[Yojimbo] Memphis and Moosejaw Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2013 » [Yojimbo] Memphis and Moosejaw « Previous Next »

Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Memphis chose the name for Moosejaw. How?
[might be a silly puzzle, but thinking of the circumstance pleases me, and might please some other puzzlers as well.]
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Memphis a cat, like Moosejaw?
Is Memphis another kind of non-human critter?
Is there any relationship, however silly, to the cities of the same names?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2013 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your backup account "Moosejaw" relevant?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1
hello, fellow noob.
Is Memphis a cat, like Moosejaw? yes -- dang, I knew I gave away too much in the Chatroom -- would have made the puzzle last at least another ten posts, so we could all get our count up there.
Is Memphis another kind of non-human critter? see above
Is there any relationship, however silly, to the cities of the same names? not that I've been told -- er, I was there when Moosejaw was named, but don't think there's any relationship with either kitty and their eponymous city. I do know that Memphis was named after Memphis, Egypt, not Tennessee, and Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan is spelled as two words.

Balin
same: hello, fellow noob.
Is your backup account "Moosejaw" relevant? relevant to me; during the Great Blackout, I was despondent, so I picked a new username that would make me feel better; that little kitty's just about perfect. But it's not relevant to this puzzle.
I'd add a picture of M&M but haven't figured out how to upload one. Got a good one, though!
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Memphis pick the name for Moosejaw through a physical action?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik
Did Memphis pick the name for Moosejaw through a physical action? yes -- this should go briskly, but it's a cute tale, NPI [no pun intended]
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the breed of either cat relevant? gender? size? color? age? (although they are both kittens, right?)
Can you actually spell Saskatchewan without looking it up? Is the 2nd syllable of that word relevant?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1
[hey there, "noob"]
Is the breed of either cat relevant? gender? size? color? age? (although they are both kittens, right?)none are relevant -- both are striped tabbies, but Moosejaw has white paws and a beguiling black nose. Memphis is nearly a year old, and Moosejaw's about four months.
Can you actually spell Saskatchewan without looking it up? to my own surprise, yes -- paid attention in geography lessons, I guess. Is the 2nd syllable of that word relevant? not relevant; hadn't occurred to any of us here with the cats.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wish I could show you a photo, but Psydkik's alerted us that the mods seem to have disabled that function. we'll see what we can do.
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they purr happily if you stroke their tummy, but if you do it too much then after a while they suddenly arbitrarily decide now is a good time to pounce on your hand?

Did the physical action require some prior set-up by a human?

Do they go completely mental chasing around if you shine a spot of light on the floor with a torch and move it around?

Do they try to sleep on your bed? Do they succeed?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they purr happily if you stroke their tummy, but if you do it too much then after a while they suddenly arbitrarily decide now is a good time to pounce on your hand? exactly

Did the physical action require some prior set-up by a human? yes

Do they go completely mental chasing around if you shine a spot of light on the floor with a torch and move it around? indeed

Do they try to sleep on your bed? Do they succeed? they do, but quite early in the morning -- too early -- they might spontaneously decide it's time to romp around, and the door gets shut. Now that it's autumn, and the woodstove's going, they delight in disporting like furry puddles in front of it.
Memphis's thing: she tries to get outside [too many coyotes out there, though, so she's not permitted]. Moosejaw adores paper bags: laying on them, climbing or darting into them -- plus, she's extremely cute. And if you grab her back legs as if she's a wheelbarrow, she'll flop over and show you her belly.
You sure have a handle on cats.
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you decide that your new cat needed a name, but there were so many outstanding cat names out there, that you simply couldn't pick between:
"Moose Jaw", Saskatchewan, Canada
"French Lick", Indiana, USA
"Blowhard", Victoria, Australia
"Dildo", Newfoundland, Canada
"Pussy Creek", Ohio, USA
"Middelfart", Denmark
"Wetwang", England, UK
so you wrote them all down on bits of paper, and first one Memphis touched/stood-on/ate/stalked/tried-to-chase-round-the-room/sniffed-at was the one you would use as the name - and fortunately Memphis had the sense to pick Moosejaw?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you decide that your new cat needed a name, but there were so many outstanding cat names out there, that you simply couldn't pick between:
"Moose Jaw", Saskatchewan, Canada
"French Lick", Indiana, USA
"Blowhard", Victoria, Australia
"Dildo", Newfoundland, Canada
"Pussy Creek", Ohio, USA
"Middelfart", Denmark
"Wetwang", England, UK
so you wrote them all down on bits of paper, and first one Memphis touched/stood-on/ate/stalked/tried-to-chase-round-the-room/sniffed-at was the one you would use as the name - and fortunately Memphis had the sense to pick Moosejaw?
Where did you get those names? I assume they're real places; at least, I know one of them is. Have you begun the [LTPF list of ridiculous place names]?
But you're close enough for the

*******SPOILER*******

As mentioned above, Memphis was named for Memphis, Egypt. When the new kitty was nearly ready to come live with us, my son and his girlfriend wanted to name her after another city that began with the letter M.
They did, indeed, write city names on little bits of paper: Mumbai, Mombasa, Monte Carlo, Marseilles, Moosejaw, and Montreal, I think. My son wadded them up, and placed them on the floor in a tight little formation. Memphis, a kitten herself, of course couldn't resist batting them around. We paid attention to the one that seemed to be getting the most attention, but then she took "Moosejaw" in her mouth and ran out of the room, and the name was revealed when it was taken from her and unwadded.
You can see a picture of the two darlings at my website.
thanks for the entertaining $poil, Psydkik, and thanks for playing this diverting little puzzle.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awww, thanks for the photo!
Also, clever puzzle & clever cat =)
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks.
If I hadn't let slip, while babbling in the Chatroom during the LTPF WTF, that my temporary profile, "Moosejaw," was after my son's cat, this would have been more fun for all, I think. At least, it would have lasted longer.
And yeah, that Moosejaw - she's pretty much perfect. Also has the tiniest meow ever; you can be holding her, and still hardly hear it.
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps I have inadvertently started that list! But I can't claim credit for it - it came from someone else's hard work here:

http://voices.yahoo.com/top-50-cities-funny-names-all-around-the-2931257.html

Although some of them aren't really 'cities' at all, from what I could tell from google maps - Pussy Creek actually appears more to be a geographical feature, but I couldn't resist putting that one in anyway! The others appeared at least to be real places on the map, though one or two of the others on the list don't appear to be big enough to be recognised.

They seem very comfy in the photo :-)
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4904
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a Bastardstown in Ireland which while not a city should appear on the list.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And two more from Texas: Ding Dong and Rollover.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This one's mild, but clever:
I live in the state of Washington, in the NW US, and there's a little town called "George."
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, in the category of geographical features, in the Appalachians, {VA, WV,TN,etc) a valley is often called a 'bottom,' and named for early settlers, so you have locations like "Sally Butt's Bottom."
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, October 04, 2013 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Still more: Woolloomooloo, Australia
Twelve-Mile, BC
Superior, NE (my birthplace)
Oblong, IL
Peculiar, MO
Oatmeal, TX
Cut-n-Shoot, TX (near Houston)
Comfort, TX ("Sleep in Comfort, between Alice and Louise.")
Weed Haven, TX (also near Alice & Louise)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: