[rcb] Wahlverwandtschaften

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: kalira, peter365, JenBurdoo, Balin, Tiger

[rcb] Wahlverwandtschaften

Postby rcb » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:31 am

Last week I felt in the mood for cooking, so I went out to buy a specific ingredient. Not finding it, I returned home, a bit disappointed. However, in about half an hour after returning, I took an important decision that will likely affect my life in the years to come (for better or for worse).

How come?
rcb

Re: [rcb] Wahlverwandtschaften

Postby Twilightseeker » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:33 am

Was the decision about the missing ingredient? Was it relevant what the ingredient was? If so, was it a plant? Did you decide to start growing a garden?
Twilightseeker

Postby peter365 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:38 am

Did you prepare the dish without the ingredient? Did it taste better than it would have otherwise? Did you resolve to stop eating a certain food type?
peter365

Postby Solong » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:48 pm

WAG: Did you decide to go on a diet?
Solong

Postby Grip » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:23 pm

Is the decision unrelated to cooking or eating at all?
Grip

Postby rcb » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:42 am

Twilightseeker:

Was the decision about the missing ingredient? No Was it relevant what the ingredient was? No If so, was it a plant? No, it was a piece of meat Did you decide to start growing a garden? So, no.

Peter:

Did you prepare the dish without the ingredient? I didn't prepare anything, in the end, missing the key ingredient. Did it taste better than it would have otherwise? Did you resolve to stop eating a certain food type? No to the rest.

Solong:

WAG: Did you decide to go on a diet? No, but you aimed in the right direction.

Grip:

Is the decision unrelated to cooking or eating at all? Yes, it is unrelated.
rcb

Postby GalFisk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:18 am

Is the decision related to: health? Addiction? Shopping? Finance? Work? Hobbies? Home life? Transportation? Is it a lifestyle change?
GalFisk

Postby rcb » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:38 am

Is the decision related to: health? No Addiction? Yessish Shopping? No Finance? Yessish Work? Hobbies? No Home life? Transportation? Is it a lifestyle change? Yes. Unanswered are a no.
rcb

Postby Twilightseeker » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:57 am

Did you decide to stop buying something? Start buying something? Anything related to a habit?
Twilightseeker

Postby rcb » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:15 am

Did you decide to stop buying something? Yes, at some point in the future Start buying something? No Anything related to a habit? Yes
rcb

Postby GalFisk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Quit tobacco? Alcohol? Caffeine? Some other substance? Some non-substance habit? Is the habit related to the food you failed to make?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Did you quit the habit? Did you simply decide not to take up the habit?
Balin

Postby Westing1992 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:04 pm

Did you go vegan/vegetarian?
Had the ingredient been recalled for some reason?
Did you cancel a subscription to something?
Westing1992

Postby rcb » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:46 am

GalFisk:

Quit tobacco? This one. Alcohol? Caffeine? Some other substance? Some non-substance habit? Is the habit related to the food you failed to make? No.

Balin:

Did you quit the habit? Not yet. Did you simply decide not to take up the habit? No

Westing1992:

Did you go vegan/vegetarian? No
Had the ingredient been recalled for some reason? No, it wasn't available at the moment at my local store. For the record, it was beef tripe, but that's irrelevant to the puzzle.
Did you cancel a subscription to something? No
rcb

Postby Grip » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:10 pm

When you were out to buy the tripe, did you buy tobacco? think about buying it? is the price of tobacco vs. meat tripe relevant?

Is it relevant where you went to look for tripe? was it in more than one place?
Grip

Postby Westing1992 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:36 pm

Was the method you traveled to the store relevant? Did you find you were out of breath?
Did you return at a different time than you would have if you had found the ingredient?
Westing1992

Postby rcb » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:54 am

Grip:

When you were out to buy the tripe, did you buy tobacco? think about buying it? is the price of tobacco vs. meat tripe relevant?

Is it relevant where you went to look for tripe? was it in more than one place? No to all

Westing1992:

Was the method you traveled to the store relevant? Did you find you were out of breath?
Did you return at a different time than you would have if you had found the ingredient? No to all
rcb

Postby GalFisk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:26 am

Ig they had had tripe, would you not have decided to quit tobacco? Relevant why you want to quit? If so: health? Money? Time wasted? Environmentalism? Being a role model? Fire risk? Do you smoke it? Relevant how you traveled to the store? Did the wasted trip highlight a disadvantage to you tobacco habit?
GalFisk

Postby rcb » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:19 am

Ig they had had tripe, would you not have decided to quit tobacco? Yes, I wouldn't probably Relevant why you want to quit? Not really. A combination of what you mentioned (without the fire risk). I smoke for 25+ years, so I thought enough it's enough. However, even though I thought about this for some time, after the events to which this puzzle alludes, I decided it's time If so: health? Money? Time wasted? Environmentalism? Being a role model? Fire risk? Do you smoke it? Smoke what? Relevant how you traveled to the store? No. I walked. Did the wasted trip highlight a disadvantage to you tobacco habit? No
rcb

Postby LemonCurry » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:56 am

Have you asked a shop assistant if they had tripe? Was their reaction relevant?
Or couldn't you find an assistant because they were out smoking?

Is any other person smoking relevant?
LemonCurry

Postby rcb » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:40 am

Have you asked a shop assistant if they had tripe? Yes Was their reaction relevant? No
Or couldn't you find an assistant because they were out smoking? No

Is any other person smoking relevant? No
rcb

Postby Balin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:25 pm

Would you have bought tobacco if you had bought tripe at that time? Did you choose not to buy tobacco because you could not buy tripe?
Balin

Postby rcb » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:36 am

Would you have bought tobacco if you had bought tripe at that time? No Did you choose not to buy tobacco because you could not buy tripe? No, and a FA. I never intended to buy tobacco at that time.
rcb

Postby LemonCurry » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:42 am

Relevant what you ate instead of the beef tripe dish? Was ist something expensive? Something considered unhealthy?
LemonCurry

Postby biograd » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:36 pm

Is it relevant that most people find tripe disgusting (well, maybe not most, but many at least)? Do you eat tripe because of perceived health benefits? Maybe you thought to yourself "I endure eating tripe to be healthy, wouldn't it be just as easy (or easier) to quit smoking"?

Alternatively, is it relevant that tripe is made from internal organs of an animal? Did thinking about tripe make you wonder how your own organs must be impacted by tobacco?
biograd

Postby rcb » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:26 am

LemonCurry:

Relevant what you ate instead of the beef tripe dish? No Was ist something expensive? No, I think I bought a pizza. Something considered unhealthy? In these days, everyone thinks something is unhealthy, Not relevant.

Biograd:

Is it relevant that most people find tripe disgusting (well, maybe not most, but many at least)? No Do you eat tripe because of perceived health benefits? No, just because I like it Maybe you thought to yourself "I endure eating tripe to be healthy, wouldn't it be just as easy (or easier) to quit smoking"? Good idea, but no.

Alternatively, is it relevant that tripe is made from internal organs of an animal? Did thinking about tripe make you wonder how your own organs must be impacted by tobacco? No, and maybe a FA assumption is lurking. The fact that I went to buy tripe is real, but not at all relevant. I could've gone to buy anything else.
rcb

Postby Balin » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Is it relevant where you would typically buy tobacco? Would you buy at it at the same place you went to buy tripe?
Balin

Postby rcb » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:09 am

Is it relevant where you would typically buy tobacco? No, I buy it where I find it, nothing special. Would you buy at it at the same place you went to buy tripe? No, that's a regular place where they sell meat.
rcb

Postby peter365 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:11 am

Did you not find the tripe because they didn't stock it or had just sold the last of it? Is a specific side effect of smoking relevant ? breathlessness?
peter365

Postby Grip » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:02 pm

Is the specific type or brand of tobacco(s) you smoke relevant? it's color? shape? texture?

Just to make sure, this is smoking tobacco you are referring to, not chewing tobacco or the like?

Do you plan to use a substitute of some kind for using tobacco?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:00 pm

If you'd gone to buy something else, would you only have decided to quit smoking if that something else had been out of stock? Would it work if you'd gone to meet someone, who didn't show up?
GalFisk

Postby rcb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:25 am

GalFisk:

If you'd gone to buy something else, would you only have decided to quit smoking if that something else had been out of stock? Might've been a possibility, Yessish Would it work if you'd gone to meet someone, who didn't show up? I doubt it.

Grip:

Is the specific type or brand of tobacco(s) you smoke relevant? it's color? shape? texture? No, I smoke regular cigarettes, I do not have a preference about a type.

Just to make sure, this is smoking tobacco you are referring to, not chewing tobacco or the like? Yes, smoking tobacco. Not relevant, I guess, but don't know any other type.

Do you plan to use a substitute of some kind for using tobacco? NO! And that might be relevant.

Peter:

Did you not find the tripe because they didn't stock it or had just sold the last of it? Irrel. They normally have it. At that specific moment it was lacking. Is a specific side effect of smoking relevant ? breathlessness? No. Maybe cost of the vice.

HINT: The key to the puzzle is an event that happened after I returned home, not finding tripe. It could have happened after returning home and not finding any other thing, eventually, with a small caveat.
rcb

Postby GalFisk » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:11 pm

When you returned home without tripe, did you: eat something else? Find that your cravings for tripe had subsided? Eat nothing? Smoke? Not smoke? Do you usually smoke after a meal? Relevant?
GalFisk

Postby rcb » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:01 pm

When you returned home without tripe, did you: eat something else? Find that your cravings for tripe had subsided? Eat nothing? Smoke? Not smoke? Do you usually smoke after a meal? Relevant? All irrelevant. I did something else, though.
rcb

Postby GalFisk » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:02 pm

Did you do something related to: food? Money? Shopping? Household chores? Relaxing? Socializing? Entertainment? Home maintenance? Home repairs? Vehicles?
GalFisk

Postby rcb » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:37 am

Did you do something related to: food? Yesish Money? Noish Shopping? Eventually Household chores? No Relaxing? No-ish Socializing? Definitely not Entertainment? Home maintenance? Home repairs? Vehicles? The rest are all a no.
rcb

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:00 pm

Were you checking where else you could find tripe? On the Internet?
LemonCurry

Postby rcb » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:16 pm

Were you checking where else you could find tripe? Not really, but OTRT On the Internet? Yes! Great leap forward!
rcb

Postby Grip » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:01 pm

When you were on the web, did you come across info about smoking? how to quit smoking?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:52 pm

Were you looking up recipes?
GalFisk

Postby rcb » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:26 pm

When you were on the web, did you come across info about smoking? how to quit smoking?
Were you looking up recipes?

Yes to all. While trying to find out some recipes to replace my tripe for the day, I was presented with an ad about some method of quitting smoking, which I decided to follow... some day.

Thanks to all who participated.
rcb

Postby Grip » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:10 pm

Good one!
Grip

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles