[WiZ] The Guitar Man Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [WiZ] The Guitar Man « Previous Next »

Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Difficulty: Easy. Or at least easier than any of my puzzles involving meth and lawyers.

A woman finds an envelope in her letterbox. She opens it and finds only a single photograph of a loaf of bread. She begins to weep with joy and runs back into the house with great excitement. Why?
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she enter a contest to win a random object, and they sent her a photo of her prize? And she knew they were sending her a photo of her prize? And so she won a lifetime supply of bread? And so she would never go hungry again?

I didn't think it would be that easy.... More seriously:

Is it relevant what kind of bread it was? White? Whole wheat? Rye? Pumpernickel? Pumpkin? Banana? Zucchini? Potato? Italian? Garlic? French? Naan? Matza? Bagel? Baguette? Black? Biscuit? A roll? Hamburger bun? Hot dog bun? Challah? Communion wafer? Cornbread? Crepe? Crumpet? English muffin? Flatbread? Papadum? Pita? Sourdough? Tortilla? Zopf? Yufka? Zwieback?
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 974
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she know who sent the envelope? Did she recognize that particular loaf of bread? Is the loaf of bread surrounded by anything relevant? Is the loaf whole? Is the loaf of a particular, extraordinary shape?
If she received a photo of other food stuff, with other conditions unchanged, would she be equally happy?
Is the photo a sign that someone arrived at his/her destination?
Time relevant? Location relevant?
And, talking about bread, I almost overbaked the cake sitting here and typing questions :-)
Irishelk (Irishelk)
Username: Irishelk

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome puzzle statement.

Does the cause of her joy have anything to do directly with bread? Has she gained money? Other physical gain?

Is anyone else involved? If so, 1? 2? More? Any group of people?

Was the envelope mailed to her? Does it have any writing on it?

Are you stealing my habit of using song titles as puzzle names?

What in heaven's name is papadum?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that it was a photograph? Would a drawing of bread have worked as well? A sculpture? An actual loaf?

Was the loaf marked in any way?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregoryuconn:

Did she enter a contest to win a random object, and they sent her a photo of her prize? And she knew they were sending her a photo of her prize? And so she won a lifetime supply of bread? And so she would never go hungry again? lateral, but no.

I didn't think it would be that easy.... correct! More seriously:

Is it relevant what kind of bread it was? yes White? Whole wheat? Rye? Pumpernickel? Pumpkin? Banana? Zucchini? Potato? Italian? Garlic? French? Naan? Matza? Bagel? Baguette? Black? Biscuit? A roll? Hamburger bun? this Hot dog bun? or this Challah? Communion wafer? Cornbread? Crepe? Crumpet? English muffin? Flatbread? Papadum? Pita? Sourdough? Tortilla? Zopf? Yufka? Zwieback? N.B. There are acceptable alternative answers, but those two would be the most helpful. Also, is that the official LTPF list of bread varieties?

Redwine:

Did she know who sent the envelope? yes Did she recognize that particular loaf of bread? no Is the loaf of bread surrounded by anything relevant? yes! Is the loaf whole? yes Is the loaf of a particular, extraordinary shape? the shape itself isn't extraordinary, but not all shapes of bread would work for this puzzle
If she received a photo of other food stuff, with other conditions unchanged, would she be equally happy? no. She would probably be quite confused.
Is the photo a sign that someone arrived at his/her destination? I'll say no, but you may disagree once you hear the solution :P
Time relevant? Location relevant? no to both
And, talking about bread, I almost overbaked the cake sitting here and typing questions :-) Quite the addictive substance, this LTPF

Irishelk:

Awesome puzzle statement. Thanks. I try.

Does the cause of her joy have anything to do directly with bread? no Has she gained money? no Other physical gain? yesish

Is anyone else involved? yes If so, 1? 2? More? this Any group of people? as in, a nameable sociological group? No

Was the envelope mailed to her? yes Does it have any writing on it? her address and the sender's.

Are you stealing my habit of using song titles as puzzle names? I always have to steal my titles from you-ou-ou

What in heaven's name is papadum? Perhaps you know the spelling as Poppadom? It's that thin, crisp bread you get with Indian meals.

Balin:

Relevant that it was a photograph? mostly for practical reasons Would a drawing of bread have worked as well? I don't see why not A sculpture? probably not - it would have been most impractical an actual loaf? no

Was the loaf marked in any way? not relevantly
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there only one hamburger/hot dog bun on the photo? Were there people on the photo? Was it the photo of a physical bun? Or a photo of a drawing/advert/model of a bun?
Did the woman recognize the place where photo was taken?
Was it a sort of coded message?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there only one hamburger/hot dog bun on the photo? yes Were there people on the photo? no Was it the photo of a physical bun? yes Or a photo of a drawing/advert/model of a bun? no
Did the woman recognize the place where photo was taken? no
Was it a sort of coded message? yes!

Puzzle's life expectancy has just decreased dramatically
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant how hamburger/hot dogs are advertised in the place where the woman lives?
Were other things on the photo also food? Was there only one relevant thing in the surrounding?
Is childbirth relevant?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant how hamburger/hot dogs are advertised in the place where the woman lives? no
Were other things on the photo also food? no Was there only one relevant thing in the surrounding? no
Is childbirth relevant? Oh so very
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blooper: There was only one relevant thing in the surrounding. You can probably guess what it is.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the relevant thing in the surrounding something connected with children?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the relevant thing in the surrounding something connected with children? No, except in one particular work of children's literature.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any reason other than practicality the sculpture would not work? Or would it be the same she had gotten a package with a sculpture of a hamburger bun in it, assuming it would be easy for the sender to obtain or make such a sculpture? Or is there any reason the sender couldn't buy a sculpture even if there was a store which sold them? Or are there no stores where the sender is?

For that matter, is it relevant that it came in an envelope? If the photo came in a package left on her doorstep, would she react the same way? What if the package were in her mailbox because the mailbox was unusually big? What if the envelope was left at her front door because the mailbox was broken or inaccessible (maybe due to snow)?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So close from the solution and I got so totally stuck... I'm not familiar with children's literature, at least not yet.

Does it have a specific meaning whether it was hamburger bun or hot dog bun? Are colors relevant? Was there an animal on the photo? Was it a tangible item? Smaller than a nut? a fist? a microwave? Was it a car?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregoryuconn:

Is there any reason other than practicality the sculpture would not work? no - but it would be really impractical Or would it be the same she had gotten a package with a sculpture of a hamburger bun in it, assuming it would be easy for the sender to obtain or make such a sculpture? the sculpture would need the other relevant object, but yes Or is there any reason the sender couldn't buy a sculpture even if there was a store which sold them? no Or are there no stores where the sender is? no

For that matter, is it relevant that it came in an envelope? it wouldn't necessarily have to be in an envelope, provided a condition (that has already been discussed) was met If the photo came in a package left on her doorstep, would she react the same way? yes, if the same condition was met - although she may have been able to deduce what was going on after a period of confusion What if the package were in her mailbox because the mailbox was unusually big? A huge package in a huge mailbox, meeting the same conditions that the envelope provided, would still allow this puzzle to work. She would wonder why the sender went to so much trouble, though What if the envelope was left at her front door because the mailbox was broken or inaccessible (maybe due to snow)? then the puzzle would still work

Redwine:

So close from the solution and I got so totally stuck... I'm not familiar with children's literature, at least not yet. Don't worry about it - just take the 'no' from that answer. I'll explain in the inevitable spolier if you haven't deduced it from the answer

Does it have a specific meaning whether it was hamburger bun or hot dog bun? no, either would be equally applicable Are colors relevant? no Was there an animal on the photo? no Was it a tangible item? yes Smaller than a nut? a fist? a microwave? no to all Was it a car? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the photo convey more message than just information about childbirth? Did it indicate the sex of a child? The name of a child? I assume the woman knew instantly whose child it was?
Was the other relevant item a landmark?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the photo convey more message than just information about childbirth? no Did it indicate the sex of a child? The name of a child? no to both I assume the woman knew instantly whose child it was? correct
Was the other relevant item a landmark? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the object movable? Was it a house? A building? A piece of art?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the object movable? with great difficulty Was it a house? A building? A piece of art? no to all
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a natural site? A tree? other plant? A vehicle? Was the item unique? Was the item indoors? outdoors?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a natural site? no A tree? other plant? A vehicle? no Was the item unique? no Was the item indoors? this outdoors?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, the object was man-made, correct? Was it a piece of furniture? Is it commonly found in households? If yes, in one particular room?
Was it a piano?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 609
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would seem "bun in the oven" -- euphemism for pregnancy -- is relevant?
Is the recipient of the photo pregnant? Has she just learned this from the photo? If not her, a friend or relative of hers?
Nursery rhymes relevant?
The work of children's literature: contemporary? A fable?
Its era, or otherwise time of publication: May I please invoke [LTPF list of centuries and decades]?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine:

So, the object was man-made, correct? yes Was it a piece of furniture? <b>it's a furnishing of sorts>B? Is it commonly found in households? yes If yes, in one particular room? yes
Was it a piano? no

Yojimbo:

It would seem "bun in the oven" -- euphemism for pregnancy -- is relevant? yes!
Is the recipient of the photo pregnant? no Has she just learned this from the photo? no If not her, a friend or relative of hers? yes
Nursery rhymes relevant? no
The work of children's literature: contemporary? A fable? neither, but irrelevant
Its era, or otherwise time of publication: May I please invoke [LTPF list of centuries and decades]? no

***** SPOILER *****

The photo was of a literal bun in the oven. The sender's address was that of the woman's only daughter. The woman correctly deduced that her first grandchild was on the way

Well done Redwine, and well done Yojimbo. I realise now that the idiomatic expression may not have made its way into Eastern Europe. For what it's worth (nothing, as far as the solution is concerned): The work of children's literature in which ovens and children are connected is Hansel and Gretel.

I have one remaining puzzle alive, 'The longest puzzle statement I've ever used'. Please pay it some attention.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice puzzle. It reminded me of something that may be a puzzle idea, but the puzzle would be totally not-for-children then :-) And this one made me feeling strange, as I was here typing and my husband was in kitchen, preparing - well - buns for tomorrow breakfast :-)
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Irishelk correctly identified that I had used the title of a song by the band 'Bread' as the puzzle title. It's not their most famous song, though - probably their two most well-known songs are 'Baby I'm-a want you' and 'Make it with you', both titles that give a little too much of the answer away!

This puzzle was based on a friend of mine doing a similar thing, except she uploaded a photo of a bun in an oven to Facebook, without further explanation.

Redwine: Interesting coincidence. As long as you know it's not a metaphor...
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 612
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the props, but Redwine's questions about coded messages and childbirth exposed it. I hadn't yet visited the puzzle [my mistake, Mr. Wiz].
I wondered about Hansel and Gretel, considering ovens, but those two kids were going to get roasted... interestingly, that tale also features breadcrumbs, which are rather laterally similar to a puzzle thread on the LTPF...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: