[Ixoye] Are You Normal? Prove It! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2014 » [Ixoye] Are You Normal? Prove It! « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 4367
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Supposedly, a normal person will grob when necessary so that they do not appear to be insane. When I saw someone demonstrate grobbing it was not only funny, it made perfect sense. That was about 25 years ago. Just last week someone who should have grobbed failed to do so, and this happened just a few feet away from me. Ever since grobbing was shown to me I have always known to watch for it in certain places. I have even been known to grob even if I don't see any bystanders, just to avoid looking creepy or mentally unstable.

Can you guess what grobbing is?
Paul1440 (Paul1440)
Username: Paul1440

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do most people grob many times a day?
Or is it something people do on rare occasions?
Do people grob instinctively without thinking about it?

Is grobbing something people do with a specific part of the body? If so, is it done with the person's head? part of the head? arm? hand? leg? foot? other part of the body?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4368
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do most people grob many times a day? No
Or is it something people do on rare occasions? Yes
Do people grob instinctively without thinking about it? It's possible, I would. But a person's tendency to do this may depend on their cultural background or how often they've seen other people do it.

Is grobbing something people do with a specific part of the body? Yes
If so, is it done with the person's head? Yes, moreso...part of the head?...this. arm? Yes-ish, moreso...hand?...this.
leg? foot? No
other part of the body? None relevant
Paul1440 (Paul1440)
Username: Paul1440

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it done with...

the eyes? just one eye? the nose? the mouth? the ears? just one ear? the neck?

does grobbing involve touching the part of the head with the hand?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4369
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it done with...

the eyes? just one eye? the nose? the mouth? the ears? just one ear? the neck? The eyes and mouth could be involved, but not nose, ears or neck.

does grobbing involve touching the part of the head with the hand? Yes, actually one variation of grobbing does involve this.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant why the person thinks he/she may be perceived as insane in the first place? If so, is it because of something the person said? a movement or gesture the person made? a failure to notice something?

Does grobbing provide a reasonable explanation for a previous action? distract from a previous action? prove that the person is paying attention?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 5:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Facepalm relevant? Is grobbing a gesture demonstrating that what you just saw/heard/did was stupid or embarrassing? Shame relevant? Other specific emotions? Facial expression relevant?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4370
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant why the person thinks he/she may be perceived as insane in the first place? Yes
If so, is it because of something the person said? No, but...a movement or gesture the person made?...this.
a failure to notice something? No

Does grobbing provide a reasonable explanation yes... for a previous action? ...but not this, really
distract from a previous action? prove that the person is paying attention? Not these either

Facepalm relevant? Yes, this could be part of a grob or a grob all by itself. This would probably only be done by children, possibly teenagers, not likely to be done by adults.
Is grobbing a gesture demonstrating that what you just saw/heard/did was stupid or embarrassing? Yes, usually stupid but could be either (see below*)
Shame relevant? It may be a factor, depending on the location
Other specific emotions? Yes*
Facial expression relevant? YES
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4389
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two hints -

1. The person that I heard describe grobbing was a comedian

2. It would be helpful to know where I recently saw someone fail to grob
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where: in public? On television? In other mass media? On the web? At home? Relevant who the grobfailing person was?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4475
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where: in public? Yes
On television? This is where I saw a grob described and demonstrated
In other mass media? Not that I recall
On the web? Not specifically
At home? Certainly, there is grobbing at my house often by every member of the family
Relevant who the grobfailing person was? Not as much who it was (it was a middle-aged man) but where it was
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it on the street? in a store? on the bus?

Are people likely to grob when among people they know, or only when around strangers who don't know them (and their level of sanity) well?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4479
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it on the street? No...
in a store? Close, it was in the parking lot of a store, but grobbing happens in stores as well
on the bus? No

Are people likely to grob when among people they know, or only when around strangers who don't know them (and their level of sanity) well? Good q - when I heard the comedian describe grobbing, it was described as something that a person would do around strangers so they wouldn't get the impression that the person was a little bid odd. If you're around people who know you, it wouldn't matter if you grobbed or not, they would understand what was happening. Now, while a grob usually involves a certain hand gesture and facial expression, there is usually a certain type of phrase or sentence spoken to accompany a grob when among family and friends. However, even while executing a grob perfectly among strangers, if a person used the same kind of phrase or sentence they may appear odd or slightly insane.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So facial expressions are relevant--does this mean that grobbing makes a facial expression that may otherwise seem odd look normal? or shows that the person making the expression is aware of it and knows that others might find it odd? or did you mean that grobbing itself is a facial expression?

If the facial expression is not the grobbing, but rather the act that might look strange, is that expression: staring at someone for a long time? sticking one's tongue out? having a huge grin for no apparent reason? squinting or winking under odd circumstances? raising one's eyebrows?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4481
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So facial expressions are relevant--does this mean that grobbing makes a facial expression that may otherwise seem odd look normal? Yes-ish, facial expression and/or movement of hands and body can be used to do this
or shows that the person making the expression is aware of it and knows that others might find it odd? Yes-ish, the person making the expression is aware that they are doing something that would look very odd without a certain facial expression and/or hand and body movement
or did you mean that grobbing itself is a facial expression? Good q - no, grobbing is an overall action done to provide an explanation to observers that a person is aware that they are doing something that could make them seem odd or possibly mentally disturbed (so an observer would know, after seeing the grob, that the person's actions are rational).

If the facial expression is not the grobbing, but rather the act that might look strange, is that expression: staring at someone for a long time? It could be this, yes! In the puzzle statement I mentioned that recently I observed someone who should have grobbed. It was a man that was standing near me outside a store, he was standing very still, staring blankly across the parking lot (almost suspiciously). Finally I understood why he was doing this, but if he had grobbed I would have immediately understood and he would not have looked strange or suspicious.
sticking one's tongue out? having a huge grin for no apparent reason? squinting or winking under odd circumstances? None of these
raising one's eyebrows? This is very commonly done as part of a grob when in the company of strangers, often accompanied by a very specific hand movement or certain kind of movement involving both hands. This may also be done among family and friends but would typically be accompanied by a certain kind of phrase or outburst.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does grobbing involve squinting? holding up a hand to block the sun? craning the neck? is the intention to make it look like the person is trying to see something that is difficult to make out (due to distance or glare from the sun)? trying to avoid being blinded by the light?

Or alternatively, is the intent of grobbing to make it look like the person recognizes someone/something from a distance? for instance a friend? In that case, would it involve waving? motioning the person to come over? (If this is it, though, I'd imagine that the person whom the "grobber" pretends he/she knows would find it weird, even if bystanders don't)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4482
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does grobbing involve squinting? No
holding up a hand to block the sun? No
craning the neck? No
is the intention to make it look like the person is trying to see something that is difficult to make out (due to distance or glare from the sun)? trying to avoid being blinded by the light? No

Or alternatively, is the intent of grobbing to make it look like the person recognizes someone/something from a distance? for instance a friend? In that case, would it involve waving? motioning the person to come over? (If this is it, though, I'd imagine that the person whom the "grobber" pretends he/she knows would find it weird, even if bystanders don't) No, not this kind of thing. In fact, a person who grobs rarely makes eye contact with strangers when they do it, and just about as rarely when around people they know. Even a well-done grob could be ineffective if the person doing it made eye contact with a stranger
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then, is the intention to appear as if concentrating really hard? trying to remember something? or alternatively to look lost?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4483
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then, is the intention to appear as if concentrating really hard? trying to remember something? No...BUT both of these are commonly done just before a grob
or alternatively to look lost? No
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4488
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To expand on the last answer: A grob is usually done intentionally, at least if someone is wanting to avoid looking odd or insane. It could, therefore, immediately be done after unintentionally trying to remember something or concentrating really hard. The person that I saw that failed to grob was obviously concentrating and trying to remember something when he was standing still and staring out into the parking area. He ultimately did something else, and since he did not grob he could have appeared strange to anyone that was observing him for a few seconds.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is grobbing doing something, then pretending that they meant to do something else?
Is the change in facial expression when one remembers something relevant?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4492
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is grobbing doing something, then pretending that they meant to do something else? No
Is the change in facial expression when one remembers something relevant? Yes!
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is grobbing done to "explain" the change in facial expression? Or is the grob the change in itself? Is going "aha!" or raising the index finger part of grobbing? Is grobbing gestures demonstrating that you just remembered something?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4504
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is grobbing done to "explain" the change in facial expression? Yes
Or is the grob the change in itself? This too...
Is going "aha!" or raising the index finger part of grobbing? Definitely!
Is grobbing gestures demonstrating that you just remembered something? Yes indeed

** SPOILER **

To grob is to make an outward expression that demonstrates to onlookers and bystanders that you have suddenly remembered something and you have to make a sudden reversal in direction. Example - a person exits a grocery store and is walking towards their car and they suddenly remember they forgot an item in the store; if they simply pause and turn completely around without making any change in facial expression they may appear somewhat odd to observers; if they stop, stare blankly ahead, then make a sudden change in direction, they may appear odd and possibly mentally unbalanced or even suspicious if not threatening to onlookers. The recent experience I had was seeing a man standing very still and staring across a parking lot, then he turned and began walking in a different direction while taking his keys out of his pocket. I'm guessing he had forgotten where he parked, but he appeared suspicious and odd at first. The comedian demonstrated some grobs by doing things like snapping his fingers while saying "Aha!", doing a forehead slap, and raising his eyebrows and saying "I forgot!" before turning around and walking the other way.

Nicely done!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: