[WiZ] For sale: Golden shoes. Stolen.

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] For sale: Golden shoes. Stolen.

Postby WiZ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:29 am

How did financial hardship drive a student to legally adopt his Facebook pseudonym?
Last edited by WiZ on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] For sale: Golden shoes. Stolen.

Postby Tiger » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:31 am

Does he have a "fake" Facebook name? If yes:
-relevant why?
-so that schools cannot find him (i.e. during the college admissions process)?
-is it punny?
Tiger

Postby WiZ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:34 am

Does he have a "fake" Facebook name? yes (inasmuch as his account is not in his real name) If yes:
-relevant why? no
-so that schools cannot find him (i.e. during the college admissions process)? no
-is it punny? irrelevant
WiZ

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:12 am

Is Facebook's recent crackdown on pseudonyms relevant?
Is it relevant that he is a student?
Is the student the one suffering from financial hardship? Someone related to the student? A friend of his? Someone he knows? Is it one person suffering from financial hardship?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:14 am

Is Facebook's recent crackdown on pseudonyms relevant? no
Is it relevant that he is a student? no
Is the student the one suffering from financial hardship? yes Someone related to the student? A friend of his? Someone he knows? no to these Is it one person suffering from financial hardship? yes, relevantly
WiZ

Postby LemonCurry » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:15 am

Was the Facebook account named after a Person? Animal? Place? Business? Group? Object?
Did he make money from adopting his pseudonym? Get something for free? Get something cheaper?
LemonCurry

Postby WiZ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Was the Facebook account named after a Person? this Animal? Place? Business? Group? Object?
Did he make money from adopting his pseudonym? no Get something for free? no Get something cheaper? yes, in the end
WiZ

Postby Westing1992 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Is the Facebook name shorter than his real name? Is the person the Facebook named after famous?
Did he need to buy something with his name on it, but changed it to get a cheaper price?
Could what he did be considered a type of fraud?
Westing1992

Postby WiZ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:15 am

Is the Facebook name shorter than his real name? irrelevant Is the person the Facebook named after famous? Yes (but irrelevant)
Did he need to buy something with his name on it, but changed it to get a cheaper price? no, but explore this line
Could what he did be considered a type of fraud? no - it was all quite legal
WiZ

Postby Zanreo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:24 am

Did he want to buy something? But could get it cheaper with a different name? Could buy it at all with this name? Relevant what letter it started with?
Zanreo

Postby psymann » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Had he been given something in the name of his pseudonym, and it was financially sensible for him to change his name to match the gift, than to alter the gift or rebuy it in his own name?

[Edit: or same question with 'bought' instead of 'given'. Perhaps I should have gone with 'acquired'.]
psymann

Postby WiZ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:22 pm

Zanreo

Did he want to buy something? yope But could get it cheaper with a different name? yope Could buy it at all with this name? he could buy it with either name Relevant what letter it started with? no

Psymann

Had he been given something in the name of his pseudonym, and it was financially sensible for him to change his name to match the gift, than to alter the gift or rebuy it in his own name? I had briefly forgotten how adept you were at solving my puzzles.

***** SPOILER *****

Adam Armstrong, a student, had a registered Facebook account in the name of actor Adam West as a joke. His girlfriend's stepfather had bought him a plane ticket in his name as it appeared on Facebook. It was considerably cheaper for him to change his name by deed poll and register a fast-tracked passport in his new name than pay Ryanair's correction fee.

Well done, Psymann, and thank you everyone else for playing.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] For sale: Golden shoes. Stolen. [SOLVED]

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:11 am

Good one!
I assume this would also be some sort of indictment on Ryanair, given some of the other tales I've heard about it.
Balin

Re: [WiZ] For sale: Golden shoes. Stolen. [SOLVED]

Postby psymann » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:25 am

To be fair, everyone else did the hard work - I just turned up at the end for the tap-in ;-)

I do vaguely remember that being in the news now you mention the names; perhaps my subconscious had remembered it more clearly. I was reading something the other day about similar problems for writers who use pen-names - because they then start getting all sorts of stuff - from fan mail to royalty cheques - in the name of their pen-name, which means similarly they have to work out if they're going to break cover in order to bank their money, or start opening bank accounts in made-up names ;-)

There are stranger reasons to change your name to your facebook pseudonym, it seems - google "Jemmaroid Von Laalaa" for a similar bizarre story :-o
psymann

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles