{Kaylee Kitteh} But it's going to be ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2014 » {Kaylee Kitteh} But it's going to be renamed anyway! « Previous Next »

Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She was greatly relieved when she received the diagnosis. Her family had mixed reactions.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I know this one, so I'll stay out.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 5198
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there some hereditary disease relevant here? Did her good diagnosis mean one of her family would get a bad one?

Blood tests relevant? DNA?
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome back, Kaylee! We've missed you!

Is this RL?

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana: Yes, you do, more than likely. Sorries, kitteh. *hugs*

Peter: It can be hereditary, and in her case, it likely is - her father most likely has it, though he also has something else. "Disease" is not quite the right term for what we're dealing with, though. DOYD of "good" diagnosis.

Blood tests and DNA were not relevant in finding the diagnosis, though DNA may be tangentially relevant if indeed the condition is hereditary.

Soli-Kitteh: I've missed you, too! *hugz and givz cheezburgur* Yes, this is RL.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this autobiographical?
Is it a 'good' diagnosis because she and her family now know what is wrong, where they didn't before?
Is it something unexpected, because rare? (When I had an appendix, it was on the wrong side of my body. Since it was asymptomatic, I never realized this, and it was only discovered when I was being operated on for something else.) Anything similar to that?

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this autobiographical? Yes.

Is it a 'good' diagnosis because she and her family now know what is wrong, where they didn't before? Exactly!

Is it something unexpected, because rare? (When I had an appendix, it was on the wrong side of my body. Ooh, poor kitteh!! *huggles Soli*

Since it was asymptomatic, I never realized this, and it was only discovered when I was being operated on for something else.) Anything similar to that? Eep, that must have been scary. No operations or physical procedures were involved in the discovery. As for rarity...it's diagnosed at a rate of two to six per one thousand in the US, I can't speak for other countries. HINT: If I'd been born a generation later (or even just a few years later) than I was, it likely would have been spotted MUCH faster.
Paul1440 (Paul1440)
Username: Paul1440

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it some type of learning disability?

Aspergers? Dylexia? Dyscalculia? Dyspraxia/Apraxia? ADHD?
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oops typo. Dylexia is supposed to by Dyslexia.
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't type for my life. another typo. previous post is should read "... is supposed to BE..."
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

arrghhh! i keep making mistakes in my corrections. i give up

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no worries, Paul, I knew what you meant.

Is it some type of learning disability? I'm not quite sure if this counts as a 'learning disability', but see below.

Aspergers? Right first time. Dyslexia? Dyscalculia? Dyspraxia/Apraxia? ADHD?

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so we've established that "she" is in fact me, and I received an Asperger's diagnosis. Why would I be relieved by this? Why would my family not have been?
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the time of diagnosis, were you a child? or adult?

Were you relieved because you were afraid that it was something else? Or were you relieved because it meant that you were eligible for certain services?

Was your family not relieved because one or more of your relatives were afraid that one of their children would have Aspergers?

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the time of diagnosis, were you a child? or adult? Adult - this happened only a couple weeks ago, actually.

Were you relieved because you were afraid that it was something else? Yope Or were you relieved because it meant that you were eligible for certain services? Well, not any that I'm not already eligible for - I have epilepsy, too

Was your family not relieved because one or more of your relatives were afraid that one of their children would have Aspergers? That's not it
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 362
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they google Aspergers, as I did, and think, "Yikes, I've got it too!" as I did?

....because I have terrible handwriting, frequently use formal language, and have rather strange interests (lateral puzzling).

Of course, my husband has these symptoms much worse than I do. ;-> But think about our poor children!

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they google Aspergers, as I did, and think, "Yikes, I've got it too!" as I did? No - except for my dad (the one I potentially inherited it from)

....because I have terrible handwriting, frequently use formal language, and have rather strange interests (lateral puzzling). hehehe

Of course, my husband has these symptoms much worse than I do. ;-> But think about our poor children! I shall think of teh Soli-kittuns...there is a genetic component to Asperger's, though what it is hasn't been completely isolated yet, but it seems to be passed solely through the father
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that at one time autism-spectrum conditions like Aspergers were blamed on poor parenting. But I'd imagine this is NOT the reason, since you were diagnosed after this had long been debunked, right?

Did your family hope that you would outgrow all of your social differences, whereas after the diagnosis they had to accept it would be "permanent" (which is probably not necessarily true, BTW)?

Was your family regretful that you hadn't been diagnosed when younger?

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that at one time autism-spectrum conditions like Aspergers were blamed on poor parenting. But I'd imagine this is NOT the reason, since you were diagnosed after this had long been debunked, right? True, although I wouldn't say my dad will be winning any dad of the year awards anytime soon. xD

Did your family hope that you would outgrow all of your social differences, whereas after the diagnosis they had to accept it would be "permanent" (which is probably not necessarily true, BTW)? This is part of it,

Was your family regretful that you hadn't been diagnosed when younger? and this is part of it too, although not all.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

True, although I wouldn't say my dad will be winning any dad of the year awards anytime soon. xD

Aww, sorry to hear that.

Did their reaction have to do with what prompted you to get the diagnosis? the prospects for what could be done about it? the fact that someone else missed it before who should have noticed what was going on?

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did their reaction have to do with what prompted you to get the diagnosis? somewhat the prospects for what could be done about it? some of this the fact that someone else missed it before who should have noticed what was going on? the only one with anything close to this reaction has been my granddad, who thinks I'm making the whole thing up for attention *facepalm* to be specific his was "if there was something else wrong with you, why wasn't it found out before? kids these days come up with all sorts of excuses for their dramatics"
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they think you had waited too long to try and get a diagnosis? that you were better off just seeking help for whatever your difficulties were, rather than "wasting" money trying to put a label on it?

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they think you had waited too long to try and get a diagnosis? no that you were better off just seeking help for no whatever your difficulties were, rather than "wasting" money trying to put a label on it? but yes
Konnie (Konnie)
Username: Konnie

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might have answered this but I can't find it. Do your family members believe Asperger's is a legitimate diagnosis? I know there are those who it equal to high-functioning, low-level autism, and even those who think it's just social awkwardness.

Were you relieved that you had a legitimate diagnosis, versus the stigmas perptuated about different behaviors? Had you been frightened of getting a different diagnosis?

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might have answered this but I can't find it. Do your family members believe Asperger's is a legitimate diagnosis? mostly, no I know there are those who it equal to high-functioning, low-level autism, and even those who think it's just social awkwardness.

Were you relieved that you had a legitimate diagnosis, versus the stigmas perpetuated about different behaviors? yes Had you been frightened of getting a different diagnosis? yes, and

***SPOILER***

Earlier this year, I finally followed my friend Michelle's suggestion and went to a counselor to talk about my issues with my dad. Not long before I finally got over my nerves and did that, though, Michelle suggested that I might have Asperger's syndrome, from what she'd observed and when I looked it up, I believed she was right. So we picked a counselor together who had a specialty in working with children/adults with ASD, and she asked me the questions used to test for Asperger's. I'm "textbook", according to her - not only did I come off as the perfect Aspie from the answers to her questions, other behaviours I exhibited before the questioning and since then have convinced her.

It's a relief to know it, and it's greatly strengthened the relationships with my friends, who now understand me better, as well as getting me some new friends among the "Dangerverse" (a Harry Potter fic-verse) fan group.

But my blood family have had mixed reactions. My dad accepts it, and I think my mum is coming around, though her initial reaction was flat denial. My aunt hasn't really spoken about it openly with me, but she's 'liked' my posts about ASD related things on Facebook. I told my uncle about it and he accepted it at face value, and my sister is interested to hear more.

However, my granddad, the self-proclaimed 'patriarch of the clan' so to speak, believes that ASD, ADHD and other similar things are made-up excuses for young people to exhibit bad behaviour, and run roughshod over their parents and elders. Twenty-eight I may be, but he's still quick to dismiss me as a dramatic, whiny bratling. I think my Grandma Phyllis (whose 83rd birthday would have been the 19th) would have been much more supportive.

Well done, all =)

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do your family members believe Asperger's is a legitimate diagnosis? mostly, no <--this should have been "mostly they just don't know enough about it", only my grandpa flat-out denies its existence, and my mum is mostly in denial that I have it.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 517
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same sort of issue - I know I have some issue, but I have never been officially diagnosed with anything. Although when I was an infant, my parents were told that I possibly have Asperger's. I don't like not knowing for sure.

Oh, and I forgot to say welcome back to the forum, Kaylee. So... welcome back to the forum, Kaylee.

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Balin! I've missed everyone.

You could go see a counselor who has experience with Asperger's/ASD. That's what I did, and even though the diagnosis might not carry as much weight to some (since she's a psychiatrist, not a psychologist), it was still a diagnosis given by one who knows what they're talking about, straight from the diagnostic questions out of the DSM. It's a little less scary, IMO, to go to a counselor about it first.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I looked up 'Aspergers,' I thought the symptoms were so generalized that anybody could have some of them. So that may partially account for the way your grandfather feels. Another reason is that you will always be about 2 years old to your grandparents!
However, if I do have it, I think it may be an asset. Because interaction with people doesn't come naturally, I have to pay close attention and really study them, and I have to listen to them closely.
I don't know whether I got it from my father or not, - if I have it - as my parents were divorced when I was little and I saw him only once after I was an adult
Konnie (Konnie)
Username: Konnie

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I forgot to say, it's very nice to meet you, Kaylee! I joined while you were on hiatus, I suppose.
I'm glad you've got an official diagnosis; it really can helpt a ton. I hope your family support grows and that they take time to learn more about it. :-)

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

aww, soli-kitteh!! *givz cheezburger and hugs* yeses me thinks u may be rite...

Konnie: well, belated welcome to the LTPF =) I am teh one and only Kaylee Kitteh of silliness xD glad to see new people ^_^

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: