[Solo1] Untold suffering Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [Solo1] Untold suffering « Previous Next »

Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barak Obama and I are members of an oppressed and repressed minority group. So are a number of LTPFers, although they may not realize it.
What do we all have in common?

Obviously, the title and the puzzle statement are ironic/hyperbolic. If one can have this trait and not realize it, it can't be seriously oppressive! Nevertheless, we are a minority.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 592
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Distantly related to Dick Cheney?
or would that be a "depressed" minority group?
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the spelling "Barak" as opposed to the usual (AFAIK) spelling "Barack" relevant?

Are we speaking of the 44th and current President of the United States, Barack Hussein Obama? Of his father, Barack Obama, Sr.?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Distantly related to Dick Cheney? Is he? AFAIK, I'm not. No, Cheney n.r., and he is not a member of this minority group.
Is the spelling "Barak" as opposed to the usual (AFAIK) "Barack" relevant? No, just my bad (fingers).
Are we speaking of the 44th and current President of the United States, Barack Hussein Obama? Yes Of his father, Barack Obama, Sr.No; however if he were alive, he _might_ be in this group.
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5596
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am I, in your opinion, a member of this minority group? Does geographical location or age have anything to do with it?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am I, in your opinion, a member of this minority group? I don't know. Does geographical location yessish, in a very broad sense or age nohave anything to do with it?
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 555
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any countries in the world where everyone is in this minority group? Any countries where no-one is in this minority group?

Does the group have more than a hundred members? more than ten thousand? more than a million? more than a billion? [to your best estimate]

Is the common thing:
- something that you 'are' (eg eye colour, height)
- something that you have experienced (eg played football, swum with dolphins)
- something that you believe/think (eg Christian, Saints fans)
- something that you know (eg how to paint a wall, how to measure golden syrup accurately)
- something that you are physically close to (eg live next door to someone called John, live within 5 miles of a school)
- some subjective grouping created by a human (eg on 'World's sexiest elbows' list, or on John Smith's list of '100 people that scare me')
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any countries in the world where everyone is in this minority group? AFAIK, no
Any countries where no-one is in this minority group?AFAIK, no

Does the group have more than a hundred members? more than ten thousand? more than a million? Yes more than a billionWorld-wide? IDK. Let's limit the scope to the US/UK, and say no, not more than a billion.

Is the common thing:
- something that you 'are' (eg eye colour, height) this is closest, but not these.
- something that you have experienced (e.g. played football, swum with dolphins) for some people, it would be _related_ to an experience, but not the experience itself.

The rest, no or n.r,
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any countries in the world where this is a majority group instead of a minority group? Are they oppressed everywhere? Is there any place where they are the oppressors rather than the oppressed?

Is there any region of a country where these people are the majority? Any city or town? Any smaller location (like a school or prison)? Same questions for places where everyone is in the minority group? And for nobody is in the minority group?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any countries in the world where this is a majority group instead of a minority group? IDK; this puzzle applies to the UK and US. Are they oppressed everywhere?In the UK and US; true oppression n.r., but it might seem like they are discriminated against. Is there any place where they are the oppressors rather than the oppressed? Possibly, but not in the US/UK.

Is there any region of a country where these people are the majority? Any city or town? Any smaller location (like a school or prison)? Unknown; n.r. Same questions for places where everyone is in the minority group? And for nobody is in the minority group? There may be places where majority and minority trade places, but nowhere in the Western world where there is only one group.

Maybe a small clue will help: Gregory, you are in the majority.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 961
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the common trait something people are born with? Something people can get/develop if they want to? Something people get from others?
Does it have to do with names?
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 568
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the minority group:
- people with a particular colour of hair?
- people over/under a certain height/weight?

Were you able to confirm Gregory's membership of the majority group based solely on information you got from his LTPF profile?

Were you unable to confirm Lynne's membership of either group because her LTPF profile was lacking sufficient information? Could you have placed her into one or other group if she'd filled out every profile section in full?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the common trait something people are born with? Yes, DOYD of 'born with' Something people can get/develop if they want to?Yes, with a slight -ish. Something people get from others? Yessish Does it have to do with names? Yes!

Are the minority group:
- people with a particular colour of hair?
- people over/under a certain height/weight? No, nothing physical.

Were you able to confirm Gregory's membership of the majority group based solely on information you got from his LTPF profile? Yes

Were you unable to confirm Lynne's membership of either group because her LTPF profile was lacking sufficient information? could you have placed her into one or other group if she'd filled out every profile section in full? Yes
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 973
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with how common the names are? Who are the names shared with? Some celebrities with the same names, perhaps?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2013 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with how common the names are? YopeWho are the names shared with? Yopish Some celebrities with the same name, perhaps?Perhaps, but celebrities no more relevant than anyone else.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suppose I lied about my name in my profile and my real name is Barack Koch. Would I still be in the majority? What if my name was George Koch? Ed Koch (which is also the name of a former mayor of New York City, in case that's relevant)? Boogabooga Koch?

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What if his name was Gregory Coke? Gregory Coke-it-is? Gregory Kotch? Gregory Cook? Gregory Cake?

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What if his name was Gregory Coke? Gregory Coke-it-is? Gregory Kotch? Gregory Cook? Gregory Cake?
Sleepingbeaver (Sleepingbeaver)
Username: Sleepingbeaver

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the alphabetical position of the names relevant?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5597
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Following on from Sleepingbeaver's suggestion (thank you), are those in the second half of the alphabet discriminated against because they're always further back in the queue/line for whatever's going?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suppose I lied about my name in my profile and my real name is Barack Koch. Would I still be in the majority? YesWhat if my name was George Koch? Ed Koch? Yes to both, and also to Boogabooga.

What if his name was Gregory Coke? Gregory Coke-it-is? Gregory Kotch? Gregory Cook? Gregory Cake? Yes to all.

Is the alphabetical position of the names relevant? Yes!

Following on from Sleepingbeaver's suggestion (thank you), are those in the second half of the alphabet discriminated against because they're always further back in the queue/line for whatever's going? Yes.

************SPOILER*************
An English mathematics professor came up with this theory when he checked the phone book & found that 63% of the names started with the initials A - M. From a random selection of US phone books, I think pretty much the same proportion must hold true here. Then he looked in Who's Who and found that 67% of the names there started with those letters. Which is probably true in the US also. 27 out of 44 presidents have those initials.

This was inspired by (I think) the Wizard's "What do these have in common?" puzzle. I thought we might have to go through a few more examples. But that one got solved pretty quickly too. We're just too brilliant!
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will gladly claim credit for your inspiration. I deem this affirmative action, as all three of my names are towards the end of the alphabet
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first name is in the first half of the alphabet, and my last name (and middle name) are in the second half. I wonder how rare people are with both first and last name in the second half of the alphabet. I know at least two people like this, but they definitely make up considerably less than 1/4 of the friends I've had.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just checked my Facebook friends list and only 18 out of 152 of them have both first and last name in the second half of the alphabet--so a fairly small minority. And this list includes many Asian names, so if you were to restrict it to people with typical American names it would probably be even smaller.
Psydkik (Psydkik)

Post Number: 592
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first and last names are both in the second half of the alphabet, as is one of my two middle names. In some situations, it's a pain being put at the back of queues listed alphabeticallly. On other occasions (such as at school where teachers sat us in alphabetical order and went through homework starting from the A's) it was a blessing (because I would be working out the answers to the ones I was going to get asked while the early half of the alphabet were already having to answer questions!).
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 635
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My initials are BAC, so I'm like the cream on a pail of milk
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first, middle and last names are all in the first half of the alphabet. With my last name being Ackermann, I'm usually on the very top of alphabetically sorted lists - at my graduation ceremony, we were lined up alphabetically, and out of 600 graduates, I was 7th. Not quite the one percent, but pretty close.

Also, my initials are LKA, which is also the abbreviation for Landeskriminalamt, which is the state office of criminal investigation B-)
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine are MB, so first half again. And before I got married, my surname used to begin with A, what made me always first on any alphabetical lists.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always found myself at the end of rolls and lists throughout primary and secondary school, but when I graduated from university I was in front of the many Xus, Yangs and Zhengs who had come from China to study. I find myself in the same situation at work. The XYZ section of New Zealand phonebooks used to fit on a single page as a rule, but they're getting about twice as fat with every passing year. There was probably a lateral thinking puzzle in that. Oh well.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: