[Yojimbo] ...weary... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2013 » [Yojimbo] ...weary... « Previous Next »

Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He would occasionally grab a fork before going to take a nap.
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"He" - H/A/M?
"Fork" - for eating? carving fork? tuning fork? is "fork" here a noun? or is it being used as a euphemism for a certain word, contextually a verb, perhaps?

"take a nap" - sleep for a short while? literally remove a physical object referred to as "a nap"?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kayleearafinwiel
"He" - H/A/M? yes
"Fork" - for eating? this kind of fork carving fork? tuning fork? is "fork" here a noun? or is it being used as a euphemism for a certain word, contextually a verb, perhaps?

"take a nap" - sleep for a short while? this literally remove a physical object referred to as "a nap"?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grab it: take a hold of it? Picking it up? Using it? Taking it with him? Would he let go of the fork? If so: Before napping? During the nap? After? "grab a fork" = eat something? Taking a fork in one's hand?
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would he grab a knife instead of a fork with the same result?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk
You've appeared! We were talking about you in a puzzle thread... welcome back.
Grab it: take a hold of it? yes Picking it up? \band yes} Using it? yesish Taking it with him? yes Would he let go of the fork? eventually If so: Before napping? During the nap? this After? "grab a fork" = eat something? no Taking a fork in one's hand? this
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Would he grab a knife instead of a fork with the same result? he could have
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
I almost missed your Q again -- my screen this morning is super tiny...
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he want to control the time of his nap with a fork (man falls sound asleep - releases the fork - fork falls on the floor - sound wakes the man up)?
Is it important for the man that the fork is a bit sharp? made of metal? easily accessible?
Is the man diabetic?
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 439
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would he have met his desired outcome if he'd taken the fork, but put it on a nearby table or patch of floor next to him instead, before starting his nap?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2013 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Does he want to control the time of his nap with a fork (man falls sound asleep - releases the fork - fork falls on the floor - sound wakes the man up)? that sounds like a pretty short nap -- but you've got it. Rather than me $poiling it, want to find out who was crazy enough to take these micro-naps? He's a real HAM
Is it important for the man that the fork is a bit sharp? made of metal? yes easily accessible?
Is the man diabetic? I don't think so

Psydkik
Would he have met his desired outcome if he'd taken the fork, but put it on a nearby table or patch of floor next to him instead, before starting his nap? no, see above -- and please help discern who this nutjob was
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2013 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure I want to discover who it was. And now I feel sorry for $poiling your puzzle... I did not believe this guess was true, just wanted to confirm it's wrong...

Did the man use this fork-nap idea at his work? Is his profession relevant? Was he European? American? Did he live in [LTPF list of centuries]?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2013 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you hadn't already guessed it, Redwine, I would have done - and I suspect Galfisk too given it was his question about 'during the nap' that led there ;-)

So this HAM - a famous person? A friend or relative of Yojimbo? Yojimbo himself?!
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 313
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2013 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure I want to discover who it was. And now I feel sorry for $poiling your puzzle... I did not believe this guess was true, just wanted to confirm it's wrong...
that was a lateral $poil; besides, once this puzzle runs out, I've got one about a man found hanging above a puddle...
Did the man use this fork-nap idea at his work? while working, yes Is his profession relevant? not necessarily -- but he's notorious in his field, so it will help if you know it Was he European? yes American? Did he live in [LTPF list of centuries]? 20th

Psydkik
So this HAM - a famous person? very A friend or relative of Yojimbo? Yojimbo himself?! Yojimbo, having learned of this when a boy, tried such a nap, and found it to be briefly effective -- but it's not him
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2013 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he an engineer? Scientist?

In the entertainment industry?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 319
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik
Was he an engineer? no Scientist? no
In the entertainment industry? no
I switched the color of your username a bit; that stock green was getting on my nerves...
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 492
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he a journalist? A policeman? In the Information Technology?
Was he allowed to take a nap at work?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 468
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his job involve setting something up, and then waiting for it to finish, and then coming back to it?

Did a short nap not affect his effectiveness at work, but a long nap would have done?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Was he a journalist? A policeman? In the Information Technology? none of these; also "self-employed"...
Was he allowed to take a nap at work? ...so he could do whatever he liked
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 328
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik
Did his job involve setting something up, and then waiting for it to finish, and then coming back to it? no
Did a short nap not affect his effectiveness at work, but a long nap would have done? neither
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 478
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was taking a nap important for the man's work to be successful? Was the length of the nap important for the success of the man's work? Was this napping-while-at-work approved of by his employer? (Did he have an employer?)

Was there a reason that he couldn't use an alarm clock? Did he just enjoy being eccentric?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 335
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik
Was taking a nap important for the man's work to be successful? when he was engaged in his work, but was weary, he might have one of these micro-naps Was the length of the nap important for the success of the man's work? he wanted to keep working, so he didn't want to expend time on a long nap Was this napping-while-at-work approved of by his employer? (Did he have an employer?) "self-employed"

Was there a reason that he couldn't use an alarm clock? no Did he just enjoy being eccentric? I'm sure very much this
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 500
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have we already determined where and when the man lived? If not, may I invoke LTPF lists of continents and centuries?
Was people's live dependent on good condition of our protagonist? Was he an artist?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Have we already determined where and when yes the man lived? If not, may I invoke LTPF lists of continents Europe and centuries? 20th
Was people's live dependent on good condition of our protagonist? no Was he an artist? yes
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, artist then: painter? sculptor? writer? poet? composer? musician? connected with dance? theatre? film director? actor? singer?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Ok, artist then: painter? this sculptor? writer? he's not generally known for it, but written works of his exist -- a red herring not worth your pursuit, though poet? composer? musician? connected with dance? theatre? film director? actor? singer?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 512
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Van Gogh? Cezanne? Gauguin? Toulouse - Lautrec?
If none of the above: French? Italian? German? Russian? From Scandinavian countries? Swiss? British?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Van Gogh? no, but he seems like the type, doesn't he? Cezanne? Gauguin? Toulouse - Lautrec? none of the rest
If none of the above: French? Italian? German? Russian? From Scandinavian countries? Swiss? British? none of these
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 515
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spanish? Salvadore Dali?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Spanish? Salvadore Dali? you've got it

*******SPOILER*******

Salvador Dalí, the notorious Catalonian surrealist painter, would become weary when working, and take the briefest possible naps.
With a fork in hand, he’d sit in a chair, the fork poised above a pie plate, and when he fell asleep, he’d drop the fork. When it hit the pan, he’d awake, and go back to working.
Considering the Law of Falling Forks, his nap was less than a second, but enough for him to feel “refreshed” and ready to go back to work.
Indeed, I tried it when I was a boy, and found it briefly efficacious.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 518
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice puzzle and another inspiring fact to learn. Thanks Yojimbo.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My pleasure. Nice early $poil; that was, indeed, lateral thinking. Who would take such an odd nap?
I've got a new puzzle to post, but I'm wary of it -- no new facts to learn; just thinking of turning classics on their heads. We'll see if I follow through...
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 521
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm waiting for the man hanging above the puddle :-), you promised.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did I already mention that? I'm too chatty. Alright, then, keep an eye out...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: