into the night sky and saw a UFO [which, when it had got close enough for Sally to identify, turned out to be a helicopter].

All that remains to be solved is the nature of the people that got out.
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the FA have to do with this does not taking place in the USA?

Is the year this is happening relevant?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jondahr:

Does the FA have to do with this does not taking place in the USA? Yes, so you're practically there I think...

Is the year this is happening relevant? No
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this take place in Europe?
Asia?
Africa?
South America?
Oceania?
The Antarctic?
The Arctic?
Canada?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jondahr:

Does this take place in Europe?
Asia?
Africa?
South America?
Oceania?
The Antarctic?
The Arctic?
Canada?
For no better reason than that I'm from the UK, and I made it up, it happened in the UK.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 586
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Sally an immigration officer? Or is immigration involved in the solution somehow?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wizardofnz:
Is Sally an immigration officer? No
Or is immigration involved in the solution somehow? Yes
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 587
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there more to the 'aliens' than being immigrants/clandestine immigrants?

Is Sally a bystander, or related to these people, or somehow involved in their immigration process?

Does this puzzle refer to a specific incident or a more generic, ongoing phenomenon?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wizardofnz:

Is there more to the 'aliens' than being immigrants/clandestine immigrants? No - that's spot on. Reason I said only "Close" to Lynne was that she'd wronged her answer by adding the bit about the USA!

Is Sally a bystander Yes
or related to these people No
or somehow involved in their immigration process? No

Does this puzzle refer to a specific incident or a more generic, ongoing phenomenon? A specific and somewhat contrived incident :-D

***************Spoiler***************
Sally looked into the night sky and saw a UFO [which, when it had got close enough for Sally to identify, turned out to be a helicopter].

Its lights blinked as it descended towards earth [which is fascinating but irrelevant].

It landed, and then two aliens [who were 'aliens' in the sense of 'not citizens of the country'] got out of it and walked towards Sally [who was not hugely excited because she'd seen people get out of a helicopter before and wasn't overly astonished to see it happen again].

So 'alien' in the same sense as 'I'm an alien in New York' from the song - though in this instance *not* in New York because Sally was, as it happened, stood in a field near Godalming in Surrey, UK, hence Lynne's answer was wrong for its assumption that this happened on American soil.

Well done all, and thanks for playing my first one of these for about six years!
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5541
Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting - I've never heard the term alien used here in the UK, although I guess it's a technical legal term, whereas my brother in the US is a resident alien.

BTW, you'll find that some puzzlers are sticklers for humans being animals. ;-)
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, love your description of Sally in the solution - I imagine her being all grumpy and fed-up about this helicopter, "ooohh GREAT, here's another helicopter, hooow exciting! Never seen one of THOSE before..." ;)

Anyways, good puzzle!
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha, thanks for the tip, Lynne! I shall consider myself an animal whenever I come into the forum :-D

Technically 'alien' does indeed mean the same here in the UK as in the US - just that we don't use it much...

...except for my dear father, who does have a different view on the world than everyone else, and who gave the inspiration for this puzzle:

When playing a "Family Fortunes" game at home one year, the subject was "Name something you associate with Aliens". My sister said "Spaceship". My wife said "Little Green Man". My mother said "Abductions". My father said "Visa".

Took us all a long pause before we got that one. My father went on to claim that he had never even heard of the word 'alien' being used to mean 'extra-terrestrial being', and had had no idea why were were saying things like 'Spaceship'. Baffling!
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 5542
Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, perhaps your father is one himself. You know the expression when someone says something baffling; 'what planet are you on?'. Cue music....
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would explain a lot!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: