[WiZ] The answer is not 'Zimbabwe'... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [WiZ] The answer is not 'Zimbabwe' « Previous Next »

Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 814
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Annoyed by the ubiquitous giraffe riddle on facebook (and how terribly clever people seemed to think it was), I decided to improvise my own based on what was sitting on my desk in front of me. I tried this out on my facebook friends, who 'liked' the solution instead of writing incendiary replies, so I think you may enjoy it. I also think you may find it much easier than they did.

Where in the world would:

Bananas cost $250,
Spring onions cost $500
Potatoes cost $750
A courgette cost $1000,
and Cauliflower cost $1,250?

Early spoliers, you know the drill
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I was typing questions I hit on the solution. Emailing.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possible $poyler e-mailed =)
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 825
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin: Correct working, wrong conclusion. Suffice it to say that this isn't strictly a word puzzle.

Doriana: Correct :-)
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, now I got it.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 827
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2013 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you have indeed :-).
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the words have anything to do with it? Or only the items? Would everything cost a multiple of $250? Could something cost $0?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 841
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the words have anything to do with it? yes Or only the items? no Would everything cost a multiple of $250? yes Could something cost $0? yes
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you keep a squash on your desk? and a cauliflower...?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 843
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you keep a squash on your desk? and a cauliflower...? I often have data on the prices thereof on my desk.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 729
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these prices of the actual items (bananas, cauliflower etc.)? Are these prices of tags for the items? Photos of the items? Pictures of the items?
Is it relevant that bananas are plural and califlower is singular?
Would every possible item have its cost according to this puzzle? If yes, would a car cost: 0? 250? 500? 750? 1000? more? Would it be relevant to this puzzle if the car was a Fiat or a Ferrari?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 850
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these prices of the actual items (bananas, cauliflower etc.)? no Are these prices of tags for the items? no Photos of the items? no Pictures of the items? no
Is it relevant that bananas are plural and califlower is singular? no
Would every possible item have its cost according to this puzzle? yes If yes, would a car cost: 0? 250? this 500? 750? 1000? more? Would it be relevant to this puzzle if the car was a Fiat or a Ferrari? yes, and both would cost more than $250
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 731
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would Fiat be cheaper? Would Ferrari be cheaper?
Is it relevant that Cauliflower starts with capital letter and courgette with a small one?
Would items named in other languages also have their prices?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 851
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would Fiat be cheaper? Would Ferrari be cheaper? Ferrari would cost more than Fiat
Is it relevant that Cauliflower starts with capital letter and courgette with a small one? no
Would items named in other languages also have their prices? Yes. For example, in Polish:

bananowy would cost $500
cukinia, kalafior and ziemniak would all cost $750
m³oda cebulka would cost either $1000 or $1250 - I haven't encountered the character between the 'm' and the 'o' before
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 526
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see that:

A courgette cost $1000

Is it also true that:

courgette cost $1000

and is it also true that:

A courgette costs $1000

A zucchini cost $1000

A green vegetable shaped a bit like a cucumber but which is actually a sort of baby marrow cost $1000
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 527
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the answer to the question be different if you had asked about Fiats, Ferraris and Fords instead of Bananas, Spring Onions and Potatoes?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 857
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonight, on 'Puzzles that aren't Rulebreakers but I suppose I can answer in a similar vein':

I see that:

A courgette cost $1000

Is it also true that:

courgette cost $1000 no

A courgette costs $1000 yes, but it wouldn't make any grammatical sense

A zucchini cost $1000 no

A green vegetable shaped a bit like a cucumber but which is actually a sort of baby marrow cost $1000 no
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 858
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the answer to the question be different if you had asked about Fiats, Ferraris and Fords instead of Bananas, Spring Onions and Potatoes? Not entirely sure what you mean by this. I could have announced the cost of Fiats, Ferraris and Fords in the puzzle statement, but the prices would have been different. However, the prices of these items would be the same regardless of which point in this discussion someone enquired about them.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am totally impressed that you cared to look up some words in Polish for me :-)
Given that "³" in "m³oda cebulka" is a consonant, are you able to determine the price?
Given that "³" comes in alphabet between "l" and "m", are you able to determine the price?
Given that "³" is pronounced like "w" in "what", "why" and "show", are you able to determine the price?
Is it possible for any item to cost more than $1500?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 528
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Wiz, what I meant was:

The question is "Where in the world would [various things cost various amounts]?"

Would the answer (ie where in the world) be the same if you had asked about Fiats and Ferraris costing $250 or whatever, instead of Bananas and Potatoes costing $250 or whatever?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 502
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Combinations of consonants and vowels relevant?
[not one on FB, I haven't seen the ubiquitous giraffe riddle, and find I'm pleased by that]
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 859
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine:

Given that "³" in "m³oda cebulka" is a consonant, are you able to determine the price? yes - it's $1000
Given that "³" comes in alphabet between "l" and "m", are you able to determine the price? If I didn't know the information you gave me in the previous question, I couldn't determine the price
Given that "³" is pronounced like "w" in "what", "why" and "show", are you able to determine the price? Not without the knowledge you gave me in the first question
Is it possible for any item to cost more than $1500? No. It's not even possible for an item to cost that.

Thanks for all the information on '³', I found it very interesting. I see now that it didn't quite copy-paste properly from the 'Learn Polish' website I took it from.

Psydkik:

The question is "Where in the world would [various things cost various amounts]?"

Would the answer (ie where in the world) be the same if you had asked about Fiats and Ferraris costing $250 or whatever, instead of Bananas and Potatoes costing $250 or whatever? Ah, gotcha. Yes, the answer to the puzzle question would be the same. You can buy all the aforementioned in this place.

Yojimbo:

Combinations of consonants and vowels relevant? no
[not one on FB, I haven't seen the ubiquitous giraffe riddle, and find I'm pleased by that] If you enjoy jokes in the vein of 'How do you get an elephant into your fridge?', you would enjoy this riddle. It seems to have enduring popularity because the forfeit for guessing incorrectly is turning one's profile picture into a giraffe in some guise or other.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 763
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does time play a factor in this puzzle? I mean the situation, in which answer to a puzzle sentence is Place X in period of time Y-Z
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 860
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does time play a factor in this puzzle? I mean the situation, in which answer to a puzzle sentence is Place X in period of time Y-Z The solution doesn't involve time (although this scenario has not existed throughout all of human or natural history)
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 765
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emailed a couple of thoughts about possible $poiler.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 863
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emailed a couple of thoughts about possible $poiler. Like Balin's first attempt, your working is correct, but your conclusion is not.

Your e-mail does reveal a potential weakness in the puzzle: There are multiple versions of this place. They deal not only with different languages, but different pricing systems. The one featured in this puzzle, however, is by far the most well-known and well-established; even those who are familiar with other versions would have been aware of the most famous version first.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this pricing used to price longer texts as well as singular words? Were the money actually paid?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 869
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this pricing used to price longer texts as well as singular words? Yes Were the money actually paid? <b>Sometimes, although the transaction would be treated more similarly to an IOU or negative credit.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Herp derp I'm Wizardofnz and I can't close html tags

Were the money actually paid? Sometimes, although the transaction would be treated more similarly to an IOU or negative credit.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When one buys what is bought in the Puzzle Place, does one got it in a sort of material, tangible item? In a sort of virtual item? Is he granted the right to use it, but it never appears as either material or virtual item?

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If this were Hebrew, which has about 10 vowels, could something cost more than $1500? If this were Hebrew without vowels, as it is commonly written, would everything be free?
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Doriana's department store game relevant? (I can't remember what puzzle that was...hang on *quick search* oh well, it was called Department Store Rulebreaker, that makes it easier. December 2011, Solved Puzzles. I remember it was a most magical place. Gregory, I vote that Doriana's Department Store be the official department store chain of Gregory Coke Land.)
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 874
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine:

When one buys what is bought in the Puzzle Place, does one got it in a sort of material, tangible item? In a sort of virtual item? <b>no<;/b> Is he granted the right to use it, but it never appears as either material or virtual item? no

Gregoryuconn:

If this were Hebrew, which has about 10 vowels, could something cost more than $1500? A version of this place existed in Israel, but I can't find any information on the pricing system in English (: Assuming it worked in the exact same way as the most well-known iteration of this place, the answer to your question is yes If this were Hebrew without vowels, as it is commonly written, would everything be free? yes (:

Kayleearafinwiel

Is Doriana's department store game relevant? (I can't remember what puzzle that was...hang on *quick search* oh well, it was called Department Store Rulebreaker, that makes it easier. December 2011, Solved Puzzles. I remember it was a most magical place. Gregory, I vote that Doriana's Department Store be the official department store chain of Gregory Coke Land.) It isn't, but the thread made for an interesting skim-read, thanks (:
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 544
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha, so:

A courgette cost $1000, yet chopped courgette could cost $750?

And a zucchini will cost $750, but never cost $500?

I offer you $500 for your soul.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 885
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha, so:

A courgette cost $1000, yet chopped courgette could cost $750?

And a zucchini will cost $750, but never cost $500?

I offer you $500 for your soul. You understand the how. Do you understand the where?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 820
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the people who sell these are artists? Designers? Are computers relevant to this puzzle?
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gameshows relevant?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 551
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, and at the moment I can't even work out where to start looking/asking! :-S
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 918
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine:

Do the people who sell these are artists? no Designers? no Are computers relevant to this puzzle? computational devices of some sort are involved

Jondahr:

Gameshows relevant? Very!

Psydkik:

No, and at the moment I can't even work out where to start looking/asking! :-S I think we're quite well-placed now (:

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wheel of Fortune relevant? Buying vowels?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 929
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wheel of Fortune relevant? Buying vowels? yes on both counts!

***** SPOILER *****

The answer is 'On Wheel of Fortune, where each individual vowel costs $250. Of course, all of these can be obtained for free with a correct guess...

Well done everyone for playing. I was initially worried that this would be either far too hard or far too easy, but it seems that there's a good balance of difficulty, and it was encouring to see that some, but not all, guessed it immediately. What I didn't anticipate so much was it becoming a riddle of two halves - figuring out the pricing scheme and then figuring out where such a scheme is in place. The current syndicated run (31 seasons) suggests it's still popular as well as culturally relevant.
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great puzzle! Should have seen it coming a lot earlier, but once your brain is shifted into the wrong gear... I think the title helped make it less obvious as it primed us to keep think geographically.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 944
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The puzzle title comes from a not-altogether-wrong guess that one of my Facebook friends made.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: