[Jondahr] No Change Makes all the Dif... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2013 » [Jondahr] No Change Makes all the Difference « Previous Next »

Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A man has been annoying his wife for years. Then he leaves and stays away from home for one night. After his return he continues to be just as annoying as ever, but his wife is a lot happier about it.
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops, the title didn't come through. Could a moderator please insert "No change makes all the difference" after my name?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't look now, but somebody's stolen your puzzle title

Was the man annoying his wife with a personal habit? Does this habit change at all upon his return?

Does the wife do something relevant during his day of absence that helps her deal with the annoyance better? Does she find the man's behaviour any less annoying after he leaves and returns? Does she now know something that makes facing the annoying behaviour easier to cope with?

Is it relevant where the man stays away for one night? Is it prison? The home of his mistress? On the streets? A medical facility? Does he leave due to a souring in their relationship?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the man annoying his wife with a personal habit? yesish, "habit" might not be quite the right word Does this habit change at all upon his return? not at all

Does the wife do something relevant during his day of absence that helps her deal with the annoyance better? no Does she find the man's behaviour any less annoying after he leaves and returns? noish Does she now know something that makes facing the annoying behaviour easier to cope with? yesish

Is it relevant where the man stays away for one night? very Is it prison? The home of his mistress? On the streets? A medical facility? but none of these Does he leave due to a souring in their relationship? no
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 5042
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've returned your puzzle statement and hereby resolve to mend my thieving ways

Has the lady had a bit of luck ? won some money? Has she seen someone a lot worse off than herself and realised she doesn't have a lot to worry about?

Is the habit snoring? Leaving the toilet seat up?

Does he stay in a hotel? Is his reason for going linked to his bad habit? Is he trying to rid himself of it?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm glad to see that justice won in the end, and I hope this will remain a warning to title thieves everywhere!

Has the lady had a bit of luck ? yope won some money? no, but... Has she seen someone a lot worse off than herself and realised she doesn't have a lot to worry about? no

Is the habit snoring? yes! Leaving the toilet seat up?

Does he stay in a hotel? yes Is his reason for going linked to his bad habit? yes! Is he trying to rid himself of it? no
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the man's wife discover that his snoring actually helps her fall asleep? Is beneficial to her in other field of life?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5044
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So has he spent a night in the hotel just to give his long suffering wife a night's peace? Does the new found quiet in her bedroom result in something positive happening? Does she hear something she wouldn't have normally been able to hear? Does she find something that she had lost? Remember something? Does she have a relevant dream?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the man's wife discover that his snoring actually helps her fall asleep? Is beneficial to her in other field of life? no and no

So has he spent a night in the hotel just to give his long suffering wife a night's peace? no, that's not the reason Does the new found quiet in her bedroom result in something positive happening? no, OTWT Does she hear something she wouldn't have normally been able to hear? Does she find something that she had lost? Remember something? Does she have a relevant dream? no to all of these - good suggestions, though
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the night an ordinary night, 8 hours long?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the night an ordinary night, 8 hours long?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the night an ordinary night, 8 hours long? not sure I understand the question. He is not on the moon or anything. Assume yes.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his wife encounter something unpleasant during that night, what would not have happened if he was there, snoring?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5049
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can we call the couple Tom and Tina?

Just to clarify , Tom goes to the hotel because of his snoring but not to cure it and not to give Tina a chance to have a peaceful night's sleep. Is that correct?

Does Tom intend to sleep in the Hotel? Is it likely that he'll snore there? Is he being observed or studied while at the hotel? Would Tina have had this change of heart about his snoring had Tom stayed in a friends house?

Are either Tina's or Tom's occupations relevant?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did his wife encounter something unpleasant during that night, what would not have happened if he was there, snoring? no

Can we call the couple Tom and Tina? sure

Just to clarify , Tom goes to the hotel because of his snoring but not to cure it and not to give Tina a chance to have a peaceful night's sleep. Is that correct? indeed

Does Tom intend to sleep in the Hotel? yes Is it likely that he'll snore there? yes Is he being observed or studied while at the hotel? yesish Would Tina have had this change of heart about his snoring had Tom stayed in a friends house? no

Are either Tina's or Tom's occupations relevant? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Tom take part in a research program about snoring? Is Tom paid for sleeping in the hotel? If yes, is Tina happier because Tom's snoring gives them money?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5051
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like Redwine's line of thinking above.

Is Tom wired up to some recording equipment while he sleeps in the hotel? Is he wearing some sort of anti-snoring device?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Tom take part in a research program about snoring? not exactly, but OTRT Is Tom paid for sleeping in the hotel? yope If yes, is Tina happier because Tom's snoring gives them money? yes

I like Redwine's line of thinking above. so do I

Is Tom wired up to some recording equipment while he sleeps in the hotel? yes! Is he wearing some sort of anti-snoring device? but no

you are very close - you only need to figure out what exactly is going on at this hotel that causes Tom to be hooked up to recording equipment.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5052
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it some kind of 'Snorers of the world unite and be proud' conference? Is Tom trying to set a record for the loudest snore? Is he trying to win a prize?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love that, Peter! 'Snorers of the world,' indeed.
Jondahr, I was thinking he might be above the Arctic Circle, in the wintertime, perhaps in an Ice Hotel? Maybe I'd better hold that for a future puzzle of my own!
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it some kind of 'Snorers of the world unite and be proud' conference? Haha, love the idea to bits!! But no. Is Tom trying to set a record for the loudest snore? very much OTRT!! Is he trying to win a prize? yes!

Jondahr, I was thinking he might be above the Arctic Circle, in the wintertime, perhaps in an Ice Hotel? Maybe I'd better hold that for a future puzzle of my own! Ah, I see. That is a great idea, but sadly not right for this puzzle. Hold on to it, though!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5058
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the recording equipment measuring the decibel reading of his snoring? The duration? Is the idea to prove that his snore is louder than something else ?

How about this? He has entered a radio station's competition to find a snorer who's louder than a lawnmower or a kango hammer or something equally noisy?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there only sound recorded, or vision too? Does he participate in talent show of sorts?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the recording equipment measuring the decibel reading of his snoring? yes The duration? no Is the idea to prove that his snore is louder than something else ? yesish  How about this? He has entered a radio station's competition to find a snorer who's louder than a lawnmower or a kango hammer or something equally noisy? this, however, is totally OTWT

Is there only sound recorded, or vision too? only sound is relevant Does he participate in talent show of sorts?no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5066
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the hotel itself relevant? are they testing the soundproofing of the bedrooms? So they are establishing how loud something needs to be before the people in the next bedroom can hear it?
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

s the hotel itself relevant? yes are they testing the soundproofing of the bedrooms? yes!! So they are establishing how something needs to be before the people in the next bedroom can hear it? more than close enough!

*****SPOILER*****

Tom voulenteered to participate in a "loudest snorer"-competition, put on by a hotel as a publicity stunt to prove how good their new soundproof rooms were. They measured how loud each participant snored, and the winner was awarded a huge sum of money.

This is a true story, a hotel really did put on this competition. I have no way of knowing whether the winner really had been annoying his wife for years, but I think it's a plausible guess.

Thanks for playing, and congrats to Peter for nailing it.

Please take a look at my other two running puzzles, they are kind of stuck at the moment.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5069
Posted on Friday, November 29, 2013 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was a really enjoyable one. Nice work Jondahr.
Jondahr (Jondahr)

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Peter. I sort of fell in love with the idea of it and thought it would make a good puzzle. Still really like the idea of 'Snorers of the world unite and be proud', too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: