[Doriana] That's the evilest thing I can imagine!

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] That's the evilest thing I can imagine!

Postby Doriana » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:49 am

My old forum puzzle "That's the evilest thing I can imagine" was almost solved, so I'll $poyl it here.

Puzzle statement: Liz and Kate (both H/A/F) are getting increasingly frustrated. A satisfied grin spreads across Brad's (H/A/M) face as he slowly twists a small piece of plastic in his hand. What's going on?

********SPOILER********

Brad is a linguistics professor researching the intonation of emotion. For his research, he needs authentic recordings of emotional outbursts, so he sets up an experiment that is granted to provoke emotions: Two people, Liz and Kate, are placed in separate rooms, cannot see each other and can only communicate over microphones and headphones. One of them is given a Lego Technics kit and the other one is given a picture-based manual. They think the aim is to come up with a verbalized version of the manual within 20 minutes. What they don't know is that one of the pieces has been replaced with a similar-looking but non-working piece. So they try their best to assemble the Lego thing, but they get increasingly frustrated as time goes on - which is just what Brad had hoped for.

Thanks for playing!
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] That's the evilest thing I can imagine! [$poyl

Postby Konnie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:53 am

What a witty puzzle! And much safer way to get authentic emotional outbursts haha.
Konnie

Re: [Doriana] That's the evilest thing I can imagine! [$poyl

Postby Doriana » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks, glad you liked it, but the credit should go to the professor who came up with the experiment in the first place :)

And I should add that he had three different experimental groups: strangers, friends and couples. I wonder if he's responsible for any break-ups...
Doriana

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles