[WiZ] Geography Puzzle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2013 » [WiZ] Geography Puzzle « Previous Next »

Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 663
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Early spoliers, please e-mail me at the address at the bottom of my profile.

What do the following places have in common: River Avon, Lake Michigan, Mount Kilimanjaro, the Faroe Islands, Carmarthen, the La Brea tar pits, Sherwood forest, the Sahara desert?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 665
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, solved already. And I thought it was so clever. Apparently not. Well done, Solo1.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4922
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've mailed a spoyler also. Mr Stephen Fry to the rescue.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the connection between these locations refer to their geographical location? Landscape features? Number of letters in their names?
Is the connection between River Avon and William Shakespeare relevant?
Is the connection between Sherwood forest and Robin Hood relevant?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I know this one too. Nice. Missive en route.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I know it too. A possible $poyler is on its way =)
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I have no idea o.O *needs cheezburger*
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't a clue either, so let's do this! (Although I suspect that the Stephen Fry comment means my QI-retention has failed me)

Going off Redwine's questions, is the connection between Carmarthen and Merlin relevant?

Is it safe to say the commonality has nothing to do with the geographical or physical characteristics of these places? And that what they have in common is based in human culture?

Works of fiction relevant? Do all the places relate to works of fiction? Is there one work of fiction in particular that ties all the places together?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Each and every one of you is correct. I actually had a nightmare last night that my inbox would fill up with premature spoliers and I would feel a bit daft for hosting such a puzzle and thinking it would be a challenge. Sure enough...

For what it's worth, I haven't seen that particular episode of QI or that particular Fry rant. This puzzle came about as a result of my (albeit not tremendously extensive) research. On to the questions!

Redwine:

Does the connection between these locations refer to their geographical location? no Landscape features? no Number of letters in their names? no
Is the connection between River Avon and William Shakespeare relevant? no
Is the connection between Sherwood forest and Robin Hood relevant? no

Kayleearafinwiel

Well, I have no idea o.O *needs cheezburger* Feel free to play the puzzle, then (: There's no fear of any of your questions making you look sillier than me right now.

Alexanderhamilton:

Going off Redwine's questions, is the connection between Carmarthen and Merlin relevant? no

Is it safe to say the commonality has nothing to do with the geographical or physical characteristics of these places? yes And that what they have in common is based in human culture? yes

Works of fiction relevant? no Do all the places relate to works of fiction? not relevantly Is there one work of fiction in particular that ties all the places together? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the connection based on the names of places? The origin of the names?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 668
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the connection based on the names of places? The origin of the names? yes to both
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sending a spoiler. I think I do recall the QI bit now.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 671
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You recall correctly. Damn you, Stephen Fry.
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't often watch QI so I'm in the dark too!

Do the names originate from:
- the same language as each other?
- a language different from the ones spoken in the places these things exist?
- names of other things?
- names of people?
- random made-up-ness?

Would it still work if you used "Avon" the county, instead of "River Avon" the river? Or "Carmarthen Castle" instead of just "Carmarthen"? Or "Michigan" state instead of "Lake Michigan"?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 674
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the names originate from:
- the same language as each other? no
- a language different from the ones spoken in the places these things exist? no, if we make allowances for the evolution of language within one area
- names of other things? please rephrase
- names of people? no
- random made-up-ness? no

Would it still work if you used "Avon" the county, instead of "River Avon" the river? no Or "Carmarthen Castle" instead of just "Carmarthen"? yes Or "Michigan" state instead of "Lake Michigan"? no
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahhh, a little fact I saw mentioned a month or two about the Sahara has jogged a memory I was probably told ten years ago about Mount Kilimanjaro, which fits with the answers so far, so I think I've suddenly jumped to the answer for this one... will e-mail to see!
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 677
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correct, again. I would close the puzzle now, but it's within spoliing distance if anyone has the heart.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm still without clue...
Were these places named by the same person or entity? Were these places named after the bigger areas they're located in?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 680
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were these places named by the same person or entity? no Were these places named after the bigger areas they're located in? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to stick with it and post questions to find out the connection which seems to be obvious to many people, but apparently not for me... But, WiZ, if you want to finish this one (perhaps you would like to post a new puzzle), feel free to do so.

Is the connection about what were these places named after? or rather about how they were named (when not names themselves but the process of naming is relevant)?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 681
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see why your fun should be spoiled just because the other forum members watch too much television :P

Is the connection about what were these places named after? yes or rather about how they were named (when not names themselves but the process of naming is relevant)? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 282
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were these places named after people? After places?
Do their names originate from native languages of first inhabitants of terrains where they are located?
Was relevant something else named after them?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 683
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were these places named after people? no After places? yes
Do their names originate from native languages of first inhabitants of terrains where they are located? Yes, as far as I can tell
Was relevant something else named after them? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were these places named after capitals of first inhabitants' tribes? After other important places for first inhabitants' tribes?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 684
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were these places named after capitals of first inhabitants' tribes? no After other important places for first inhabitants' tribes? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do these places simply still have names that were given to them by first inabitants of these areas?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 690
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do these places simply still have names that were given to them by first inabitants of these areas? irrelevant. The list is inexhaustive, but it's a much smaller subset than that which you have just proposed.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it correct to say that these places were all named by first inhabitants of the area in their native languages and are all named after other places?
Were the places that gave names for locations mentioned in the puzzle sentence somehow special for first inhabitants? Maybe considered saint? miraculous? Connected with political powers? Mentioned in their legends?
Would it help to translate the names to solve the puzzle?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it correct to say that these places were all named by first inhabitants of the area in their native languages and are all named after other places? Yes, with the possible exception of Avon - the geography gets a little blurred
Were the places that gave names for locations mentioned in the puzzle sentence somehow special for first inhabitants? in no relevant way Maybe considered saint? miraculous? Connected with political powers? Mentioned in their legends?
Would it help to translate the names to solve the puzzle? greatly
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a passing thought, although I doubt if it makes any sense...
Does the names represent generic names of geographical features in local languages - like Avon would stand for river, Michigan for lake etc?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the names represent generic names of geographical features in local languages - like Avon would stand for river, Michigan for lake etc? correct!

***** SPOILER *****

They are all redundant.

- River Avon, various in England and Scotland (River River – Brythonic (spelled Afon in modern Welsh), or Goidelic abhainn)

- Lake Michigan, United States – 'Lake Large Lake' (Michigan is French alteration on the Ojibwe word mishigamaa)

- Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania (Mount Mount Njaro – Swahili)

- Faroe Islands, sometimes Faeroe Islands, also Faroes or Faeroes (Faroese: Føroyar, Danish: Færøerne, Icelandic: Færeyjar, Bokmål: Færøyene, Nynorsk: Færøyane), North Atlantic (Sheep Islands Islands – Faroese)

- Carmarthen, Wales (Welsh : Caerfyddin) – (Fort fort by the sea – "Caer"/"Car" = Welsh for fort (from Latin castra)

- La Brea Tar Pits, California (The Tar Tar Pits – Spanish). (Often referred to as The La Brea Tar Pits, thus, The The Tar Tar Pits)

- Sherwood Forest, England – (Forest Forest Forest, from English Sher (Shire) and Woods)

- Sahara desert, Africa (Deserts desert – Arabic)

Congratulations to the 7 of you who have solved it. That's almost one in every four posts. And congratulations to Redwine for sticking it out.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. Again I end up with some interesting knowledge :-) Thank you for this puzzle and your patience for me :-)
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And there's the Connecticut River, "River with the big mouth River" in Algonquin, as well as numerous creeks in New York State that are "___kill Creek" (___ Creek Creek) in Dutch, and of course, Torpenhow Hill in England, which is "Hillhillhill Hill" in Old English, Welsh, Danish, and English.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 704
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's also the Milky Way Galaxy, which I almost included at the end but deleted, thinking 'That would make it too easy. I'd be bombarded with e-mail spoilers before the blessed thing had even begun'.
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only one of those I knew was the Sahara - though then had vague recollections of having heard the same for Kilimanjaro - if you'd stopped the original question one feature earlier I'd have been puzzled the whole way through :-)

Nice list :-)
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 713
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I liked the list, as you have a variety of phenomena, both large and small, natural and cultural, made of a range of elements, on a number of continents. If one didn't know the answer intuitively, it could seem quite the challenge in reconciling them.

The trouble is, as you demonstrated, that the more one includes, the more likely someone is to twig to one particular item in the list. There's a list puzzle in the 'challenging' section of Paul & Des' Great Lateral Thinking Puzzles that I got in one fell swoop due to just one of the list items.
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5551
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you ask for naan bread to go with your Indian curry then you'd be asking for bread bread.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: