[Balin] Battle of the bulges

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Battle of the bulges

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:42 pm

Because of bulges, my hands get very wet every morning. Explain.

"My" = me, Balin (H/A/M)
And a preemptive get-your-minds-out-of-the-gutter.
Balin

Re: [Balin] Battle of the bulges

Postby Grip » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:05 pm

Are the bulges in your clothing? in the floor? ceiling? wall(s)? your bed?

Wet = from plain ole H2O? from the rain? a sink faucet? toilet?

Are animals relevant? if so, pets?
Grip

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Are the bulges in your clothing? in the floor? ceiling? wall(s)? your bed? No to all

Wet = from plain ole H2O? from the rain? a sink faucet? toilet? None of these

Are animals relevant? if so, pets? No to both
Balin

Postby jumpingjacks » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:31 pm

Giggle. I wasn't even thinking it until you told us to get our minds out of the gutter...

So the wetness is not due to water? Is it something that could be considered a beverage? juice? coffee? tea? milk? Are they wet due to bodily fluids? sweat? blood? tears? urine? something...else? (I'm sorry :D )

Are these bulges undesirable? Are all the bulges in the same place? Are they the same type of bulges? How many bulges are we referring to - two? three? four? five? more?

Is a car relevant? A bicycle? Some mode of transport?
jumpingjacks

Postby GalFisk » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:13 pm

Does any part of your body except your hands get wet? Do you want your hands to get wet? Do the bulges consist of liquid? Contain liquid? Is the liquid cold? Hot? Do you dip your hands into it? Does it stream? Spray? Slosh? Seep? Wick?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:13 am

Giggle. I wasn't even thinking it until you told us to get our minds out of the gutter... When I originally came up with the puzzle statement, it sounded significantly naughtier.

So the wetness is not due to water? Right.
Is it something that could be considered a beverage? No juice? coffee? tea? milk?
Are they wet due to bodily fluids? sweat? blood? tears? urine? something...else? Something else. (I'm sorry :D ) Not "that" something else...

Are these bulges undesirable? DOYD of "undesirable," but I'd unequivocally say Yes Are all the bulges in the same place? Yope Are they the same type of bulges? Yes
How many bulges are we referring to - two? This three? four? five? more?

Is a car relevant? A bicycle? Some mode of transport? No to all

Does any part of your body except your hands get wet? Yes Do you want your hands to get wet? I'd prefer them to stay drier, but I don't really have a choice Do the bulges consist of liquid? No Contain liquid? No
Is the liquid cold? Hot? Generally room-temperature Do you dip your hands into it? No Does it stream? Spray? Slosh? Seep? Wick? None of these relevantly
Balin

Postby jumpingjacks » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:20 am

Is there a particular morning routine that involves this bulgy wetness? Preparing breakfast? Eating breakfast? Brushing your teeth? Washing your face? Having a shower? Making your bed? Putting on clothes? Morning exercise? Leaving the house?
jumpingjacks

Postby GalFisk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:33 pm

Does the liquid contain a significant amount of water? Is it drinkable? Toxic? Is it oil? Oil-based? Does it evaporate? Is it just sitting still? Are the bulges submerged in the liquid? Do you touch the bulges? Do your arms get wet? Your feet? Is the liquid a lubricant? Is it inside a machine? Is it used by a machine? Is it room temperature because it sits in room temperature? Is it used to transfer heat? Is it the same liquid every time? Or is some or all of it new?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Is there a particular morning routine that involves this bulgy wetness? Yes
Preparing breakfast? Eating breakfast? Brushing your teeth? Washing your face? Having a shower? Making your bed? Putting on clothes? Morning exercise? Leaving the house? None of these, actually

Does the liquid contain a significant amount of water? Yes
Is it drinkable? It's not supposed to be drunk, but theoretically it could be Toxic? No
Is it oil? No Oil-based? No
Does it evaporate? Not as part of its normal use Is it just sitting still? No
Are the bulges submerged in the liquid? Eventually! Do you touch the bulges? Yope!
Do your arms get wet? No Your feet? No
Is the liquid a lubricant? No Is it inside a machine? No Is it used by a machine? No Is it room temperature because it sits in room temperature? When not in use, Yes
Is it used to transfer heat? No
Is it the same liquid every time? It's the same type of liquid but... Or is some or all of it new? ...new liquid itself. Good q.
Balin

Postby Grip » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Is the liquid some kind of dressing? condiment? olive oil?

is the liquid scented? is it a perfume or cologne of some kind?

is shaving relevant? soap? shaving cream? aftershave?

Does this occur in a specific room? more than one room? could it happen anywhere in the house?
Grip

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Is the liquid some kind of dressing? condiment? olive oil? No to all

is the liquid scented? is it a perfume or cologne of some kind? No to both

is shaving relevant? soap? shaving cream? aftershave? No to all

Does this occur in a specific room? Yes more than one room? No could it happen anywhere in the house? Yes (it occurs in my bedroom, but it could also just as likely occur in, say, the bathroom, and I've done this thing in the kitchen before)
Balin

Postby Grip » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Is the liquid used for cleaning at all? mouthwash?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:52 pm

Is the liquid medicine? Are the bulges part of your body? Do you put liquid in your mouth?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Is the liquid used for cleaning at all? No, but there are other liquids that are part of the morning routine that are used for cleaning mouthwash? No

Is the liquid medicine? No Are the bulges part of your body? Yes! Do you put liquid in your mouth? No
Balin

Postby Grip » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:35 pm

These other liquids...are they used for cleaning people? furniture? counters? the air?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Are the bulges part of any normal human body? Joints relevant? Muscles? Fat? Facial features?
GalFisk

Postby jumpingjacks » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:24 pm

After your hands get wet, would they be considered dirty? Would you need to wash them? Or simply dry them?
2 bulges... Are they your buttocks? Are these bulges on your upper body? Lower?
jumpingjacks

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:08 am

These other liquids...are they used for cleaning people? furniture? counters? the air? No to all

Are the bulges part of any normal human body? No
Joints relevant? Muscles? Fat? Facial features? This, No to rest

After your hands get wet, would they be considered dirty? No Would you need to wash them? Or simply dry them? I could just dry them, but I do wash them
2 bulges... Are they your buttocks? Afraid not, Lady Mix-a-Lot
Are these bulges on your upper body? This Lower?
Balin

Postby jumpingjacks » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:23 am

That's a shame ;)
Are these bulges actually part of your usual face? Or are they temporary? Have you perhaps had your wisdom teeth extracted? Or had some other medical procedure carried out? Have you fallen ill? Had an allergic reaction? Been bitten or stung? Would the bulges be considered swelling of some sort?
Where are the bulges - jaw? nose? eyes? cheeks? chin? forehead? ears? mouth? temples? top of head?
jumpingjacks

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:42 pm

That's a shame ;)
Are these bulges actually part of your usual face? Yes Or are they temporary?
Have you perhaps had your wisdom teeth extracted? Or had some other medical procedure carried out? Have you fallen ill? Had an allergic reaction? Been bitten or stung? No to all of these
Would the bulges be considered swelling of some sort? No
Where are the bulges - jaw? nose? eyes? This cheeks? chin? forehead? ears? mouth? temples? top of head?
Balin

Postby Grip » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:02 pm

Is your vision relevant? glasses? eye drops? tears relevant?

Does the liquid run off your eyes and onto your hands? does any other part of you get wet because of your eyes?

Sigh, this next question might sound inappropriate...but...do your eyes bug out for some reason?
Grip

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:05 pm

Is your vision relevant? Yes, very glasses? No, OTRT eye drops? Also OTRT tears relevant? No

Does the liquid run off your eyes and onto your hands? No does any other part of you get wet because of your eyes? No

Sigh, this next question might sound inappropriate...but...do your eyes bug out for some reason? No (and I wasn't offended by that question either)
Balin

Postby Grip » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:08 pm

Contact lenses relevant? contact lenses cleaner? and when you clean the contacts when in your eyes or out of your eyes the liquid also gets all over your hands?
Grip

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:21 pm

Contact lenses relevant? Yes contact lenses cleaner? That's the "other liquids" I mentioned a few posts up and when you clean the contacts when in your eyes or out of your eyes The latter the liquid also gets all over your hands? This isn't the wetness from the puzzle statement
Balin

Postby Grip » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Is the whole routine then cleaning your contact lenses? putting on your lenses? taking them off? some mixture of all of these?

Is rubbing alcohol relevant?
Grip

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Is the whole routine then cleaning your contact lenses? putting on your lenses? taking them off? some mixture of all of these? The morning routine is: I clean my lenses, something else, I put them on. There are times when I have to take them off and repeat the routine. But it's that "something else" that's the key to the puzzle.

Is rubbing alcohol relevant? No
Balin

Postby Grip » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Is the something else done to your eyes?

Do you get the liquid from doing the something else on your hands because without your contacts in you can't see as well?
Grip

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:36 pm

Is the something else done to your eyes? Yope

Do you get the liquid from doing the something else on your hands because without your contacts in you can't see as well? Yes
Balin

Postby Grip » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:21 pm

Is the something else done to your face?
Grip

Postby jumpingjacks » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:56 pm

Missing part of the routine - is your contact lens case relevant? You fill them with solution? You wash them? Do you do something with your glasses?

Bulges - do you just mean that you have myopia? A non-myopic eye is kinda round, whereas a myopic eye is longer and stretched. Is this what you mean by bulges? Do you have astigmatism? In which case the cornea curve is different - is this the bulge?
jumpingjacks

Postby Balin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:06 pm

Is the something else done to your face? No

Missing part of the routine - is your contact lens case relevant? No You fill them with solution? Yes, this is the answer. You wash them? I do clean them in the mornings Do you do something with your glasses? I don't have glasses

Bulges - do you just mean that you have myopia? No A non-myopic eye is kinda round, whereas a myopic eye is longer and stretched. Is this what you mean by bulges? No, but OTRT – see below
Do you have astigmatism? No, but... In which case the cornea curve is different - is this the bulge? ...Yes, the bulges are my corneas.

I'll explain here:

****SPOILER****

I have keratoconus – my corneas bulge out – so I have to wear scleral contact lenses in order to see clearly. These lenses must be filled with saline solution before I put them in my eyes; it's the filling of the lenses (because they have to be filled over the brim of the lens, with no air bubbles) that leads to my hands getting wet, when the saline solution spills over.

For more information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratoconus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scleral_lens
Balin

Re: [Balin] (*SOLVED*) Battle of the bulges

Postby jumpingjacks » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:38 pm

Wow, didn't know that! Thanks for the puzzle :)
jumpingjacks

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles