[Yojimbo] 1871... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [Yojimbo] 1871... « Previous Next »

Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 552
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...was a great year for invention.
Among others, two in particular were produced, one more rife with innovation than the other, but both were clever, and they were...?

I hope invoking the year in the title doesn't make this puzzle abruptly collapse. early $poils via email, if so?
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...cheezburgurz?

*yawns*

(apologies for the silly post - I am a very tired kaylee)
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaylee
...cheezburgurz?
well, no, but I looked it up, and that was apparently also a good year for innovative introductions:
First cheeseburger
Henry Ford introduced the 40-hour work-week
Robert Goddard first employs liquid fuel rocketry
First public demo of TV

want to visit one of my other two puzzles? They're lonely, like my cats -- I'm away from the island presently... but maybe you should get some sleep, first
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

left out of the previous post: 1st cheeseburger in 1926, apparently, as well as the others listed
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant where they were invented? If so, [list of continents] and if allowed [countries] please.

Medicine relevant? Transportation? Media? Food? Technology?

Are the two inventions connected in any relevant way?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 557
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana
Relevant where they were invented? no If so, [list of continents] and if allowed [countries] please. England
Medicine relevant? Transportation? Media? this Food? Technology?
Are the two inventions connected in any relevant way? similar attributes, but otherwise not associated
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 952
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with innovations to radio? Photography?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 559
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wizardofnz
Does it have to do with innovations to radio? Photography? neither
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 838
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with innovations to press?
Did the inventions make relevant media cheaper? Easier accessible? of better quality?
Did the inventions improve something already existing? Create something entirely new?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Does it have to do with innovations to press? no
Did the inventions make relevant media cheaper? Easier accessible? of better quality? none of these
Did the inventions improve something already existing? yope Create something entirely new? this
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 855
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the relevant media telephone? Telegraph? Television?
Are the relevant inventions commonly found in household nowadays?
Considering any of these inventions, was there a new device produced? Parts of new device?
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the inventor a 'man of letters?'
Stamps involved?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 562
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Is the relevant media telephone? Telegraph? Television? none of these
Are the relevant inventions commonly found in household nowadays? they're relatively commonish, but infrequently encountered
Considering any of these inventions, was there a new device produced? no Parts of new device? no

Solo1
Was the inventor a 'man of letters?' yes, + FA
Stamps involved? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 861
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were both inventions made by the same person? Were the inventions new ideas? Was any of the inventions connected with arts?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 566
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Were both inventions made by the same person? no Were the inventions new ideas? OTRT Was any of the inventions connected with arts? yes
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 872
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was either of the invention a new style in arts? If yes, in writing? in poetry? in painting? in graphics? in music? in sculpture?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Was either of the invention a new style in arts? no, but OTRT If yes, in writing? in poetry? in painting? in graphics? in music? in sculpture? reserve this [brief LTPF list of artistic genres]; it will be helpful later
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 877
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was either of the inventions a particular work of arts? A new technique of making works of arts?
So, we have Invention 1 and Invention 2.
Was Invention 1 created by the man of letters? Was it related to media? Was it connected with arts?

Was Invention 2 created by the man of letters? Was it related to media? Was it connected with arts?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Was either of the inventions a particular work of arts? yes A new technique of making works of arts?
So, we have Invention 1 and Invention 2. yes, and more specifically, they were creations which employed the relevant inventions
Was Invention 1 created by the man of letters? by a "man of letters," yes Was it related to media? Was it connected with arts? both

Was Invention 2 created by the man of letters? Was it related to media? Was it connected with arts? same answers
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 889
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are both relevant works of art of the same genre?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 574
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Are both relevant works of art of the same genre? yes
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 896
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant which one of the two inventions came first? Was the inventor of the later one aware of the earlier one? Were the inventions competitive to each other?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Is it relevant which one of the two inventions came first? no Was the inventor of the later one aware of the earlier one? he might have been, but irrelevant Were the inventions competitive to each other? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 909
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could the relevant inventions be used in other fields than arts? Were the works of arts in question meant to be used somehow, besides what people normally do with works of arts of this genre?
Were the relevant inventions employed in conceptual stage of making works of arts? In the "production" stage? Were the relevant works of arts exhibited?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 579
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Could the relevant inventions be used in other fields than arts? noish; one has become marginally used in everyday life, but that might lead you astray Were the works of arts in question meant to be used somehow, besides what people normally do with works of arts of this genre? no
Were the relevant inventions employed in conceptual stage of making works of arts? I would say so, yes In the "production" stage? they were indeed produced Were the relevant works of arts exhibited? for svv of "exhibited," yes
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 915
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there an entirely new genre of art created? Were the relevant works of arts produced in only one copy each?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 585
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Was there an entirely new genre of art created? not this Were the relevant works of arts produced in only one copy each? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 917
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a new style in an existing genre created?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Was there a new style in an existing genre created? the genre had existed for millenia, but there were indeed new, relevant inventions within it in 1871
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will you let me know if/when my [brief LTPF list of artistic genres] will be in order, as I'm keeping it for later? I feel I'm running in circles...

Had the relevant ideas/conceptions for these works of arts appear earlier, would people have been technologically able to produce them?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Will you let me know if/when my [brief LTPF list of artistic genres] will be in order, as I'm keeping it for later? I feel I'm running in circles... let me help you out: "in writing," from your list, is most OTRT

Had the relevant ideas/conceptions for these works of arts appear earlier, would people have been technologically able to produce them? yes
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 978
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, we're talking about new concept for written pieces, correct? Were they prose? Drama? Did the relevant new ideas concern the plot? The form?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 596
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
So, we're talking about new concept for written pieces, correct? new: yes -- concept:no Were they prose? no Drama? no Did the relevant new ideas FA concern the plot? The form? neither of these
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, in 1871 there were two relevant works of art produced, that employed new inventions. The works of art appeared in more than one copy each, they were writing, but not poetry, not prose, not drama and not press. Media are relevant. The inventions refer neither to the plot, nor to the form of the pieces. The pieces were svv of exhibited. The relevant genre of arts has existed for millennia. All accurate?
Were the pieces of writing letters? Were the pieces published? Was either inventor a female?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 601
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
So, in 1871there were two relevant works of art produced, that employed new inventions. yes The works of art appeared in more than one copy each, they were writing, but not poetry FA; they were poems, not prose, not drama and not press. Media are relevant. you can disregard this, as you’ve determined they were written works The inventions refer neither to the plot, nor to the form of the pieces. correct The pieces were svv of exhibited. …in that they were published The relevant genre of arts has existed for millennia. it’s poetry All accurate? relatively, with my embedded notes
Were the pieces of writing letters? poems the pieces published? widely Was either inventor a female? both were gentlemen
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, poems... So I think you missed "poetry" on my brief list :P

So I guess that things like rythm, rhyming scheme etc. are not relevant, as they contribute to the form...
Is the method of writing relevant poems relevant? Were they co-written by more than one person?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 605
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Ah, poems... So I think you missed "poetry" on my brief list :P oops -- I looked, and I did miss it -- apologies tendered
So I guess that things like rythm, rhyming scheme etc. are not relevant, as they contribute to the form... yes -- not relevant
Is the method of writing relevant poems relevant? no Were they co-written by more than one person? no, they were solo efforts
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies accepted :-)

Were the new means of artistic expression used in the poems? Is it relevant who/what the poems portrayed?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Were the new means of artistic expression used in the poems? yes Is it relevant who/what the poems portrayed? no; both are fairly well-known -- at least to English speakers, but likely also widely translated
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the relevant new means of artistic expression a new examples of something already existing? If yes:
- Epithetes?
- Metaphors?
- Hyperboles?
- Onomatopoeias?
Were the relevant new means of artistic expression something totally new that was not used in poetry before?
Is it relevant what type of poetry it was?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 632
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Were the relevant new means of artistic expression a new examples of something already existing? yes If yes:
- Epithetes?
- Metaphors?
- Hyperboles?
- Onomatopoeias?
simpler than the above
Were the relevant new means of artistic expression something totally new that was not used in poetry before? yes
Is it relevant what type of poetry it was? no -- so you don't have to invoke the [LTPF list of types of poetry]
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were there specific words used? Neologisms relevant?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Were there specific words used? yes Neologisms relevant? very -- $poil imminent -- care to drill a little further and suggest the works? or at least one of them? It's notorious in English literature, and perhaps elsewhere...
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, that was totally hopeless shot...

I thought about Kipling, but he was too young in 1871...
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 638
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
I thought about Kipling, but he was too young in 1871... he was, but let's say you're OTRT
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did this poet also write prose, specifically fiction? Did he incorporate verse into his fiction?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1
Did this poet also write prose, specifically fiction? yes Did he incorporate verse into his fiction? yes
and there's another poet involved, as well -- two works by different authors
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For some reason, I can't email you.
Well, did one of them use a pseudonym?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1
For some reason, I can't email you. did you replace the "at" and "dot" in my address at my profile with a "@" and "."? Helps keep the spam-bots at bay...
Well, did one of them use a pseudonym? yes, the noted logician did
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got stuck again... I checked the living dates of all English poets I could recall and noone matches... It seems all my knowledge about English literature refers to earlier epochs. Anyway, I will keep trying
Tennyson? Lewis Carroll?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 642
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
I got stuck again... I checked the living dates of all English poets I could recall and noone matches... It seems all my knowledge about English literature refers to earlier epochs. Anyway, I will keep trying attagirl
Tennyson? Lewis Carroll? this one -- can you name the relevant work? And want to take a shot at the other poet and relevant work?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alice in the Wonderland?
Was the other relevant poet also writing prose?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought it was Lewis Carroll! That's why I was trying to email you.
As for the other chap - was he in fact a chap? Was it a HAF?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 643
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Alice in the Wonderland? no
Was the other relevant poet also writing prose? no

Solo1
I thought it was Lewis Carroll! That's why I was trying to email you. as I expected
As for the other chap - was he in fact a chap? no Was it a HAF? also a British HAM
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There?
Jabberwocky?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine
Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There? yes; and the lovely, complete, hardly-known full title -- good work
Jabberwocky? INDEED -- care to discern the other work, by the other poet? Exploring the topic/inhabitants of the poem will help you get there.
If you're weary of the puzzle, though, I'll $poil it... up to you... but my test audience enjoyed figuring the rest out.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could the other poet be Edward Lear?

Are we looking for a common theme, e.g. cats?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 646
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1
Could the other poet be Edward Lear? hooray; yes -- very nice work
Are we looking for a common theme, e.g. cats? the only common theme is neologisms: invented words -- but yes, cats are common to both works, although they don't appear in The Jabberwocky
Clearly, though, it's my opportunity to post the

*******SPOILER*******

In 1871, Lewis Carroll published Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There. Edward Lear also published his clever and well-known poem, The Owl and the Pussycat.
Both works are also known for including invented words.

Among other inclusions in Carroll’s book was his notorious poem, The Jabberwocky.
The invented words are rather too numerous to count.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

In Lear’s The Owl and the Pussycat, there’s really only one invented word [although the “bong-tree” is a fantasy, but both words already existed] – and actually, an invented device – which has even endured to use, today.
A “runcible spoon” has come to be known as a spoon which also has tines like a fork, although the word “runcible” would be derived from “runcinate,” principally a botanical term, essentially meaning “re-curved,” as in thorns which curve backward along a stem.

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat;
They took some honey, and plenty of money
Wrapped up in a five-pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above
And sang to a small guitar,
“O lovely Pussy, O Pussy, my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are,
You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!”

Pussy said to the Owl, “You elegant fowl,
How charmingly sweet you sing!
Oh! Let us be married; too long we have tarried:
But what shall we do for a ring?
They sailed away for a year and a day,
To the land where the bong-tree grows;
And there in the wood a Piggy-wig stood,
With a ring at the end of his nose,
His nose,
His nose,
With a ring at the end of his nose.

"Dear Pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling
Your ring?” Said the Piggy, “I will.”
So they took it away, and were married next day
By the Turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon,
The moon,
The moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.

thanks for participating, and particular props to Redwine for her tenacity, even despite perhaps not having been weaned with these English-Lit classics. Nice final skewer from Solo1

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: