[Yojimbo] ...to excess Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2013 » [Yojimbo] ...to excess « Previous Next »

Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A globally burgeoning habit
Trashes most of the planet.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trashes = pollutes?
Does the habit trash water? air? soil?
Does this habit concern rural areas? urban areas?
Is it caused by industry?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Trashes = pollutes? no
Does the habit trash water? this; DOYD of "trash" air? soil?
Does this habit concern rural areas? urban areas? this
Is it caused by industry? DOYD of industry
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, trying to get the right meaning with the help of my dictionary... Unfortunately it recognizes only "trash" as a noun...
Does the meaning of "trashes" in the puzzle sentence refer to: garbage? nonsense? something of low quality? ruining opinion?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Ok, trying to get the right meaning with the help of my dictionary... Unfortunately it recognizes only "trash" as a noun... it also DOMD of "trash" -- a widely-used euphemism, though...
Does the meaning of "trashes" in the puzzle sentence refer to: garbage? no nonsense? no something of low quality? no ruining opinion? there's something here to explore...
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is someone's opinion ruined because of the habit? Is something else ruined because of the habit?
Is it the habit of individual people? Of companies? Of governments?
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you referring to "trailer trash"? or "white trash"?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Is someone's opinion ruined because of the habit? no Is something else ruined because of the habit? this -- but not ruined yet...
Is it the habit of individual people? yes Of companies? Of governments? no to rest

Solo1
Are you referring to "trailer trash"? or "white trash"? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, something is being ruined because of the habit of individual people, correct?
Is environment being ruined by this habit? Is waterlife?
Is ocean water relevant? Lake water? River water?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
So, something is being ruined because of the habit of individual people, correct? correct
Is environment being ruined by this habit? no Is waterlife? yes
Is ocean water relevant? yes Lake water? no River water? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is particular form of ocean waterlife relevant? Or does this habit ruin the ocean waterlife in general?
Is this habit connected with new technologies? Waste disposal?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a little puzzled (which is the idea here, of course). How can an opinion be ruined? did you have a good opinion of someone or something, and now you don't?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Is particular form of ocean waterlife relevant? yes Or does this habit ruin the ocean waterlife in general? ...and also this.
Is this habit connected with new technologies? indeed not Waste disposal? no

Solo1
I'm a little puzzled (which is the idea here, of course). How can an opinion be ruined? opinions are not relevant to this puzzle, but to answer your Q, my opinion of what had been a pretty capable local restaurant has changed; the food is still fairly good, but the service is shoddy -- I recently had poisson au frites -- fish and chips -- and the fish was overcooked and dried out, as the lazy server had left the prepared meal under the heat lamp too long... did you have a good opinion of someone or something, and now you don't? see previous paragraph... but again, an opinion isn't relevant to this puzzle.
I should also offer a
clarification:
in Redwine's previous question,
"Is it the habit of individual people?" "it" might be taken to be the thing that is ruined -- my answer in that thread might not have been clear. "It," as I'm sure Redwine intended it, and as I took it, refers to the habit.
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The habit: air travel?

The particular ocean waterlife: fish? a particular species of fish? more seattle salmon? :-)
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik
The habit: air travel? no
The particular ocean waterlife: fish? this... a particular species of fish? ...and also this more seattle salmon? :-) not this time, but they are partially relevant... but obviously, I'm a fish guy -- the seafood industry based in Seattle is worth several billion annual dollars, and I've always been connected to it.
And see? I remembered to format your name in green.
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 325
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am enjoying my new green status; it makes me feel all environmentally friendly!

If I rewrote your initial statement as:
"A globally burgeoning habit
Trashes oceans."

would that be correct?

And could I further rewrite it accurately as:
Harms saltwater fish"
?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik
per your Weetabix puzzle, I found you to be at least environmentally conscious...
If I rewrote your initial statement as:
Trashes oceans."
would that be correct? yes, although the meter is lost

And could I further rewrite it accurately as:
Harms saltwater fish"? thisish; harm would be more widespread, but we're back to the trochees and iambs at least -- an old-school poet would probably render "fish" as "fishes" in such a statement, although this is not a poetry forum...
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Affects neither magpie nor rabbit,
But, against 'Jimbo's wishes,
It kills ocean fishes;
And also, it features
More damage to creatures
That live in the ocean -
So I have the notion
That 'Jimbo would like us to nab it.

Dubious use of the verb 'to nab' to mean 'to stop'.

Is the habit something people do in their homes? Or in shops? Or in public places?

Does the habit require tools or equipment of any sort? Is it something individuals do on their own? In private?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik
Let's not turn this into a Versponse, but thanks for the lovely post. Too bad you had to abbreviate my username, but I understand. You could have used "Yojimbo" in the last line, not to be too editorial...
Affects neither magpie nor rabbit, but eventually, it might...
But, against 'Jimbo's wishes,
It kills ocean fishes;
And also, it features
More damage to creatures
That live in the ocean -
So I have the notion
That 'Jimbo would like us to nab it. that's right
Dubious use of the verb 'to nab' to mean 'to stop'.you can get away with it -- makes for a nice closing rhyme...
Is the habit something people do in their homes? possibly, but not likely Or in shops? mostly this Or in public places? and I've seen it there
Does the habit require tools or equipment of any sort? yes Is it something individuals do on their own? rarely In private? not often
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the habit connected to how people pay for goods? How they pack their goods? What goods they buy?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many goods they buy? What the goods are made from?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Is the habit connected to how people pay for goods? no How they pack their goods? no What goods they buy? yes

Psydkik
How many goods they buy? no What the goods are made from? yes

the colors sure make for a pretty -- or perhaps rather garish? -- post, don't they?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like my username in red :-)

Are the goods in question made from fish? Other sealife?
Are the goods in question edible?
Is the habit just buying (and eating) Product X?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 219
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Are the goods in question made from fish? yes Other sealife? yes
Are the goods in question edible? yes
Is the habit just buying (and eating) Product X? yes
I think everyone else will be rendered in green, except for you.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 278
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did people start buying Product X just recently?
Did growing need for Product X result in certain fish being caught in much bigger quantity? If yes, did it degrade food chain in the ocean, threatening another sealife?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Did people start buying Product X just recently? no
Did growing need for Product X result in certain fish being caught in much bigger quantity? yes If yes, did it degrade food chain in the ocean, threatening another sealife? completely OTRT
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do we need to know the particular species of fish (and/or other sealife) to work this out? Is it cod - that always seems to be in the news for being overfished? Or is it just seafood in general?

Do we need to know the particular species of sealife that are threatened? Or just that it affects sealife in general?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik
Do we need to know the particular species of fish (and/or other sealife) to work this out? yes -- once you do, it should fall into place Is it cod - that always seems to be in the news for being overfished? not cod -- which is a well-managed fishery in my North Pacific region Or is it just seafood in general? yope -- the species is -- well, specific, but the eventual effects are broad
Do we need to know the particular species of sealife that are threatened? see above Or just that it affects sealife in general? it affects sea life in a specific way... knowing "Product X" will help
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the fish in question tuna? sprat? mackerel? herring? halibut?

Forgive me my lack of knowledge about sealife if any of the above actually do not live in oceans...
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Is the fish in question tuna? this sprat? mackerel? herring? a favorite of mine, when pickled halibut? just about the most amazing bottomfish there is
Forgive me my lack of knowledge about sealife if any of the above actually do not live in oceans...
these are all oceanic, indeed, although not all are pelagic, but all are imperiled by the habit in question.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume that Product X is not made exclusively from tuna, but also other sealife, correct?
Then other sealife - prawns? crabs? crustacean?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
I assume that Product X is not made exclusively from tuna, but also other sealife, correct? yes, including other components
Then other sealife - prawns? crabs? crustacean? not really that relevant, but yes to all, and the other fishes from your previous post, as well as others, could also be included here
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the Product X a fish paste? A seafood soup?
In the Product X, are its components mixed together in the way man cannot tell them apart?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Is the Product X a fish paste? no A seafood soup? no
In the Product X, are its components mixed together in the way man cannot tell them apart? no
I'm tempted to offer a hint, but don't want to insult your obvious intelligence; you're drilling down nicely.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Product X eaten by humans? Do people buy it frozen? Does it come ready to eat? Does it need preparation before it's ready to eat? If the latter, does it require boiling? frying? roasting?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Is Product X eaten by humans? yes Do people buy it frozen? no Does it come ready to eat? yes Does it need preparation before it's ready to eat? no, although some amend or otherwise modify it If the latter, does it require boiling? frying? roasting? none of these
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the seafood in Product X raw? Smoked? Is Product X served in restaurants? Is Product X sushi?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it 'food' in the sense that you'd have it as, or as part of, a meal?

Or is it 'food' in the sense that it's consumed, but isn't part of a meal - like fish-oil tablets?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Is the seafood in Product X raw? typically Smoked? also often this [salmon, eel...] Is Product X served in restaurants? yes Is Product X sushi? yes

Psydkik
Is it 'food' in the sense that you'd have it as, or as part of, a meal? yes
Or is it 'food' in the sense that it's consumed, but isn't part of a meal - like fish-oil tablets? it's sushi

$poiler imminent -- how is eating sushi "trashing most of the planet?"
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does suchi involve using only a small amount of the fish and throwing a lot away - more than other fish dishes?

Does the preparation of suchi help the growth of bacteria that cause damage to sealife?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik
Does suchi involve using only a small amount of the fish and throwing a lot away - more than other fish dishes? no, it's pretty efficient, considering how expensive the components are
Does the preparation of suchi help the growth of bacteria that cause damage to sealife? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are other components of sushi (besides fish) also relevant? The seaweed?
Is the fact that sushi became popular not so long ago relevant?
It has something to do with food chain in oceans, correct?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Are other components of sushi (besides fish) also relevant? not here The seaweed?
Is the fact that sushi became popular not so long ago relevant? yes
It has something to do with food chain in oceans, correct? yes
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... does increasing interest in sushi result in the fact than more tuna is caught...
Is it relevant to the puzzle who (I mean sealife) eats tuna?
Or rather what tuna eats?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
So... does increasing interest in sushi result in the fact than more tuna is caught... yes
Is it relevant to the puzzle who (I mean sealife) eats tuna? not this...
Or rather what tuna eats? ...but this
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, as there is less tuna, there is more of something else, which does not have to be beneficial for sealife... correct?
Does tuna eat plankton?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
So, as there is less tuna, there is more of something else, which does not have to be beneficial for sealife... correct? OTRT
Does tuna eat plankton? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does tuna eat small fishes then? Crustacean? Some sea plants?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Does tuna eat small fishes then? they eat fish smaller than they are Crustacean? no Some sea plants? no
I'm poised to $poil it, but I think you have all the information, and I'd rather let you get there; you just need to make some connections.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so:
Recent interest in sushi -> less tuna in oceans.
Less tuna in oceans -> more small fish that would normally get eaten by tuna
More small fish -> less plankton or whatever small fish eat?
Do people use somehow small fish that are in tuna's menu? Did you mean that those small fish trash oceans?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Ok, so:
Recent interest in sushi -> less tuna in oceans. yes
Less tuna in oceans -> more small fish that would normally get eaten by tuna yes
More small fish -> less plankton or whatever small fish eat? something along those lines... it's a chain -- and nice summary, BTW
Do people use somehow small fish that are in tuna's menu? other fish, such as some you mentioned earlier, appear in sushi, but tuna is premier Did you mean that those small fish trash oceans? no, but you're OTRT
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interest in suchi -> fewer tuna
Fewer tuna -> more small fish
etc

Ok, so if people kept eating suchi, but cast a magic spell so that the number of 'small fish' stayed the same instead of increasing, would the ocean still get trashed?

Is the trashing caused by:
- too many of the small fish that tuna would normally eat?
- too few of the smaller fish that the small fish would usually eat?
- too many of the even-smaller fish that the smaller fish would usually eat?
- too few of the even-even-smaller fish that the even-smaller fish would eat?
- fluctuation in numbers of one of more fish species, regardless of whether there were 'too many' or 'too few'?

Is there some undesirable thing that occurs when there is an abundance of 'small fish'?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik
Interest in suchi -> fewer tuna
Fewer tuna -> more small fish
etc

Ok, so if people kept eating suchi, but cast a magic spell so that the number of 'small fish' stayed the same instead of increasing, would the ocean still get trashed? not directly as a result of the missing tuna, but the sushi eaters would send their nets after those smaller fish… so I’d say [I’m a piscaphile and piscavore, not a marine biologist] that yes, it would get trashed.

Is the trashing caused by:
- too many of the small fish that tuna would normally eat? partly this
- too few of the smaller fish that the small fish would usually eat? eventually this
- too many of the even-smaller fish that the smaller fish would usually eat? {and this}
- too few of the even-even-smaller fish that the even-smaller fish would eat? finally this
- fluctuation in numbers of one of more fish species, regardless of whether there were 'too many' or 'too few'? certainly this

Is there some undesirable thing that occurs when there is an abundance of 'small fish'?
there is: might as well post the

*******SPOILER*******

Sushi is increasingly globally popular, and routinely features “maki,” rolls made with rice and raw fish, the typical inclusion being Bluefin tuna.
Bluefin tuna is a perfect fish to eat, but also an apex predator in the ocean. They take several years to reach sexual maturity, but once large and mature, nothing eats them – like Great Horned Owls in the forest.
Having gone from street food in Japan to a global culinary phenomenon, particularly with the opening of the Chinese market’s interest in sushi – fifty million new sushi eaters – Bluefin tuna stocks are on the brink of collapse. If we take this apex predator out of the equation, we end up with the subordinate fishes, which the tuna had kept in check, having a disastrous impact on each other, and on the fishes smaller than them: sardines, herring, pilchards, smelt, and the like. And once these are gone, we end up with an ocean devoid of most fish, and principally populated by sea stars, anemones, and urchins – diversity has gone, and the ecological balance of the sea has gone along with it, which will soon come back to haunt us.

On a similar note, something from the experience of many of us: I live on an island, from which macro-predators such as wolves and bears were eliminated a century ago, so there’s an over-abundance of deer, leading to diseased deer, traffic obstacles, wrecked gardens, and the like. Same thing for rabbits on my island. Interestingly, there were no coyotes here, but when a bridge to the mainland was built in 1937, some coyotes walked across, and have populated all the way down to my end of the island. Outdoor cats go missing a lot, but coyotes are too small to take on deer.
Diversity is everything.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting.
When you stop to think about it, the only animals that humans eat that primarily eat other animals, are fish (also whales & dolphins of course). But many vegetarians - if not strict vegans - are OK with eating fish.
Not trying to start a discussion, just waxing philosophical this morning. Also feeling a bit lightheaded, as I haven't had my eggs & bacon yet.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: