[rcb] Beer for my horses

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[rcb] Beer for my horses

Postby rcb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:08 am

It's definitely better to be polite, for a change.
Last edited by rcb on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
rcb

Re: [rcb] Beer for my horses

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 pm

Are you involved in this puzzle at all?
Was someone particularly polite? Impolite? More than one person?
Did this happen at a place of business? On public transportation?
Balin

Postby rcb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:42 pm

Are you involved in this puzzle at all? Other than hosting it, no.
Was someone particularly polite? Yes Impolite? No More than one person? No
Did this happen at a place of business? Yes-ish On public transportation? No
rcb

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:29 pm

Did this happen at an office? A law office? A doctor's office? A hospital?
Balin

Postby rcb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:04 pm

Did this happen at an office? A law office? This one is closest, but a FA is being present in all these question s A doctor's office? A hospital?
rcb

Postby Twilightseeker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Was someone polite in a physical location? Polite online? Polite their words (spoken or written) or by their actions, or both? Were they polite in general or toward some specific person or people?
Twilightseeker

Postby rcb » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:02 am

Was someone polite in a physical location? No, that was the FA Polite online? No Polite their words Yes (spoken No or written This one) or by their actions, or both? Were they polite in general No or toward some specific person or people? Yes
rcb

Postby Twilightseeker » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:06 am

So it was via writing? to an office?
Twilightseeker

Postby rcb » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:17 am

So it was via writing? Yes to an office? No
rcb

Postby Twilightseeker » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:10 am

To a court? A university? A school? An individual? Is law relevant?
Twilightseeker

Postby rcb » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:59 am

To a court? No A university? No A school? No An individual? Yes Is law relevant? Yes
rcb

Postby Twilightseeker » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:39 am

Was it a letter or an email sent to a lawyer? a paralegal? a judge? another person working in law?
Twilightseeker

Postby rcb » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:15 am

Was it a letter This one. No to the rest. or an email sent to a lawyer? a paralegal? a judge? another person working in law?
rcb

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:39 pm

Was the letter sent from a lawyer? Paralegal? Judge? Other person working in law?
Balin

Postby rcb » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Was the letter sent from a lawyer? Yes Paralegal? Judge? Other person working in law? No to the rest
rcb

Postby Twilightseeker » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:31 am

Was it sent to the recipient's home? place of work? Is the recipient's profession relevant?
Twilightseeker

Postby rcb » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:50 am

Was it sent to the recipient's home? Assume this. Not really relevant, as long as it reached its intended recipient. place of work? Is the recipient's profession relevant? Yes
rcb

Postby Twilightseeker » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:31 am

Is the recipient a businessman/woman of some sort? A teacher? A researcher? Someone involved in criminal justice? Someone who works in a white collar position? blue collar? neither? Are they are a criminal?
Twilightseeker

Postby rcb » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:22 pm

Is the recipient a businessman/woman of some sort? A teacher? A researcher? Someone involved in criminal justice? Someone who works in a white collar position? blue collar? neither? Are they are a criminal? No to all.
To cut a long story short - since the puzzle is not really about this guy - he was a writer.
rcb

Postby Balin » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Did he make a suggestion about a plot point in one of the writer's works? And the writer incorporated the suggestion into his next book?
Balin

Postby rcb » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:59 pm

Did he make a suggestion about a plot point in one of the writer's works? And the writer incorporated the suggestion into his next book? No to both.
rcb

Postby Twilightseeker » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:15 am

Had other lawyers sent letters to this writer before? Were they not as polite? Or was the letter-writer in this case more polite than he had been before? Was he writing to inform the recipient of a legal matter? regarding his written works?
Twilightseeker

Postby rcb » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:23 pm

Had other lawyers sent letters to this writer before? Irrel. Were they not as polite? Or was the letter-writer in this case more polite than he had been before? He was unusually polite Was he writing to inform the recipient of a legal matter? Yes regarding his written works? Yes
rcb

Postby rcb » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:48 am

A short recap:

Established: a lawyer, in a letter to a writer, in which she informed him about a legal matter, proved herself unusually polite. The matter was related to his written works. The plot of any of his written works is irrelevant.

Remaining: what was the legal matter about, and why her politeness proved exceedingly useful (in my mind, at least)?
rcb

Postby GalFisk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:05 am

Copyright relevant? Sales? Contracts? Printing? Plagiarism? Had the writer done something wrong? Been wronged? Did the writer hire the lawyer? Know the lawyer?
GalFisk

Postby rcb » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Copyright relevant? This is closest, though I don't think this is the technical term Sales? Contracts? Printing? Plagiarism? Had the writer done something wrong? Yes Been wronged? No to this and to the rest Did the writer hire the lawyer? Know the lawyer?
rcb

Postby GalFisk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:19 am

Relevant what the writer wrote about? Libel relevant? Did the writer write for a company? Did he write books? Poems? News stories? Satire? Humor? Propaganda? Facts? Lies?
GalFisk

Postby rcb » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:54 am

Relevant what the writer wrote about? No! very good question Libel relevant? Did the writer write for a company? Did he write books? Yes Poems? News stories? Satire? Humor? Propaganda? Facts? Lies? All the rest are irrelevant.

Hint: The only relevant thing is that he wrote and published a book. What he wrote is irrelevant (but to be true to the story, it was a novel)
rcb

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:25 pm

Is the title relevant? Equestrianism or drinking?

Was something incorrect about the book? Illegal? Something in the plot of the story? Did the lawyer correct the author? Is the novel a mystery or thriller? Involve law, lawyers, or crime? Was the letter a fan letter, or a legal one? If the latter, a warning or instruction? Did the lawyer represent anyone relevant, Was she writing on her own behalf? Could the letter be said to be humorous, or sent in fun?
JenBurdoo

Postby rcb » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:08 am

Is the title relevant? To the puzzle, no. To the story, yes. Equestrianism or drinking? The latter.

Was something incorrect about the book? Illegal? Yes Something in the plot of the story? Did the lawyer correct the author? Is the novel a mystery or thriller? Irrel. Involve law, lawyers, or crime? Irrel. Was the letter a fan letter, or a legal one? The latter. If the latter, a warning or instruction? The former is closer. It was a cease-and-desist letter. Did the lawyer represent anyone relevant Yes, Was she writing on her own behalf? Could the letter be said to be humorous, or sent in fun?

All unanswered are a no.
rcb

Postby GalFisk » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:14 am

Was the book about someone real? Living? A real event? Did it contain relevant lies or omissions?
GalFisk

Postby rcb » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:43 am

Was the book about someone real? Living? A real event? Did it contain relevant lies or omissions?

All irrelevant.
rcb

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:58 am

Is the genre of the book relevant? Was the cease-and-desist to prevent publication? Distribution? Association of the book, plot or author with someone or something?
JenBurdoo

Postby rcb » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:38 am

Is the genre of the book relevant? No. It was a novel, the kind of which is irrel. Was the cease-and-desist to prevent publication? No. Distribution? Yes Association of the book Yes, explore and beware FA, plot No or author No with someone No or something Yes?
rcb

Postby GalFisk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:14 am

Title of the book relevant? Did the politeness affect the outcome of the case? Of other cases? The career of the lawyer? Was the letter relevantly read by anyone besides the recipient?
GalFisk

Postby rcb » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:52 am

Title of the book relevant? No Did the politeness affect the outcome of the case? Irrel. Of other cases? I don't know, irrel. The career of the lawyer? Irrel. Was the letter relevantly read by anyone besides the recipient? It was read by many, me included. Its unusual politeness is relevant.
rcb

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:51 pm

Is the nature of the politeness relevant? For example, was sarcasm used? Was the language condescending? Or was she genuinely trying to help (him? Someone else? Herself)?
JenBurdoo

Postby GalFisk » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Was the letter read by more people because it was polite? Did the author comply with the letter? Relevant? Did the letter relevantly induce politeness in others?
GalFisk

Postby rcb » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:33 pm

Is the nature of the politeness relevant? Not really For example, was sarcasm used? No. Was the language condescending? No. Or was she genuinely trying to help (him? Yes Someone else? No - ish. See next Herself In the end, yes. Or maybe her client.)?

Was the letter read by more people because it was polite? Possibly, it was a bit extraordinary Did the author comply with the letter? I don't know. Relevant? No. Did the letter relevantly induce politeness in others? Possibly, but irrel anyway.

Hint: Try figuring out what the conflict was.
rcb

Postby jumpingjacks » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:31 am

Was the title of the novel a trademarked phrase? Is cover art relevant? Did the author / his publishers use a picture belonging to someone else? Was the lawyer representing this someone else?
jumpingjacks

Postby rcb » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:04 am

Was the title of the novel a trademarked phrase? No Is cover art relevant? Yes Did the author / his publishers use a picture belonging to someone else? Yes Was the lawyer representing this someone else? and Yes!

******* SPOILER *******

Patrick Wensink's novel Broken Piano for President used as its cover a design taken straight out from the famous label of Jack Daniel's.

Of course, a cease-and-desist letter soon followed, in which the lawyer representing the company took a very unusual approach, part of which consisted in the company offering to support some of the expenses for changing the cover design, should the author be so kind and do so.

Certainly, Jack Daniel's understood the potential PR value of this kind of response, and it was right about that. It received lots of good publicity, and the coverage was also helping the author to arrive at some point in top 20 best selling authors on Amazon.

You can see the similarities here:

http://i1.wp.com/loweringthebar.net/wp- ... e5970b.jpg

And the actual letter here:

https://brokenpianoforpresident.files.w ... e-big1.jpg

The title referenced Toby Keith's song, which includes the verses : "Whiskey for my men / Beer for my horses"

Thanks to all who participated and to jumpingjacks for providing the final details.
rcb

Re: [rcb] Beer for my horses (SOLVED)

Postby Twilightseeker » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:14 am

What an unusual approach. But effective. Good puzzle!
Twilightseeker

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles