[Admin] How do we upgrade the Forum? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2014 » [Admin] How do we upgrade the Forum? « Previous Next »

Admin (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now here is a puzzle. We have a bulletin board built on an obsolete platform (Discus 4.0) which is no longer supported. What should we do?

We could possibly move to phpBB

https://www.phpbb.com/

Or Simple Machines Forum

http://www.simplemachines.org/

Or vBulletin (though that costs money)

http://www.vbulletin.com/en/

Do you have experience of any of these environments and would you be prepared to help with the migration?

Please let me know

Paul Sloane
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would all open threads be migrated? That way if there are any puzzles in progress at the time of migration they can be resumed.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 670
Posted on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding migrating the forum:
Nobody wants another forum crash.
The forum must exist at a supported discussion board.
Ideally, the archives and user-stats [including post counts] can migrate to a supported board.

I work in website development, management, and maintenance, but donít do the sort of server-side SQL database stuff that is likely the backbone of this old-school forum. I have web-jockey colleagues I can sound out about this, though.

Surely, someone has access to the server, and can pull all the archives off it and stash them safely on some drive, somewhere, to enable uploading them to a supported forum.
This might even call for a new URL; donít know how the original forum was set up. A new URL would call for a new hosting arrangement, and of course, that costs money.
But then, running the forum already costs money, and whoís footing the bill? You, Mr. Admin?
Perhaps you could give the users an opportunity to donate, via a PayPal link, or an annual appeal like Wikipediaís Jimmy Wales employs?
Of course, that would entail accounting needs. What if the forum were set up as a [as known in the States] non-profit? That would still entail accounting, but at least you wouldnít have to answer to the revenue authorities about all the donations you received, and their eventual disbursement.
Iíll have more to say, but that should do for now.
Of course, you can rely on my continued support.
But I can't post to a puzzle without asking a question, so here it is:
How's the weather where you are?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 5085
Posted on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not a techie so I wouldn't be of any help. I would however be agreeable to contributing something to the cost of migrating the forum. As someone who's enjoyed 7 years of free entertainment on this forum I feel it's the least I could do.

Now my question : Albatrosses relevant?
Irishelk (Irishelk)
Username: Irishelk

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ditto to Peter--I can't offer much in the way of tech advice, but I'd be happy to chip in some money for a little upgrade.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a profile picture of more than 10 KB?

Thank you Admin.
Admin (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the offers. I would appreciate some help from someone with experience of one of these new boards.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: