[WiZ] One-Question Wonder Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2013 » [WiZ] One-Question Wonder « Previous Next »

Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is quite easy, so early spoliers, please e-mail.

A man walks into a shop he visits regularly. He places twenty dollars on the counter and is handed a newspaper. He returns home and puts the newspaper in the rubbish without reading it. Why?

To avoid awkward currency conversion, assume he paid about 10-15 times the price of a daily newspaper.
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2863
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the man know the value of the newspaper? Did he know that 20 dollars was far too much for it?

Did the shopkeeper hand him the newspaper? Did the shopkeeper take the 20 dollars?

Is this the only time the man does this?

Did the man want to get rid of 20 dollars? Did he at any point think he would read the newspaper? Is there anything else he could have been given that would serve the same purpose as the newspaper? Is that particular newspaper particularly valuable for some reason? Did the man buy the newspaper for 20 dollars, or is the putting down the money not in direct trade for the paper?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the man know the value of the newspaper? approximately Did he know that 20 dollars was far too much for it? yes

Did the shopkeeper hand him the newspaper? yes Did the shopkeeper take the 20 dollars? yes

Is this the only time the man does this? no

Did the man want to get rid of 20 dollars? no Did he at any point think he would read the newspaper? no Is there anything else he could have been given that would serve the same purpose as the newspaper? yes Is that particular newspaper particularly valuable for some reason? no Did the man buy the newspaper for 20 dollars no, or is the putting down the money not in direct trade for the paper? correct
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2865
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the man get given anything else in addition to the newspaper? Does he get any change? Does the shopkeeper understand why he is doing this?

Could he have been given any cheap item that the shop happened to sell?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the man get given anything else in addition to the newspaper? yes Does he get any change? no, or a small amount Does the shopkeeper understand why he is doing this? yes

Could he have been given any cheap item that the shop happened to sell? no
Logician (Logician)
Username: Logician

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything illegal happening here? Is the shop being used as a front for another, less legitimate, business? Money laundering? Smuggling? Selling drugs?

Is the newspaper being used to hide/conceal something which the man actually wants? And the man is buying this other thing with the 20 dollars?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Master Mason, we meet again.

Is anything illegal happening here? no Is the shop being used as a front for another, less legitimate, business? no Money laundering? Smuggling? Selling drugs? n/a to rest

Is the newspaper being used to hide/conceal something which the man actually wants? yes, with a soupcon of ish And the man is buying this other thing with the 20 dollars? yes, well done
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 2868
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the other thing food? Drink? Embarrassing? Alive? A surprise for someone? Does he use the newspaper to carry it in? To protect it?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the other thing food? yes Drink? Embarrassing? Alive? no to rest A surprise for someone? no Does he use the newspaper to carry it in? yes To protect it? somewhat
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 5113
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I won't spoil this but in Ireland they don't do this newspaper wrapping anymore and the product is considerably worse for it in my opinion.
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5703
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, I got to thinking it was a complete newspaper as opposed to a few pages...
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I saw this situation in a movie some time ago...
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we're probably close enough to the solution that we can stop dancing around it.

I'm intrigued by the film that this scenario showed up in - there's one in A Fish Called Wanda that involves placing some of this foodstuff up the nose as a forfeit, but other than that, I'm stumped.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they wrap a food thing in newspaper instead of regular paper since they ran out?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they wrap a food thing in newspaper instead of regular paper since they ran out? No, wrapping this foodstuff in newspaper was the regular practice
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 5715
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fish and chips? Ours are neatly presented on a polystyrene tray and wrapped in clean white paper. No newsprint on your fingers....

There was a film called Yanks in the late 1970s, set in WWII with American troops based in a Yorkshire town. Everybody was patiently waiting for their fish and chips at the local chippy when a young lad comes in with a huge order from the Americans who were confined to barracks (and paid him handsomely for doing this). Everybody groaned.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fish and chips? Yes, indeed!

***** SPOILER *****

The man is picking up his family's order of fish and chips.

Ours are neatly presented on a polystyrene tray and wrapped in clean white paper. No newsprint on your fingers.... I think, as in Ireland, we stopped the practice of wrapping it in newspapers, and now use grey newsprint. We don't bother with neat presentation or polystyrene trays, though. Heck, most of the time we don't bother using plates. We just unfold the newspaper and dig in in an egalitarian feeding frenzy.

There was a film called Yanks in the late 1970s, set in WWII with American troops based in a Yorkshire town. Everybody was patiently waiting for their fish and chips at the local chippy when a young lad comes in with a huge order from the Americans who were confined to barracks (and paid him handsomely for doing this). Everybody groaned. Fish and chip shops are the place to go if you want to see patient queuing in action. Banks, Post offices, AA branches? Hostile environments, all three. But people will wait most unreasonable times for their Friday fix, happily chatting to their new-found friends in front of or behind them about anything and everything.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 5116
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice work Wiz and I agree about the queuing.

For reasons I've never be sure of most chippers in Ireland are owned by people of Italian descent (I doubt Fish & Chips or Snack Boxes are popular in Italy). Once a year ITICA (Irish Traditional Italian Chippers Association) has a chipper day when you can buy a fish supper at half price.

The queues on that day have to be seen to be believed. I counted 90 plus people in my local chippie at one stage.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cor Blimey. It's a good thing these establishments are stocked full of loaves and fishes...

In urban New Zealand, F&C shops are most likely to be owned and operated by Chinese New Zealanders. In fact, most of these places in Wellington are now hybrid Chinese Takeaways/Fish'n'Chip shops.

In rural New Zealand, they're more likely to be owned by Maori. Unrelated observation: they're also more likely to sell you marijuana under the counter at competitive rates.

The F&C Shop in the town I grew up in is now branded the 'Thunder Takeaways', complete with giant graf-art pictures of Tupac Shakur, Bob Marley and Eddy Grant.

They've been doing a roaring trade for a decade, I'm told.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: