[WiZ] The Kate is my Sheppard

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] The Kate is my Sheppard

Postby WiZ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:18 am

Kate Sheppard was an early suffragette who led the charge which resulted in New Zealand being the first independent state in the world to grant universal suffrage, in 1893.

We're rather proud of her. She features on our $10 note, and one of the least affordable apartment complexes in Wellington is named after her.

We also have quite a number of memorials to her around the Wellington central business district. Funnily enough, they're much more likely to be seen by visitors than residents, even if they find themselves in the exact same place.

Why should this be so?
Last edited by WiZ on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] The Kate is my Sheppard

Postby Twilightseeker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:00 am

Is it because of how they are physically placed? Like more upward or downward? Do residents prefer not to glance in that direction for some specific reason? Do they *see* them but not notice them? Sunglasses involved (lol)?

Are the memorials to her in the typical sense of a memorial, like a small monument set up with a plaque or something?
Twilightseeker

Postby WiZ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:05 am

Is it because of how they are physically placed? Like more upward or downward? no Do residents prefer not to glance in that direction for some specific reason? yesish Do they *see* them but not notice them? this is also probably true, but not key to the solution Sunglasses involved (lol)? no

Are the memorials to her in the typical sense of a memorial, like a small monument set up with a plaque or something? yesish (would be keen to see some examples of memorials in an atypical sense)
WiZ

Postby Twilightseeker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:27 am

Are the memorials in places that locals consider obnoxious, irritating, dangerous, unpleasant? Are they "touristy" places were residents don't have any interest to go? Are they on the pathway of maybe a tour guide who points them out to visitors, but where residents don't care to inspect much?

Are the memorials inside of buildings? outdoors?
Twilightseeker

Postby WiZ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:36 am

Are the memorials in places that locals consider obnoxious, irritating, dangerous, unpleasant? I hope not, they're all over the main street Are they "touristy" places were residents don't have any interest to go? no Are they on the pathway of maybe a tour guide who points them out to visitors, but where residents don't care to inspect much? no

Are the memorials inside of buildings? outdoors? outdoors
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:36 am

Navigation relevant? Traffic? Public transport? Are they seen by people who are unfamiliar with their surroundings? Are they near street signs?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:38 am

Navigation relevant? yes Traffic? yes Public transport? no Are they seen by people who are unfamiliar with their surroundings? yes (and those who aren't) Are they near street signs? yes, often
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:46 am

Do locals not need to look in their direction? Street names relevant? Foot traffic? Car? Bicycle?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:47 am

Do locals not need to look in their direction? yope Street names relevant? no Foot traffic? this, chiefly Car? Bicycle? these are involved more indirectly
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:51 am

Do locals not need to take a close look? A long look? Is there relevant text near the memorials? Relevant numbers? Signs? Symbols?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:04 am

Do locals not need to take a close look? A long look? by rights, they should be looking as closely as the visitors Is there relevant text near the memorials? no Relevant numbers? no Signs? Symbols? yes to both - DOYD 'near'
WiZ

Postby Twilightseeker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:11 am

Are they nearby a map or directional signs? Street signs?
Twilightseeker

Postby WiZ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:14 am

Are they nearby a map or directional signs? no Street signs? yes (although this is not key to the solution)
WiZ

Postby Twilightseeker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:37 am

Are they on the side of the roads? Is it relevant what types of transportation is chiefly used by locals versus visitors? Do visitors use a different mode of transport?
Twilightseeker

Postby rcb » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:09 am

Is she associated with a specific symbol? (like St, Andrew's cross?) Are there such memorials in other parts of the city (not just on the main street, or the city centre)? Are there such memorials in other cities? Are the memorials on the ground (such as a specific pavement?) Or on some fixtures of the road, like sewer caps (thinking here of the Rome ones, which are marked SPQR)? Failing these, are they affixed to buildings? To vehicles? To poles? To trees? Is she present on transportation tickets? On traffic lights?

Can one, unaware of her status, ascertain her name from the memorials? Her deeds? When she lived?
rcb

Postby peter365 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:22 am

In my experience (Dublin) tourists tend to pay more attention to crossing signals than locals who jaywalk so i'm guessing that she appears on pedestrian crossing lights?

After posting I noticed RCB had asked about traffic lights.
peter365

Postby WiZ » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Twilightseeker

Are they on the side of the roads? yes Is it relevant what types of transportation is chiefly used by locals versus visitors? no Do visitors use a different mode of transport? no

rcb

Is she associated with a specific symbol? (like St, Andrew's cross?) no Are there such memorials in other parts of the city (not just on the main street, or the city centre)? no Are there such memorials in other cities? I've been in other cities that employ a similar tactic - Vienna was one such place Are the memorials on the ground (such as a specific pavement?) no Or on some fixtures of the road, like sewer caps (thinking here of the Rome ones, which are marked SPQR)? no Failing these, are they affixed to buildings? To vehicles? To poles? this To trees? Is she present on transportation tickets? On traffic lights? yesish

Can one, unaware of her status, ascertain her name from the memorials? Her deeds? When she lived? no - they can ascertain her silhouette :P

Peter

In my experience (Dublin) tourists tend to pay more attention to crossing signals than locals who jaywalk so i'm guessing that she appears on pedestrian crossing lights? You know my mind well, Peter.

***** SPOILER *****

At signalled pedestrian crossings in downtown Wellington, the green 'go' figure is the silhouette of Kate Sheppard. She is more likely to be seen by visitors, who tend to observe the crossing signals, than locals, who jaywalk.

Great job, Peter, for the solution, and thank you everyone else for playing, and some quick groundwork.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] The Kate is my Sheppard [SOLVED]

Postby peter365 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:46 am

Just google imaged this , that's really cool.
peter365

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles