[RedWine]'s Party Purchase Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2013 » [RedWine]'s Party Purchase « Previous Next »

Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To ensure us a good party, I bought the seventh.
I-RedWine.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you the host?

Relevant how many people there are in "us"? Less than 5? less than 20? less than 50? more than that?

Kind of party relevant? If so, birthday? wedding? anniversary? office party? Halloween? Christmas? New Year's? just for fun?

The seventh... of a number of objects?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you the host? Yes.

Relevant how many people there are in "us"? Not very much. There were 5 people, including me. Less than 5? less than 20? less than 50? more than that?

Kind of party relevant? Not very much, but... If so, birthday? wedding? anniversary? office party? Halloween? Christmas? If it had been for Christmas or New Year, I would have bought the eighth. New Year's? just for fun? This.

The seventh... of a number of objects? Yesish, explore.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the object related to food? drink? party supplies? entertainment?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana:
Was the object related to food? drink? party supplies? entertainment? Only entertainment.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Music relevant? Was it a CD?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana:
Music relevant? Was it a CD? No to both.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were you celebrating something? an event? relevant?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yojimbo:
were you celebrating something? Yes, it was my namesday. an event? relevant? Not at all. I used the item also on subsequent parties, with the same and otheralso these not connected with any particular occassion.
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you have bought the eighth on Christmas/NewYear because those parties are bigger and more special?

Or would you have bought the eighth on Christmas/NewYear because it would be more appropriate to that time of year than the seventh?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik:
Would you have bought the eighth on Christmas/NewYear because those parties are bigger and more special? No.

Or would you have bought the eighth on Christmas/NewYear because it would be more appropriate to that time of year than the seventh? Yes, but beware possible FA.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is January 19 particularly relevant?
[had to look up "name day" -- at my remote outpost, we're relatively pagan...]
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yojimbo:
Is January 19 particularly relevant? No, why?
[had to look up "name day" -- at my remote outpost, we're relatively pagan...]
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you have been able to buy, if you'd wished to and had the money, the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, ninth or tenth?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik:
Would you have been able to buy, if you'd wished to and had the money, the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth Yes to these..., ninth or tenth? I'm not sure if there is that many of them. But if ninth and tenth exists, then yes.
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the object clothing?
A game?

Was the object entertainment that all the guests took part in? Was it something that one person used in order to entertain the others who watched?
Amol (Amol)
Username: Amol

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2013 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a theme-based party ? Did the seventh complete a series ? Would the eighth be required to complete a series ?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2013 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik:
Was the object clothing? No.
A game? Yes.

Was the object entertainment that all the guests took part in? Yes. Was it something that one person used in order to entertain the others who watched? Noish.

Amol:
Was it a theme-based party ? No. Did the seventh complete a series ? Would the eighth be required to complete a series ? Both seventh and eighth are part of the series. I don't have parts 1-6 and I intentionally chose not to buy them.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2013 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a board game? card game? video game?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana:
Is it a board game? card game? This, but... video game?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you play the game sitting at a table?

Does it involve any equipment other than cards?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you play the game with any number of players?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik:
Do you play the game sitting at a table? In that case we did, but I played this game in several other surroundings when there was no table.
Does it involve any equipment other than cards? No and beware the FA.
Can you play the game with any number of players? Yes, provided that all these players are in the same location.
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Magic? Football cards? Baseball cards? Anything along those lines?

I assume not an oridnary deck of cards?

Number of cards involved:
less than 50?
50-75?
75-100?
100-150?
150-200?
more than 200?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jondahr:
Magic? Football cards? Baseball cards? None of these. Anything along those lines? Difficult to say, as I'm not familiar with these.

I assume not an oridnary deck of cards? Your assumption is correct.

Number of cards involved:
less than 50?
50-75? Exactly 50 in one set.
75-100?
100-150?
150-200?
more than 200?
Plebeian (Plebeian)
Username: Plebeian

Post Number: 934
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some kind of card-based role playing game?
or Top Trumps? (I don't even know if these are available outside the UK!)
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plebeian:
Some kind of card-based role playing game? No.
or Top Trumps? (I don't even know if these are available outside the UK!) I haven't heard about that, so no.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the design of the back of the cards relevant?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the cards standard sort of cards used for card games: ie rectangular, flat, thin, have a front and a back, something written/drawn on the front and/or back?

Ie they're the same sort of size and shape as a deck of standard 'playing cards' that go from Ace to King?

Are the cards designed to be used in a game? Or designed for some other purpose but you use them to play a game with?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does each series of cards have a theme, and the theme of the eighth is something relevant to Christmas/NewYear, whereas the theme of the seventh is something otherwise more suited to your group?

Does the series of first to eighth go in an order of publication? Or in some other arbitrary order which just happens to have come out in that order? Or in a logical order where the third one could only ever come after the second one?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana:
Is the design of the back of the cards relevant? Yes, possible FA.

Psydkik:
Are the cards standard sort of cards used for card games: ie rectangular Yes, flat Yes, thin Yes, have a front and a back Yope..., something written/drawn on the front and/or back? Yes - they have two sides and there is something written and drawn on both sides, but they are not typical front and back.

Ie they're the same sort of size and shape as a deck of standard 'playing cards' that go from Ace to King? Shape - yes, size - approx. twice as big.

Are the cards designed to be used in a game? Yes, they serve only that one purpose. Or designed for some other purpose but you use them to play a game with? So no.

Does each series of cards have a theme, and the theme of the eighth is something relevant to Christmas/NewYear, whereas the theme of the seventh is something otherwise more suited to your group? There is a theme of the whole series, and also particular themes of SOME, but not ALL sets of 50 cards. The rest is yes.

Does the series of first to eighth go in an order of publication? Yes. Or in some other arbitrary order which just happens to have come out in that order? No. Or in a logical order where the third one could only ever come after the second one? No. The order in which the sets of cards come is not so much relevant. If series: 7th and 8th were published as 2nd and 5th, respectively, that would make no change to the puzzle.
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you wanted to have a good party, and you wanted to play a fun game at your party?

You decided a fun game would be [unnamed card game], which comes in a number of sets?

You considered that the seventh set had the most compelling theme for your party and would result in the most fun?

And had it been Christmas, you would instead have considered that the eighth set would have had a more topical compelling theme, and would result in the most fun?

Do we need to work out the exact game? Or the exact theme?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik:
So you wanted to have a good party, and you wanted to play a fun game at your party? Yes.

You decided a fun game would be [unnamed card game], which comes in a number of sets? Yes.

You considered that the seventh set had the most compelling theme for your party and would result in the most fun? Yes.

And had it been Christmas, you would instead have considered that the eighth set would have had a more topical compelling theme, and would result in the most fun? Yes.

Do we need to work out the exact game? Yes, just what the game was about. Or the exact theme? If you want to. When you get the idea of the game, I will add the rest of details.

HINTS: I'm sure all of you are familiar with the idea of game.
For the sake of my guests, I could have bought the first with the same result.
Plebeian (Plebeian)
Username: Plebeian

Post Number: 954
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this a game where cards are dealt, more than one, to each guest (or most guests) randomly (much like regular cards)?
Or a game where each guest gets one and only one card?
Does one person (presumably you, as host) choose which card (or cards) each person gets?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plebeian:
Was this a game where cards are dealt, more than one, to each guest (or most guests) randomly (much like regular cards)? No.
Or a game where each guest gets one and only one card? Noish, explore.
Does one person (presumably you, as host) choose which card (or cards) each person gets? I allowed my guests to take cards randomly from the set.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Germany, there is a game called "Black stories" that basically has a lateral puzzle on each card. Is it something like this?

Or is it like the game where everyone gets the name of a celebrity attached to their forehead and they have to ask questions to determine the celebrity?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana:
In Germany, there is a game called "Black stories" that basically has a lateral puzzle on each card. Is it something like this? Yes, that's the same.

Or is it like the game where everyone gets the name of a celebrity attached to their forehead and they have to ask questions to determine the celebrity? No.

Now, why I decided to buy seventh set of "Black stories"?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you already played the other 6 sets, so you would have known the answers? Had the guests?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana:
Had you already played the other 6 sets, so you would have known the answers? Yope. Had the guests? No.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you played some of the other sets? A few cards from each set?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana:
Had you played some of the other sets? Yope. A few cards from each set? No.
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you seen other people play the first six sets? Or read through them already? Or written them? Or know the person who did?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik:
Had you seen other people play the first six sets? Or read through them already? This is closest. No to the rest. Or written them? Or know the person who did?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 309
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did either you, or one or more of your guests, already know the details on some of the cards from packs 1-6?

Did either you, or one or more of your guests, have a far greater knowledge of a particular subject that would have allowed them a significant advantage in working out the situations on the cards from packs 1-6?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 250
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik:
Did either you, or one or more of your guests, already know the details on some of the cards from packs 1-6? Yes, I did. But I have never seen any of the cards from any of the sets before I bought set 7.

Did either you, or one or more of your guests, have a far greater knowledge of a particular subject that would have allowed them a significant advantage in working out the situations on the cards from packs 1-6? Yes, I had. I think you're making it far more complicated that it really is :-)
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the first six sets all in German?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you read the puzzles elsewhere? In a book? on the internet? on the LTPF?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik:
Were the first six sets all in German? No, they were all in Polish.

Doriana:
Had you read the puzzles elsewhere? Yes. In a book? on the internet? on the LTPF? And Yes.

****************SPOILER*****************
When I was planning my Name day party, I bought the 7th set of Black Stories. The Black Stories is the series of sets of 50 cards each. Each card contains a lateral puzzle. On one side there is a puzzle statement, puzzle title and a misleading drawing. This side is showed to players. On the other side, the card has the puzzle story and another drawing. This is visible only by a puzzle host.
I have acknowledged my friends with the idea of lateral puzzles before, but - obviously - I was always the puzzle host. I thought it would be fun if everyone could also host, not only solve, puzzles.
As I got to know from people that already played Black Stories, first sets cover mostly classic lateral puzzles and other motives known by me from LTPF. Therefore I decided to buy the topical set "Sex&crime". I hoped there will be not so many puzzles already known by me from LTPF and also that this particular topic may be a good idea for the party where all participants are women. And indeed, we had a good party and I knew only a few puzzles from the set.

Thanks for playing.
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 321
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Black stories is ranked #1667 on the *fantastic* site for all board games and the like: Board Game Geek:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18803/black-stories

If you like it and want to improve its rating, or you want to find out more about it, or you want to write a review to help others know more about it (it doesn't have many yet, so could do with more) - head over there. A really good site.

And what theme was pack 8?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pack 8 was Christmas Black Stories. There is also Black Stories Special Edition, which has cards shaped like coffins.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: