{KayleeArafinwiel} 214

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

{KayleeArafinwiel} 214

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:37 pm

He gave us all a gift - as was only proper. If only he was still here to see how much we loved it...
KayleeArafinwiel

Re: {KayleeArafinwiel} 214

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Is the title relevant? If so, does it refer to something that happened 214 years ago?

He = H/A/M? A famous person? Someone you know personally?

Is he no longer "here" because he died?
Doriana

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Is the title relevant? Yes If so, does it refer to something that happened 214 years ago? Not 214 years ago, but 214 is relevant in another way.

He = H/A/M? A famous person? yes to bothSomeone you know personally? no, because...

Is he no longer "here" because he died? yes
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:54 pm

Considering that today is Tolkien's birthday and you've posted about it on facebook - is JRR Tolkien relevant? Is his birthday relevant?

The gift - his written works? A specific part of them?

Just some random guesses because I barely know anything about Tolkien... Does 214 refer to a page number? To the number of words in a certain quote/passage from his writings? To the age of any of his characters?
Doriana

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:57 pm

Considering that today is Tolkien's birthday it is and you've posted about it on facebook ...oops, forgot I did that. - is JRR Tolkien relevant?always, except when he isn't :P but yes Is his birthday relevant?Very, but not just his birthday...

The gift - his written works?yes A specific part of them?yes

Just some random guesses because I barely know anything about Tolkien...I live to serve and instruct, kitteh Does 214 refer to a page number? no, but this is closestTo the number of words in a certain quote/passage from his writings? noTo the age of any of his characters?nor this, I'm afraid
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Are birthdays in general relevant? The birthday(s) of one or more of his characters? Does he talk about birthdays in his writings?

If it's not a page number, is it the number of a written work itself? I'm thinking along the lines of Shakespeare's sonnets, which have numbers instead of titles. Is this on the right track? If so, does 214 refer to a poem? a diary entry? a letter? an aphorism? some other short(ish) text?
Doriana

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Are birthdays in general relevant? yesThe birthday(s) of one or more of his characters? yesDoes he talk about birthdays in his writings?oh yes :)

If it's not a page number, is it the number of a written work itself?[b]yes[/b] I'm thinking along the lines of Shakespeare's sonnets, which have numbers instead of titles. :) Is this on the right track?very much so If so, does 214 refer to a poem? a diary entry? a letter?this an aphorism? some other short(ish) text?no to the rest
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Doriana » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Ok... so let me try to put this together. In his Letter 214, Tolkien writes about birthdays, more specifically the birthdays of his characters. This letter, along with the rest of his written work, is a gift to us, but because Tolkien is no longer alive, he cannot see how much his fans love his writings. Correct? Anything left to find out?
Doriana

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Ok... so let me try to put this together. In his Letter 214, Tolkien writes about birthdays, yes more specifically the birthdays of his characters. yesThis letter, along with the rest of his written work, is a gift to us, but because Tolkien is no longer alive, he cannot see how much his fans love his writings. Correct?yes Anything left to find out?no, that looks about right for the

***SPOILER***

In the Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, (which are pretty much Exactly What It Says On The Tin, as TVTropes would say - a number of letters Professor Tolkien wrote to various correspondents, including family, friends, and publishers), Letter #214 is a draft of a letter sent in reply to one A.C. Nunn, a fan who pointed out an inconsistency between the Hobbit custom of gifting others on their birthdays, and Gollum (who was a Hobbit once upon a time)'s insistence that the One Ring was his "birthday present". Professor Tolkien clarifies the customs Hobbits have in regards to the byrding (the one whose birthday it is), regarding the giving and receiving of birthday presents. In summary, from info gleaned in Letter 214 and LOTR, and these are not direct quotes...

Byrdings are customarily gifted the eveningbefore the birthday by close family and friends - no later than nuncheon on The Day itself, at least. They in turn give gifts to others - certainly all relations as close as, or closer, than second cousins would expect to be gifted, unless they lived more than twelve miles from the byrding and could not attend the Party. (A token gift might be sent by post, of course, if the byrding wished to gift "twelve-mile cousins", and then normally the gift was food.)

Sometimes two or more byrdings in a family would share a birthday (common enough, in large Hobbit families), and then the eldest byrding was considered the host of the Party. This happened most famously with Bilbo and Frodo Baggins.
Last edited by KayleeArafinwiel on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby JenBurdoo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Kaylee!

Hm. Religious personage? Historical event relevant?
JenBurdoo

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Kaylee! Jen!! :)

Hm. Religious personage?not really, though he was devoutly Catholic Historical event relevant?DYOD of 'historical' :)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:01 pm

Good puzzle, hate that I missed it!
Grip

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Good puzzle, hate that I missed it! Thanks! I'm hoping to come up with another one soon :)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Whoops, entered the puzzle too late. Good one! I own Letters but haven't read much of it - must delve (but not too deep!).
JenBurdoo

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles