[WiZ] Nana Mouskouri is not a band Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2013 » [WiZ] Nana Mouskouri is not a band « Previous Next »

Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A key phrase from a band's most successful single in the western hemisphere describes the music video for the band's most successful single in the eastern hemisphere. What am I referring to?
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a band that originally belongs in the western hemisphere? Or the eastern?

Are the songs from present time? Or the 2000s? 90s? 80s? 70s? 60s? 50s? Earlier?

Is the band's name a single word? Or two? Three? Four? Or more?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 5062
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wiz

I'll try and avoid any 20 question style 'which band is it' questions.

Firstly I'm unsure of where the dividing line between the Eastern & Western Hemispheres is but I'll soldier on.

Did the Eastern successful song come before the western one? Was the phrase a deliberate nod to the video ? or the other way round?

Was either song controversial? politically themed? censorship relevant? Was the reference in either song or video intentional? self-deprecating ?

Is the time gap between each song relevant? Had the band gone through a significant style change in the intervening period?

Is there a specific reason that their most successful song in each hemisphere is different? I'd imagine that's not all that common.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5063
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear the first line of my post might look like a dig at Jondahr's questions but I was typing mine as he was posting his.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jondahr:

Is this a band that originally belongs in the western hemisphere? yes Or the eastern? no

Are the songs from present time? if you mean the 2010s, then yes Or the 2000s? 90s? 80s? the band was active during all these decades 70s? 60s? 50s? Earlier? no to all

Is the band's name a single word? yesish Or two? Three? also yesish Four? Or more? no to rest

Peter365:

Hi Wiz

I'll try and avoid any 20 question style 'which band is it' questions. Very sporting of you.

Firstly I'm unsure of where the dividing line between the Eastern & Western Hemispheres is but I'll soldier on. I was going by the definition Lynne set in her 'what do Redwine and I have in common?' puzzle - the Greenwich meridian. Alternatively, consider that the single with the music video was by far their biggest hit in Asia, and also quite successful in Oceania.

Did the Eastern successful song come before the western one? no Was the phrase a deliberate nod to the video ? no or the other way round? It's probably coincidence

Was either song controversial? yes politically themed? no censorship relevant? one of the songs was banned in one country due to its music video Was the reference in either song or video intentional? not sure what you mean by 'reference'. As above, the relation between the phrase and the music video is probably a coincidence self-deprecating ? the phrase from the successful western single was part of a self-deprecating theme

Is the time gap between each song relevant? no Had the band gone through a significant style change in the intervening period? Fans certainly think so

Is there a specific reason that their most successful song in each hemisphere is different? I would hypothesise that A) It took longer for their success to build in Asia and the latter single was at the height of their popularity in the eastern hemisphere and B) The band's stylistic change would have been more well-received in the Asian countries it sold well in. I am no industry expert, though I'd imagine that's not all that common. I'd imagine that you're right
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification:

Upon re-reading Jondahr's second line of questions, I think I misinterpreted them. The first song was recorded and released in the 1990s. The second was recorded and released in the 2000s.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5072
Posted on Friday, November 29, 2013 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to plump for a three letter band name given your answers to Jondahr. And rather unsurprisingly I'm going to go for my favourite band of all time REM? Is one of the songs Losing My Religion?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to plump for a three letter band name given your answers to Jondahr. And rather unsurprisingly I'm going to go for my favourite band of all time REM? Correct! I also count REM among my favourite bands Is one of the songs Losing My Religion? YES - the most successful single in the western hemisphere
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5074
Posted on Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh what joy.

Is the eastern song 'Imitation of Life'?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh what joy.

Is the eastern song 'Imitation of Life'? It is.

So what phrase in the lyrics of 'Losing My Religion' describes the music video for 'Imitation of Life'?
Jondahr (Jondahr)
Username: Jondahr

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah! I was going to ask those very same questions. Very good!

So, just a wild guess without having seen the video: "me in the spot light"?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5076
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darn I can only vaguely remember the video. It's take place at a swimming pool but I can't recall any of the specifics. I'm determined not to u-tube it .

Does anyone appear in a corner? Is there a dream sequence?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2013 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jondahr:

Ah! I was going to ask those very same questions. Very good! Great lateral minds think alike

So, just a wild guess without having seen the video: "me in the spot light"? No, but VERY close.

Peter365:

Darn I can only vaguely remember the video. It's take place at a swimming pool but I can't recall any of the specifics. I'm determined not to u-tube it . I would strongly encourage you to do so once the puzzle is solved. It consists of 20 seconds of footage continually looped, rewinded, and zoomed in and out to tell the story of about a dozen people or groups at the same party. This is often done while the characters lip-synch relevant segments from the lyrics. It's an absolute masterpiece of timing and blocking.

Does anyone appear in a corner? yes! And in conjunction with Jondahr's answer above, I think it's time for the

***** SPOILER *****

In REM's 'Losing My Religion', Michael Stipe sings 'That's me in the corner'. In the music video for REM's 'Imitation of Life', that's exactly where you'll find him.

Linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vqgdSsfqPs

Well done Peter and Jondahr. This was a bit of a silly puzzle, but I found the coincidence amusing. It's nice to know there are other REM fans out there.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5078
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice work Wiz, I've checked out the video (are they still called that)and it is pretty cool. There have been a number of REM themed puzzles over the years and I've been guilty of this indulgence.

Check out my 'Really Easy Money' puzzle from March 2007 and 'Too Soon' from Jan 2012. I think I got Balin hooked on REM too and he ran a few puzzles about them as well.

I was checking my iPod this morning and I now have over 400 REM songs there. Lots of live stuff and different versions of old classics.

I'm very proud I identified both songs on the first shot.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes you did. I think I ran four.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I enjoy any excuse to trawl the archives. I instantly recognised the reference in 'Really Easy Money', but would have been stuck for a while on 'Too Soon'.

You did very well in identifying both songs straight off the bat. You made it look like you don't try-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: