[gregoryuconn] To Lie or Not to Lie Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2014 » [gregoryuconn] To Lie or Not to Lie « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I was younger, I had a scrund about a certain term related to employment. As a result, I got in trouble for lying even though what I said was true, but did not get in trouble for telling an actual lie.
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm... will have to come back to that second sentence later.

The term: is it related to most/all forms of employment? only full-time employment? only part-time employment? only certain fields? Would it come up during the process of getting a job (e.g. reading job openings, applications, resumes, interviews)? or generally only once the job was secured?

Is the scrund related to the pronunciation? meaning? origin? of the word?

Was the point at which you got in trouble the moment of your unscrunding? or did your suffering under the scrund last until some point after that?

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm... will have to come back to that second sentence later.

The term: is it related to most/all forms of employment? Yes only full-time employment? only part-time employment? only certain fields? Would it come up during the process of getting a job (e.g. reading job openings, applications, resumes, interviews)? or generally only once the job was secured? yes, no to rest

Is the scrund related to the pronunciation? meaning? this, no to the rest of this paragraph origin? of the word?

Was the point at which you got in trouble the moment of your unscrunding? or did your suffering under the scrund last until some point after that? this, no to the rest of the paragraph
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the misunderstood term apply to: Proving citizenship/work eligibility? Payroll? Benefits?
Work Hours and scheduling? Company policies? Chain of command?

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the misunderstood term apply to: Proving citizenship/work eligibility? No Payroll? No Benefits? No
Work Hours and scheduling? No Company policies? Not directly Chain of command? No
Plebeian (Plebeian)
Username: Plebeian

Post Number: 966
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your misunderstanding about the term lead you to say imply you had a certain knowledge or some experience that you in fact hadn't? Or vice versa?

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your misunderstanding about the term lead you to say or imply you had a certain knowledge or some experience that you in fact hadn't? No Or vice versa? DOYD of "experience" but in the context I think you're using it, no.

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, the answer to Plebian's first question might be noish, DOYD of "experience" though again, in the context I think it's being used, the answer would be no.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 437
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the term likely to appear in the job contract? Is it related to employer's duties? Employee's duties?
Is the term related to a specific sector/branch of employment?

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the term likely to appear in the job contract? Either that or a synonym, but I only had a scrund about this specific word. Is it related to employer's duties? Not directly Employee's duties? No
Is the term related to a specific sector/branch of employment? No
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 588
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the term concern employee's benefits? Employee's rights? Social system?

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the term concern employee's benefits? Employee's rights? Social system? None of these, at least not directly.

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since there haven't been any questions in almost two weeks, I am giving a hint (at least on the first part)

The scrund concerned a term related to discipline. I thought the discipline involved would be far harsher than it actually was.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the term reprimand? Reprehension? Admonition? Damage compensation? Suspension?
Was it a form of punishment?

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the term reprimand? Reprehension? Admonition? Damage compensation? Suspension? None of these
Was it a form of punishment?Yes
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you lied, did you use the term? When you told the truth, did you use the term?
Did you say that there was [certain punishment] inflicted on someone? If yes, was it true? Was it a lie? In either case, did you get in trouble with that someone?
Did you use the term in the context of employment?

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you lied, did you use the term? When you told the truth, did you use the term? No to all
Did you say that there was [certain punishment] inflicted on someone? No If yes, was it true? No Was it a lie? No In either case, did you get in trouble with that someone? No
Did you use the term in the context of employment? FA
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you did not use the term at all, correct? Did you, in your statement, refer to the consequences of certain punishment? Did you, mistakenly thinking that someone was fired, say that someone was looking for a new job, while in fact punishment was not so severe?
Did the punishment include losing some privileges? Lower salary? Firing?

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you did not use the term at all, correct? I personally did not, no. Did you, in your statement, refer to the consequences of certain punishment? No Did you, mistakenly thinking that someone was fired, say that someone was looking for a new job, while in fact punishment was not so severe? No, OTWT
Did the punishment include losing some privileges? Lower salary? Firing? This is the term, no to rest.
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think people were actually set on fire? Or fired at?

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think people were actually set on fire? Bingo! Or fired at?

****PARTIAL $POYLR****

The scrund was thinking "fired" meant getting set on fire, like burning at the stake. So now for the rest of the puzzle - why did I get in trouble for lying, even though what I said was true, but not get in trouble for telling an actual lie, as the result of this scrund?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you talk about somebody who had been fired? As in lost their job? Or as in being set on fire?

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you talk about somebody who had been fired? No, but .... As in lost their job? No, but ..... Or as in being set on fire? No
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you talk about someone firing someone else? Did you believe that person really burned someone to death?

Did you say that Joan of Arc was 'fired' from her job? Or make a similar reference to someone who was actually set alight?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say somebody was \i {going to} get fired?

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you talk about someone firing someone else? Yesish Did you believe that person really burned someone to death? Yesish or yope

Did you say that Joan of Arc was 'fired' from her job? Or make a similar reference to someone who was actually set alight? No

Did you say somebody was \i {going to} get fired? Yope or yesish
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say "you're fired" to someone? Or ask someone to fire somebody? Or not to fire them?

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say "you're fired" to someone? No Or ask someone to fire somebody? No Or not to fire them? Yesish
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, December 09, 2013 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was what you said a factual truth? only if one takes the term 'fired' in its generally accepted sense? only if you take it in its literal sense?

Was any of this in reference to (*shudder*) "The Apprentice"?

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, December 09, 2013 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was what you said a factual truth? Yope, FA. only if one takes the term 'fired' in its generally accepted sense? only if you take it in its literal sense? The answer would be the same no matter which meaning of "fired" we used.

Was any of this in reference to (*shudder*) "The Apprentice"? No

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: If I didn't have the scrund, I would not have told the actual lie at all.
Irishelk (Irishelk)
Username: Irishelk

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you tell the lie to keep from getting fired? Was it a lie that someone might tell if they were actually in danger of being set on fire?

The truth that was interpreted as a lie: Was it a statement made out loud? A complete sentence? Or longer? A response to a question? "Yes"? "No"?

Is the kind of employment relevant? Your age at the time?

Post Number: 219
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you tell the lie to keep from getting fired? Was it a lie that someone might tell if they were actually in danger of being set on fire? No to all, but you're OTRT

The truth that was interpreted as a lie: Was it a statement made out loud? Yes A complete sentence? Or longer? probably this A response to a question? "Yes"? "No"?

Is the kind of employment relevant? Yes, but there are several kinds that would work. In this case, the job in question was a counselor at a summer camp. Your age at the time? Yes, all that matters is I was a child. The exact age is irrelevant.

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, January 03, 2014 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BIGGER HINT: The actual lie I told and the true statement I told that got me punished for "lying" are related to each other.

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been almost two weeks, and you got half of this, so I'm just going to $poyl.

****SPOILER8***
As you established, I believed "firing" someone meant setting them on fire. When I was at a summer camp, my counselor was mean to me and I told my mom. She said if it were true, we would tell the camp director the next day and she would be fired. Now, she deserved to be fired for this, but not set on fire. So, feeling guilty about getting her burned at the stake, I lied and said I was making up the story earlier. So I was punished for lying.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: