[gregoryuconn] A holiday scrund Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2013 » [gregoryuconn] A holiday scrund « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many Americans have a scrund about a song associated with a certain holiday. If not for the scrund, it is highly unlikely the song would have ever gained this association, especially in the era when it did.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a religious holiday? If so, Christian? Jewish? Other religion?

A secular holiday? If so, Independence Day? Thanksgiving? Labour Day? New Year?

Is it a holiday that is only celebrated in America? Could a non-American have the same scrund?

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2013 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a religious holiday? If so, Christian? Jewish? Other religion?

A secular holiday? If so, Independence Day? this Thanksgiving? Labour Day? New Year?

Is it a holiday that is only celebrated in America? Other countries have Independence Day, but this song is specifically associated with the American holiday Could a non-American have the same scrund? Yes, but less likely.
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2013 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the national anthem? Do they think it was associated with the Revolution?
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2013 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to Wikipedia: Independence Day fireworks are often accompanied by patriotic songs such as the national anthem "The Star-Spangled Banner", "God Bless America", "America the Beautiful", "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", "This Land Is Your Land", "Stars and Stripes Forever", and, regionally, "Yankee Doodle" in northeastern states and "Dixie" in southern states.

I would imagine one of these songs must be the relevant one, but one thing the LTPF has taught me is never to make assumptions. So, is one of these relevant? If so, which?
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2013 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, is it relevant that "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" is sung to the same tune as "God Save the Queen" (or King, when relevant)?

And did I just answer my own question?

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2013 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the national anthem? Do they think it was associated with the Revolution? No to all

According to Wikipedia: Independence Day fireworks are often accompanied by patriotic songs such as the national anthem "The Star-Spangled Banner", "God Bless America", "America the Beautiful", "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", "This Land Is Your Land", "Stars and Stripes Forever", and, regionally, "Yankee Doodle" in northeastern states and "Dixie" in southern states.

I would imagine one of these songs must be the relevant one, but one thing the LTPF has taught me is never to make assumptions. So, is one of these relevant? If so, which? It isn't any of these. It's more associated with concerts than fireworks, though many concerts end with fireworks, I suppose.

Also, is it relevant that "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" is sung to the same tune as "God Save the Queen" (or King, when relevant)? Not at all, nor is it relevant that it shares a tune with several other current and former national anthems.
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund that the song is American, when it isn't? Is the scrund that it celebrates America, when it doesn't?

Am I correct in reading the initial statement to mean the era that the song became associated with the holiday is relevant? Was it in the 18th Century? 19th Century? 20th Century? If so, was it the 1900's, the 1910's, etc.? 21st Century?

Any of the American wars relevant? The Revolutionary War? The Civil War?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it that "The Star-Spangled Banner" was written during the War of 1812, and not the Revolutionary War?

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund that the song is American, when it isn't? Is the scrund that it celebrates America, when it doesn't? both

Am I correct in reading the initial statement to mean the era that the song became associated with the holiday is relevant? Yes Was it in the 18th Century? 19th Century? 20th Century? This If so, was it the 1900's, the 1910's, etc.? The 1970s 21st Century?

Any of the American wars relevant? One is, possibly two DOYD of "war." The Revolutionary War? The Civil War? But neither of these
Is it that "The Star-Spangled Banner" was written during the War of 1812, and not the Revolutionary War? It was written during the War of 1812, but this is not relevant.
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund that the 1812 Overture is an American patriotic song?

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund that the 1812 Overture is an American patriotic song? Bingo.....

****SPOILER*****
The 1812 Overture, contrary to popular belief, is not about the War of 1812, but about the war between Russia and Napoleon's Army in 1812. It was first played at the Boston Pops Fourth of July concert in 1974 and has since gained national popularity. As this tradition started at the height of the Cold War (the one that DOYD of "War") it is highly unlikely it would have been so popular if people realized it was about Russia, even more so than your average non-American song. Good job everyone, and Alex for the final solve.

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try my not an anti-Semite puzzle and to lie or not to lie. The last one isn't getting much action.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: