Sustained Release [Biograd] Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2014 » Sustained Release [Biograd] « Previous Next »

Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although often accompanied by a significant amount of frustration, coming across a nowilf always feels lucky, and I'm sure most of you have come across one many times. Encountering a fobo seems like a gift, and a double nowilf just seems to improbable to be true.

What am I talking about? Note, despite the presence of "two and a half" neologisms in the puzzle statement, this is not three separate puzzles, as all of them are closely related.

In case you're wondering, I have not encountered any of these lately--I don't know why this just popped into my head as a good thing to neologize upon.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2014 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a nowilf a tangible object? a situation?
Is a fobo a tangible object? a situation?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a nowilf a tangible object?This. There could be situations where something similar happens with a non-tangible thing, but for simplicity I will define a nowilf as necessarily tangible. a situation?
Is a fobo a tangible object? a situation?Thisish, but there are tangible elements involved.
Juiferrant (Juiferrant)
Username: Juiferrant

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the frustration in case of encountering a nowilf caused by the presence of the nowilf? Indirectly?

Are any nowilfs involved in a fobo?

Is nowilf larger than a coin? A matchbox? An apple? A basketball? A chair? A car? A house?

Do people feel lucky after encountering a nowilf because they could use it? Because they could sell it? Just because it's pretty?

Double nowilf = encountering two nowilfs in a row? Two nowilfs that are close to each other? A thing that is like a nowilf except it has twice as much of something? Is twice as <adjective>?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the frustration in case of encountering a nowilf caused by the presence of the nowilf?No Indirectly?Yes

Are any nowilfs involved in a fobo?Yes

Is nowilf larger than a coin? A matchbox? An apple? A basketball? A chair? A car? A house?Irr., though one almost never would be larger than a chair in practice.

Do people feel lucky after encountering a nowilf because they could use it? Because they could sell it? Just because it's pretty?Could be any of these. But it's more something else.

Double nowilf = encountering two nowilfs in a row?Yesish, though beware FA Two nowilfs that are close to each other?No to rest A thing that is like a nowilf except it has twice as much of something? Is twice as <adjective>?
Republicoffunny (Republicoffunny)
Username: Republicoffunny

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would someone know they had a nowilf whenever they had one or would it only be a nowilf after some time? i.e A person doesn't know they have a lost object immediately but they lose it and then find it, they then have a lost object?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 4:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would someone know they had a nowilf whenever they had one or would it only be a nowilf after some time?This i.e A person doesn't know they have a lost object immediately but they lose it and then find it, they then have a lost object?And in fact, a nowilf is a type of lost object
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is nowilf an object you're searching for? An object you don't know where is? An object you thought was irretrievably lost?
Same questions for a fobo.
Is a double nowilf a nowilf you find while searching for another nowilf?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is nowilf an object you're searching for?No, and that's important. An object you don't know where is?Yesish An object you thought was irretrievably lost?<maybe,>
Same questions for a fobo.There's a FA here that prevents me from answering those questions
Is a double nowilf a nowilf you find while searching for another nowilf?No but rather close.

Should go rather quickly now...
Juiferrant (Juiferrant)
Username: Juiferrant

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a nowilf "not what I'm looking for"? I.e. a lost object you find while searching for another object?

Is a double nowilf when you find a nowilf and then find what you were actually looking for? Or encountering two nowilfs while in the search of the same object?

Is fobo a situation when you find both what you were looking for and a nowilf? Is it something like "finding both objects"?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a nowilf "not what I'm looking for"? I.e. a lost object you find while searching for another object?Yes, and you got the acronym right too!

Is a double nowilf when you find a nowilf and then find what you were actually looking for?No, this is a "fobo" (see below) Or encountering two nowilfs while in the search of the same object?And no

Is fobo a situation when you find both what you were looking for and a nowilf? Is it something like "finding both objects"?Yes, right again!

It's pretty much solved now, if someone wants to still pursue the remaining small puzzle of working out what I had in mind for the "double nowilf" you can, otherwise we can end this here...
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a double nowilf an object that has been a nowilf during a previous search? Or is it an object that you did look for before, but didn't find? Or an object you didn't know what lost? Or an object you thought was lost somewhere else? Or destroyed?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a double nowilf an object that has been a nowilf during a previous search?No but close Or is it an object that you did look for before, but didn't find?Yes, that is basically it> Or an object you didn't know what lost?No Or an object you thought was lost somewhere else? Or destroyed?No

I will end this here since you basically have it.

-A nowilf (which is an acronym for "NOt What I'm Looking For") is a lost object you find while searching for another lost object.
-A fobo (an acronym for "FOund Both Objects") is a situation where you find both the object you were looking for, and another lost object that you were NOT looking for (and that therefore is a nowilf).
-A double nowilf is when you find a nowilf when looking for one object, and then later that object you were looking for the first time turns up as a nowilf in a search for yet something else.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh,
**********SPOILER****************
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 469
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, there ought to be a word for happenings as frequent as this. This is a lofewa (a long-felt want.)
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, for those who were wondering about the title, I have thought many times that a sustained-release pill should be called a "time capsule", which is what things become if they haven't been found for a long time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: