[Doriana] Black and blue

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] Black and blue

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:29 pm

An online shop sells products for a specific hobby. In the past few months, sales of a particular item have skyrocketed, but the majority of people who bought it do not use it for its intended purpose. What's the item and what do people use it for?
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] Black and blue

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:36 pm

O hai Doriana kitteh! iz gud tu seez yuo!

So, an online shop. Yours? Someone else's? If it isn't you, do you know the seller personally?

Is the online shop an online presence of a German department store of unusual size? Can one buy things of infinite size on certain floors? The ground floor? First floor? Second floor? Left-hand side? Right-hand side? (for those who don't know, I'm referencing an old puzzle of Doriana's which I absolutely loved. :D )

Is the item alive? Is it made of products from a living creature? A creature that was, at one time alive?

Is it clothing? Food? Furniture? Office supplies? A toy?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:41 pm

O hai Doriana kitteh! iz gud tu seez yuo!
Iz gud to see mai Kaylee kitteh too!

So, an online shop. Yours? No Someone else's? Yes If it isn't you, do you know the seller personally? No

Is the online shop an online presence of a German department store of unusual size? Can one buy things of infinite size on certain floors? The ground floor? First floor? Second floor? Left-hand side? Right-hand side? (for those who don't know, I'm referencing an old puzzle of Doriana's which I absolutely loved. :D )
Haha, I'm glad you loved the puzzle and you still remember it. However, it's not relevant to the current puzzle :P

Is the item alive? Is it made of products from a living creature? A creature that was, at one time alive? No to all

Is it clothing? Food? Furniture? Office supplies? A toy? No to all, although toy is closest.
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:52 pm

A tool? Something decorative? Crafting materials? Utensils? Something electric? Electronic? Edible? Liquid? Flammable? Do people who buy it puzzlily use it for: fun? Necessoty? To simplify something? To follow a trend? To help with an annoyance?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:54 pm

A tool? Something decorative? Crafting materials? Utensils? Something electric? Electronic? Edible? Liquid? Flammable? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't recommend trying to set it on fire Do people who buy it puzzlily use it for: fun? yes Necessoty? To simplify something? To follow a trend? yesish To help with an annoyance?
All unanswered are no.
Doriana

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:03 pm

So toy is closest...Is it a collectible of some sort? A replica prop from a movie or TV show? Something to put on display?

Does the item cost (sorry for doing this in American dollars, I have no idea what exchange rates are) : between 1 and 10 dollars? 10 - 25? 25-50? 50-100? More than a hundred dollars? More than a thousand?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:09 pm

I'll try the hobby aspect...is it coins? stamps? model trains? scrapbooking? reading? sewing? sport? RCing? ham radio? sailing? fishing? beach-combing?
Grip

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Kaylee kitteh

So toy is closest...Is it a collectible of some sort? A replica prop from a movie or TV show? Something to put on display? No to all, see below

Does the item cost (sorry for doing this in American dollars, I have no idea what exchange rates are) : between 1 and 10 dollars? This. The cheapest version is approx. USD$ 7.30 / € 7 / £ 6 including shipping 10 - 25? 25-50? 50-100? More than a hundred dollars? More than a thousand?

Grip

I'll try the hobby aspect...is it coins? stamps? model trains? scrapbooking? reading? sewing? sport? yes RCing? ham radio? sailing? fishing? beach-combing?
Doriana

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Is the item related to a team sport? played with a ball?
Grip

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:33 pm

Is the item related to a team sport? played with a ball?
Yes to both.
Doriana

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:36 pm

I've heard that some people are using lacrosse balls as massagers...is that it?
Grip

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:49 pm

I've heard that some people are using lacrosse balls as massagers...is that it? Wow, that was fast. Good job!

*****SPOILER*****

Massage balls like the black roll have become increasingly popular over the last two years or so. However, not everyone is willing or able to spend $ 10 on a massager, so people are looking for cheaper alternatives, one of which is a lacrosse ball which is similar in size and texture, but a lot cheaper. There are only two online shops in Germany that sell them (and no physical stores, because lacrosse is not that popular over here) and they have noted an increase in lacrosse ball sales, but not other lacrosse items, in the past year which is probably due to the people who use them as massagers.
Doriana

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:50 pm

O.O interesting! I don't know much at all about lacrosse, but that's definitely interesting ^_^ good puzzle!
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Sheer luck that I solved that! Last month (and year) I was looking for some sports equipment on Ebay including lacrosse balls and saw that many of them were being marketed as massagers. I thought there was a good chance it might be something else though, or I would have PM'd you first.

BTW, lacrosse balls are very soft and very bouncy.
Grip

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Grip wrote:BTW, lacrosse balls are very soft
My perpetually bruised thighs beg to differ :P
Do you play lacrosse?
Doriana

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Everything is soft until it hits ya! :)

No, don't play lacrosse myself, but I collect just about everything and recently decided to collect at least one ball from every sport. Hence my being on Ebay and now being the proud owner of three lacrosse balls (one loose and two in package.)

Edit: Decided to go back and see what the lacrosse ball felt like again and Doriana is very much right, it was nowhere near as soft as I remembered it being! :)
Grip

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Welcome back Doriana! Enjoyed this puzzle; wish I could have taken part!
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles