[Solo1] A scrund in the USA Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2014 » [Solo1] A scrund in the USA « Previous Next »

Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 367
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While attending a wedding recently, I was disabused (lovely word, isn't it?) of a scrund I have had for a long time, and I'll bet many others have had too. What was it, and how did I find out it was wrong?
(The scrund might also be called a stereotype.)
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 670
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund related to weddings at all?
Kayleearafinwiel (Kayleearafinwiel)
Username: Kayleearafinwiel

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can only Americans have this scrund? Only native English speakers? Would it be just as likely for an English speaker in another country to have this scrund (about weddings? about America/ns?)

Does the religion of the people getting married matter?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 369
Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund related to weddings at all? No; but it was at a wedding that I found out it's not true.
Can only Americans have this scrund? see below Only native English speakers? Would it be just as likely for an English speaker in another country to have this scrund Americans mostly, maybe including some Canadians. It refers to something that happens almost exclusively, if not entirely, in the USA. (about weddings? no about Americans?Yes
Paul1440 (Paul1440)
Username: Paul1440

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You never answered Kayleearafinwiel's question about the religion of the people getting married , but I'm guessing the answer is no.

Did you find this out (that the scrund was false) before the ceremony? during the ceremony? cocktail hour? reception? is this at all relevant?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You never answered Kayleearafinwiel's question about the religion of the people getting married, but I'm guessing the answer is no. Yes, right, it is no. Sorry, Kaylee!

Did you find this out (that the scrund was false) before the ceremony? during the ceremony? cocktail hour? reception? is this at all relevant? I actually found out before the ceremony, but if I hadn't, I would have learned this at the reception. No to the others. Yes, this is relevant.
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you find out (the scrund was false) because someone told you? or because you saw it with your own eyes? (or something similar with a different sense other than sight)?

If you didn't find out before the ceremony...
Would you have found out by someone telling you?
Would you have found out by seeing it with your own eyes? (or something similar with a different sense other than sight)?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you find out (the scrund was false) because someone told you? No or because you saw it with your own eyes? Yessish (or something similar with a different sense other than sight)? Sight primarily

If you didn't find out before the ceremony..
Would you have found out by someone telling you?
would you have found out by seeing it with your own eyes? Yope, I guess. I might have found out if someone told me, but it is quite likely that I would still have this scrund if nobody told me. And I could have gone through life without ever seeing it with my own eyes.

Also if I had not found out before the ceremony, I would have found out at the reception, so that part is n.r.
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You say the scrund might be considered a "stereotype." A stereotype about people? Activities? A certain culture?

Is there a relevant group of people the scrund was about? If so, do those people share:
Race or ethnicity?
Nationality?
Religion/Beliefs?
Sexuality?
Age?
Interests?
Place of residence?
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said weddings are not relevant, but is marriage relevant? The laws about marriage? Was it a wedding between a man and a woman, or was it a same-sex wedding? Is this at all relevant?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 372
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You say the scrund might be considered a "stereotype." A stereotype about people? Activities? A certain culture? Yes to all.

Is there a relevant group of people the scrund was about? 2 groups in fact. If so, do these people share:
Race or ethnicity? Yessish
Nationality?
Religion/Beliefs?
Sexuality? No to these.
Age? Yessish/yope
Interests? Yes
Place of residence? In a very broad sense, yes, but really n.r.

You said weddings are not relevant, but is marriage relevant? The laws about marriage?n.r. to both Was it a wedding between a man and a woman, or was it a same-sex wedding? Could have been a same-sex wedding, if certain wedding conventions were observed. But less likely if they had eloped, for example, and went to a j.p. Is this at all relevant? as above.

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the race or ethnicity they yesishly share:
East Asian?
Hispanic?
African-American?
African?
American Indian?
South Asian?
Middle Eastern?
White?
A subcategory of one of the above?

You say they yesishly/yopishly share age. Is that because the scrund typically applies to people of a certain age? Is it because it relates to an activity that is typically only done by people of a certain age? Would the relevant age be children? Teenagers? Adults? Young adults? Seniors?

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just reread your post and saw there were two relevant groups. I'd appreciate if you could treat the above questions as though 'they' referred to 'one or both of the groups'.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the race or ethnicity they yessishly share:
East Asian?
Hispanic?
African-American? Yes
African?
American Indian?
South Asian?
Middle Eastern?
White? Yes
A subcategory of one of the above? Yes, the last.

You say they yessishly/yopishly share age. Is that because the scrund typically applies to people of a certain age? Is it because it relates to an activity that is typically only done by people of a certain age? It is typically an interest of people of a certain age group, though there is no physical reason why this should be so. Would the relevant age be children? Teenagers? Adults? Young adults? Seniors? Roughly late teens through young adults.
All unanswered no or n.r.

I just reread your post and say there were two relevant groups. I'd appreciate if you could treat the above questions as though 'they' referred to 'one or both of the groups'. Done.

Post Number: 512
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is the scrund is about two groups: One black, the other some subset of white? Do the two groups share the relevant interest? Does only one group have the interest? Are both groups of roughly the same age?

I notice that you said 'no' to nationality earlier, but there is a relevant subset of "white people." Does that mean that the subset of white people is not a national origin, i.e. Italian-Americans? Is it a national origin?

Is the subcategory of white people an ethnicity that is not defined by a nation-state, ex. gypsies? Is a subculture that's pretty much confined to whites, ex. rednecks? Is it a subset based on class? Region? Appearance? Interests?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is the scrund about two groups: One black, the other some subset of white? Yessish, taking into consideration individuals as part of groups. Do the two groups share the relevant interest? Does only one group have the interest? That was the scrund, that only one group had this interest. I did not think that individuals from the other group might have it too. Are both groups of roughly the same age? Again, part of the scrund. I thought it confined to people in a certain age-group, not allowing for those outside that group.

I notice you said 'no' to nationality earlier, but there is a relevant subset of "white people." Does that mean that the subset of white people is not a national origin, i.e. Italian-Americans? correct Is it a national origin? No

Is the subcategory of white people an ethnicity that is not defined by a nation-state, ex. gypsies? Is a subculture that's pretty much confined to whites, ex. rednecks? This is close; many people would call them 'rednecks.' Is it a subset based on class? Somewhat Region? Somewhat Appearance? No Interests? Yes.
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the cotton-eyed joe dance?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the cotton-eyed joe dance? Heehee. No. Dancing n.r.

Post Number: 529
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds like a fascinating wedding...

Did you think that only the whites had the interest? Did you think that only the blacks had the interest? When in reality, there is substantial interest from both whites and blacks?

Is the only commonality of the subset of whites their shared interest in something? Would their common interest be considered somewhat low-class to some? Is it something more popular in the South? In rural areas?

Is the relevant interest in a person? In a group? In an activity? In a sport or a pastime? In some form of entertainment? In clothing? In food?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that only the whites had the interest? Yes Did you think that only the blacks had the interest? No When in reality, there is substantial interest from both whites and blacks? I don't know about 'substantial,' but there is interest.

Is the only commonality of the subset of whites their shared interest in something? Would their common interest be considered somewhat low-class to some? Is it something more popular in the South? In rural areas? Yes to all.

Is the relevant interest in a person? In a group? In an activity? In a sport or pastime? This In some form of entertainment? and this In clothing? In food? No to both.

Post Number: 541
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the relevant interest a sport? A pastime? Both? Is music relevant?

Did you actually see the activity being performed? Is that how you were disabused of the scrund?

Is it wrestling? NASCAR? Hunting? Monster truck rallies?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 378
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the relevant interest a sport? A pastime? Both? Yes, as a sport and a spectator sport. Is music relevant? No

Did you actually see the activity being performed? Is that how you were disabused of the scrund? No and no.

Is it wrestling? NASCAR? This Hunting? Monster truck rallies?
Like many people, I had thought that NASCAR races were a bastion of young white males, or rather young, white, Southern males. How did I find out that I was wrong, at a wedding specifically?

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a NASCAR race in town the weekend of the wedding? Did they get married at a racetrack before a NASCAR race? I don't doubt someone is stupid enough to do that.
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 695
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the wedding NASCAR-themed?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a NASCAR race in town the weekend of the wedding? Did they get married at a racetrack before a NASCAR race? No to both. I don't doubt someone is stupid enough to do that. I don't doubt it either, but no one of my acquaintance, much less a relative, is!

Was the wedding NASCAR-themed? No, but this is a little bit OTRT.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the bridal car a NASCAR car?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 384
Posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the bridal car a NASCAR car? No, but still on the right track, only in a lateral lane!

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the bride wear a checkered dress like a checkered flag? Did the groom wear a checkered tuxedo? When they walked down the aisle, did the priest/JOP/other clergy say "Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines"?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 537
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the couple's ethnicity relevant?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the bride wear a checkered dress like a checkered flag? Did the groom wear a checkered tuxedo? When they walked down the aisle, did the priest/JOP/other clergy say "Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines"? :-) No, nothing as outré as these.
The scrund was disproved at the reception, not during the ceremony. Nothing to do with the way than anyone was dressed. Nothing to do with the music or dancing at the reception. What's left?

Is the couple's ethnicity relevant? The ethnicity of one party led to my having the scrund.

Post Number: 556
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the decorations relevant? Was there a NASCAR theme, perhaps? Maybe a NASCAR cake?

Was the groom interested in NASCAR? Was the bride? Were either of them black?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the decorations relevant? Was there a NASCAR theme, perhaps? No to these.. Maybe a NASCAR cake? ...but yes to this.

Was the groom interested in NASCAR? Yes Was the bride? n.r. Were either of them black? Yes, the groom.

*********************SPOILER***************
The groom's cake is usually decorated to represent some interest of the bridegroom: hobby, profession, whatever. I was surprised to see it iced to represent a NASCAR car, since the groom is in his 40s and black. He is Southern, however.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: