[Ixoye] The Anti-Dentite Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2013 » [Ixoye] The Anti-Dentite « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 4227
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One afternoon after leaving the dentist's office, a man stopped at a pay telephone to call someone he'd never met and say, "It's me! I'm ok!"
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there more relevant people than Dentist, Caller and the person who was called?
Could the Caller have used his mobile phone with same result?
Did the Caller visit Dentist's office to have something done with his teeth? If not, did he meet the Dentist at all?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4229
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there more relevant people than Dentist, Caller and the person who was called? Yes but only to a minor degree
Could the Caller have used his mobile phone with same result? Yes. This is from real life, and in some versions of the story he used a mobile phone, in others a pay phone
Did the Caller visit Dentist's office to have something done with his teeth? Safe to assume, yes
If not, did he meet the Dentist at all? Safe assumption but not all that relevant
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he'd been at the local bookshop instead of at the dentist, and if he hadn't been to the dentist at all that day, would he still have made the call and said the same thing?
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you say 'never met,' do you simply mean that they had never med face-to-face? Might he have been acquainted with the other person through correspondence? on some official basis? or through e.g. the LTPF? or were they complete strangers?
was Caller a well-known person?
Did something terrible happen at the dentist's office - something not mouth-related, that is?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4230
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he'd been at the local bookshop instead of at the dentist, and if he hadn't been to the dentist at all that day, would he still have made the call and said the same thing? Maybe, there would have to be one thing in common. Explore.

When you say 'never met,' do you simply mean that they had never med face-to-face? Might he have been acquainted with the other person through correspondence? on some official basis? or through e.g. the LTPF? or were they complete strangers? They had never met, the caller did not know anything about the person he was calling. The person that was called knew something about the caller though - good q
was Caller a well-known person? Yes, to the person who was called and to those less involved in the scenario
Did something terrible happen at the dentist's office - something not mouth-related, that is? No, actually something happened that ended up being far from terrible but at the time it may have seemed terrible
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WAG: Is laughing gas relevant?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4232
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WAG: Is laughing gas relevant? No
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Caller instructed to call that person? If yes, was he also instructed what to say? Did the called person instantly know who was on the phone? Did the called person expect the call?
If yes, did the called person feel relieved when he/she received the call?
Did Caller do anything relevant between visiting Dentist and making call? Did he do anything else in Dentist's office besides things connected with teeth?
Did Caller say anything else to the called person, besides "It's me. I'm ok"?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4233
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Caller instructed to call that person? No
If yes, was he also instructed what to say? N/R
Did the called person instantly know who was on the phone? Probably not, based on the purpose for the call
Did the called person expect the call? NO - good q
If yes, did the called person feel relieved when he/she received the call? Maybe, there's a better word though
Did Caller do anything relevant between visiting Dentist and making call? Yes, one thing
Did he do anything else in Dentist's office besides things connected with teeth? Yes-ish, not so much what he "did"
Did Caller say anything else to the called person, besides "It's me. I'm ok"? Yes
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had the caller been in the dentist's office for an appointment? For an operation? Did he commit a crime? Did he kill the dentist?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When Caller went to the dentist, did he already plan to make the call? Did Caller call the person he intended to call? Is it relevant how Caller acquired the phone number?
Was the purpose of the call to assure the called person that he was still alive? Able to speak? That the phone was working? Did any relevant third party overhear the call?
Is espionage relevant?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4235
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had the caller been in the dentist's office for an appointment? Yes
For an operation? No, just usual appointment
Did he commit a crime? Did he kill the dentist? Neither

When Caller went to the dentist, did he already plan to make the call? No - good q
Did Caller call the person he intended to call? Yes
Is it relevant how Caller acquired the phone number? No
Was the purpose of the call to assure the called person that he was still alive? YES
Able to speak? That the phone was working? These wouldn't have been important
Did any relevant third party overhear the call? Eventually, maybe
Is espionage relevant? No
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant why the well-known person was well-known? Was he in politics, the Arts, business, military, etc?
Did he identify himself: "It's me, _______, I'm OK."
Was the person called a journalist?
Was the dentist also well-known?
And shouldn't he have said "It is I?"
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4954
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can we call the caller Mark?

Did Mark phone 911 or 999 ? Did he hear something that made him make the call? A radio perhaps in the dentist's waiting room? Was an appeal as to his whereabouts read out on the news?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the caller's other words spoken before "It's me, I'm Ok"? after? In between?

Did the receiver have caller ID that told him the number of the caller, or who the caller was?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4236
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant why the well-known person was well-known? Yes
Was he in politics, the Arts, business, military, etc? "Arts" is closest
Did he identify himself: "It's me, _______, I'm OK." Yes
Was the person called a journalist? No
Was the dentist also well-known? No, not relevant
And shouldn't he have said "It is I?" Well yes, to be grammatically correct (which he may have been)

Can we call the caller Mark? Yes, the caller is now "Mark"

Did Mark phone 911 or 999? No
Did he hear something that made him make the call? Yes...
A radio perhaps in the dentist's waiting room? ...this is what he heard, yes
Was an appeal as to his whereabouts read out on the news? Not this but you are OTRT

Were the caller's other words spoken before "It's me, I'm Ok"? after? In between? According to most accounts, the first thing he said was, "It's me, __________, and I'm ok." Then he said some other things following this.

Did the receiver have caller ID that told him the number of the caller, or who the caller was? Maybe but it's not relevant
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4956
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Mark exposed to something poisonous or a contagious disease and he was been asked to confirm that he was not showing any symptoms?

Not sure if it's been asked but does Mark have a hazardous occupation?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4957
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I forgot to ask this ...

If the poison or disease thing is not correct is Mark's life in danger from some other threat?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4238
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Mark exposed to something poisonous or a contagious disease and he was been asked to confirm that he was not showing any symptoms? No

Not sure if it's been asked but does Mark have a hazardous occupation? No

If the poison or disease thing is not correct is Mark's life in danger from some other threat? No
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are means of transportation relevant? Did Mark change his intended mean of transportation to someone else and the intended one have a crash?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4239
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are means of transportation relevant? No
Did Mark change his intended mean of transportation to someone else and the intended one have a crash? No
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Mark an actor; or is he a TV personality, or some other loose interpretation of the term "actor"? If not, is Mark an athlete?
Am I OTRT, or anywhere near it?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4240
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Mark an actor; or is he a TV personality, or some other loose interpretation of the term "actor"? No
If not, is Mark an athlete? No
Am I OTRT, or anywhere near it? OTRT, yes
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark is some sort of celebrity? Although not a TV personality of sportsperson... Is he a politician? Businessman? 'Radio personality'? Musician?

Had Mark been the subject of news or discussion on the radio, whereby the discussion was about whether Mark was 'ok'? And, hearing the radio and knowing the number, he phoned the radio to exclaim that he was ok, and put an end to the media speculation?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4241
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark is some sort of celebrity? Yes
Although not a TV personality of sportsperson... Is he a politician? Businessman? 'Radio personality'? Musician? Yes, this

Had Mark been the subject of news or discussion on the radio, whereby the discussion was about whether Mark was 'ok'? And, hearing the radio and knowing the number, he phoned the radio to exclaim that he was ok, and put an end to the media speculation? Exactly!

SPOILER

This happened to singer Gordon Lightfoot in 2010. He was either on the way to or at a dental appointment (accounts vary on this) when he heard a radio host proclaim "Gordon Lightfoot is dead." The rumor of his death surprised Lightfoot, so as soon as he left the dentist's office he got to a phone, called the station and said, "This is Gordon Lightfoot, and I'm ok!"

Nice work by everyone
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember reading this story. Good one.
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably shocked the dentist when she saw a ghost walk in to have his teeth done ;-)

Satisfying answer, that one :-)
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 737
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a well-constructed and satisfying puzzle. Good work.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4962
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice job .

In a happy coincidence 'Early Morning Rain' appeared on a random shuffle on my iPod this morning .

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: