[Doriana]'s Innocent Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2014 » [Doriana]'s Innocent Question « Previous Next »

Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 640
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why did I just ask my mum if she wanted to spend a weekend with friends of the family?

Questions on my two other puzzle are also greatly appreciated...
Paul1440 (Paul1440)
Username: Paul1440

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you planning on spending the weekend with the friends also? Were you hoping your mom said yes?
Were you planning a surprise party for your mom?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 643
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you planning on spending the weekend with the friends also? no Were you hoping your mom said yes? somewhat
Were you planning a surprise party for your mom? no
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a misunderstanding of any kind? Did you have any suspicions about your mother's plans for the weekend before you asked the question?

Is it relevant where the friends of the family live, or would be visiting during the weekend? Would she be going to them or they be coming to her?

Did you have a vested interest in your mother being out of the house, even if for a short time?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 653
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a misunderstanding of any kind? no Did you have any suspicions about your mother's plans for the weekend before you asked the question? no

Is it relevant where the friends of the family live, or would be visiting during the weekend? yes Would she be going to them or they be coming to her? she would be going to them

Did you have a vested interest in your mother being out of the house, even if for a short time? no
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would she be going to her friends' home? Do they live in the same town/city as you? Another town/city within Germany? In another country?

Would you be able to use her being in that location to your advantage, such as buying you an item that is hard to find where you live, or photographing/reading up on an important monument or other cultural phenomena, or passing on a message to another friend of yours while she's there?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would she be going to her friends' home? yes Do they live in the same town/city as you? no Another town/city within Germany? In another country? this (Switzerland, but that's largely irrel)

Would you be able to use her being in that location to your advantage, such as buying you an item that is hard to find where you live, or photographing/reading up on an important monument or other cultural phenomena, or passing on a message to another friend of yours while she's there? no to all
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that she crosses a border in order to get there?

Are you asking this question primarily in your mother's best interest? In yours? Her friends'? Someone else's? A mixture?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 661
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that she crosses a border in order to get there? no

Are you asking this question primarily in your mother's best interest? In yours? this Her friends'? Someone else's? A mixture?
Sleepingbeaver (Sleepingbeaver)
Username: Sleepingbeaver

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant by which means she would travel there? Car? Train? Plane? Other?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 667
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant by which means she would travel there? yes Car? Train? this Plane? Other?
Sleepingbeaver (Sleepingbeaver)
Username: Sleepingbeaver

Post Number: 263
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it's not that you wanted to have the car for the weekend? i think i will stay out of this now since I have unfair home advantage = }
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 668
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it's not that you wanted to have the car for the weekend? no. For the sake of the puzzle, it's easier to assume I live with my parents, but I actually I don't - no car or house issues relevant i think i will stay out of this now since I have unfair home advantage = } feel free to stay =)
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 679
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: I wanted her to go on a specific date.
Paul1440 (Paul1440)
Username: Paul1440

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Holiday relevant?
Birthday relevant?
Anniversary relevant?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 680
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Holiday relevant?
Birthday relevant?
Anniversary relevant?
no to all. Keep in mind that I asked the question primarily in my own benefit.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 702
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another HINT: I asked her the question half jokingly, half seriously.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want your mother to transport something to friends of family? Bring you something from them?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 759
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want your mother to transport something to friends of family? Bring you something from them? no to both
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 804
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP (in the hope that this will bring some new action to the puzzle)

Some weeks ago, I half-jokingly, half-seriously asked my mother if she would like to spend a weekend with friends of a family on a specific date. She would have gone to their place by train. Although I asked the question mainly in my own benefit, transporting or buying objects is not relevant.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were there relevant train discounts on that date? Do you collect train tickets and you needed a ticket from that specific date and route for your collection?
Are there any relevant train loyalty programs, in which you would get considerable benefit if your mum travelled this certain route?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 868
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were there relevant train discounts on that date? yes, but beware of FA Do you collect train tickets and you needed a ticket from that specific date and route for your collection? no
Are there any relevant train loyalty programs, in which you would get considerable benefit if your mum travelled this certain route? no

Thanks for finally asking question on this one. I was close to $poiling it.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that you wanted your mum to travel to certain location? Or would any location do, if the date remained the same?
Would you gain financially on her journey? Could you then buy cheaper tickets for yourself?
Was there any relevant action on that specific date, of which some charity organisation would profit?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 870
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that you wanted your mum to travel to certain location? yes Or would any location do, if the date remained the same? no
Would you gain financially on her journey? I wouldn't have gained money, but if she hadn't travelled, I would have lost money. Good q! Could you then buy cheaper tickets for yourself? no
Was there any relevant action on that specific date, of which some charity organisation would profit? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you buy ticket for yourself to that location and you could not go for some reason? Do you have some sort of long-term train pass that allows you to travel wherever you want?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 872
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you buy ticket for yourself to that location and you could not go for some reason? yes! Do you have some sort of long-term train pass that allows you to travel wherever you want? no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you have returned your ticket and got your money back? Could someone else than your mother have used the ticket?
Is it relevant why you could not go to Switzerland?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 873
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you have returned your ticket and got your money back? no Could someone else than your mother have used the ticket? no
Is it relevant why you could not go to Switzerland? no

I think we have enough for the

********SPOILER********

In March, I worked as a counsellor at a day camp in France. In February, I bought a super cheap non-refundable and non-exchangable train ticket to a nearby Swiss city, only to notice that I bought it for the wrong day. Unfortunately, it was a kind of ticket that you cannot just sell on ebay because it's only valid in combination with the credit card you bought it with.
My mum has friends living in that city, so I asked her if she wanted to buy my ticket and spend a weekend with them - I would have lended her my credit card as well.

Thanks for playing =)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: