[Solo1]Keeping a promise Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [Solo1]Keeping a promise « Previous Next »

Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. A and Mr. B had a fight.
Mr. A cheated.
But it was Mr. B's reputation that was ruined forever.
Why?
Sleepingbeaver (Sleepingbeaver)
Username: Sleepingbeaver

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the fight a sports event?
Boxing? Wrestling? Professional Wrestling? Martial Arts?
Did Mr.A reveal that Mr.B was cheating too?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the fight a sports event?
Boxing? Wrestling? Professional Wrestling? Martial Arts? No to all.
Did Mr.A reveal No that Mr.B was cheating too? He wasn't.
Good establishing questions.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Mr A and Mr B know each other? If so, were they friends? relatives? acquaintances? co-workers?

Was it a physical fight? verbal?

Are their respective jobs relevant?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Mr A and Mr B know each other? Yes If so, were they friends? Yes, at one time. relatives? No acquaintances? closer than than co-workers? yes, DOYD of "co-workers."

Was it a physical fight? Yope verbal? Well, it was verbal before it was physical!

Are their respective jobs relevant? Yes!
Sleepingbeaver (Sleepingbeaver)
Username: Sleepingbeaver

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time and place relevant?
Was Mr.A cheating in the fight? As in "fighting against the rules"? Or was the Cheating something else, e.g. with Mrs. B?

Was the fight a duel? Did they use weapons? Did Mr.B sustain an injury? Because of Mr.A cheating?

Were other people present during the fight? relevant?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time and place relevant? Yes, especially the first.
Was Mr.A cheating in the fight? Yes As in "fighting against the rules"? Or 'taking unfair advantage,' yes. Or was the Cheating something else, e.g. with Mrs.B? No

Was the fight a duel? Yes! Did they use weapons? yes Did Mr.B sustain an injury? No, but explore Because of Mr.A cheating? n.r.

Were other people present during the fight? Yes, but of course they saw nothing! Relevant? Not really.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 284
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[LTPF of centuries] and [LTPF list of continents], please.

Did either of them die in the duel?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[LTPF of centuries] 19th and [LTPF list of continents]N. America

Did either of them die in the duel? Yes, Mr.A
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Again, while typing I figured this one out. Emailing.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 551
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sent email
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Again, while typing I figured this one out. Emailing. Yes, you did, Balin!

sent email Yo, Yojimbo! (Pardon the familiarity, but I just couldn't resist.)You're right.
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Politics relevant? Politicians?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Politics relevant? Politicians? Yes to both.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 842
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the reason for the duel relevant? Was something made public because of a duel, that Mr B was ashamed of?
Was Mr B's reputation damaged before the duel started? Would his reputation still have been damaged if Mr A had lost the duel, but lived? Would his reputation still have been damaged if Mr A had won the duel? Is it relevant to Mr B's reputation that Mr A cheated in the duel?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the reason for the duel relevant? No Was something made public because of a duel, that Mr B was ashamed of? n.r.
Was Mr B's reputation damaged before the duel started? Well, it wasn't squeaky-clean before - neither was Mr A's - but it was really damaged afterward. Would his reputation still have been damaged if Mr A had lost the duel, but lived? Not nearly so much, so Yope. Would his reputation still have been damaged if Mr A had won the duel? No; he would most likely have been dead. Is it relevant to Mr B's reputation that Mr A cheated in the duel? No

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Founding Fathers relevant?
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to think of a post that wouldn't be a spoiler, but I think that'd be impossible. ;)
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Founding fathers relevant? Yes

I'm trying to think of a post that wouldn't be a spoiler, but I think that'd be impossible. Especially given the circumstances!
I figured this might be a quickie. Wait a while to see what the other participants come up with; if nothing, go ahead and $poyle.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 862
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Mr B's reputation damaged only because he engaged in a duel? Because he killed a man in a duel?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Mr b's reputation damaged only because he engaged in a duel? Because he killed a man in a duel? This
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 897
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Mr B speak publicly against duels? Against killing people? Was he regarded a hypocrite after he killed a man in a duel?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Mr B speak publicly against duels? Against killing people? Was he regarded a hypocrite after he killed a man in a duel? all no or n.r.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A.H., I think it would be appropriate if you $poyled this one.
Or Yojimbo or Balin, who are in the know.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 336
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's how I emailed it, with some clarifications:

It's the duel between Aaron Burr & Alexander Hamilton. Burr killed Hamilton, ruining his reputation, but Hamilton had cheated by altering his gun so it needed less pressure on the trigger to fire - which caused him to fire early and his shot to miss.

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And that's why I asked if Founding Fathers were relevant. =P Ah well, it's better for Balin to $poyle than me. =P
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*************SPOILER**************
What Balin said. I think our A. Hamilton had it also, and Kaylee was closing in.

The reason for the title is that I promised to post a puzzle about my memories of the War of 1812. This is a little earlier, 1804, but close enough. And I remember it clearly. I was there, trying to comfort Betsy Hamilton!
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 623
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In school -- years ago -- we were taught that Hamilton valorously and intentionally missed.
I found it somewhat comical that Alexanderhamilton was participating in the puzzle. Bold move, Solo1, and nice puzzle.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: