[WiZ] Unspeakable damage Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2013 » [WiZ] Unspeakable damage « Previous Next »

Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A certain type of natural disaster typically has a particular negative environmental impact. One example of this natural disaster ended up having a highly positive environmental impact in this very regard. Why?

I suspect this will go quickly, so I will leave it to early spoliers to follow their conscience as to how to proceed
Kaw5486 (Kaw5486)
Username: Kaw5486

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the natural disaster any of the following:
Tornado?
Flood?
Hurricane?
Earthquake?
Volcano?
Tsunami?
Drought?
Forest Fire?
Blizzard?
Hailstorm?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the natural disaster any of the following:
Tornado?
Flood?
Hurricane?
Earthquake?
Volcano? This
Tsunami?
Drought?
Forest Fire?
Blizzard?
Hailstorm?
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Iceland relevant? Hawaii?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Iceland relevant? yes Hawaii? no
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That one volcano that erupted...what was it, a couple years ago, and its clouds covered most of, if not all of, Europe? I can't pronounce it and don't expect me to remember how to spell it, LOL, but I hope you know the one I mean....
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That one volcano that erupted...what was it, a couple years ago, and its clouds covered most of, if not all of, Europe? I can't pronounce it and don't expect me to remember how to spell it, LOL, but I hope you know the one I mean.... Honestly, how hard is it to write Eyjafjallajökull? Yes, this is the one the puzzle's about.
Psydkik (Psydkik)
Username: Psydkik

Post Number: 636
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do erupting volcanos add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 5091
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm pretty sure I know this so I'll follow my conscience and mail you.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psydkik:

Do erupting volcanos add carbon dioxide to the atmosphere? Yes!

Peter365:

I'm pretty sure I know this so I'll follow my conscience and mail you. Odd. Should have appeared in my inbox by now. You sent it to the one marked 'actual e-mail address', didn't you?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5682
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the fact that aircraft flights were cancelled mean that for a day or two the atmosphere was a lot cleaner?

Some people in the flight path said that due to not hearing the aircraft, they could now hear the cars on the nearby motorway....
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the fact that aircraft flights were cancelled mean that for a day or two the atmosphere was a lot cleaner? yes! That piece of information combined with Psydkik's mean it's time for the

***** SPOILER *****

When Eyjafjallajökull erupted in 2010, the volcano released approximately 0.15 million tonnes of CO2 each day, but the massive reduction of air travel occurring over European skies caused by the ash cloud, saved an estimated 1.3 to 2.8 million tonnes of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere by 19 April 2010.

Blimey, that went quick. I will have to contrive something a little more... contrived.

Some people in the flight path said that due to not hearing the aircraft, they could now hear the cars on the nearby motorway.... Indeed:

Residents of West London under the Heathrow Airport flight path have described the peace as 'bliss'. John Stewart of the Heathrow Association for the Control of Aircraft Noise said they had been inundated with emails and phone calls and said "The message is that this is what life should be like. The peace and quiet is absolutely wonderful." Christine Shilling, of the No Third Runway Action Group, who lives in nearby Harmondsworth, said: "I've lived here more than 40 years and I've never known such peace".
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5095
Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did pick your actual e-mail but I'm sure I have an error message waiting in my mailbox as I've been out of the office for a few days.

For the record I was right in my guess .
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5099
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear I actually sent it to your beer full of fridge e-mail address. What on earth was I thinking because I saw your actual e-mail address below.

Not my finest hour.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah. I would go and have a look in the fridge, but heaven knows what I'll find in a hotmail account that's been dormant for a decade.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: