[Nimue] A G-rared passive scrund abou... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2014 » [Nimue] A G-rared passive scrund about pedophiles « Previous Next »

Nimue (Nimue)
Username: Nimue

Post Number: 9953
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to have a passive scrund about pedophiles & I bet some of you still have it. Have ye no drede: the solution involves no gruesome details. (I am very squeamish.)
Paul1440 (Paul1440)
Username: Paul1440

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund about the definition of the word "pedophile"?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it relate to the demographics (the prevalence or lack thereof of certain genders, ages, racial groups, occupations etc) among their kind?
Konnie (Konnie)
Username: Konnie

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possible spoiler will be emailed.
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9954
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul1440 (Paul1440)
Username: Paul1440

Post Number: 185

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 6:49 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Was the scrund about the definition of the word "pedophile"? no or maybe noish

Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1603

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 7:34 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does it relate to the demographics (the prevalence or lack thereof of certain genders, ages, racial groups, occupations etc) among their kind? no
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the scrund refer, not to the demographics (as defined above) of the perps, but those of the victims?
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are their victims relevant at all? Are they more likely to target certain children? Less likely? Are any of the demographic details of their victims relevant?

Is the scrund that people who target pubescent or post-pubescent are pedophiles? When really, pedophilia is only sexual attraction towards very young children?

Laws or the legal system relevant at all? Is the scrund about pedophiles' actions? About the pedos themselves?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund that someone can be, technically speaking, "convicted of pedophilia", while in fact one can only be convicted of a sexual offense? People tend to say that, although nobody would say that a date rapist was "convicted of heterosexuality".
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9955
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 405

Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 1:05 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does the scrund refer, not to the demographics (as defined above) of the perps, but those of the victims? yesish

Post Number: 574

Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 3:05 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Are their victims relevant at all? yes Are they more likely to target certain children? no Less likely? yes Are any of the demographic details of their victims relevant? yope

Is the scrund that people who target pubescent or post-pubescent are pedophiles? noWhen really, pedophilia is only sexual attraction towards very young children? no

Laws or the legal system relevant at all? noishIs the scrund about pedophiles' actions? yes About the pedos themselves? yes
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 101

Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 6:56 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the scrund that someone can be, technically speaking, "convicted of pedophilia", while in fact one can only be convicted of a sexual offense? No, but you're ORT (on the right track)People tend to say that, although nobody would say that a date rapist was "convicted of heterosexuality".
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 353
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with how they have to go around to neighbors and introduce themselves as sex offenders? I remember when I was younger someone who lived in my neighborhood had to do that and I wound up answering the door. At least my parents were home. Otherwise, it would have been very awkward and that always struck me as a strange part of the law. You're essentially forcing pedophiles to go to houses where children may be home alone and talk to them. That has the potential to end very poorly. Is this rant at all relevant?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That the majority of crimes against children are committed by pedophiles? that people arrested for crimes against children have a higher rate of re-offending than people arrested for other crimes?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9958
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 353

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 2:17 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Anything to do with how they have to go around to neighbors and introduce themselves as sex offenders? I remember when I was younger someone who lived in my neighborhood had to do that and I wound up answering the door. At least my parents were home. Otherwise, it would have been very awkward and that always struck me as a strange part of the law. You're essentially forcing pedophiles to go to houses where children may be home alone and talk to them. That has the potential to end very poorly. Is this rant at all relevant? No, although I agree with it
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 105

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 4:28 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
That the majority of crimes against children are committed by pedophiles? no that people arrested for crimes against children have a higher rate of re-offending than people arrested for other crimes? no

Post Number: 578
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the scrund apply equally to same-sex and different-sex offenses? Does it apply to the act of preying upon children? Or is it more to do with the sexual desires, whether or not they're acted upon?

Is any of the following relevant about the victims:
Age (outside the obvious "They're kids")
Personality
Personal Relationships
Their future lives
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9959
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 578

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 4:45 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does the scrund apply equally to same-sex and different-sex offenses? yes Does it apply to the act of preying upon children? yes Or is it more to do with the sexual desires, whether or not they're acted upon?These are relevant

Is any of the following relevant about the victims: no
Age (outside the obvious "They're kids")
Personality
Personal Relationships
Their future lives

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That pedophiles who victimize same-sex children are probably gay, while pedophiles who victimize opposite-sex children are likely heterosexual? And notice how nobody ever makes the latter claim even though it's equally logical (and equally false.)
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9961
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 360

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 8:18 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
That pedophiles who victimize same-sex children are probably gay, while pedophiles who victimize opposite-sex children are likely heterosexual? noAnd notice how nobody ever makes the latter claim even though it's equally logical (and equally false.)The two claims are equally logical, but whether they're false is a matter of whether 'heterosexual' (or 'homosexual') means 'attracted to people of the opposite (or same) sex,' or whether it means 'attracted to people of the opposite (or same) sex who are not children.' The real problem is that bigots think that gays are more apt to be pedophiles than straights, although I gather the evidence is that gays are less likely to be attracted to children.

Post Number: 584
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I notice belatedly that Solo and I both asked question about the demographics of the victims, and that he got a "Yesish" and I got a "Yope." Would it help if I tried to figure out the relevant difference in our questions?

Does the scrund deal with why they choose to act upon their desires? Why those desires arise in the first place? Who those desires arise for?

Is the scrund the common assumption that most child molesters are strangers, when it's much more likely children will be preyed upon by someone they know?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9962
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 584

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 9:28 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
I notice belatedly that Solo and I both asked question about the demographics of the victims, and that he got a "Yesish" and I got a "Yope." Would it help if I tried to figure out the relevant difference in our questions? no: I probably should have said yesish both times so this is a BLOOOOOPERRRRRALERRRTTTT!!!

Does the scrund deal with why they choose to act upon their desires? noWhy those desires arise in the first place? noWho those desires arise for? no

Is the scrund the common assumption that most child molesters are strangers, when it's much more likely children will be preyed upon by someone they know? no
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...although I gather the evidence is that gays are less likely to be attracted to children.

According to my knowledge, the numbers of male pedophiles who are attracted to boys and girls are almost equal, whereas female pedophiles (who are certainly fewer in number) tend to prefer girls more often. So it may be that they are statistically more likely to be homosexual than average--though of course this doesn't justify an implication the other way, that because someone is gay he/she is likely to prefer children!

Anyway, does the scrund concern how long they typically know a child for before acting out sexually? what type of relationship they have with the child? whether the parents know of the relationship?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9963
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 106

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:00 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
...although I gather the evidence is that gays are less likely to be attracted to children.

According to my knowledge, the numbers of male pedophiles who are attracted to boys and girls are almost equal, whereas female pedophiles (who are certainly fewer in number) tend to prefer girls more often. So it may be that they are statistically more likely to be homosexual than average--though of course this doesn't justify an implication the other way, that because someone is gay he/she is likely to prefer children!

Anyway, does the scrund concern how long they typically know a child for before acting out sexually? noish or yope what type of relationship they have with the child? yes whether the parents know of the relationship? no

Post Number: 594
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it that pedophiles are uncaring towards their victims? When typically, they've deluded themselves into believing its an act of love or affection?

So we've established that the kids' demographic details are yesishly relevant. Does the scrund incorrectly assume certain children are more likely to be victimized? Does it incorrectly assume a certain demographic is irrelevant, when it isn't? Does it not take into account demographics entirely?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9964
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 594

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:24 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is it that pedophiles are uncaring towards their victims? no When typically, they've deluded themselves into believing its an act of love or affection? irrel

So we've established that the kids' demographic details are yesishly relevant. Does the scrund incorrectly assume certain children are more likely to be victimized? no Does it incorrectly assume a certain demographic is irrelevant, when it isn't? noDoes it not take into account demographics entirely? no
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund basically that all child molesters are pedophiles? or that any pedophile sooner or later will do harm to a child?
Nimue (Nimue)

Post Number: 9965
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1312

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:53 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Is the scrund basically that all child molesters are pedophiles? noor that any pedophile sooner or later will do harm to a child? yes

************ SPOILER **************
According to British sociologist Sarah D. Goode, many pedophiles never molest children, either because they realize it's immoral or because they don't want to risk prosecution or both. Her study is based on responses to her online request for pedophiles to interview, so their credibility is much higher than it would be if someone else had identified them as pedophiles, since, of course, they didn't have to come forward at all. Also, most of the survey responders used pseudonyms, which also reduced their motivation to lie.Although I found this result surprising, it seems less so on reflection. Everyone has desires not acted on.Think of all the things you'd like to say to your boss, or teachers, or. . . . Think also of checking out my new puzzle!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: