[WiZ] Acura for what ails ya

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] Acura for what ails ya

Postby WiZ » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:53 pm

A poor but rational man lands a job at a car dealership in early December. He then gives his 6-year-old daughter the key to a brand-new Acura Legend for Christmas. Why?

Quickie.
Last edited by WiZ on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Acura for what ails ya

Postby Westing1992 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:39 am

So that she could drive it in ten years?
So that no else could get the car (because the key is missing)?
Did the man do anything that could be considered illegal/unethical/liable to make him lose his job if found out?
Westing1992

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:57 am

So that she could drive it in ten years? no
So that no else could get the car (because the key is missing)? no
Did the man do anything that could be considered illegal/unethical/liable to make him lose his job if found out? no
WiZ

Postby wolfier » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:31 am

because the man works on car doors/keys and the key is a discard that no longer can start an actual car?
wolfier

Postby museoffire » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:03 am

Does the man have access to the car, not just the key? Will he in the future? Will the daughter?

Is the fact that it is an Acura Legend relevant, or could we substitute any other type of car? Is it relevant that Acura Legends aren't currently made? Does the puzzle take place now, or in the 80s/90s when it was?

Is the car drivable? If yes, does he intend for the daughter to drive it? Did he intend to drive it himself? Is the car broken, or nonexistent, or a toy or a model? Was the daughter born on February 29 so she is "six years old" despite having been alive for more than six years?
museoffire

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:00 am

Wolfier

because the man works on car doors/keys and the key is a discard that no longer can start an actual car? Indeed. But why would he think to give a key as a gift?

Museoffire

Does the man have access to the car, not just the key? no - pertinent Q Will he in the future? no Will the daughter? no

Is the fact that it is an Acura Legend relevant, or could we substitute any other type of car? it's only for historical accuracy - you would have to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the evolution of car keys for this information to give you a particular advantage Is it relevant that Acura Legends aren't currently made? no, but...Does the puzzle take place now no, or in the 80s/90s when it was? yes

Is the car drivable? no/FA If yes, does he intend for the daughter to drive it? Did he intend to drive it himself? Is the car broken, or nonexistent, or a toy or a model? n/a to all Was the daughter born on February 29 so she is "six years old" despite having been alive for more than six years? Very lateral thought, but no
WiZ

Postby irishelk » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Is there an unlock button on the key fob? If so, does it operate something else in the house that might be amusing to her? Like the garage door? Or one of her toys?

Will the key unlock something else? Will she use it for something other than a key? Will she use it at all? Will she keep it? Is it a clue to a different present?

Batteries relevant?
irishelk

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Is there an unlock button on the key fob? no (slightly surprised to learn that those were around in the 80s) If so, does it operate something else in the house that might be amusing to her? no Like the garage door? no Or one of her toys? no

Will the key unlock something else? no Will she use it for something other than a key? yes Will she use it at all? yes Will she keep it? Yes (until she breaks or loses it, as 6-year-olds are wont to do) Is it a clue to a different present? no

Batteries relevant? no
WiZ

Postby museoffire » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Is the only purpose of the key to be used by the daughter? Is it to be used on its own, or in conjunction with something else? Is it as a toy for the daughter? Would any six-year-old girl appreciate it, or is there something else specific about the daughter that is relevant?
museoffire

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:20 pm

Is the only purpose of the key to be used by the daughter? yes Is it to be used on its own this, or in conjunction with something else? Is it as a toy for the daughter? yes Would any six-year-old girl appreciate it probably, to the same extent, or is there something else specific about the daughter that is relevant? no
WiZ

Postby museoffire » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Does the key resemble something else? Is it particularly attractive? Does it have an unusual shape? Color? Logo/drawing/symbol? Another feature of its appearance? Does it make a relevant noise? Does it have moving parts? Lights? Relevant electronics? Is the key a standard Acura Legend key, or is there something special about it (besides the lack of associated car)?
Once we figure out why the daughter would like playing with the key, is there anything else left in the puzzle to solve?
museoffire

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:54 pm

Does the key resemble something else? no Is it particularly attractive? no Does it have an unusual shape? no Color? no Logo/drawing/symbol? no Another feature of its appearance? yope, DOYD appearance Does it make a relevant noise? no Does it have moving parts? yes Lights? More relevantly this Relevant electronics? no Is the key a standard Acura Legend key yes, or is there something special about it (besides the lack of associated car)? no
Once we figure out why the daughter would like playing with the key, is there anything else left in the puzzle to solve? no :)
WiZ

Postby wolfier » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:01 am

does the father also own a car that unlocks with a similar fob? so he can make it appear to his daughter that she can unlock it?
wolfier

Postby peter365 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Wolfier may well have this but I'll have a go just in case.....

Would the daughter use it at night? in darkness? Is she going to signal somebody? Would she be permitted to bring it to school? Is the game one of make believe?

Just to clarify, does the key interact with any other object to provide the play element?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Wolfier

does the father also own a car that unlocks with a similar fob? no so he can make it appear to his daughter that she can unlock it? no

I like the idea, though

Peter365

Would the daughter use it at night? yes (although not exclusively) in darkness? yes (although not exclusively) Is she going to signal somebody? Possibly Would she be permitted to bring it to school? Yes, although she would risk its being confiscated if she used it too muchIs the game one of make believe? no

Just to clarify, does the key interact with any other object to provide the play element? It does not need to, but often would
WiZ

Postby wolfier » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:44 am

was the element of play more relevant in the 80s/90s than it is now? if so, was it due to the car being made in that era, or is there any other piece of information about the 80s/90s needed? to the child, is there any significance that the father worked with those keys? did the child know it was a car key, and is it relevant to the way it was played?
wolfier

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:33 pm

was the element of play more relevant in the 80s/90s than it is now? not 'relevant' so much as 'novel' if so, was it due to the car being made in that era, or is there any other piece of information about the 80s/90s needed? no to the child, is there any significance that the father worked with those keys? no did the child know it was a car key, and is it relevant to the way it was played? irrelevant
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:50 am

Has the child a particular interest or hobby that gave birth to this type of play? Is she trying to recreate something she saw in a movie or TV show?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:19 am

Has the child a particular interest or hobby that gave birth to this type of play? no Is she trying to recreate something she saw in a movie or TV show? no
WiZ

Postby vever » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Does it matter that he got the job in early December?
That it was a christmas gift and not, for example, a birthday present?
Did the key have a built-in flashlight? Keyfinder? Laser pointer? Anything else?
Was it a flip key that could be sharpened and used as a stiletto? :twisted:
vever

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Vever

Welcome to the forum!

Does it matter that he got the job in early December? No (aside from showing he did not have much time to accumulate money or research gift ideas)
That it was a christmas gift and not, for example, a birthday present? no, this could work as a birthday puzzle
Did the key have a built-in flashlight? Keyfinder? Laser pointer? this Anything else?
Was it a flip key that could be sharpened and used as a stiletto? :twisted: I think you're going to fit right in to this forum

***** SPOILER *****

(From the primary source, as this is a true story)

"One year my dad worked for an Acura dealership, and in our stockings my sister and I both received a car key as a gift. Because it had a button on it that could light up a tiny green light on it! It was intended to light up the key hole so you could find it easier. But for a 6 year old girl, I could light up all sorts of things. A tiny spot on the wall! A little spot on my hand! I could shine it through the sheet and see it on the other side! The possibilities were endless. To be completely fair, it was a pretty neat little gadget that was pretty high tech for the mid-80s. But in hindsight it is pretty strange to give a car key to your kids as a Christmas present."

So, there we have it. Well done to Vever, and bonus points for solving a puzzle with your first post. Thanks to all who participated.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Acura for what ails ya [SOLVED]

Postby vever » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:59 pm

Thank you WiZ.
I stumbled upon this forum at work while trying to find lateral puzzles for a colleague.
vever

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 pm

I hope you stick around.

If you were after some of the classics, we had a list on the old forum before everything was transferred here.

http://www.lateralpuzzles.com/discus/me ... 1274988740

A slight variation on the above:

http://www.lateralpuzzles.com/discus/me ... 757.html?0
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:24 am

Nice solve and nice puzzle.

Would anyone believe me that a laser pointer was going to be my next guess?
peter365

Postby vever » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:31 am

peter365 wrote:Would anyone believe me that a laser pointer was going to be my next guess?

Somehow I believe you. ;)
Thanks!
vever

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:26 pm

Welcome, vever. Excellent puzzle!
JenBurdoo

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles