[Solo1] Revolutionary memories Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2013 » [Solo1] Revolutionary memories « Previous Next »

Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was not the message they meant to convey!
- who are "they?"
- and what were the messages - the one they meant to convey, and the one they didn't?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have e-mailed you a guess. I'm not tremendously confident, though
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have e-mailed you a guess. I'm not tremendously confident, though. That's right, Wiz, you're wrong.
To put you on the Right Track: The message is in English.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint: It would be helpful to discover the time period, if anybody is interested. If not, I will $poyle rather than take up space.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think people would be more inclined to jump on board once we've established some parameters, so I'll try to brute force a smaller boundary fence.

Do 'they' operate as a single entity? Are they a group united by some facet? Are they a family? A corporation? A company? A sports team? A political faction? A not-for-profit organisation? Are they advertisers? Do 'they' have a particular agenda? Is it social? Political? Are they motivated by profit? Are they humans? Adults? Did they operate in the 21st century? the 20th? Are they powerful and/or influential? Are they religious in nature? Are they controversial? Would the average, right-thinking person baulk, or at least be somewhat guarded, if someone approached them on the street and admitted to being part of this 'they'? Would a member of this 'they' even freely admit to their membership?

Did they try to convey this message to as many people as possible? Did they deliberately write something? Say something? Did they use several media to convey this message? Was there a visual or kinaesthetic component to the delivery of this message? Is propaganda involved?

Were the messages misinterpreted? Was this as a result of other information possessed by the intended audience? Had they used English correctly? Was it ambiguous? Did their actions speak louder than their words? Is hypocrisy involved? Did they undermine their own credibility somehow? Did anyone receive the message as they had hoped to convey it? Would people in different anglophonic countries be more or less likely as a whole to receive the intended message than those elsewhere in the anglosphere?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, November 29, 2013 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not using a computer where I can cut and paste, so will try to cover your questions this way.

Do they operate as a single entity? Are they a group united by some facet? Yes to both.
Are they a family? Yes, or soon to be one. A not-for-profit organisaiton? Usually considered so, tho maybe organization not quite the right word. Do they have a particular agenda? Noish. Are they human? Yes! Adults? Yes 20th century? Yes, explore. Are they powerful/influential? No Are they religious in nature? Religion may be involved, but not primarily. Are they controversial? No. They would not mind being identified as part of this group.

As an average person, I would not have expected someone to come up to me on the street and speak of this, but an acquaintance or co-worker might. There would be a limited number of people whom they would wish to contact. They deliberately wrote something to convey the intended message, and used only one media. There was a visual component, both for the intended message and the unintended one.

Were the messages misinterpreted? The intended one, No. The unintended one, Yopish. Was this as a result of other information possessed by the intended audience? Yope, but not necessarily.
Had they used English correctly? Was it ambiguous? They used English correctly, and not ambiguously, but the two messages in juxtaposition would have an ambiguous meaning. Is hypocrisy involved? No - perhaps more the opposite! Did they undermine their own credibility? Perhaps the unintended message would tend to undermine the intended one. Did anyone receive the message as they had hoped to convey it? Yes, everyone did, and it is possible that some did not even notice the second, unintended message. And only people in the US could have perceived the unintended message, so that saves you using the LTPF list of countries.

All questions not answered are No or n.r. Hope this helps!
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint: Try to determine when this occurred, also the means of conveying the messages.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If they had used other media, would they still have conveyed unintended message?
Was the relevant media Internet? press? TV? Radio? Letters?
Was the message an advertisement?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If they had used other media, would they still have conveyed unintended message? No, they would not.
Was the relevant media Internet? press? TV? Radio? Letters? This, no to the rest.
Was the message an advertisement? No, neither message was.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the unintended message conveyed by the content of the letters? By exterior of the letters (like envelope, stamp, address etc.)?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the unintended message conveyed by the content of the letters? No, the intended one was, and 'letters' is close but not quite correct. By exterior of the letters (like envelope, stamp, this address etc)?

************SPOILER************
In 1979, Leonard and Lynda were getting married. As this was a very special occasion, they wanted to put a special, commemorative stamp on the invitations. Unfortunately, they got the John Paul Jones stamp (hence the puzzle title), which featured his portrait and motto: "I have not yet begun to fight!"

Thx to the Wiz, and especially to Redwine, who lifted this out of the doldrums.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: