[Paul1440] Ordinal Scrund Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2014 » [Paul1440] Ordinal Scrund « Previous Next »

Paul1440 (Paul1440)
Username: Paul1440

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have known quite a few people who have a scrund about something. (I personally never had this scrund) Let's call that something "X".
If the scrund were true, then "X" would be 4th or 5th or 6th, but in reality "X" is 1st.

What is "X" and what is the scrund?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do 4th, 5th, etc. refer to order in time? order of popularity (1st being most popular)? order of importance? order of appearance in some other sequence (like for example the alphabet)?

Is "X" a physical object? a person? an event? a word? a number? a work of art or literature (that is a member of some series)?
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd (Biograd)

Do 4th, 5th, etc. refer to order in time? order of popularity (1st being most popular)? order of importance? order of appearance in some other sequence (like for example the alphabet)? None of these, but "order of popularity" is closest

Is "X" a physical object? Yope a person? an event? a word? a number? a work of art or literature (that is a member of some series)? No to the rest
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is X a place? a city? a country?

Is the order of population? size?
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd (Biograd)

Is X a place? Yes a city? This a country?

Is the order of population? This size?

I have a hunch this is going to be solved very quickly
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 715
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the overall population of the city? The population that belongs to a certain demographic group?
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Is it the overall population of the city? This The population that belongs to a certain demographic group?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 730
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the most populated city in the world? in a country? in a region?
Do the people who have the scrund think that this city has a smaller population than it actually has? That other cities have a bigger population than they actually have?
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Is it the most populated city in the world? in a country? This in a region?

Do the people who have the scrund think that this city has a smaller population than it actually has? They probably don't think about this directly. However, the scrund would certainly imply this That other cities have a bigger population than they actually have? No
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 731
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they think that certain areas are not part of the city, when in fact they are?
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Do they think that certain areas are not part of the city, when in fact they are?Exactly
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 732
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the names of those areas suggest that they're not part of the city? E.g., the city is called "X", and the area is called "New X"?
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana (Doriana)

Do the names of those areas suggest that they're not part of the city? E.g., the city is called "X", and the area is called "New X"?No
Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)
Username: Alexanderhamilton

Post Number: 623
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the country the United States? Is it in Europe? The Americas? Asia? Africa? Oceania?

Is the city New York City? Do they think that New York City is only the island of Manhattan?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this have to do with confusion between cities proper, metropolitan areas and census designated units?
Paul1440 (Paul1440)

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alexanderhamilton (Alexanderhamilton)

Is the country the United States? This Is it in Europe? The Americas? Asia? Africa? Oceania?

Is the city New York City? Yes Do they think that New York City is only the island of Manhattan?Yes

Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Does this have to do with confusion between cities proper, metropolitan areas and census designated units?To some extent. See above

***************SPOILER**********************
New York City is the largest city in the USA, but it's amazing how many people think it consists only of Manhattan. If that were true, New York would be the 4th largest city in the US behind Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston... Or maybe it would be 5th if the other four boroughs combined counted as one city. Or perhaps 6th (behind Brooklyn and Queens) if each borough were a city.

As an aside, I've lived in Queens for most of my life (which is part of the city). I went to college in upstate New York. I remember a conversation with one of my college roommates in which I mentioned in passing that I live in NYC. He kept insisting that I don't live in New York City. I corrected him, but he insisted he was right.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: