[WiZ] Collar me, don't collar me Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2014 » [WiZ] Collar me, don't collar me « Previous Next »

Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Throughout the course of his adult life, a man makes a series of important calls. He always wears the same shirt when he makes the call. Why?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 4426
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm curious how the title relates to the puzzle, should be fun to find out...

Are the important calls made on a phone? Or are these more like "judgement calls"? Or like an "official call"? Is he a referee, "makes the call" on the football field in his zebra-striped shirt? Is he a baseball umpire?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm curious how the title relates to the puzzle, should be fun to find out... I've had my fun, and now it's time to serve my conscience overseas

Are the important calls made on a phone? correct Or are these more like "judgement calls"? Or like an "official call"? no to both Is he a referee, "makes the call" on the football field in his zebra-striped shirt? no Is he a baseball umpire? no
Abc (Abc)
Username: Abc

Post Number: 659
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an ordinary shirt?
Is he a prisoner?
Is he at the same place each time he makes such a call?
The same type of place?
Is it a mobile phone? A landline? Relevant?
Is it relevant whether he is seen by anyone when making the call?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an ordinary shirt? yes
Is he a prisoner? no
Is he at the same place each time he makes such a call? often, but not always
The same type of place? see above
Is it a mobile phone? A landline? Relevant? both, but more often a landline
Is it relevant whether he is seen by anyone when making the call? no
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4427
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the song that you've quoted have anything to do with the man, or the shirt?
When he makes the call, is it to one person? Always the same person? Or does he call different people at different times?
Is the interval always the same between calls?
Does he make the call so that a decision can be made? So that he can learn something? So that he can ask a question? So that he can give someone some information?
Is the shirt part of a uniform? Does he have more than one shirt that looks like this? Does the shirt have any insignias or logos on it?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the song that you've quoted have anything to do with the man, or the shirt? The shirt has a collar. Otherwise, no :P
When he makes the call, is it to one person? yes Always the same person? yes Or does he call different people at different times? no
Is the interval always the same between calls? yes
Does he make the call so that a decision can be made? no So that he can learn something? no So that he can ask a question? no So that he can give someone some information? no
Is the shirt part of a uniform? no Does he have more than one shirt that looks like this? no Does the shirt have any insignias or logos on it? not relevantly
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4428
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought maybe the shirt was orange...

Does this man work in an office? Is he a culturally well-known person? A politician? A leader of some kind?
When he "makes the call," does he expect the other person to answer on the other end? Does the other person always answer? When the other person does answer, do they say, "Hello?" or do they say something else?
Does the man call a male? Or a female?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 661
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he call once a day? week? month? year?
Does he call the police?
Some other, similar institution?
Is he obliged to make the call?
Is a possible scenario that he puts on the shirt right before he makes the call?
And/or takes it off just after the call is finished?
Does he have any other shirts?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought maybe the shirt was orange... I hope you're not too crushed.

Does this man work in an office? yes Is he a culturally well-known person? no A politician? no A leader of some kind? no
When he "makes the call," does he expect the other person to answer on the other end? yes, or at least hopes so Does the other person always answer? no When the other person does answer, do they say, "Hello?" or do they say something else? they say 'hello'
Does the man call a male? Or a female? a female, although this puzzle would work equally if he called a male
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 662
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

8:45 pls
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he call once a day? week? month? year? this
Does he call the police? no
Some other, similar institution? no
Is he obliged to make the call? yope
Is a possible scenario that he puts on the shirt right before he makes the call? yes, this is possible
And/or takes it off just after the call is finished? this is also possible, but not in tandem with the previous secnario - he would not put the shirt on, make the call, and then take it off immediately.
Does he have any other shirts? yes
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 663
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I saw the scene of him making the call, would I understand (better) why he was wearing it?
Is he calling on some kind of anniversary?
Is he hoping for an answer that he so far hasn't got?
Is this about relationships?
Money?
Health?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I saw the scene of him making the call, would I understand (better) why he was wearing it? you would probably understand immediately why he was wearing it - seeing him make the call wouldn't provide you with any additional clues
Is he calling on some kind of anniversary? yes
Is he hoping for an answer that he so far hasn't got? no
Is this about relationships? yes
Money? no
Health? no
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4429
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not crushed, but I'll have to ask more questions so follow me...

Does the other person always expect the call from this man?
If the other person doesn't answer, does the man leave them a message? Or does he hang up?
Would he be sad if the other person didn't answer?
Is he calling to wish the person a happy birthday? Or Merry Christmas? Or something like this?
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 664
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the woman his wife?
His ex-wife?
Daughter?
Other relative?
If I saw this shirt among other shirts, would it stand out?
Is he in a special situation when he makes the call?
Is the anniversary a school anniversary?
Wedding anniversary?
Birthday anniversary?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the woman his wife?
His ex-wife?
Daughter? no to these
Other relative? this
If I saw this shirt among other shirts, would it stand out? difficult to answer; the shirt itself is fairly generic. You would see others like it for sale in menswear or department stores
Is he in a special situation when he makes the call? yes
Is the anniversary a school anniversary?
Wedding anniversary?
Birthday anniversary? this; no to rest
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the other person always expect the call from this man? yes
If the other person doesn't answer, does the man leave them a message? no Or does he hang up? yes, but would call them again later
Would he be sad if the other person didn't answer? a little
Is he calling to wish the person a happy birthday? this Or Merry Christmas? Or something like this?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2966
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he call his mother? Grandmother? Aunt? Sister? Cousin? Does the person he is calling know he is wearing the shirt when he does so? Can they see him? Did they give him the shirt? Does the shirt have some sort of sentimental value? Is this a kind of tradition shared by the man and the call receiver?

Is the yearly call the only time he speaks to the person? Do they live far away? Relevant?

Is the person's birthday on a date that also has some other meaning? Does he wear the shirt for a reason that is unconnected to the birthday, but which always requires him to wear the shirt on the birthday?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he call his mother? yes Grandmother? Aunt? Sister? Cousin? any of these others could also work, provided he felt close enough to them to make sure he calls them on their birthday Does the person he is calling know he is wearing the shirt when he does so? no Can they see him? no Did they give him the shirt? no Does the shirt have some sort of sentimental value? no Is this a kind of tradition shared by the man and the call receiver? no, but explore

Is the yearly call the only time he speaks to the person? no Do they live far away? far enough away that it's difficult for the man to pop around and visit in person Relevant? no

Is the person's birthday on a date that also has some other meaning? yes! Does he wear the shirt for a reason that is unconnected to the birthday, but which always requires him to wear the shirt on the birthday? yes!
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4430
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the birthday date the same as a national holiday?
Does the man wear the shirt regardless of the day of the week the birthday falls on?
Does the man go to a relevant place on this day every year? A place where he needs to be wearing this shirt?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2967
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is their birthday today, and he always makes sure to wear his 'Kiss Me, I'm Irish' shirt? Though those are rarely collared...a green shirt?

Does the date have meaning to a wide set of people, or just to the man?

Does anyone else require him to wear the shirt that day, or does the man just want to? Does he wear it any other days? Are there any other days that he specifically chooses to wear that shirt?
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the birthday date the same as a national holiday? Yes, although not where the man lives. It's not strictly relevant
Does the man wear the shirt regardless of the day of the week the birthday falls on? yes
Does the man go to a relevant place on this day every year? no A place where he needs to be wearing this shirt? no
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is their birthday today, and he always makes sure to wear his...green shirt? this

***** SPOILER *****

The man's mother was born on March 17. Every time he calls her to wish her a happy birthday, he's wearing the single green shirt in his wardrobe (which is tidy enough to be worn at the office but casual enough to be worn to a bar)

I knew hosting the puzzle today would do unfortunate things for its life expectancy, but I didn't have anything else in the tank.

Congratulations to all, especially Enjay for the solve, and both Ixoye and Abc for the groundwork
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4431
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice one! It gave my brain a workout, you know, kinda turned it inside out. You can try solving my two open ones, I've got more "in the tank," but don't want to start a new one yet.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll give your puzzles some attention, because I believe in what you do.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4432
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great, I'll answer quickly. I am not the type of dog that could keep you waiting for no good reason.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 5225
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Loving all the REM banter in this puzzle.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, we're only kidding, really. I just insert it so you know that it's really, really, really, really me.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5227
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice to see Green getting a nod. In my opinion it's REM's most interesting and certainly one of their best albums. It comes just before they went global with Out of Time and Automatic and remains a classic to this day.

Lyrically I don't think Michael has ever been better and it contains some hidden gems like 'Hairshirt' and 'Worldleaderpretend' which used to be my sports forum username.

And of course Stand, Orange Crush and Pop Song are timeless REM greats.

Definitely playing this on my way home.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to sing/hum 'World Leader Pretend' to myself quite a bit while playing the original Civ when I was at university.

The year was 1991. By which I mean 2005.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4450
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Green is the only one I could listen to straight through. I enjoy some songs on Pageant and Document, but don't care for all of them. There are only a few on Out Of Time that I liked, not really much after that. I guess I'm only a part-time fan.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5228
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ixoye (how is that pronounced by the way?)that's interesting what you said about Out of Time as it was such a huge seller yet I feel it's not even in the top 10 of REM's albums. I do love Pageant & Document mind you.

While not wanting to turn this puzzle in an REM forum I can't resist listing my top 5 REM albums

1. Reckoning
2. Life's Rich Pageant
3. Automatic for the People
4. Murmur
5. New Adventures in Hi-Fi.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By all means, carry on. It's so rare that I host a puzzle that goes over 30 posts.

I'm not familiar (and not familiar enough, according to popular opinion) with REM's work pre Document. Although I do know which genre this isn't at all, how high they are in the room, which driver should take a break, and where you shouldn't go back and waste another year.

The first album I bought was Reveal, which I enjoyed then and now. I am particularly fond of the song Beat a Drum, probably my favourite in the canon outside of Find the River, from Automatic for the People.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5244
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beat a Drum is lovely as is the whole of Reveal which has a beautiful melodic quality about it.

If Balin comes across this he'll think I'm a broken record but I would recommend a song (if you're not already familiar with it) called 'Wendell Gee' on 'Fables of the Reconstruction'. It's absolutely georgous and on most days would be my REM desert island disc. It features rather uniquely Peter Buck playing a banjo.

Find the River is magnificent. There was a lot of speculation at that time about Michael's health and the future of the band and a lot of people thought 'River' had a final farewell feel to it.

'Me my thoughts are flowers strewn, Ocean storm bayberry moon.'

When you add in Nightswimming and Everybody Hurts it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who says I haven't been lurking this conversation?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4461
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Wendell Gee' is a good one indeed, as is 'Green Grow the Rushes.' I grew up about an hour away from REM's home town of Athens, GA and my best friend in high school was a "true" REM fan (he had all their albums, liked just about every song of theirs). I hadn't really ever listened to them until I heard 'The One I Love' (which, in the opinion of true fans, was too mainstream for the band, and didn't really demonstrate their real sound, so you weren't a "fan" just because you liked that song). There were several local bands with ties to REM (some of them knew Stipe) so since I knew people in the bands and people who would make the one-hour pilgrimage to Athens to see REM I got into the music, but I wasn't ever a fan enough to listen to every song by the group. I like the song 'Shiny Happy People' and the back story with it, and I agree that 'Nightswimming' is a good one. Once I heard a few songs from Green I asked my friend if I could borrow the cassette and I just left it in the tape player in the car and listened to it pretty much non-stop. I liked the untitled bonus track, and usually would FF over 'I Remember California' to get to it. Good memories...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 4462
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And I just heard 'Find The River' for the first time. Very good.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5256
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pylon were one of the cool Athens bands at that time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: