[gregoryuconn] The Day the Writer Died Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [gregoryuconn] The Day the Writer Died « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you asked people to recall what they were doing the day a certain famous author died, most of them would say they don't remember. However, if they were alive at the time and old enough to be forming memories, they probably do. Why?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have e-mailed you a theory.

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have e-mailed you a theory. You're correct.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also sent an email...

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also sent an email...Replied.
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the death in the using TVTropes' labels for the relevant decades:
New Tens?
Turn of the Millenium?
Nineties?
Eighties?
Seventies?
Sixties?
Fifties?
Forties?
Great Depression?
Roaring Twenties?
Edwardian Era? though I imagine there aren't many people *this* old left
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 4995
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

E-mailed a possible answer .

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the death in the using TVTropes' labels for the relevant decades:
New Tens?
Turn of the Millenium?
Nineties?
Eighties?
Seventies?
Sixties? this
Fifties?
Forties?
Great Depression?
Roaring Twenties?
Edwardian Era? though I imagine there aren't many people *this* old left

E-mailed a possible answer.replied
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know this one as well, although I'm interested in which author you're going with.
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well that begs the question... Did the death occur on the same day as another famous event? death? Moon landing? Woodstock? "I have a dream" speech? JFK's death? RFK's death? MLK's death?
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 686
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a day when people tend to do certain things? Like Christmas? or New Year's Eve?
Was something relevant broadcasted that day so that everyone was listening to the broadcast?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

not my puzzle - rather sorry to intervene...
Kalira
Well that begs the question... Did the death occur on the same day as another famous event? death? Moon landing? Woodstock? "I have a dream" speech? JFK's death? RFK's death? MLK's death?
rather a rhetorical question: who, here on the forum, remembers what they were doing during these events? They all occurred so long ago...
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A better question would be who was even ALIVE for those events. The seminal moments of my childhood were the Oklahoma City Bombing, Columbine, and Princess Di's death. And 9/11 of course, although I was a bit older.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 479
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was alive during all - thus a likely LTPF oldster - but particularly remember the moon landing, vividly, which changed my young life.

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well that begs the question... Did the death occur on the same day as another famous event? YES! death? Moon landing? Woodstock? "I have a dream" speech? JFK's death? This, no to rest obviouslyRFK's death? MLK's death?

Frankly, since at this point it would just be 20 Questions to guess who the author was, here's the

***SPOILER****
Aldous Huxley and CS Lewis both died the same day as JFK. So of course, most people who were alive and forming memories at the time have vivid memories of the day they died, but (in the case of Huxley and Lewis) don't realize it.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so who among us remembers that day?
Stand up and be counted...
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahh, I seem to recall that bit of trivia now, Greg.

I was not alive back then, Yojimbo -- born in 1984, so the seminal moments of my childhood are much like Hamilton's (though I'm not quite sure how old he is). My mother has talked about her experience during that time, though.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same thought, just didn't get here in time to participate. Good puzzle.
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I remember it. Am I the only one?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 811
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm more than two decades too young.

I'm also something of an inversion of this puzzle - I remember the date of JFK's death due to it coinciding with the date of Aldous Huxley's. I remember _that_ due to the first line in Sheryl Crow's 'Run Baby Run'.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am also far too young (almost 3 decades) to remember it.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good puzzle, but I'm also waaay too young to remember that day.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 484
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was a wee bit too young to recall it; my earliest memory is from 1965. But man, that moon landing: I was young and impressionable, and we all drank Tang and ate Space Food Sticks, and had a moon globe we got by saving Cheerios box-tops and sending them in, and I thought growing up in the space age was going to rock.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 4998
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was born 7 years after Kennedy's death but I do have a rather unhealthy fascination with the events of that week in Dallas.

Im sure I've mentioned this on the forum but 3 members of my immediate family including myself have birthdays that are landmark days in recent American History.

My birthday is 20th July - Moon Landing
My second daughter's is 22nd November - Kennedy
My youngest girl's is 11th September - 911 Attacks

The three events are also notable for the numerous conspiracy theories about them.

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was born June 17, 1992. ESPN once made a documentary about June 17, 1994, because that's the day a lot of things converged in the sports world. OJ Simpson car chase, NBA Finals, Rangers ticker tape parade after winning the Stanley Cup, World Cup starts in the USA, Arnold Palmer plays his last round of golf at the US Open, and a bunch of other things.

So I like to joke that ESPN made a documentary about my second birthday.

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, the Watergate break in happened on my birthday, Nixon released the tapes on my mom's birthday, and Ford ultimately pardoned him on my sister's birthday, though only my mom was alive at the time.
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the news of the Watergate break-in came out (not the date of the actual event) we were in the process of moving house. You don't forget a trauma like that!
What's worse, I seem to be not only the oldest person on the forum, but the oldest by at least a decade. *Sigh*
Look forward to seeing a puzzle from me about my memories of the War of 1812!
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My birthday is May 29 - a birthday I share with: 1790 - Rhode Island (13th state)
1848 - Wisconsin (30th state)
1942 - "White Christmas" (original release)

(and moving on to actual human beings)

1630 - Charles II of England (also his coronation day 30 years later
1903 - Bob Hope (a most admirable man)
1917 - John F. Kennedy
1955 - John Hinckley Jr. (rather less admirable)
1956 - LaToya Jackson
1975 - Melanie Brown ("Mel B" or "Scary Spice")
1985 Nathan Horton, Canadian ice hockey player (born the same year as me)

And a lot more. Plus a fair few May 29 deaths.

Oh, and it's also Oak Apple Day, whatever that is. I thought oaks had acorns. o.O But it sounds interesting.
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 540
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wasn't born until ~16 years after JFK's death.

*hand stays down and isn't counted*
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5003
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaylee I can add my sister Niamh to your list of cool people whose birthday is 29th May
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 515
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaylee
Oak apples are galls on oaks, caused by a wasp laying eggs in the bark. I think they're higher in tannin than oak bark usually is, and were a principal ink source? That would make them worth celebrating.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: