[Balin] AAA for effort Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2014 » [Balin] AAA for effort « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I hadn't needed to call AAA, I would have needed to call AAA.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AAA1 = AAA2 = American Automobile Association?

Or American Applesauce Association?
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 605
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought AAA was a type of battery :-S
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it is, but it is other things too. Besides, who calls a battery? :-P
Kaw5486 (Kaw5486)
Username: Kaw5486

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this puzzle involve a car?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AAA1 = AAA2 = American Automobile Association? Yes

Does this puzzle involve a car? Yes, my car - and welcome to the forum!
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the first call to AAA related to a breakdown or other emergency suffered on-road? Was the second? Was such a breakdown prevented by the first call?
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would both calls have been related to your own car? Are any other cars than yours relevant? Would both calls have been car-related?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 352
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the first call to AAA related to a breakdown or other emergency suffered on-road? Yes, though it did not happen on a road (puzzle would still work if it had) Was the second? No Was such a breakdown prevented by the first call? Tangentially, FA

Would both calls have been related to your own car? Yes Are any other cars than yours relevant? No Would both calls have been car-related? Yes
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the breakdown lead to some part of the car being repaired that otherwise would have had to be repaired anyway?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the breakdown lead to some part of the car being repaired that otherwise would have had to be repaired anyway? No
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did AAA discover a flaw with your car that would have led to it breaking down eventually if they hadn't fixed it? And then you would have needed to call AAA?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did AAA discover a flaw with your car that would have led to it breaking down eventually if they hadn't fixed it? And then you would have needed to call AAA? No
Kaw5486 (Kaw5486)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the welcome. I am a long time lurker and decided to start contributing.

Was the issue:
the tires?
the engine?
the battery?
the starter?
oil?
fuel related?

Is weather relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the welcome. I am a long time lurker and decided to start contributing.

Was the issue:
the tires? This for the actual call. No to all for the call I didn't have to make.
the engine?
the battery?
the starter?
oil?
fuel related?

Is weather relevant? No
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 5053
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you had a puncture? Did you try changing the wheel yourself? Did you have a spare? Were the wheelnuts too tight (this is a very common problem these days)?

And welcome Kaw I lurked about this forum for a few months before plucking up the courage.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you had a puncture? Yes Did you try changing the wheel yourself? No Did you have a spare? For the sake of this puzzle, assume Yes. Were the wheelnuts too tight (this is a very common problem these days)? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: The second problem was not a mechanical issue.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5082
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you lose/break the ingnition key?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you lose/break the ingnition key? No, but OTRT
Kaw5486 (Kaw5486)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you lock yourself out of the car while checking the tire?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 395
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you lock yourself out of the car Yes while checking the tire? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5111
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the key faulty in any way? Was it a fob key or a more old fashioned 'insert and turn' type?

Did you leave the key in the ignition?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the key faulty in any way? No Was it a fob key or a more old fashioned 'insert and turn' type? The latter

Did you leave the key in the ignition? Yes but irrel

RECAP:

A few days after getting a flat tire and needing to call AAA, I locked my keys in my car. If it weren't for the first call, I would've needed to call AAA to unlock my car.

HINT: The car has manual locks.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5117
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So am i right in saying that something the AAA guy did when fixing your tyre enabled you to get into your car without the key? or did you have a spare key? and you wouldn't have had it on you only for the first call out?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So am i right in saying that something the AAA guy did when fixing your tyre enabled you to get into your car without the key? Yes or did you have a spare key? No and you wouldn't have had it on you only for the first call out?
Irishelk (Irishelk)
Username: Irishelk

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the AAA repair person do anything involving your locks? Did they make a permanent change to your car? If so, intentionally? Did they leave you a tool?

Did you resolve the keys dilemma by yourself? Was it resolved by: reaching into the car somehow? Unlocking the car with the coat-hanger-under-the-window trick? Getting in through the trunk? Breaking part of the car?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, January 02, 2014 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the AAA repair person do anything involving your locks? Technically yes Did they make a permanent change to your car? No If so, intentionally? Did they leave you a tool? No

Did you resolve the keys dilemma by yourself? Yes Was it resolved by: reaching into the car somehow? Unlocking the car with the coat-hanger-under-the-window trick? Getting in through the trunk? This Breaking part of the car?
Irishelk (Irishelk)
Username: Irishelk

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he teach you to do something? Was there any damage to your car at any point?

Did he leave the trunk partly open? Did he do the relevant thing when getting a spare tire out of the trunk? Or putting a tire back in? Anything involving the safety lock on the inside of the trunk?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he teach you to do something? Was there any damage to your car at any point? No to both

Did he leave the trunk partly open? No but close Did he do the relevant thing when getting a spare tire out of the trunk? This Or putting a tire back in? Anything involving the safety lock on the inside of the trunk? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 418
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're close enough to the solution that I might as well spoil.

****SPOILER****

I usually keep all the doors in my car locked, including the trunk. When I got a flat tire one day, the AAA repairman unlocked the trunk in order to get the spare out, and I never relocked it. So when I locked my keys in the car a few days later, I was able to retrieve them by climbing in through the trunk.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: