[IriskElk] Four Rooms

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IriskElk] Four Rooms

Postby irishelk » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:16 pm

Many people etrib every day, some a few times a year, some never.
I have etribbed very rarely in my life, mostly because of where I live.
It's almost impossible to be sure whether you've etribbed until a few minutes after you've done it.
Last edited by irishelk on Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishelk

Re: [IriskElk] Four Rooms

Postby Twilightseeker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:24 pm

Is etribbing a physical activity? a mental process? a social activity? does it involve a lot of movement? involve technology? involve speech? Can anyone etrib at anytime? do you need special permission? legal permission?

Does the climate of where you live keep you from etribbing? The fact that you live in a rural/urban environment? The temperature? the number of people around you? the type of housing you have (e.g. house, apartment, shack, mansion)?
Twilightseeker

Postby irishelk » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:19 pm

Twilightseeker

Is etribbing a physical activity? Yes. a mental process? No. a social activity? No. does it involve a lot of movement? Not really. involve technology? DOYD of technology. involve speech? No. Can anyone etrib at anytime? Not always, not right away. do you need special permission? No. legal permission? Noish.

Does the climate of where you live keep you from etribbing? No. The fact that you live in a rural/urban environment? Yope, this could be the reason for some people. The temperature? No. the number of people around you? No. the type of housing you have (e.g. house, apartment, shack, mansion)? Yes, this does impact my lack of etribbing.
irishelk

Postby peter365 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Is etribbing something that can only be done indoors? Does your occupation impact on your ability to do so? Is there varying degrees of etribbing ability? or is everybody pretty much at the same level ?

Is there a tangible by product of doing this? can you do it in front of other people? would you?

I'm a 46 year old, married Irish male, who works in financial services and lives in a semi-detached house, is it likely that I've etribbed ? from that description of me could you say for certain without knowing me?
peter365

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:52 pm

Can a person do this with their eyes closed? Could they do it blindfolded?
Can it be done while sitting? While lying down? While walking?
Does a person have to speak in order to do it?
Can a child do it? A teenager? An elderly person?
Can a short person do it? A tall person? A thin person? A fat person?
CoffeeBean

Postby Solong » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Does living on the coast, as I do, affect one's ability to etrib? Or living in the islands, as Twilightseeker does?
Can you do it at night? in the daylight? around the clock, or more likely at some times than at others?
Is the title relevant?
Solong

Postby WiZ » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:01 pm

Peter: If property conveyancing counts as 'financial services', then I'm not unconvinced that you and my boss are the same person.

Would one be more likely to etrib, or do so with greater frequency, in a house, apartment, shack, or mansion?
WiZ

Postby irishelk » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:24 pm

peter365

Is etribbing something that can only be done indoors? Yope, explore. Does your occupation impact on your ability to do so? It may. Is there varying degrees of etribbing ability? No. or is everybody pretty much at the same level ? This.

Is there a tangible by product of doing this? No. can you do it in front of other people? Yes. would you? Yes.

I'm a 46 year old, married Irish male, who works in financial services and lives in a semi-detached house, is it likely that I've etribbed ? from that description of me could you say for certain without knowing me? It is very likely that you've etribbed at some point, but possibly not very often. The only think I can say for certain is that that you don't do it daily.

CoffeeBean

Can a person do this with their eyes closed? Could they do it blindfolded? Yes to both, but probably more difficult.
Can it be done while sitting? No. While lying down? No. While walking? Yes, it usually is.
Does a person have to speak in order to do it? No.
Can a child do it? A teenager? An elderly person?
Can a short person do it? A tall person? A thin person? A fat person? Yes to all of the rest.

Solong

Does living on the coast, as I do, affect one's ability to etrib? Or living in the islands, as Twilightseeker does? Not directly, though either of those could make it more or less likely, depending on the specific place. Wow, that was vague.
Can you do it at night? in the daylight? around the clock, or more likely at some times than at others? All times possible. Very hard to say whether day or night is more common, depends on the specific situation.
Is the title relevant? It's a little baby hint.

WiZ

Peter: If property conveyancing counts as 'financial services', then I'm not unconvinced that you and my boss are the same person. What a twist!

Would one be more likely to etrib, or do so with greater frequency, in a house, apartment, shack, or mansion? Apartment likely, all the others unlikely to impossible. Good question.
irishelk

Postby jumpingjacks » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:51 pm

Are stairs involved in etribbing? Lifts? Fire escapes? Doors? Would a person etrib on the way out of the house? On their way back in? Most people living in apartments have to go through a main door, walk through a sort of common, no-man's land type area (I believe a UK comedy sitcom referred to it as "The Nether Zone") before going through their own door. Is the nether zone relevant? Is the main door relevant? Are flat buzzers relevant?
jumpingjacks

Postby Twilightseeker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:55 pm

Neighbors in the same building relevant? walls that are shared by other people? hallways outside of the different units?
Twilightseeker

Postby GalFisk » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:43 am

Noise relevant? Meeting neighbors? Avoiding them? Disturbing them? Greeting? Ignoring? Common/shared areas relevant? Can you etrib if noone else is around? Is etribbing fun? Annoying? Scary? Easy? Dangerous? Dumb? Human? Can an ape etrib? Can someone living in a tent do it? Can a homeless person do it?
GalFisk

Postby biograd » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:37 pm

Is etribbing something done intentionally? or something done unintentionally/by mistake? If the latter, is this the reason it is impossible to be aware of etribbing while doing it?
biograd

Postby irishelk » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:54 am

jumpingjacks

Are stairs involved in etribbing? Lifts? Neither directly, but both are relevant. Fire escapes? No. Doors? Yes.
Would a person etrib on the way out of the house? No. On their way back in? Possibly!
Most people living in apartments have to go through a main door, walk through a sort of common, no-man's land type area (I believe a UK comedy sitcom referred to it as "The Nether Zone") before going through their own door. Is the nether zone relevant? Not directly, but good word for it. Anthropologist/theorist Marc Augé would call it a "non-place." Is the main door relevant? Yes. Are flat buzzers relevant? No.

Twilightseeker

Neighbors in the same building relevant? walls that are shared by other people? hallways outside of the different units? No to all.

GalFisk

Noise relevant? No.
Meeting neighbors? Avoiding them? Disturbing them? Greeting? Ignoring? No to all. Common/shared areas relevant? Just the front door.
Can you etrib if noone else is around? Yes. Is etribbing fun? Not really, I find it a bit amusing. Annoying? No. Scary? No, in fact for some people it is relevantly less scary. Easy? Yes. Dangerous? Dumb? No to rest.
Human? It is an almost uniquely human action, but... Can an ape etrib? ...yes. Can someone living in a tent do it? Yes, but not in their tent. Can a homeless person do it? Yes, but not outside.

biograd

Is etribbing something done intentionally? Yope. It is an intentional action. or something done unintentionally/by mistake? The fact that you are etribbing, however, is accidental. If the latter, is this the reason it is impossible to be aware of etribbing while doing it? Yes--not impossible, but usually not the case.

In fact, I should make a slight CORRECTION to the puzzle statement. In some cases, people can know they are etribbing as they do it. I typically cannot.
irishelk

Postby Twilightseeker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:09 am

Does it have something to do with the front/outside of the front door? Is it something to do with the keyhole? key? the peephole thing you look out of? (I can't remember the real name for this, sorry.) the door handle/doorknob? Screen door relevant?
Twilightseeker

Postby irishelk » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:05 am

Twilightseeker

Does it have something to do with the front/outside of the front door? Is it something to do with the keyhole? key? the peephole thing you look out of? (I can't remember the real name for this, sorry.) I would say it's a peephole. :mrgreen: the door handle/doorknob? Screen door relevant? No to all, no specific part of the door relevant.
irishelk

Postby Twilightseeker » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:42 am

So it is easier to etrib or at least more likely if you live in an apartment? Would any apartment work? For example, I live in a very small building with eight units. There are four on top and four on the bottom, each unit leading directly outdoors to an outdoor hallway that leads down a flight of stairs on the side of the building (for those on top). Is it likely I have etribbed? Can you make an educated guess based on the information here?
Twilightseeker

Postby irishelk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:15 pm

Twilightseeker

So it is easier to etrib or at least more likely if you live in an apartment? Sometimes, yes. Would any apartment work? But no.
For example, I live in a very small building with eight units. There are four on top and four on the bottom, each unit leading directly outdoors to an outdoor hallway that leads down a flight of stairs on the side of the building (for those on top). Is it likely I have etribbed? You may (likely) have in your life, but not in your building. Can you make an educated guess based on the information here? I can only guarantee you haven't done it at home. I have no proof about whether you've ever etribbed.
irishelk

Postby Twilightseeker » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:36 am

Does it involve having indoors hallways or lobbies? Would these be sine qua non for etribbing, or at least make it easier to do so?
Twilightseeker

Postby irishelk » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:50 am

Twilightseeker

Does it involve having indoors hallways or lobbies? No. Would these be sine qua non for etribbing, or at least make it easier to do so? No to both; although there are likely hallways and lobbies in the building you etrib in, they aren't directly related.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:07 am

Do you need a door in order to etrib? If so, does it need a lock? Doorknob/handle? Does it need to lead somewhere relevant? Does it need to be the only door between two areas? Can you etrib if the door is locked and you cannot unlock it? Can you etrib if the door cannot be fully closed? If the door is missing? Or stuck fully open?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:55 pm

GalFisk

Do you need a door in order to etrib? Not technically, but one is always present. If so, does it need a lock? No. Doorknob/handle? No. Does it need to lead somewhere relevant? YES.
Does it need to be the only door between two areas? No, but if it isn't, then the other door might be the relevant one. Can you etrib if the door is locked and you cannot unlock it? No. Can you etrib if the door cannot be fully closed? Yes. If the door is missing? Yes. Or stuck fully open?Yes.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:18 pm

Doorway amnesia relevant? Forgetting something for another reason? Does the door need to lead: outside? Into a home? Into a room? Do you need to go through the doorway in order to etrib?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:04 pm

GalFisk

Doorway amnesia relevant? No. Forgetting something for another reason? No.
Does the door need to lead: outside? Into a home? Into a room? No to all.
Do you need to go through the doorway in order to etrib? Yes.
irishelk

Postby jumpingjacks » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Do you etrib just before you go through the doorway? After you have passed through? While you are passing through?
Does etribbing involve peering around doorways? Walking through backwards? Sidestepping?
Does the door have to lead into a particular room? Eg a utility room?
Is it relevant where the doorway leads from as well as to?
jumpingjacks

Postby GalFisk » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:50 pm

Do you need to touch the doorway in order to etrib? To touch something else? To be distracted? To do something clumsy?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:41 pm

jumpingjacks

Do you etrib just before you go through the doorway? After you have passed through? While you are passing through? This, in fact walking through the doorway is the action of etribbing.
Does etribbing involve peering around doorways? Walking through backwards? Sidestepping? No to rest.
Does the door have to lead into a particular room? Eg a utility room? No, but it is the front door of a building.
Is it relevant where the doorway leads from as well as to? Yesish, in that it leads into the building.

GalFisk

Do you need to touch the doorway in order to etrib? To touch something else? To be distracted? To do something clumsy? No to all.
irishelk

Postby Twilightseeker » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:13 pm

So, is there another element to etribbing in addition to walk through the doorway? Is it a mental state? an assumption? another condition that is relevant? a condition of the walker? a condition of the door/room/surroundings?
Twilightseeker

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:55 pm

Can one etrib in a building similar to an apartment block, such as an office building or a medical services block? Must it be multi-story? Is security relevant? Could one etrib in a student dormitory? An overnight summer camp? A hotel?

If an apartment block, house or other residence is required, are non-residential areas of the building relevant? For example, could one etrib on the roof or in the laundry room?
JenBurdoo

Postby irishelk » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Twilightseeker

So, is there another element to etribbing in addition to walk through the doorway? Yes.
Is it a mental state? an assumption? another condition that is relevant? Yes. a condition of the walker? a condition of the door/room/surroundings? Yes to surroundings, no to rest.

JenBurdoo

Can one etrib in a building similar to an apartment block, such as an office building or a medical services block? In many such buildings, yes, but not all. Must it be multi-story? Yes. Is security relevant? No. Could one etrib in a student dormitory? Possibly, but unlikely. An overnight summer camp? Unlikely. A hotel? Definitely in many hotels.

If an apartment block, house or other residence is required, are non-residential areas of the building relevant? No. For example, could one etrib on the roof Not outside on the roof, no. or in the laundry room? Only if there is an outside entrance.
irishelk

Postby jumpingjacks » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:57 am

Are other people relevant? When you etrib, are you walking through the doorway by yourself?
Would an etribber be carrying anything? A bag?
jumpingjacks

Postby irishelk » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:00 pm

jumpingjacks

Are other people relevant? No. When you etrib, are you walking through the doorway by yourself? Yes; there could be other people with you, irr.
Would an etribber be carrying anything? A bag? Irr.

Hint if you want it:

Etrib (verb, 2016, American): To walk into a building which ___ _ __________ _____.
irishelk

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:31 pm

Relevant at which level is the doorway? ground level? underground?
Acridian9

Postby irishelk » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:50 pm

Acridian9

Relevant at which level is the doorway? No. ground level? underground? Either works, ground level probably more common.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:36 pm

Is your footwear relevant? Weather conditions? Floor numbers/naming relevant?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:51 am

GalFisk

Is your footwear relevant? No. Weather conditions? No. Floor numbers/naming relevant? Yes! (numbers)
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:35 am

Numbers: negative? Positive? Zero? Unlucky numbers? Which number is given to the ground floor? Which floor counts as the ground floor?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:09 pm

GalFisk
Numbers: negative? Positive? Zero? Unlucky numbers? This is relevant. Which number is given to the ground floor? Which floor counts as the ground floor? Irr to rest.
irishelk

Postby Grip » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:29 pm

Ahh, is 13 relevant? is it relevant that many large buildings "skip" the 13th floor by not calling it or labeling it as such?
Grip

Postby irishelk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:41 pm

Grip

Ahh, is 13 relevant? is it relevant that many large buildings "skip" the 13th floor by not calling it or labeling it as such? It is very relevant!

Care to put it all together? And, for extra credit, why do I very rarely etrib because of where I live?
irishelk

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Because in some coutries 13 is not an unlucky number?
Acridian9

Postby irishelk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:57 pm

Acridian9

Because in some coutries 13 is not an unlucky number? No.
irishelk

Postby Grip » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:58 pm

Is etribbing walking into a building that has "no" 13th floor? and you don't do this because you live in an area with very few buildings tall enough to have 13 or 14 stories?
Grip

Postby irishelk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:47 pm

Grip

Is etribbing walking into a building that has "no" 13th floor? and you don't do this because you live in an area with very few buildings tall enough to have 13 or 14 stories? Yup that's it.

***************************SPOILER

See above, well done everyone! The neologism comes from "entering a triskaidekaphobic building."

And as a random side note, the reason that I do this very rarely is because, unlike many large cities, my hometown of DC has no skyscrapers and very few truly tall buildings. People who live here will typically give one of two reasons for this: either 1) There is a law that no building can be taller than the Washington Monument or 2) Since the city is built in a swamp, any sufficiently heavy building would just sink into the ground. I firmly believe that number 2 is true, but the actual reason is that the original designers of the city just wanted a more majestic, sprawling look--think World's Fair architecture as opposed to cramped alleys. Most modern architects (not all *cough cough Trump hotel cough*) respect that design ethos.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:37 pm

Good one!
GalFisk

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles