[Konnie] Way to go Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2014 » [Konnie] Way to go « Previous Next »

Konnie (Konnie)
Username: Konnie

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if anyone here has ever heard of the game Crack the Case? It was one of my all-time favorite games growing up, but my family always despised it. It essentially provided about a hundred situation cards that other players had to figure out laterally, with a focus on crimes. Anyways, I recently found it in our attic, so I think I will post a few. Here's one of my favorites. Enjoy!

A woman lies murdered in a room. There are windows, but no light in the room. What happened?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think I know this one, but it may just be the phrasing of the puzzle question.

Is the room part of a house? Is it part of a permanent structure? Is it part of a vehicle of some sort?

Is there anything relevant in the room besides the woman and the windows? Did this play a role in her death? Is there any water in the room?

Are the windows open? Closed? Broken? Painted on? Mere holes in the wall?

Was there ever a light in the room? If so, electric? Are candles, lanterns or flames relevant to the solution? Was the former light source, if there was one, instrumental in her death?

Was she killed by an impact? A slashing, cleaving or piercing weapon? By drowning? Poisoning? Suffocation? Stangulation? Fire? Electricity? Hypothermia?
Konnie (Konnie)

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the room part of a house? Is it part of a permanent structure? Is it part of a vehicle of some sort? This

Is there anything relevant in the room besides the woman and the windows? More important what's not there. Did this play a role in her death? No Is there any water in the room? Yes

Are the windows open? Closed? Closed, no to others. Broken? Painted on? Mere holes in the wall?

Was there ever a light in the room? Yes If so, electric? Yes, although candles ight have been around too. Are candles, lanterns or flames relevant to the solution? Was the former light source, if there was one, instrumental in her death? No to these.

Was she killed by an impact? A slashing, cleaving or piercing weapon? By drowning? Poisoning? Suffocation? Stangulation? Fire? Electricity? Hypothermia? Actual cause of death is irrelevant; assume blunt force trauma.
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she attacked by somebody? in this room? did she die in this room? Does she lie on the floor? was she moved after she died?
Does the room have a door? (if so: are they locked?) walls? a ceiling?
Is the room on a ship? on a space ship?
Was the room already there when she died?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the room on an airplane? Was the plane sabotaged?
Konnie (Konnie)

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she attacked by somebody? in this room? did she die in this room? Yes to these. Does she lie on the floor? No was she moved after she died? Yes, beware of FA.
Does the room have a door? (if so: are they locked?) walls? a ceiling? Yes, but doors probably aren't locked.
Is the room on a ship? This on a space ship?
Was the room already there when she died? Yes

Is the room on an airplane? Was the plane sabotaged? No to both.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the ship underwater? Has it sunk?
Konnie (Konnie)

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the ship underwater? Has it sunk? Yes to both.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did her death, or some other action on behalf of the murderer, cause the ship to sink? Is the specific ship relevant? If so, is it the Titanic? Is it the Ark?

Or is the sinking merely incidental?

Is the absence of light relevant to the murder being able to be carried out? To the aftermath/sinking?

Is the specific room relevant? If so: Bedchamber? Ballroom? Engine room? Elevator? Other?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alternatively, is she a deep-sea diver after sunken treasure, and a jealous rival followed her to the room and beat her to death with an oxygen tank?
Konnie (Konnie)

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did her death, or some other action on behalf of the murderer, cause the ship to sink? No Is the specific ship relevant? If so, is it the Titanic? This Is it the Ark?

Or is the sinking merely incidental? It's relevant to her murder.

Is the absence of light relevant to the murder being able to be carried out? To the aftermath/sinking? No, that was just to help get to the sunken ship point.

Is the specific room relevant? If so: Bedchamber? This Ballroom? Engine room? Elevator? Other?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, this was some kind of ploy by her murderer to take her place on the lifeboats?

Or was he taking the sinking as an opportunity to make her death look accidental? Or both?
Konnie (Konnie)

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, this was some kind of ploy by her murderer to take her place on the lifeboats? Yes, just about there.

Or was he taking the sinking as an opportunity to make her death look accidental? Or both? No to these.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he take her clothes/wig/makeup, and disguise himself as her, or a woman in general, to ensure his place on a lifeboat and save his life?

Or did she possess some kind of writ that touted her as an important or wealthy person, that he stole and was able to show to the lifeboat co-ordinator (vocabulary escapes me at the moment) to get him a VIP seat in the boats?
Konnie (Konnie)

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he take her clothes/wig/makeup, and disguise himself as her, or a woman in general, to ensure his place on a lifeboat and save his life? *Sigh* Already got it, huh? :-)

Or did she possess some kind of writ that touted her as an important or wealthy person, that he stole and was able to show to the lifeboat co-ordinator (vocabulary escapes me at the moment) to get him a VIP seat in the boats?

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When the doomed Titanic started sinking, women and children were allowed to go first on the lifeboats. Well, it turn out one guy wasn't too into the 'chivalry' thing and decided to help himself. He snuck into the bedroom of a female passenger, murdered her, and stole her dress and wig to disguise himself. She went down with the ship and he went on to trip and snap his neck five minutes after getting back on land.
Good work, everyone!
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This did happen, though I don't think that there was a murder involved, and if I remember right, he was detected and wasn't allowed to board the lifeboat.
Good puzzle, if a quickie. Give us more!
Konnie (Konnie)

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I shall! I shall! I had no idea this was at all true, though I suppose it's reasonable men would have done this.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 642
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clever puzzle - reminds me of this!
Konnie (Konnie)

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hah, that was wonderful. Gotta love C&H.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 4301
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Crack The Case' is a fabulous game. I've read a few of the cards and they are quite interesting and enjoyable cases, hopefully I'll get in on your next one.
Konnie (Konnie)

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool, so glad to find someone who knows it! I'll post another one from the game, but will hopefully come up with an original puzzle soon too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: