[psydkik] Traffic blockage Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [psydkik] Traffic blockage « Previous Next »

Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 529
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Victor left home and had been driving for a few miles. Then he stopped, right in the middle of the road and in the way of traffic. Why?
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 752
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he stop willingly? Did he stop, let's say, finally? Or just for a while?
Is Victor H? A? M? Was Victor driving a car? If yes, was it his car?
And assuming it was a car:
When he stopped, did he turn the car's motor off? After having stopped, did he get off the car?
Was everything in the car functionning properly when Victor stopped? Did the car still have fuel at the moment?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 5001
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this part of Victor's job? Is he manning a checkpoint?
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Home = his house? Or home plate at a baseball game? Was it the "Jailbreak for Home 5K" where you have to run from the state prison to home plate at the nearby baseball stadium? If so, was Victor working at the race? Participating?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he engaged in law enforcement, and had encountered an accident? Had he encountered a disabled vehicle?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a race going on? A parade?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 530
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gah, ok, first admission is that I need to slightly change the puzzle because I made the mistake of believing what I heard on Radio 2, only now to realise it's untrue and so I'm going to rephrase the puzzle and then answer your questions based on this new statement. Sorry!

Victor left home and had been driving for a few miles. Then he stopped at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Why?

Redwine:

Did he stop willingly? Yes

Did he stop, let's say, finally?
Or just for a while?
'Stop finally' - if you mean 'did he die?' then No.
If you're just talking about how long he stopped for, it was for an hour or two.

Is Victor H? A? M? Yes to all

Was Victor driving a car? Yes
If yes, was it his car? Yes
When he stopped, did he turn the car's motor off? Yes
After having stopped, did he get off the car? Yes, he got out of the car
Was everything in the car functionning properly when Victor stopped? Yes
Did the car still have fuel at the moment? Yes

Peter365:

Is this part of Victor's job? No
Is he manning a checkpoint? No

Gregoryuconn:

Home = his house? Yes
Or home plate at a baseball game? No

Was it the "Jailbreak for Home 5K" where you have to run from the state prison to home plate at the nearby baseball stadium? No
If so, was Victor working at the race? n/a
Participating? n/a

Yojimbo:

Was he engaged in law enforcement No
and had encountered an accident? No
Had he encountered a disabled vehicle? No

Balin:

Is there a race going on? No
A parade? No
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 503
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he off to hunt mushrooms? I do that all the time. Or perhaps hunt for something else?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 531
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yojimbo:

Was he off to hunt mushrooms? No
I do that all the time.

Or perhaps hunt for something else? More 'search' than 'hunt', but Yes... but given that he wasn't planning on going hunting for anything when he left home, what was he hunting for, and why now?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he communicate with anyone while he was driving? If so, did he make a phone call? did someone call him? did he send a text? receive a text?

Is his original destination relevant?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he discover that he'd left something behind?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 533
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana:

Did he communicate with anyone while he was driving? No
If so, did he make a phone call? n/a
did someone call him? n/a
did he send a text? n/a
receive a text? n/a

Is his original destination relevant? No

Yojimbo:

Did he discover that he'd left something behind?
Yes...

...you know what, this is kind of difficult to salvage... I'm just going to curse the Radio for spreading lies and setting me up for a fail, and spoil this now before I waste any more time!

***************Spoiler***************

Victor is a bit absent-minded. And it's not the first time someone's put something on the roof of their car and then driven off, leaving the object still on the roof of the car, from where it falls off mid journey.

Only this time, the object in question was the "smart key" for the car. This is one of those clever little devices that allows you to operate your car without actually having to put the key in the ignition - after you've unlocked the car with it, the car just works while the key remains nearby (eg in your pocket or bag). While it was sat on the roof, it was close enough to the car's ignition to operate the car, and Victor drove along happily, until he went around a corner and the keyfob fell off the roof onto the side of the road. Not long after that, the car became out of range of the keyfob...

[and here is where the Radio lied!]

...and the ignition was cut, bringing the car to a halt in the middle of the road and leaving Victor somewhat red-faced.

Which turns out not to be true now I research it a bit more. This isn't what they do at all. They actually continue to drive perfectly well without the key for as long as you like... until you turn the ignition off voluntarily. After that, you require the key to turn it back on again.

So the clever puzzle about his car giving out on him mid-journey because he didn't have the key even though he was in the process of driving the car completely fails :-(

Hmm.

Ok, next time I'm going double-research before believing radio DJs. Off to find a better replacement puzzle. ;-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: