[Doriana] College kids these days... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [Doriana] College kids these days... « Previous Next »

Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In his college days, my father said something to a professor, upon which the professor remarked, "Well, that's unusual!"

If I said the same thing to a professor now, almost 40 years later, s/he might give the same answer, but for a different reason.

Was was it that my father said?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course, the last sentence should read, "What was it that my father said?"
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the advance of technology?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the advance of technology? yes
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it to do with technology your father used? If so, did he use it to conduct research, complete an assignment or do some other facet of his coursework?

Was this technology new, experimental, unpopular or largely undiscovered at the time, and is just archaic now?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 324
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it to do with technology your father used? yes If so, did he use it to conduct research, complete an assignment or do some other facet of his coursework? no

Was this technology new, experimental, unpopular or largely undiscovered at the time no to all, and is just archaic now? some people think it is
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has the relevant technology got to do with...
Writing/reading?
Communication?
Transportation?
Production?
Sending/receiving?
Measuring?
Security?
Information?
Entertainment?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has the relevant technology got to do with...
Writing/reading?
Communication? this
Transportation?
Production?
Sending/receiving?
Measuring?
Security?
Information?
Entertainment?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Telephone relevant? Before/after mobile phones?
Letters? Email?
Face-to-face communication?
Sign language?
Languages?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Telephone relevant? yes Before/after mobile phones? yesish
Letters? Email?
Face-to-face communication?
Sign language?
Languages?
irrel to rest
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 287
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say something about his own phone? About somebody else's phone? About a phone conversation? About his phone number? Somebody else's phone number? Some general aspect of telephoning?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say something about his own phone? this is most relevant About somebody else's phone? About a phone conversation? About his phone number? Somebody else's phone number? Some general aspect of telephoning?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it have to do with the sound it made? Did it have a weird ringing, and today it would be different because he would have chosen the ringtone himself?

Did it have to do with how it looked?
How it functioned?
Where it was at?
Something that had just happened to it?
Something he had done with it?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it have to do with the sound it made? Did it have a weird ringing, and today it would be different because he would have chosen the ringtone himself?

Did it have to do with how it looked?
How it functioned?
Where it was at?
Something that had just happened to it?
Something he had done with it?
no to all - you need to go back one step
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, did he own a telephone? Was he trying to make a telephone? To acquire one? Was he talking about a phone he had seen? Used?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, did he own a telephone? yes Was he trying to make a telephone? To acquire one? Was he talking about a phone he had seen? Used? no to rest
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he owned a telephone, and he said something to his professor about this, yes? About the phone itself? Or the connection? Or the person who installed it? Or how it was installed? Or where it was placed? Some detail of the phone? The whole phone? Something surrounding the phone? Something more abstract?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he owned a telephone, yes and he said something to his professor about this, yes? yesish About the phone itself? yesish Or the connection? Or the person who installed it? Or how it was installed? Or where it was placed? Some detail of the phone? The whole phone? Something surrounding the phone? no to these Something more abstract? noish
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the fact that he had a telephone of his own at all at such young age? Or something else about the fact that he owned a telephone? Or was there something about this particular phone that was unusual?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the fact that he had a telephone of his own at all at such young age? this - you're almost done. Why might a professor say the same thing nowadays? Or something else about the fact that he owned a telephone? Or was there something about this particular phone that was unusual? no to rest
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cell phone instead of landline?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cell phone instead of landline? yes. Time to declare the

********SPOILER********

Back in his college days in the mid-seventies, my dad needed a letter of recommendation from one of his professors. The professor asked him for his home address so that he could mail to him. My dad said, "I can also give you my phone number so that you can call me and I can pick it up here". Since landline phones were quite expensive back then, it was quite uncommon for students to have one.

If today, I told one of my professors to call me on my landline phone, s/he could be equally surprised because only 25 % or so of students-only households in Germany still have landline.

Thanks for playing, Balin, Greg and especially Jondahr =)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: