[Nimue] Unusual Religious Longing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [Nimue] Unusual Religious Longing « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 9715
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dorinda. a lifelong atheist, has recently acquired a very unusual reason for thinking there is a way in which her life would improve if she were a Christian. What is it??
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a very practical reason? e.g. more holidays?
Or an emotional reason? a scientific or medical reason? e.g. Christians recover easier because of their faith?
Would being Jewish, Muslim, Bhuddist, etc, have a similar effect?
Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are any of these relevant to the puzzle: Dorinda's politics? hobbies? occupation? education? romantic relationships? family? children? age? gender? place of residence? nationality? race? religion of her parents? pets? physical appearance? wealth? clothing? health?

are any of these aspects of Christianity relevant: priests? the buildings? Holy Communian? hymns? services? Christmas? Easter? other Christian festival? Christian doctrine? Christian tradition? the Bible?

would she gain a benefit as a Christian? avoid a disbenefit? if either - financial? emotional? physical?

is it relevant that she is an atheist? for the puzzle to work does she just have to be a non- Christian?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9717
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 130

Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 7:31 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it a very practical reason? somewhat e.g. more holidays? no
Or an emotional reason?somewhat a scientific or medical reason? no e.g. Christians recover easier because of their faith? no
Would being Jewish, Muslim, Bhuddist, etc, have a similar effect? I doubt it but am unsure
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1323

Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 7:55 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
are any of these relevant to the puzzle: Dorinda's politics? no hobbies? yes occupation? yope education? noromantic relationships? nofamily? nochildren? no age? yesish
gender? noplace of residence? no nationality? no race? noreligion of her parents? nopets? nophysical appearance? no wealth? no
clothing? nohealth? no

are any of these aspects of Christianity relevant: priests? nothe buildings? no Holy Communian? nohymns? yes services? see previous answerChristmas? see previous answer but one Easter? see previous answer other Christian festival? ditto Christian doctrine? no Christian tradition? just hymnsthe Bible? no

would she gain a benefit as a Christian? yesavoid a disbenefit? no if either - financial? very unlikely emotional? yes physical? no

is it relevant that she is an atheist? see next answer for the puzzle to work does she just have to be a non- Christian? I'm not sure what other religions, if any, would work
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9719
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: I'm Dorinda, & this is relevant.
Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so your life would improve in some way if you were a Christian? and it is related to hymns? do you like to sing? would you like to have the opportunity to engage in communal singing? do you want a reason to sing hymns?

is hymn singing in church relevant? hymn singing anywhere? lyrics of hymns? music of hymns? writing hymns? knowledge of hymns? names of hymns?

would you just like to know more hymns? recognise more hymns?

relevant how modern the hymns are? are all hymns relevant? a specific hymn? a specific composer? seasonal hymns? hymns for s particular occasion relevant? choirs relevant? organs?

the relevant hobby/work of yours: writing? poems? weather forecasting? philosophy? cats? age discrimination? healthcare? the internet? education? academia? cake?

you say you have recently acquired the reason: have you had a relevant change in lifestyle recently? change in job? a new hobby? a new pet?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9727
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kdoc (Kdoc)

Post Number: 1325

Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 9:48 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
so your life would improve in some way if you were a Christian?yes and it is related to hymns? yes do you like to sing? yes would you like to have the opportunity to engage in communal singing? yes but I could do that without being a Christian -- anyone can go to church & sing hymns do you want a reason to sing hymns? no

is hymn singing in church relevant? see next answer hymn singing anywhere? location is irrellyrics of hymns? yesmusic of hymns? nowriting hymns? yesknowledge of hymns? noish names of hymns? no

would you just like to know more hymns? irrelrecognise more hymns? ditto

relevant how modern the hymns are? yope are all hymns relevant?yope a specific hymn? no a specific composer? no seasonal hymns?no hymns for s particular occasion relevant? nochoirs relevant? noorgans? no

the relevant hobby/work of yours: writing? yes poems? yesweather forecasting? no philosophy? no cats? no age discrimination? nohealthcare? no the internet? no education? noacademia? no cake? no

you say you have recently acquired the reason: have you had a relevant change in lifestyle recently? no change in job? no a new hobby? well, about 7 years old a new pet? no

This is close enough for me to declare a

******** SPOILER **********
As puzzle regulars know, I write light verse (& post it in the chatroom after it's published). Puzzle regulars may also know that I'm a lifelong atheist. But I sometimes go to church for concerts, including Christmas Lessons & Carols services. I like to sing hymns, & if I were a religious believer, I would like to write lyrics for them. But I can't possibly get myself into the right frame of mind to do so. Please get yourselves into the right frame of mind to check out my new puzzle.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: