[Doriana] has a drink Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2014 » [Doriana] has a drink « Previous Next »

Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 805
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why did I drink almost half a liter of water in one gulp?

For our American puzzlers, that's approximately one pint. And for all the puzzlers: I can't seem to come up with difficult puzzles these days, but let's see how long this one takes.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to drink this water? Did you have to drink it? Is it relevant how did you get the water? Location relevant? Was there any relevant substance in the water?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 806
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to drink this water? noish Did you have to drink it? no, I was given a choice Is it relevant how did you get the water? no Location relevant? yes Was there any relevant substance in the water? no
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you in a hospital? Was it a kind of test?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 4474
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A "difficult puzzle" is in the eye (or brain) of the beholder, it's usually the ones with the simplest scenarios that end up being the most challenging to solve.

Was your choice to simply drink this water or not drink it? Or was it a choice to drink this or something else? Or to either drink this or nothing at all?

Was the water cold? Warm? Room temperature?
Did you do this to achieve a specific result?
Solo1 (Solo1)
Username: Solo1

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did this once when I bit into a particularly violent jalapeno pepper. But I don't think they are a part of German cuisine! Nor habaneros, either.
However, did you do this in conjunction with eating a meal?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redwine

Were you in a hospital? Was it a kind of test? no to both

Ixoye

A "difficult puzzle" is in the eye (or brain) of the beholder, it's usually the ones with the simplest scenarios that end up being the most challenging to solve. That's probably true.

Was your choice to simply drink this water or not drink it? yesish, but... Or was it a choice to drink this or something else? Or to either drink this or nothing at all? no to these

Was the water cold? Warm? no to these Room temperature? this
Did you do this to achieve a specific result? Not sure how to answer this, please rephrase / clarify what you mean by "specific result"

Solo1

I did this once when I bit into a particularly violent jalapeno pepper. But I don't think they are a part of German cuisine! Nor habaneros, either. Indeed they aren't, and I have heard that instead of drinking water, you should rather drink milk or eat a piece of bread. No jalapenos involved.

However, did you do this in conjunction with eating a meal? no
Konnie (Konnie)
Username: Konnie

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you drink the water from a bottle? A glass? Plastic cup? From a faucet? A tube? A garden hose? From an ocean/lake/river (i.e. you were underwater)?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you drink the water from a bottle? this, and it's relevant A glass? Plastic cup? From a faucet? A tube? A garden hose? From an ocean/lake/river (i.e. you were underwater)?
Konnie (Konnie)

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plastic bottle? Glass bottle? Did you use a straw?

You intentionally drank the water it seems, but did you mean to drink that much?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 809
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plastic bottle? this Glass bottle? Did you use a straw? no

You intentionally drank the water it seems correct, but did you mean to drink that much? yes
Sleepingbeaver (Sleepingbeaver)
Username: Sleepingbeaver

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you need the empty bottle for something else?
Were others waiting for you to finish the water?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 811
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you need the empty bottle for something else? yope, DOYD of "need"
Were others waiting for you to finish the water? noish
Sleepingbeaver (Sleepingbeaver)
Username: Sleepingbeaver

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you *use* the empty bottle for something else?
Did you put something else into the bottle? If yes: Was it solid? liquid?

Were you about to go to a place where bottles are not allowed? Were you in a hurry to go there?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 812
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you *use* the empty bottle for something else? no
Did you put something else into the bottle? no If yes: Was it solid? liquid?

Were you about to go to a place where bottles are not allowed? not bottles, but... Were you in a hurry to go there? no
Konnie (Konnie)

Post Number: 434
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Somewhere drinks in general are not allowed? So you finished the bottle quick before going in?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 813
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Somewhere drinks in general are not allowed? yope So you finished the bottle quick before going in? yes, but there was a more specific reason
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you about to go through security at an airport? Was this somewhere (such as here in the US) where it is forbidden to bring more than a certain amount of liquid in one's luggage?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 814
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you about to go no... through security at an airport? yes! Was this somewhere (such as here in the US) where it is forbidden to bring more than a certain amount of liquid in one's luggage? yes

You're almost there. Short recap: I was at an airport, but not about to go through security. And why exactly did I want to keep my bottle?
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to keep the bottle because it was yours? because it was special in some way? was there something written on the bottle?
Did you basically need an empty bottle? to fill in something else? did you buy the bottle at the airport? and needed to get rid of its content?
Would it also have been possible to pour the water into a toilet, instead?
Were you after the security check? in the boarding zone? in the plane already?
Or were you about to check in your luggage?
Relevant that you drank almost half a liter? Was the bottle open? did it leak?
Did you first want to put the bottle into your luggage? but then realized that it leaked? and, so, you had to drink it off?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 815
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to keep the bottle because it was yours? yope because it was special in some way? no was there something written on the bottle? no
Did you basically need an empty bottle? to fill in something else? did you buy the bottle at the airport? and needed to get rid of its content?
Would it also have been possible to pour the water into a toilet, instead? no to all of these
Were you after the security check? yes in the boarding zone? in the plane already?
Or were you about to check in your luggage? no
Relevant that you drank almost half a liter? The bottle was a 0.75 l bottle, and I drank all of the water that was left in it Was the bottle open? yes did it leak? no
Did you first want to put the bottle into your luggage? but then realized that it leaked? and, so, you had to drink it off? no to these
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you previously taken the bottle through security? If so, were you not meant to have done this? Did you realise after going through that you had the water? Did the security personnel miss it? Did you drink it so you wouldn't get in trouble for taking it through security? Did a security person ask you to drin the water? Were you thirsty at all?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you previously taken the bottle through security? yes If so, were you not meant to have done this? correct Did you realise after going through that you had the water? no, the security guy realised it Did the security personnel miss it? so, no Did you drink it so you wouldn't get in trouble for taking it through security? no Did a security person ask you to drin the water? they gave me the choice of either drinking it on the spot or throwing the whole bottle away Were you thirsty at all? not really
Galois (Galois)
Username: Galois

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to keep the bottle because of the deposit you paid for it?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 2998
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was drinking it intended to show that it really was just water?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 817
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to keep the bottle because of the deposit you paid for it? yes

Was drinking it intended to show that it really was just water? no, the security guy did not doubt that

********SPOILER********

When I went through the security check at an airport the other day, the security guy found a more-than-half full water bottle in my carry-on luggage that I had forgotten to empty. He gave me the choice of either drinking the water on the spot or throwing away the whole bottle (there was no sink nearby where I could have emptied it).

I don't like the idea of "throwing away" the 25 cent deposit I paid for the bottle because I usually give the money to charity, so I wanted to keep the bottle. My only choice was to drink its content as fast as possible.

Thanks for playing! =)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: