[RedWine] Sound of silence. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2014 » [RedWine] Sound of silence. « Previous Next »

Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once I woke up, nervous, in the middle of the night. Then I heard a single sound of gurgling. I fell asleep again, reassured that everything was all right.

I - RedWine.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 5230
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was somebody else gurgling? Something natural like a stream or brook? were you camping?

Were you in a strange place? or your own bed? Were you nervous because you woke up disorientated?
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plumbing relevant? You knew you were at home because your pipes make a certain sort of noise?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter:
Was somebody else gurgling? No. Something natural like a stream or brook? Noish. were you camping? No.

Were you in a strange place? No. or your own bed? Yes. Were you nervous because you woke up disorientated? No.

Solo1:
Plumbing relevant? No. You knew you were at home no... because your pipes make a certain sort of noise? but this is, technically speaking, true.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)
Username: Wizardofnz

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You were in your own bed, but not at home?

Were you in a building of some sort?

Did you think that you were in any personal danger before you heard the gurgling noise? Did you think someone else might be? Did you think an appliance, or something else, was not working properly?

Before you went to sleep, did you suspect that this problem would or might arise?

Are any other humans or animals involved?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wizardofnz:
You were in your own bed, but not at home? I was at home. The "no" to Solo1's question was meant to indicate that I did not need to realise I was at home.

Were you in a building of some sort? My flat.

Did you think that you were in any personal danger before you heard the gurgling noise? No, but OTRT. Did you think someone else might be? No. Did you think an appliance, or something else, was not working properly? Yes.

Before you went to sleep, did you suspect that this problem would or might arise? Yes.

Are any other humans or animals involved? No.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5243
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Power cuts relevant? Were you worried that you might oversleep? forget to do something? Miss something important?

Was it pitch dark when you woke? Was the gurgling noise coming from within the confines of your flat?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter:
Power cuts relevant? No. Were you worried that you might oversleep? forget to do something? Miss something important? No to all.

Was it pitch dark when you woke? Yes. Was the gurgling noise coming from within the confines of your flat? Yes.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5247
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you had not heard the gurgling and switched on the light would you have been similarly reassured? Is the sound coming from your bedroom?

Do you play a tape of stream noises to help you sleep? are you wearing headphones? Did you have a nightmare?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter:
If you had not heard the gurgling and switched on the light would you have been similarly reassured? I don't know how to answer this. I could have checked the problem visually but there would have been the gurgling sound anyway. And checking the problem visually would have required more actions than just turning on the light.
Is the sound coming from your bedroom? No.

Do you play a tape of stream noises to help you sleep? No. are you wearing headphones? No. Did you have a nightmare No.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5252
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the Kitchen ? Living Room? Bathroom?

Is the gurgling noise made by something mechanical? is there actually water in it?

Do you live alone or more to the point are you alone in this scenario?

Given that you're in bed I've just realised what a personal question that was
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter:
From the Kitchen ? Living Room? Bathroom? From my husband's working room, but that's not so much relevant.
Is the gurgling noise made by something mechanical? No, but it can depend on your definition of "Mechanical". is there actually water in it? Yes there is.

Do you live alone or more to the point are you alone in this scenario? There is also my husband and our cat. Their presence do not change events of the puzzle.
Konnie (Konnie)
Username: Konnie

Post Number: 413
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Humidifier or dehumidifier?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Konnie:
Humidifier or dehumidifier? No to both.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 436
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

water heater?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1:
water heater? No.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 5258
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it some sort of water feature that is actually designed to emit a soothing gurgling sound?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter:
Is it some sort of water feature that is actually designed to emit a soothing gurgling sound? Technically speaking, yes. There is indeed a feature involved. It contains water and is designed in the way that it emits gurgling sound while functionning properly. However, it has nothing to do with providing water to/taking sewage from my flat. It's not a very common object, though.
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is its usage primarily or exclusively ornamental? e.g. a table fountain?
You say it was in your husband's workroom. Might it just as likely be in some other room? If so, LTPF list of rooms.
Did the gurgling sound indicate that he was actually in his workroom?
Coffee-related? or another beverage?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Solo1:
Is its usage primarily or exclusively ornamental? No. e.g. a table fountain? No.
You say it was in your husband's workroom. Might it just as likely be in some other room? This year we kept it in bathroom. Any warm room would do, but I would object to having it in any room where I spend lot of time. If so, LTPF list of rooms.
Did the gurgling sound indicate that he was actually in his workroom? No.
Coffee-related? No. or another beverage? Yes.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this some kind of home-brewing apparatus?
Solo1 (Solo1)

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tea? Alcoholic beverage?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wizardofnz:
Is this some kind of home-brewing apparatus? Not brewing, but OTRT.

Solo1:
Tea? No. Alcoholic beverage? Yes.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a distillery or some other kind of apparatus for creating your own spirits or other alcoholic beverage?

Relevant which kind? Vodka? Whiskey? Wine?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wizardofnz:

Is it a distillery No. or some other kind of apparatus for creating your own spirits or other alcoholic beverage? Yes, but it's not so complicated to call it "apparatus". It' just a large bottle, cork and pipe.

Relevant which kind? Yes. Vodka? Whiskey? Wine? This one.
Wizardofnz (Wizardofnz)

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just like the word 'apparatus'.

Were you concerned about anything other than your wine-making device not working? Did you need wine fairly urgently? Would a problem with the machine at this point in time mean that the whole process was ruined? Would a fault with the wine-making device indicate that there was also a fault with some other, larger, or more important process?

Is your username relevant?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wizardofnz:
Were you concerned about anything other than your wine-making device not working? No. Did you need wine fairly urgently? No. Would a problem with the machine at this point in time mean that the whole process was ruined? Yes, but that was not my main concern. Would a fault with the wine-making device indicate that there was also a fault with some other, larger, or more important process? No.

Is your username relevant? No.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you hadn't heard the gurgling sound, would you think that: the wine making had failed? The wine maker had been tampered with? Destroyed? Stolen? Sprung a leak? Exploded? Drained?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk:
If you hadn't heard the gurgling sound, would you think that: the wine making had failed? Possibly, but I was not nervous about that. The wine maker had been tampered with? No. Destroyed? Possibly, see below. Stolen? No. Sprung a leak? No. Exploded? OTRT, and this is what I was nervous about. Drained? No.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exploded: popped a cork? Foamed over? Cracked? Clogged? Destroyed by internal pressure? External force? By falling down? Was there something wrong with it? Was it brittle? Was it too full?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk:
Exploded: popped a cork? In best case. Foamed over? No. Cracked? Possibly. Clogged? No. Destroyed by internal pressure? Yes. External force? No. By falling down? No. Was there something wrong with it? No. Was it brittle? No. Was it too full? No.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a higher risk of destruction at a certain point in the winemaking process? Did the gurgling indicate the risk had passed? Was it gurgling earlier? Were you waiting for it to either fail or start gurgling?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk:
Is there a higher risk of destruction at a certain point in the winemaking process? Yes. Did the gurgling indicate the risk had passed? No. Was it gurgling earlier? Yes. Were you waiting for it to either fail or start gurgling? Not when I woke up at night, but I indeed observe at certain point if it starts gurgling or not.
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you afraid that the grapes could have clogged the pipe? so that the gas building up in the bottle would eventually push out the cork?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sundowner:
Were you afraid that the grapes could have clogged the pipe? No. so that the gas building up in the bottle would eventually push out the cork? But that's exactly what I was worried about.

During early stage of winemaking, much of carbon dioxide is rapidly produced as a byproduct of transforming sugar into alcohol. This can even lead to explosion of the bottle.
Mimino (Mimino)
Username: Mimino

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you afraid that, for some reason, the carbon dioxide might not get out through the pipe? or not fast enough? because the pipe might be blocked?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mimino:
Were you afraid that, for some reason, the carbon dioxide might not get out through the pipe? or not fast enough? because the pipe might be blocked? Yes, exactly.
Now, how did the gurgling sound assure me that carbon dioxide was getting out through the pipe?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the kind of pipe with water in it, that will let gas bubble through? Those that are used to keep bacteria and mold from getting in, while letting gas escape?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk:
Is it the kind of pipe with water in it, that will let gas bubble through? Those that are used to keep bacteria and mold from getting in, while letting gas escape? Yes, exactly.

************SPOILER****************
Me and my husband try winemaking. During early stage of winemaking, much of carbon dioxide is rapidly produced as a byproduct of transforming sugar into alcohol. This can even lead to explosion of the bottle (what really happened many years ago to my father). However, air getting into the bottle can spoil the wine, so there are special water pipes used. Water inside the pipes let the gas out and does not let air enter with its bacteria. I was afraid that gas might not be getting out fast enought, but the sound of gurgling water in the pipe assured me that everything was alright.

Thanks for playing, especially to Sundowner, Mimino and Galfisk.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: