[Doriana] She fainted I Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [Doriana] She fainted I « Previous Next »

Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When he mentioned the tripod, she fainted.

Two notes before the lateral fun starts...
a) This is based on an urban legend. Early $poylers - please e-mail.
b) This is part I of a "She fainted" series. As soon as one of my three current puzzles is solved, I'll post part II.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 668
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she H?A?F? Is her profession relevant? Did the tripod belong to her? Was there something relevant on the tripod? Was something relevant hanged below the tripod?
Did she interact with the tripod in any way? And if yes, was she at that time aware it was the tripod?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she H?A?F? yes to all Is her profession relevant? no Did the tripod belong to her? no Was there something relevant on the tripod? not yet Was something relevant hanged below the tripod? no
Did she interact with the tripod in any way? no And if yes, was she at that time aware it was the tripod? n/a
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 693
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the tripod designed for something specific? Is it relevant whose the tripod was? Did she faint from fear? From excitement? Due to an illness?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the tripod designed for something specific? yes, but explore Is it relevant whose the tripod was? yes Did she faint from fear? From excitement? Due to an illness? no to all, fear is probably closest
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 705
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the tripod smaller than a coin? a fist? a breadbox? a dog? a car? a house?
Was the tripod a piece of art? Is technology relevant?
Did she know what would come onto a tripod? Would that item be used on her?
Are there more people relevant besides her and tripod owner? Was the tripod owner H? A? M? Is his/her profession relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the tripod smaller than a coin? a fist? a breadbox? this a dog? a car? a house?
Was the tripod a piece of art? no Is technology relevant? yes
Did she know what would come onto a tripod? no, explore Would that item be used on her? {no, explore}
Are there more people relevant besides her and tripod owner? one is laterally relevant Was the tripod owner H? A? M? yes to all Is his/her profession relevant? very
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 718
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he (the tripod owner) a photographer? Other type of artist? Was he of a medical profession?
Did he make a discovery using the tripod? Did he use the tripod at all within the timeframes of this puzzle? Was it he who mention the tripod?
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she misunderstand what the tripod was supposed to be used for?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he (the tripod owner) a photographer? yes Other type of artist? Was he of a medical profession?
Did he make a discovery using the tripod? no Did he use the tripod at all within the timeframes of this puzzle? no Was it he who mention the tripod? yes

Did she misunderstand what the tripod was supposed to be used for? yes
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 749
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possible $poiler emailed. And if it is what I think it is, then wonderful puzzle idea it is.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RedWine, thanks! Your solution is once again correct. I hope you got my e-mail - I'm having some troubles with my internet connection at the moment and I never really know whether my e-mails actually reach the recipients.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 767
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got the mail, so don't worry.
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she believe he was of a different profession? Did she misunderstand what a "tripod" was? Did she see the tripod? Was it the sight of the tripod that made her faint? Or the mention of the Word "tripod"? Or the two combined?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she believe he was of a different profession? yes Did she misunderstand what a "tripod" was? noish Did she see the tripod? no Was it the sight of the tripod that made her faint? no Or the mention of the Word "tripod"? this, along with other things Or the two combined?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she believe he worked in...
Media?
Medicine?
Industry?
Transportation?
Bying/selling something?
Art/design?
School/education?
Some other "intellectual" profession?
Some other "physical" profession?
None of the above?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she believe he worked in...
Media?
Medicine? this is closest
Industry?
Transportation?
Bying/selling something?
Art/design?
School/education?
Some other "intellectual" profession?
Some other "physical" profession?
None of the above?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she think he was a...
Doctor?
Nurse?
Psychologist?
Psychiatrist?
Gynaecologist?
Pharmacist?
Physician?
Physical therapist?
Healer?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she think he was a...
Doctor?
Nurse?
Psychologist?
Psychiatrist?
Gynaecologist?
Pharmacist?
Physician?
Physical therapist?
Healer?
No to all. It's a pretty unusual "profession". Gynaecology, however, is OTRT.
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Urologist?
Gastroenterologist?
Radiologist?
Obstetrician?
Midwife (midhusband?)?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Urologist?
Gastroenterologist?
Radiologist?
Obstetrician?
Midwife (midhusband?)?
no to all. Keep in mind that I put profession in "..."
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 923
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, she thought he had a profession other than photographer. Did she think this kind of professional would use a tripod for another purpose? Was this assumed purpose somehow frightening to her? (I'm thinking about a gun of some kind, but this doesn't really relate to 'medical' professions)
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 286
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, she thought he had a profession other than photographer. correct Did she think this kind of professional would use a tripod for another purpose? yes Was this assumed purpose somehow frightening to her? yes (I'm thinking about a gun of some kind, but this doesn't really relate to 'medical' professions) "gun" is very loosely and laterally OTRT, though. But don't dwell on it.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 926
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, she thought he was an OTRT Gynaecologist who was going to put an OTRT gun on the tripod. I can understand why she fainted, then!
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, she thought he was an OTRT Gynaecologist no, "gynaecology" is OTRT, "gynaecologist"... not so much who was going to put an OTRT gun on the tripod. I can understand why she fainted, then! I think you're OTRT there...
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 927
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - did she think he intended to do something 'intrusive' to her... most intimate parts?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - did she think he intended to do something 'intrusive' to her... most intimate parts? yes!
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 928
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank goodness that was correct, I suspect I'd be on my way to ending up on a file if it wasn't.

Was this an arranged meeting? Did she want the services of a photographer? Did she want the services of whatever-on-earth she thought the tripod guy did?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank goodness that was correct, I suspect I'd be on my way to ending up on a file if it wasn't. Yes, that would have been somewhat awkward. But I'm also glad I'm not the only one who has weird associations between "OTRT gynaecologist" and "gun"...

Was this an arranged meeting? no, but... Did she want the services of a photographer? no! Did she want the services of whatever-on-earth she thought the tripod guy did? yes!
Good questions =)
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 931
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Righto. So she called for the services of what my brain has narrowed down to a "world's oldest professional" or some kind of unorthodox fertility clinic employee, but a photographer arrives instead, due to some hilarious misunderstanding? Or did he arrive first by chance?

And the item she assumed would be put on the tripod is an item that conventionally lacks the size to require such an apparatus?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 292
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Righto. So she called for the services of what my brain has narrowed down to a "world's oldest professional" not this or some kind of unorthodox fertility clinic employee that's more like it, but a photographer arrives instead, yes due to some hilarious misunderstanding? no Or did he arrive first by chance? yes!

And the item she assumed would be put on the tripod is an item that conventionally lacks the size to require such an apparatus? correct
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 933
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, the photographer makes some kind of comment in the vein of 'Just let me set up my "equipment" on this tripod', and she makes an unfortunate inference based on her assumption on what he's there to do to her? Is there more to it than that? I can't really be more explicit due to a laser minefield of work filters...
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, the photographer makes some kind of comment in the vein of 'Just let me set up my "equipment" on this tripod', and she makes an unfortunate inference based on her assumption on what he's there to do to her? yes Is there more to it than that? yes, but I'll save that for the spoiler I can't really be more explicit due to a laser minefield of work filters...

********SPOILER********

(Click here for a more detailed version)

A woman is waiting for a so-called "proxy father" when a door-to-door baby photographer rings the doorbell.

He is about to introduce himself, but she just tells him she has been expecting him, and thus a whole avalanche of misunderstandings starts.

He tells her he's made a "specialty of babies" and shows her some photos. Then, he explains that he usually tries some in the bathtub, some on the living room floor, and that he usually shoots from six or seven different angles. He even tells her about a client who was so difficult he "had to take her down to Hyde Park to get the job done right" etc...

When he says that he'll just go get his tripod to rest his heavy equipment on, the poor woman faints.

Nice work, Redwine (who sent me a correct early spoiler), Jondahr and especially Wiz! =)
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 938
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Très amusant.
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, wonderful! :D Never heard of proxy fathers before - what an idea! Very funny story and a great puzzle! Looking forward to the sequel(s)!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: