[Nimue] Hide it? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2014 » [Nimue] Hide it? « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 9879
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When Cedric saw a preel in Callipoe's office, he said, "I'm not surprised you have a preel, but I'm surprised that you don't hide it." Calliope replied, "Actually, I have three preels. Why should I hide them?" So what's a preel? (Political or religious disagreements are not involved.)
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a preel a piece of paper (with something specific written on it)? a book of some kind? an electronic device? an organizational aid? some type of toy?

Is it relevant that this puzzle takes place in an office? would one be more likely to see a preel in an office as opposed to, let's say, the living room of a house? or is there more of a reason to *hide* a preel when it's in an office?

Is the point of hiding the preel to not admit that you need one (and therefore to seem more competent/capable)? to not show that you use the office for non-work-related things? to not admit that you have a certain hobby/interest that others might find stupid or childish?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9880
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 68

Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 5:45 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is a preel a piece of paper (with something specific written on it)? no a book of some kind? yes an electronic device? noan organizational aid? nosome type of toy? no

Is it relevant that this puzzle takes place in an office? yesish would one be more likely to see a preel in an office as opposed to, let's say, the living room of a house? possiblyor is there more of a reason to *hide* a preel when it's in an office? no

Is the point of hiding the preel to not admit that you need one (and therefore to seem more competent/capable)? yes to not show that you use the office for non-work-related things? noto not admit that you have a certain hobby/interest that others might find stupid or childish? no
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a dictionary? A self-help book?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does a preel provide assistance with knowing the meaning of words? using correct writing style? spelling? following business conventions (other than the above)? using software?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9882
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 522

Posted on Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 10:46 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it a dictionary? yesish A self-help book? no
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 70

Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 5:17 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does a preel provide assistance with knowing the meaning of words? no using correct writing style? noish or yope spelling? no following business conventions (other than the above)? nousing software? no
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a book of synonyms? a rhyme dictionary?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9883
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 527

Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 5:53 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it a book of synonyms? no a rhyme dictionary? yes

********* SPOLIER **************
I was afraid this would be too easy. I'm Calliope & when someone saw a rhyming dictionary in my office, she said she was surprised I had it right out on the open, instead of hiding it, as if writing poems with the aid of a rhyming dictionary were a form of cheating. I think that's ridiculous. Don't you? Anyway, please check out my replacement puzzle, which I hope will be much harder, as well as my ongoing ones, which I know are.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice puzzle. I totally agree, it's definitely not cheating. Whenever I write poems that are supposed to rhyme, I use online rhyming dictionaries. I don't own a printed one, but if I did, I wouldn't hide it. Will check out your new puzzle right away!
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Such a volume would come in handy,
When with words I would bandy.
But I don't have one, 'cause I'm cheap
Ah well, read them and weep.
Good puzzle, and a quickie now and then lends spice to life!
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have the Internet
There's no cause at all to fret
RhymeZone's rhyming dictionary
Tells you...

...that nothing really rhymes with dictionary,
And you're screwed.

I use it when writing limericks for the OEDILF.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 810
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nimue, you made a type in the S-word, so this won't get moved to the solved puzzles section.

********SPOILER********

Now it will :-)
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 10007
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thsnks!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: